PDA

View Full Version : Do you tell your mates you play?

Simo429
22-07-2010, 10:05
As it stands my mates have no idea why I don't go out on a Thursday night any more and that is because I'm playing 40k, it will be even worse when the UEFA cup starts again and I don't go out on Wednesdays instead

Its not like its anything to be ashamed of but I know I'd get the **** ripped out of me so do you admit that you are a gamer?

Nakor
22-07-2010, 10:15
harden up, nothing to be ashamed of.

Godzooky
22-07-2010, 10:18
Mum, Dad. I have something to tell you: I play. :eyebrows:

Jonny_N
22-07-2010, 10:19
haha All my friends know. People at work know, i never try to hide it. Its not a disease or anything man. Often covering it up is a sign of your own insecurities about your hobby.

Mannimarco
22-07-2010, 10:28
^ this

revel in your geekiness! be proud of your nerdiness!

unless your ashamed of your hobby......?

the1stpip
22-07-2010, 10:28
My friends generally are people who I play with.

My work friends are impressed by my models, when they see them (which is rarely), my wife thinks its geeky, but prefers it to me drinking or smoking.

I cant be bothered to bem secret. If you want to take the mick out of me, then you are not worthy of being my friend.

Finnith
22-07-2010, 10:34
Some of my friends know and dont care. Others I know arnt interested at all in that sort of stuff so I wont even bring it up in a conversation.

hawo0313
22-07-2010, 11:04
I leave my models on the shelf in my room (I'm in a boarding house) everyone knows I play basically and honestly they dont care or dont know they just watch my work in progress army as it changes. I actually like it when they comment it feels likt your getting somewhere with the army painting wise

Shadow Lord
22-07-2010, 11:15

My work friends are impressed by my models, when they see them (which is rarely), my wife thinks its geeky, but prefers it to me drinking or smoking.

I cant be bothered to bem secret. If you want to take the mick out of me, then you are not worthy of being my friend.

That basically covers it for me!:D

Some players I know are more hesitant about revealing their secret but that's because they're afraid that the girls they know will laugh at them, thus crippling their chances to get some...;)

I'm married with kids so I don't have that problem!!:D

AFnord
22-07-2010, 11:19
Some players I know are more hesitant about revealing their secret but that's because they're afraid that the girls they know will laugh at them, thus crippling their chances to get some...
Most girls over here either shrugs or says "cool, I know another person who plays warhammer" when I mention it.
I don't tell everyone about it as soon as I meet them, but if someone asks what I do, I'll tell them that I play warhammer (,pen & paper RPGs and board games in general).

Mart007
22-07-2010, 11:26
Most girls would have no idea what it is anyway!! that said I have wife and child and you seem to be a lot less bothered about stuff like that (yeah Im turning into an embarrassing dad - sue me!). I had a ten year break between 17 and 27 and was married when I got back into it...! Thats how to do it ;)

But just tell them - most will thinks its lame, but they wont really be that arsed even if they do...

Lexal Graves
22-07-2010, 11:28
Everyone I know already knows I play, and not just Warhammer 40k, but also Magic, D&D, Battletech and Shadowrun. Heck, My wife joins me for some of the games. :D

Dvnjhn
22-07-2010, 11:31
Mate, I am 32. I doubt any one who know's me would consider myself a geek (although I am proud to admit I am one) and I will tell anyone that I play. I even get my models out to paint if the Mrs has her mates round, etc. Yes your friends will rip the urine out of you, and others may even use it to try to offend you - but dont let it. Its a unique game, and with it comes a tag - wear it with pride and never hide your hobbies.

Latro_
22-07-2010, 11:41
I get flak for it down the pub but then there is a great comeback from it.

So its for kids:
you: 'Do kids play football (insert sport)?'
mates: 'well yea'
you: 'so kids play football and so do adults and you love watching and playing football... i'm not seeing a difference here.'

Its so geeky, all socially backwards nerds.
You: 'You know in football, are there hooligans that act different from normal fans, like idiots?'
Mates: 'well yea'
You: 'you wouldent consider your self one of those people would you? or part of that thug cliché?'
Mates: 'well no'
You: 'well in wargaming there sure are nerdy social rejects, but like you i'm not part of that cliche, see what i mean'

Don't care its still nerdy, roll all those dice and stuff
You: 'Is playing fifa/xbox/ps3/insert their fav game nerdy?'
Mates: 'Erm nah'
You: 'So you sit down with your mates and push buttons to manipulate invisble statistics you cannot see...'
Mates: 'I guess...'
You: 'So i stand up with mates and roll dice to manipulate statistics etc that I can see..., not sure what the difference is here'

You can apply the same methodology with watching films e.g. gamin is like a film in ye head, same with reading books etc...

But c'mon mate you sit for hours gluing lil men and painting them, GEEK!
You: 'Would you feel manly if you opened the bonet of a car and could mess with it to make it look cool, or put a shelf up, or insert other practical activity'
Mates: 'erm'
You: 'Same thing, different scale'

chromedog
22-07-2010, 11:47
Most of my mates are gamers.

Otherwise, if they were going to give me crap about my hobbies, they wouldn't be mates.

Shadow Lord
22-07-2010, 11:47
Well, since GW broke thru in the last decennia the resistance against people playing this sort of game has lowered considerably. For me, there is still some aura of geekiness surrounding the game, it's the kinda of stereotype that Hollywood loves to use when portraying the ultimate geek.
But luckily more and more men and women are getting involved in the overall gaming scene (be it boardgames, cardgames, PC...etc). It's becoming mainstream to be a gamer whatever your personal background (geek/jock/emo/old/young/male/female...and the list goes on and on)!

Thud
22-07-2010, 11:52
"Hey, wanna come over to my place and check out my toy soldiers?"

I can't see that not working. :)

Askari
22-07-2010, 11:52
Yup, everyone of my mates know I play. They're ok with it, and if they weren't, they'd be poor friends anyway.

40k is a part of who I am, if that labels me as a "nerd" fine see if I care. Although it can be funny seeing people reactions when they hear I wargame AND play American Football, stereotype clash!

Mart007
22-07-2010, 11:53
Shouldnt you play Rugby coming from Wales??

Bang another stereotype.... lol

Hunger
22-07-2010, 11:54
Do you tell your mates you play?

Er yeah, its pretty hard to get a game if nobody knows you play.

my wife thinks its geeky, but prefers it to me drinking or smoking.

Ah, my two other favourite hobbies.

Shadow Lord
22-07-2010, 11:55
Yup, everyone of my mates know I play. They're ok with it, and if they weren't, they'd be poor friends anyway.

40k is a part of who I am, if that labels me as a "nerd" fine see if I care. Although it can be funny seeing people reactions when they hear I wargame AND play American Football, stereotype clash!

Lol, same here! People find it hard to picture me playing with miniatures when they're used to seeing me busting heads as an outside linebacker for over 15 years (retired now)...but hell, I'm a GAMER...see if I care what they think about it...:evilgrin:

Adjustquantity
22-07-2010, 12:06
"my wife thinks its geeky, but prefers it to me drinking or smoking." -the1stpip post #6 on this thread

Exactly and oh boy did I use to be a drinker and a partier. (I dropped about 2 grand one night in Munich) This warhammer hobby has turned out to be cheaper and healthier!

And most of my friends play it too. This is no nerdier than being that guy who dresses up and paints his face like his favorite Football (not that soccer crap) team.

Hypaspist
22-07-2010, 12:09
Most of my friends play with toy soldiers, my work colleagues know I play with toy soldiers, It's not something to be ashamed of. :D

Very much like Latro stated, there are reasonable arguments against why you should be put in a box for playing a game of toy soldiers.

Be proud of your hobby!

zis
22-07-2010, 12:14
If it makes you happy then why feel ashamed of it.
My name is Zis and i play with Toys... :D

Earthbeard
22-07-2010, 12:19
haha All my friends know. People at work know, i never try to hide it. Its not a disease or anything man. Often covering it up is a sign of your own insecurities about your hobby.

Exactly, it's a hobby and a game, if you can't admit to playing it, I think it's the wrong one for you.

Hunger
22-07-2010, 12:59
Exactly, it's a hobby and a game, if you can't admit to playing it, I think it's the wrong one for you.

This sort of comment is very narrow minded - I wonder what makes some people think that their opinion, that certain players would be better off not playing the game, holds any importance whatsoever?

I can sympathise with a player not wanting to tell his friends about his hobby - I get plenty of stick from my non-gamer friends when the subject gets brought up in the pub, but fortunately I am quick-witted enough to parry their jibes and pull their pathetic lives apart in turn.

However, I can well imagine someone who is not so irreverent having a hard time trying to smile their way through the ridicule and feeling hurt that their friends laugh at their hobby, even in a joking way. If that was you, would you tell everyone you meet that you like playing a nerdy game with toy soldiers? I probably wouldn't.

The fact that the OP enjoys playing the game means it is the right game for him, how he handles his friends has no bearing on that.

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2010, 12:59

*sob* "... but, but we wanted grandchildren!"

:D

On topic:

If you try to hide it, dumb people will think there actually is something to hide and laugh at you when they find out.
If you act like you donīt care (openly carry plastic bags from your LGS, read a codex during your coffee break, discuss GW stuff in public with other gamers ...), you might get teased at first. If you continue to act as if you donīt care (or even better: look at the guy as if you pity him for having to pick on others to feel better himself), that will stop soon.

Mart007
22-07-2010, 13:30
If you try to hide it, dumb people will think there actually is something to hide and laugh at you when they find out.

QFT

Be blasé about it, there really is nothing wrong with it. I told a party full of people I played Warhammer the other week in a "cool people bar" (my preference is dirty old pub)... no one cared - some didnt even get it as they new not what it was, others said they used to play and i stirred some nostalgia for them, am I still a pillock - yes, just a gaming one..

The SkaerKrow
22-07-2010, 13:34
Only after I've mated with her. That way she's already become Warhammer's Weiner Cousin, so even if she thinks the game is nerdy, she'll be linked to it forever.

DaSpaceAsians
22-07-2010, 13:55
Most if not everyone who knows me knows I play Warhammer and frankly aren't really surprised since I'm kind of reputated for liking of anything war related and generally dubious sanity. Most people, despite my hobby and thick glasses, consider not very nerdy at all since I know how to function in society and can avoid having my hobby take over my social life unlike some guys whom I've met that bring their own laptops to school to play WoW on their homemade private server by themselves at each break :shifty:. It's because of this openness that I managed to get new players and friends.

However, it's led to funny anecdotes when people see me do army lists. Most notably was the girl who asked if she could join my army. My answer was "Ok, get ready to die. It'll be a pleasure to send you to an early grave."

I also answer that I do this to practice my future invasion of the world. :evilgrin:

Godzooky
22-07-2010, 14:43
Most notably was the girl who asked if she could join my army. My answer was "Ok, get ready to die. It'll be a pleasure to send you to an early grave."

Woah. Watch out, Lord Byron, there's a new charmer in town... ;)

SharpSilver
22-07-2010, 14:56
Couldn't care what anybody else thought of it. It's a brilliant hobby and I'm thankful my Cousin bought me a box of Grey Hunters a decade ago otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever encountered it.

What I do notice though, is that the people who take the **** of anybodies hobby (not 40k/GW games in particular) is that the vast majority of people that do, don't have a worthwhile hobby themselves that they take part in. Because they can't find anything worthwhile to do, and feel that war-gaming is branded 'nerdy' they undoubtably try to take the **** as much as possible to hide the fact that they are jealous of somebody else doing something which they enjoy.

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 15:00
Not only do I tell everybody I know that I play. I back it up with showing them some of my painted models from my phone. I even tell my students, I brought in my FW GUO when it came in the mail. It was a glorious day.

If you are young (not +20) then I could see you having some worries about people caring. I am 24 and dont give a hell if people think I am a nerd. well, that is because I am a nerd. Tech job, tech life, tabletop hobby, nerd girlfriend, and top it all of with 2 lvl 80 paladins. (thats right, two of them, AND a girlfriend, I beat the system)

Pushkin
22-07-2010, 15:08
Couldn't care what anybody else thought of it. It's a brilliant hobby and I'm thankful my Cousin bought me a box of Grey Hunters a decade ago otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever encountered it.

What I do notice though, is that the people who take the **** of anybodies hobby (not 40k/GW games in particular) is that the vast majority of people that do, don't have a worthwhile hobby themselves that they take part in. Because they can't find anything worthwhile to do, and feel that war-gaming is branded 'nerdy' they undoubtably try to take the **** as much as possible to hide the fact that they are jealous of somebody else doing something which they enjoy.

I agree. People don't seem to have hobbies anymore which i don't seem to get. I mean i have a full time job, ill go out on a fri/sat night, follow the prem league/champions league, i'm fanatical about film and i play a load of computer games plus i have a thing for wine but i still have loads of time on my hands to paint/play. i just wonder what people who have no hobbies at all do with all their free time.

Admitted i don't tell all my friends, but anyone who's come to my flat pretty much can't miss it. If you're that worried about the girls, collect vampire counts/blood angels and tell 'em its a twilight spin off!:D

Petay1985
22-07-2010, 15:12
my friends know, some of them play, my girlfriend think's its geeky but prefers me indulging in geekery than if i were to waste money on drinking! work collegues know, mostly don't care. other friends probably know, i don't hide it as such, i know they aren't interested so it doesn't come up in conversation. i am happy to be me, if other folk don't like it/me, its their problem...

...i just wonder what people who have no hobbies at all do with all their free time.
I often ponder this!?

viking657
22-07-2010, 15:14
My living room is so big I have a 6x4 table, cityscape, set up and a painting station. It fits in nicely I keep it tidy and its part of the furniture. I have a wife too and kids and they love the table.
Everyone who comes round sees it and it creates lots of positve conversations - now I just need some FW razor wire to stop everyone touching everything!

DarkAngelsG
22-07-2010, 15:19
Absolutely. It's how I find/get people to play. And, if they don't play/are uninterested, I can just leave it at as "it's a tabletop strategy game", and they typically don't pursue it.

Brucopeloso
22-07-2010, 15:24
I do not tell other people but I do not hide it either so most of my friends know...... I already have the BDSM stuff to keep hidden ;->

Keichi246
22-07-2010, 15:39
Dude-

I've been letting my geek flag fly for 25+ years. My mates ARE the ones I game with...

I used worry about what other people would think too. Then I realized that I really don't CARE.

There is a core lesson I learned in my late teens. People are STRANGE! Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE, has quirk, a hobby, a habit; something that is not "normal" about them. The trick to life is finding the people who's strangeness is compatible with your strangeness...

The people who go "ew! you're a gamer?" are generally not the people I'd want to hang with, anyways. Luckily, most people realize it's a hobby and either express a mild interest or ignore it. And as far as hobbies go - it's pretty harmless (unless you drop an X-acto point end first into your foot. OW!! :cries: )

And most of the time - it's cheaper than: 1) a solid night of drinking, 2) most vehicle modification parts, 3) a weekend paintball excursion, 4) golf, 5) any of the "collector" hobbies, and 6) most drug habits. :shifty:

At this point in my life - I just don't care what they think. I'm happily married (to a another gamer - though she's not into wargaming). I own a house (with a well equipped gaming table in the basement). The vast majority of my friends are gamers, and the rest realize that it is a hobby of mine. My co-workers know I'm a gamer (and the painted minis in my office compare reasonably to their desktop tchotchkes or pictures of dogs/frogs/etc they've put up).

Heck, my boss knows that my main yearly vacation is to GenCon in August...

I guess my point is - life's to short to hide doing what you enjoy (as long as it is legal :angel:). If they are really your friends - they'll accept your hobby as something you do to have fun.

Askari
22-07-2010, 16:21
my friends know, some of them play, my girlfriend think's its geeky but prefers me indulging in geekery than if i were to waste money on drinking!

They aren't mutually exclusive, my favourite game was against a friend, at a tournament, about 3 hours after we discovered there's a bar in the next room and had promptly drunk many pints of Guiness.

Orks and Chaos Marines ended up in a massive pile, literally, none standing upright on bases, in the middle, duking it out. The movement phase consisted on a one-hand shove to whatever unit you had in arm's length. It was great.

ulruk headsplitter
22-07-2010, 16:51
most people that are my age(16) are mostly occupied by what other people think of them (sadly) they go to great lenghts to hide their hobbies.
(one guy is extremely secretive about his wow "addiction")
for me personally, if someone finds out/asks about it, i'll tell them and if they don't care, that's cool, if they start making fun of it, they're no longer my friends.

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 17:02
As you get older and meet more tabletop friends its a whole different story. I have D&D players talking smack, the warmachine guys in my LGS are arrogant as all hell, and the card gamers never really talk to anyone else. Every once in a while some "hipster" will walk in and do a double take when he sees a bunch of guys playing tabletop. It is funny to watch how uncomfortable they are as they head back to the pinball machines.

My GF and I are constantly joking around with D&D vs 40k... 40k is so much cooler.

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2010, 17:05
My GF and I are constantly joking around with D&D vs 40k... 40k is so much cooler.

This is a joke, right? You didnīt use any smilies so itīs hard to tell ....

Anyways, if it wasnīt: Thatīs the attitude that keeps young gamers from going public, and would-be-gamers from becoming gamers at all.

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 17:09
Nope, dead serious. She plays D&D and I play 40k. Occasionally we get into a comparison of feats of strength...
"We killed a kraken last night, it was way cooler than 40k"
"My wolf lord ravaged through 10 assault marines, 5 termies and the leader of all ultramarines!"
"well D&D is cool because you ARE the character"
"well 40k is cool because you ARE the army"
this goes on, playfully, for a while...

I cannot convince her to even look at a codex, and I dont dig D&D (tried it a good lot of times too)

I still think 40k is waaay cooler.

don_mondo
22-07-2010, 17:12
Heh, I have 40K miniatures on my desk at work, frequently wear t-shirts from GW events, etc etc. Yeah, I'm way out of the closet...............

Xyrex
22-07-2010, 17:14
Well, I don't know about you people, but I personally am. I don't like to admit it, because although I play 40k, I am neither a geek nor nerd and the people that I hang out with look down on this sort of stuff. Just to give you an idea, I am 15 and one of the most athletic people at my school. I enjoy 40k, but try to hide the fact I even know what it is most of the time.

Mart007
22-07-2010, 17:16
My friends are not nerds - and yeah they rip the **** every now and again, but it would be about something else if not this... thats what mates do... no need to be sensitive about imo..

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 17:21
Well, I don't know about you people, but I personally am. I don't like to admit it, because although I play 40k, I am neither a geek nor nerd and the people that I hang out with look down on this sort of stuff. Just to give you an idea, I am 15 and one of the most athletic people at my school. I enjoy 40k, but try to hide the fact I even know what it is most of the time.

You know, when I was your age (10 years ago) playing video games qualified you as a geek or a nerd. The label is very hard to determine these days as what used to be looked down on is now VERY widespread. I teach video game design now, so ALL of my students are geeks and/or nerds. whether they admit it or not.
So I am curious what is a geek or nerd these days?

Anyways, if it wasnīt: Thatīs the attitude that keeps young gamers from going public, and would-be-gamers from becoming gamers at all.

Missed that part when I read the post. How is joking with my girl about which game is cooler (which is all done in private) prevent younger gamers from coming out of the box?

Justicar Valius
22-07-2010, 17:25

Just like to reiterate this last sentence here.

don_mondo
22-07-2010, 17:27
So I am curious what is a geek or nerd these days?

Geeks are the ones into games, whehter cards, miniatures, etc.
Nerds are the ones into computer stuff, especially online gaming (Warcraft, etc)

sliganian
22-07-2010, 17:30
Most girls over here either shrugs or says "cool, I know another person who plays warhammer" when I mention it.
I don't tell everyone about it as soon as I meet them, but if someone asks what I do, I'll tell them that I play warhammer (,pen & paper RPGs and board games in general).

A few years ago, an older female colleague at work found out about The Hobby and was fascinated. See, one of her hobbies was painting small porcelain vases, plates and such (think dollhouse sized stuff). So we had a good and interesting chat about painting small things that we wouldn't have had come up otherwise. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I started the hobby AFTER I was married, so no 'social impact' in that way.

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 17:32
Nerds are the ones into computer stuff, especially online gaming (Warcraft, etc)

Well what if you are into both?.... like I am.

A while back I read something like...
Nerds are into math, computers, and Science fiction
Geeks are into English, art, and Fantasy.

Or something like that. Its like trying to define the label "Gamer" its impossible.

@sliganian
Awesome Avatar!

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2010, 17:33
Missed that part when I read the post. How is joking with my girl about which game is cooler (which is all done in private) prevent younger gamers from coming out of the box?

I didnīt get the part where it was just a friendly trash-talk between you and your gf, sorry :)

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 17:40
I didnīt get the part where it was just a friendly trash-talk between you and your gf, sorry :)

Its cool, I could see if we were actually arguing about it, especially in public. It could cause a negative public image for gaming.

The Devourer
22-07-2010, 17:57
I don't and I know what the OP means. In some groups it's not the most accepted thing. It isn't like you can just decide they aren't your friend as they will still cause trouble about it.

sliganian
22-07-2010, 18:03

Clarifications:

Geek: In a more traditional sense of the word, a 'Geek' was/is anyone with a deep deep specialization in one area that they can talk at length on. You could be a History Geek, Math Geek, Science Geek, Ancient Chinese Fishing Methods geek, etc..

Nerd: the term 'nerds' may predate computers. To the wiki cave!

WindsorSpitfire
22-07-2010, 18:05
As it stands my mates have no idea why I don't go out on a Thursday night any more and that is because I'm playing 40k, it will be even worse when the UEFA cup starts again and I don't go out on Wednesdays instead

Its not like its anything to be ashamed of but I know I'd get the **** ripped out of me so do you admit that you are a gamer?

i have no problem telling my friends i play warhammer. and if they laughed at me, i would jsut counter mock them about thier hobbies whatever they may be. i play for my own fun and amusement, i really could not care less how it looks to somebody on the outside looking in.

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2010, 18:08
I don't and I know what the OP means. In some groups it's not the most accepted thing. It isn't like you can just decide they aren't your friend as they will still cause trouble about it.

I donīt know which situations youīre referring to, or if you are talking out of personal experience, but you have to stick your chest out.
Put that codex on the desk, if some jocks mock, watch them with one eyebrow slightly raised and an otherwise impassive face, donīt argue.

The ones who are picking on you while in school will be the ones cleaning your dustbins after youīre out of college.

Ozendorph
22-07-2010, 18:16
21 years in, I couldn't care less what people think. A few times my non-hobby friends have tried to razz me about it, but everyone lives in glass houses when it comes to this sort of thing. Besides, their views change quickly once they see the finished, painted models :)

DeadlySquirrel
22-07-2010, 18:19
all my matees knew i played, then were sure i quite.

im not telling them anymore, last time i did... they broke an entire eldar battleforce by throwing it down the stairs at school ='[

oh well, mates are mates and ive done worse to them =]

edit: im, not ashamed i play or anything like that... and i dont care if they think im a nerd, even if i am, i just dont want my expensive toy soldiers breaking XD

FabricatorGeneralMike
22-07-2010, 18:26

im not telling them anymore, last time i did... they broke an entire eldar battleforce by throwing it down the stairs at school ='[

edit: im, not ashamed i play or anything like that... and i dont care if they think im a nerd, even if i am, i just dont want my expensive toy soldiers breaking XD

I would of taken a tyre iron and layed the holy smackith downith on them if any of my 'friends' did that to me when I was a kid, then again we always did play a little rough.

I have NP telling anyone I play. My gf loves it because I am out of her hair most of the time, unless im showing her 'the most awsome thing ive ever done EVER!!!!!!1!1!!111!....' for that day. Come on you all know you do it to. Hell I even got her interested in Bablyon 5... she think the Vorlons are mean and nasty she calls Kosh's replacement Mr Mean. She didn't like Emperor Cartagia either, and was glad when Vier killed him =o] .. yeppers I am a Geek to the core and I love it =o]

sliganian
22-07-2010, 19:42
come on you all know you do it to. Hell i even got her interested in bablyon 5... she think the vorlons are mean and nasty

Just say to here in a deep echo-y voice: "YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND." :D

EDIT: Thinking on it, I think the Vorlons may be a better (truer?) portrayl of what Elves should be like vs. men than the Minbari. Discuss.

tuebor
22-07-2010, 21:42
Some players I know are more hesitant about revealing their secret but that's because they're afraid that the girls they know will laugh at them, thus crippling their chances to get some...;)

Most girls I've dated thought they were "neat" and some of them end up wanting to try painting, but luckily I keep some unpainted Guardsmen around to sacrifice.

Yes your friends will rip the urine out of you

That sounds like a very painful procedure.

It was always funny in the military when people found out about the hobby, as there are generally a lot of "secret" gamers.

Grimtuff
22-07-2010, 21:58

Wow. With friends like that that who needs enemies? You can tell your "mates" from me that they're all people with a Oedipus complex who are self pleasurers.

So, yeah.... :rolleyes:

Rochr
22-07-2010, 22:15
I only have one friend who knows and he doesn't really care. It is mainly because I don't really know why/how I would bring it up in a conversation with my buddies that most of them do not know... I mean, who gives a damn? If my friend would tell me he builds LEGO on his spare time why would I care or why would he tell me? We all do things we do not share with others and thats mainly because some interests are not shared, even between best buddies.

Now all my friends basically knows I play Chess and Go (Japanese type of chess) and none of them care. Some are even awed that I understand Go. All of my friends also know that I paint miniatures for money, mainly Warhammer. So I don't think they would care if I played it aswell.

DutchKillsRambo
22-07-2010, 23:15
Wow I guess everyone here is "so cool they don't care" and if anyone doesn't like your hobbies you shouldn't be friends with them? Really?

Honestly, I can completely see the point in not advertising it. I don't. If your friends arent the type that gets it or plays, then theres a good chance they're going to rib you for it. In the long run is it a big deal, not really. But why give them such easy ammunition to use?

Also, girls, at least the hot slutty type, are not going to be attracted to it. Not gonna happen. I know someones gonna respond with "oh but my girlfriend" or "if she makes fun of it she doesn't deserve you" or some variation of this. But the truth is most women are not going to be into warhammer. Well the ones I would like to be into at least.

So yeah, don't feel ashamed to keep it secret.

Foxhound_808
22-07-2010, 23:25
I am one of those people who is very ashamed of my hobby even though it has become a huge part of my life. When people ask what I do I try to bring up the "normal" activities I practice like going outside, playing music, reading, hanging out with friends, etc. When walking from the parking lot to the game store to play I try to make sure the books I'm carrying are hidden, and thankfully my battlefoam bag looks regular enough on its own.

I once dated a female (for the geeks like me: the female is a sub species of human which is difficult or impossible to communicate with and transforms into a horrific harpy once a month...you have probably seen them wandering around but haven't gone into direct contact with them more than once every few years) for a bit, and it still took me a few weeks before I was able to admit to her about my secret warhammer shame.

I'm generally pretty comfortable talking about it with my close friends and family though.

Askari
22-07-2010, 23:56
Honestly, I can completely see the point in not advertising it. I don't. If your friends arent the type that gets it or plays, then theres a good chance they're going to rib you for it. In the long run is it a big deal, not really. But why give them such easy ammunition to use?

Your friends will take the mickey out of you for something anyway, fact is tbat being your friends, they shouldn't really care. You can just "rib" them back about something they are passionate about.

I'm not advocating trying to pull girls with "hey, wanna see my Boltguns?" but if you're going to do more than sleep with them, they will find out about it, and again, they'll be ok with it, or not, who cares.

Being ashamed of Warhammer just reeks of a lack of self-confidence to me. Which is fine, but isn't really something to encourage.

LonelyPath
23-07-2010, 00:07
Just about everyone I know is aware of my hobby, it doesn;t bother them, some like to have a little light hearted joke about my playing with toy soldiers, but that's what it is to them as they have no interest in finding out more about it, which I'm fine with. Besides, I have much mre in common with my friends than gaming.

@ Askari - you're only about 45 miles from me, I'm up in Newtown :)

Foxhound_808
23-07-2010, 00:14
Being ashamed of Warhammer just reeks of a lack of self-confidence to me. Which is fine, but isn't really something to encourage.

And not being aware of the social implications that come with playing such a game reeks of social maladjustment, because the reality is many people do not understand or accept our hobby, and they will judge you regardless of how confident you feel in yourself.

Supposing I were into BDSM, should I be unafraid to tell everyone about it? Would that reek of a lack of self-confidence? Of course not. What it WOULD "reek of" would be the knowledge that some things come with attached social stigmas and an expected amount of judgement. Warhammer is not much different I feel.

Now I must add the very important caveat that this only refers to dealing with strangers. Obviously, if it's your family or close friends (who should accept you no matter what), then who cares...but people who don't feel any shame talking about warhammer in public, reading the books in school or at work, etc are probably lacking some sense of social awareness under the guise of being too confident or cool to care what others think (and news flash, everyone cares about what other people think...otherwise why would we wear deodorant for example?).

xv8
23-07-2010, 00:16
i do the hobby i'm 15 everyone knows i do it and everyone knows i'm good at it heck girls like to come see what i've painted cause they think its cool

gwarsh41
23-07-2010, 00:24
Wow I guess everyone here is "so cool they don't care" and if anyone doesn't like your hobbies you shouldn't be friends with them? Really?

I am more proud of it than not care. It is part of ME, it is part of a defining attribute of me. (the nerd that is) What kind of person walks this earth feeling ashamed of themselves? if you are ashamed, then dont do it. Dont live with regrets, be proud of who you are!

I am happy to: play 40k, know a crapload about computers, be able to publish an iPhone/android app, play video games. The only thing I dont advertise is that I play wow (at work). However if someone else starts talking, I am not afraid to jump in.
(I dont advertise playing wow at work because I dont need my students wanting to friend me and bug me while i relax)

metal midget
23-07-2010, 01:29
of people ask i tell them. if they don't why bother bring it up?

madprophet
23-07-2010, 01:40
I am "out" as a gamer.

My wife thinks it's geekly but she figures that it's harmless enough.

My rabbi things it's odd but he does like the chess set I made for him out of spare minis

My mates think I'm a little weird but they are sort of impressed I can get so much detail on a 1" figurine

My work friends think I am weird because I would rather play with toy soldiers on the weekend than go out and get hammered. (s'ok, I think they are weird for wanting to get hammered...)

I take a little ribbing but not much - and even then it's all in good fun.

Smarine14
23-07-2010, 01:46
I was talking to my friends about dawn of war when one said you do know that those games are based off a tabletop game. So after me saying yeah I have those models another says "oh me too" and "I have the LOTR ones" and "My dad collects skaven." So yeah tell your friends and you may be surprised ;)

Also someone said to me a while ago "so i hear you collect warhammer" , I just replied yeah it's pretty cool and they just said "Yeah I like it too" so go ahead and share your love of warhammer and you may get some back :p

kaimarion
23-07-2010, 02:29
Apparently my obsession with reptiles is more geeky than me playing with small plastic men or so my friends tell me lol. TBH I don't like telling people that I play warhammer and it's just one of those things you don't tell lassies about you just let them find out themselves.

insectum7
23-07-2010, 02:35
Decently painted mini's always help. A well put together army is a lot more accessible than half-busted minis with a coat of black primer. Presentation can be key.

Then again, if you have 10,000 painted minis you will slip into the "crazy" category again :)

DutchKillsRambo
23-07-2010, 03:38
I am more proud of it than not care. It is part of ME, it is part of a defining attribute of me. (the nerd that is) What kind of person walks this earth feeling ashamed of themselves? if you are ashamed, then dont do it. Dont live with regrets, be proud of who you are!

I am happy to: play 40k, know a crapload about computers, be able to publish an iPhone/android app, play video games. The only thing I dont advertise is that I play wow (at work). However if someone else starts talking, I am not afraid to jump in.
(I dont advertise playing wow at work because I dont need my students wanting to friend me and bug me while i relax)

See while I love 40k, I wouldn't qualify it as a defining aspect of who I am. To each his own I guess. And not advertising a hobby that has a stigma isn't the same as "walking the earth ashamed of themselves". Its simply trying to adhere to society's notions of normality. Just take an honest step back and think of some of the more colorful and/or smelly characters you've met in this hobby. Got one in mind? Good. That's what most people think of in general if you were to say Warhammer to them. Now I fully agree most gamers aren't stereotypes like that. But they are out there. And those dateless wonders are the ones that the general public connects with this hobby. Right or wrong, Im just not a huge fan of being thought of that way.

IcedAnimals
23-07-2010, 07:22
I force my mates to play...at gunpoint.

no but seriously, its something that has never been an issue. I don't go to any lengths to hide the hobby. I have a messy painting table that just sits there for all to see. If people bring it up ill gladly talk about it. However its not something I start conversations with.

I do know a guy who did that though. He would go out on a date and the first thing he would tell the girl (i paint plastic toy soldiers and play with them). I have no issue with a girl finding out about them AFTER I get her to my house. But starting the conversation with that isn't exactly getting her there.

Petay1985
23-07-2010, 08:34
They aren't mutually exclusive, my favourite game was against a friend, at a tournament, about 3 hours after we discovered there's a bar in the next room and had promptly drunk many pints of Guiness.

Orks and Chaos Marines ended up in a massive pile, literally, none standing upright on bases, in the middle, duking it out. The movement phase consisted on a one-hand shove to whatever unit you had in arm's length. It was great.

I do concur fella, i am far from t-total ;) some of favourite games have been accompanied by beer and pizza! i was more refering to the ever growing number of people who go out binge drinking on every occassion possible!

ashc
23-07-2010, 08:37
Usually in these threads the ones hiding as gamers are those in high school. Just wait until you finish there, and all of a sudden the peer pressure disappears and *people won't be bothered*. At the end of the day it is just another hobby like any other :)

On the flipside, the headteacher at the school I have been employed by was particularly interested in the fact that I had listed wargaming on my CV, and believed that many of the children there would benefit.

Hrw-Amen
23-07-2010, 09:23
I think all of my friends know that I collect W40K, but it is not a secret so those who may not know are only just because they have not been around my house or it just has not come up.

Out of my close friends, (None of which play or collect.) I get the impression that some think it is just an odd thing that I have probably done since a kid, which it is, and have continued as a hobby. Not for them, but then it is no more odd than one of them being into gardening, or another surfing and so on.

I get the impression that a couple of them think the models are kind of cool looking but just have not got the time or inclination to invest. They look at it a bit like fathers that used to make model battleships or areoplanes. (I know some still do. My father did, he does not anymore as he is dead.)

There are one or two that are maybe not so close who cannot understand it and think it should be given up, but then they are the ones who think it would be better to spend all your spare tiem in the pub drinking and getting hammered, so I doubt that those opinions really count for much anyway. At least not now we are in our 40's. I think they should give that up, but then we are all entitled to our opinions.

As for parents. Well father as I said always made models, and mother probably thinks it takes up too much room, which it does, but otherwise is no worse than what father did.

splod
23-07-2010, 09:57
most of my friends dont give a damm,or play it with me (although this mostly applies to magic) i happily accept that i am a nerd. anyway very few people have the guts to insult one of the biggest kids in the year level anyway, so i am fine...

besides the most succesful people in the world are nerds (game designers, the richest man in the world, people who made google and facebook...) so they are just showing the fact that they wont be succesful in life...

my maths teacher plays magic so no one disses me about it, because they would be dissing their own teacher....

Brother Enok
23-07-2010, 10:43
And not being aware of the social implications that come with playing such a game reeks of social maladjustment, because the reality is many people do not understand or accept our hobby, and they will judge you regardless of how confident you feel in yourself.

Bowing to the "social implications" of a perfectly healthy, social hobby shows nothing but self contempt and a weak mind. If people do not understand or accept my hobby, that's fine, because I do not require them to. People judge each other on everything, every minute of the day, for good or for ill. If somebody wishes to judge me on my like of toy soldiers them they may. It won't prevent us having a healthy friendship, not does it make me socially maladjusted. It simply means one of my vices includes toy soldiers.

Askari
23-07-2010, 11:43
What it WOULD "reek of" would be the knowledge that some things come with attached social stigmas and an expected amount of judgement. Warhammer is not much different I feel.

Now I must add the very important caveat that this only refers to dealing with strangers.

Sure, there is stigma when dealing with strangers, but then again... they're strangers, do you really care what a random person on the street thinks? It's a "social maladjustment" to be that sensitive, some people will simply just not like you, they will find a reason.

Anyone whose opinion actually matters to you will simply either like it, be indifferent to it, or give you some light-hearted stick for it. All three are much preferable to hiding it and coming up with odd excuses as to why you don't have money or why you're not out this weekend.

Hunger
23-07-2010, 11:43
Geek: In a more traditional sense of the word, a 'Geek' was/is anyone with a deep deep specialization in one area that they can talk at length on. You could be a History Geek, Math Geek, Science Geek, Ancient Chinese Fishing Methods geek, etc..

In a truly traditional sense, a geek is freakshow performer who's act is biting the heads off live animals.

I think Ozzy broke the steroetype...

Keebrev
23-07-2010, 11:59
I won't bother my non-gamer mates with "So I drop-podded my venny dread on the objective blablabla", but I truly do not care what they think of my hobby.

I know I can be straight-up nerding, talking stats and tactics. But I do that with friends who are gamers themselves. I would consider everybody strange who change the subject of conversation from hot women to hotglue because its all they can talk about.

Wargaming has its place, but it is no secret.

Nakor
23-07-2010, 12:01
actually it came up one day when i was talking to a girl i liked and she used to paint SMs because her brother played and she was bored. score. (all my other girl mates give me ***** for it tho)

Eldoriath
23-07-2010, 12:11
I use to say to people that I'm a multi-nerd, not only doing warhammer 40k, but also play role-playing games (pen&paper), LARP and airsoft. And in some circles I also add pistol-shooting.

Justicar Valius
23-07-2010, 12:23
Why would you hide your hobby when it is a massive parrt of who you are, sure you may not just go about shouting about it but why deliberately hide it? I am a geek and if a person won't come into social contact with me because of who I am then that is probably for the best, whatever gender or however "cool" they are.

But then again my social life has always been pretty dead so maybe I don't care as much as everybody else?

I guess my question is why hide it in the first place and to all the answers my response is "and I care why?"

Shadow Lord
23-07-2010, 12:31
Apparently the OP strikes something sensitive in all of us. I'm quite astonished to read that some actually have to keep this hobby a well kept secret... . I think it's most definetly an age-thing. Once out of high school or college, people will not care what you do in your spare time as long as you don't do anything illegal ofc...I'm not really sure but I've got the impression that the place where you live plays a big deal to...American society really puts the label on people, maybe more than in Europe, tho this is only my impression when reading the posts on the subject. Or maybe age has just blurred my memories and I can't recollect my own youth anymore...

So, to those out there that feel they should be secretive about: feel free, just don't give up on the hobby!

To all others: cheers m8tey's, now let's go forth and multiply...

sliganian
23-07-2010, 13:56
My work friends think I am weird because I would rather play with toy soldiers on the weekend than go out and get hammered. (s'ok, I think they are weird for wanting to get hammered...)

And I think some of us are confused as to why those two activities have to be mutually exclusive. :D

EDIT: Oops, sort-of discussed down-thread a bit.

EldritchRaider
23-07-2010, 14:28
just say you're a casual miniature gamer, joke bout it a bit if you want, but don't be embarrassed cos then you will just seem more nerdy.

EldritchRaider
23-07-2010, 14:31
And I think some of us are confused as to why those two activities have to be mutually exclusive.
i got drunk playin 40k once, i woke up with a big hangover n i like stumbled into the living room and was like OH ****
a platoon of guardsmen and a basilisk were trodden into the carpet.

Eulenspiegel
23-07-2010, 14:57

Donīt mourn them, they died doing their duty. The Emperor knows their names :cries:

Mart007
23-07-2010, 14:59
Beer and Warhammer is a marriage made in heaven. fact.

Hunger
23-07-2010, 15:17
i got drunk playin 40k once, i woke up with a big hangover n i like stumbled into the living room and was like OH ****

"Offending infantry models must move for the titan or they are smashed under the tread of Imperial Progress. No saves allowed."

(tencharacterslong)

sliganian
23-07-2010, 17:15
Donīt mourn them, they died doing their duty. The Emperor knows their names :cries:

Yup. A cenotaph / war memorial should be made to the fallen units out of an empty whiskey bottle.

"Below are the names of the glorious dead in His Emperor's Name:

The Grand Marnier, Lord Commander
Captain Morgan
Private Jim Bean
Private Jack Daniels
Major Glen Fiddich
." :D

jsullivanlaw
23-07-2010, 17:54
Just refer to it as a boardgame and you should be fine...;)

sliganian
23-07-2010, 20:59
Just refer to it as a boardgame and you should be fine...;)

Or use the oft-heard refrain of the GW Demo Game lead in to people who have no clue what it is about: "Chess with dice!".

The Devourer
23-07-2010, 21:33
It's not people being insecure, there are some pretty strong reason why you might not want to let anyone know. I personally have no problems with what I do, and think that the people who would dislike me for it are narrowminded but that doesn't change the fact that I would get treated badly if they knew.

Life isn't always as nice as "if their a good friend they won't mind". People often follow what they believe others feel is acceptable and dislike anything which doesn't fit into this. Unfortuantely this leads to people supporting and encouraging each other, and often the most popular people being those most against wargaming. Responding with a witty reply just makes them feel like they are loosing so need to try harder. Giving someone a stick to beat you with is stupid.

It isn't always as hard as hidding your stuff when people come over, and lying about what you have been doing. I don't have people visit so I can leave my stuff around the house and noone asks what I do so I don't say anything.

deadly_juice
23-07-2010, 21:37
I get flak for it down the pub but then there is a great comeback from it.

So its for kids:
you: 'Do kids play football (insert sport)?'
mates: 'well yea'
you: 'so kids play football and so do adults and you love watching and playing football... i'm not seeing a difference here.'

Its so geeky, all socially backwards nerds.
You: 'You know in football, are there hooligans that act different from normal fans, like idiots?'
Mates: 'well yea'
You: 'you wouldent consider your self one of those people would you? or part of that thug cliché?'
Mates: 'well no'
You: 'well in wargaming there sure are nerdy social rejects, but like you i'm not part of that cliche, see what i mean'

Don't care its still nerdy, roll all those dice and stuff
You: 'Is playing fifa/xbox/ps3/insert their fav game nerdy?'
Mates: 'Erm nah'
You: 'So you sit down with your mates and push buttons to manipulate invisble statistics you cannot see...'
Mates: 'I guess...'
You: 'So i stand up with mates and roll dice to manipulate statistics etc that I can see..., not sure what the difference is here'

You can apply the same methodology with watching films e.g. gamin is like a film in ye head, same with reading books etc...

But c'mon mate you sit for hours gluing lil men and painting them, GEEK!
You: 'Would you feel manly if you opened the bonet of a car and could mess with it to make it look cool, or put a shelf up, or insert other practical activity'
Mates: 'erm'
You: 'Same thing, different scale'

QFT. Latro wins at internets.

coyote1066
23-07-2010, 22:10
Funny thing just happened to me.

The other day I had the cable guy scheduled to replace my cable modem and repair/replace my DVR. Anyway, the DVR was upstairs in our very "normal" suburban home, however the cable modem resides in my basement which is the most awesome man-cave you've ever seen (I'm an older, married gamer so :p ). Other than the washer/dryer it's dedicated to WH40K.

Before he and I decended to the basement I was a little worried that he'd think I was some kind of overgrown kid (guilty) but I didn't want to let on...to a stranger no less (who cares, right?). Anyway, I was prepared to create a fictitious teenage son to blame it all on. :rolleyes:

Long story short, he took one look at all the stuff and said "dude, you're my hero!"

Turns out he plays 40K. I got his number and plan to invite him to our next gaming night.

I guess the moral of the story is that gamers come from all walks of life and you never know who among your "associates" is just a gamer in waiting...so don't be afraid to bring it up. Besides, all men (and some women) secretly carry a fond memory of playing with their plastic army men. :D

Whitwort Stormbringer
23-07-2010, 22:50
Honestly the best I can give is that the best way to breach the subject with people who are likely to rib you for it is to not bring it up, but if they ask just answer as if it's nothing. Because it IS nothing. It's not biggie, it's a hobby and all people have them. Cultural conventions say that ours is nerdy, but really it's not that big of a deal and most people may poke fun of you once or twice and that's that.

Also, ask yourself: is it something that your friends are honestly going to care about, or are they just razzing you? Chances are it's the latter, and that's the way a lot of friends are. We poke fun at one another but we don't really mean anything by it. If so, it will probably be a big relief to just have it off your chest, you guys can have a good laugh, they'll know you're a gamer, and after that no one will care.

As others have been quick to point out, this is also largely an age issue (unfortunately). By the time you're out of High School the social pressure to be cool often lessens by quite a bit.

Also, girls, at least the hot slutty type, are not going to be attracted to it. Not gonna happen. I know someones gonna respond with "oh but my girlfriend" or "if she makes fun of it she doesn't deserve you" or some variation of this. But the truth is most women are not going to be into warhammer. Well the ones I would like to be into at least.

The line "if she makes fun of it she doesn't deserve you" is spot-on, because even though DutchKillsRambo is correct that most women aren't going to be into warhammer, most women also aren't going to care. Most women also aren't into cars, football, or video games, and yet almost all guys I have ever known are into some combination of the above (sometimes all three plus gaming). We all soon learn that these sorts of differences in interests are relatively superficial and unimportant.

Bubbatron
23-07-2010, 22:59
i remember way back in the day when i got int o warhammer i was off school ill and our house was being rewired at the time so i was cleaning up some minis - this big bulky electrician looking like he was refused from being in ZZ topp because his beard was too big walked in looked at me and said "ah warhammer - ive got some spares at home ill bring or you tomorrow !" day after big bulky electrician came in with a bag full of warhammer models for me - just goes to show you cant judge and shouldnt be embarrased - im a dad of 2 now and my wife thinks its cute but my eldest daughter is starting to show an unhealthy obsession already ! the thing i find funny is how my wife knows the what craftworld my eldar are from and what chapter of space marines i play !

DutchKillsRambo
23-07-2010, 23:07
The line "if she makes fun of it she doesn't deserve you" is spot-on, because even though DutchKillsRambo is correct that most women aren't going to be into warhammer, most women also aren't going to care. Most women also aren't into cars, football, or video games, and yet almost all guys I have ever known are into some combination of the above (sometimes all three plus gaming). We all soon learn that these sorts of differences in interests are relatively superficial and unimportant.

Eh you cant really compare cars or sports to warhammer but I see what your saying. You are right most importantly that most women aren't going to care. And the ones that will care are usually the type that one most likely, how do I put this nicely? hit and quit. So I understand what people are saying that OP you don't need to go out of your way to hide it, but Im just saying you don't need to flaunt it either.

LonelyPath
24-07-2010, 00:15
Then again, if you have 10,000 painted minis you will slip into the "crazy" category again :)

In that case I should have been locked away as soon as I finished my first SM chapter for Epic ;)

ChesneySwoopingHawks
24-07-2010, 02:36
I think part of the charm of the hobby is that it is a bit shameful and nerdy. The "I'm a nerd and I'm proud, all my friends are nerds too" guys aren't the sort I usually get on with. The guys who let it rule their lives are a bit hardcore for me too. Only the people I live with and my girlfriend know I have cases of miniatures and that my 'toolbox' is just full of sprue bits and unfinished projects. Maybe that's just my own complex about desperately trying to be cool coming out there!

Ironmonger
24-07-2010, 02:45
In Wales about half of my mates were gamers, and the other half I went to Uni with. I partied with both, hung out with both, and right before I left the two groups got together to say g'bye, and we all played boozehammer down the pub. :D Epic win.

Back in the states I'm a professor (technically... ) and an archaeologist, so the topic doesn't come up alot in your average discussion ('So have you heard?! I just finished plotting a digital planometric view of this obscure site on the California Bight with Arc GIS! Oh, also... did you hear about the DKoK finally getting an update?!'). However, I have no problem at all when someone asks 'what are you doing this weekend?' saying 'I'm gonna play with my toy soldiers and hopefully have a few pints afterwards.' Once I had a co-worker start to scoff after I gave him a brief description of the hobby, but then asked what his hobby was. He turned bright red and mumbled something about 'collectable figurines.' Nuff said.

TheSanityAssassin
24-07-2010, 02:48
The few friends I have that don't play all know I have "little army men". A few think it's weird, but whatever.

FabricatorGeneralMike
24-07-2010, 05:59
Beer and Warhammer is a marriage made in heaven. fact.

BeerHammer is amazing, pizza, beer and a few good friends. Nothing better in life....except 'snuggling' the G/F ;)

I've never hid this hobby of mine, even when I was younger. It's been a part of my life since I was 13, I just turned 33 on Monday. And yes I still have some of my RT-era books. I wish I still had the figgies tho... :shifty:

PS, the best thing about being a older-gamer is the "Man-Cave". Yes I have a man-cave and I love it. The two year-old grandson and I play robots with my Gundams and 40k figgies and we save the universe. It's a blast, I even think he likes it too... =o]

JonnyX
24-07-2010, 16:37
If you treat it like a skeleton in your closet (why do closets get such a bad rep for stuff coming out of it?) then thats pretty much what it will become. In other words MAN UP, nearly everyone has played warhammer at some point in their life.

rabblerouser
24-07-2010, 17:11
I don't tell ANYONE!

MaxKool
24-07-2010, 21:46
Your friends will take the mickey out of you for something anyway, fact is tbat being your friends, they shouldn't really care. You can just "rib" them back about something they are passionate about.

I'm not advocating trying to pull girls with "hey, wanna see my Boltguns?" but if you're going to do more than sleep with them, they will find out about it, and again, they'll be ok with it, or not, who cares.

HAHAHA, Im gonna use that one on my wife... "Hey baby, come help me with my boltgun" LOL Im sure she would laugh at that one.

Im married 33 w/kids been playing since Fantasy 3rd
Most my mates play something.. PC games, Wargames, Card ect.. or have a stupid hobby I can make fun of... so it dosnt come up...

And my mancave is aswesome as well, My wife more or less gave me the basemtn and the garage to do with as I please.... mmmm
My 4yr old girl LOVEs to watch us play,is carefull as hell with the minis and also has battles with me..the black templars save the princess from the evil skaven regularly at my ktichen table

When I did bring women home when I wasnt married, It never realy came up. I didnt not talk about it but at the same time the ones who would ask "Did U realy paint this" I would let them know some basics. Seriously, If yer bringing "hot slutty" women home u should have more pressing matters to attend to than showing her your hobby room... mabye the "games" room hehehe.

Everyone has something, To somone who only works out a few times a week (me) I cant see the enjoyment some people get from exercising hours a day, how is that any differant... They are gym geeks....

I played candian football for 7 years, Wrestling in collage n highschool and generaly dont look stand out like a gamer.... There is NO look for gamers anymore, dont be ashamed ever...

splod
25-07-2010, 08:24
WTF! my post was deleted!

Eulenspiegel
25-07-2010, 08:35
(...) the black templars save the princess from the evil skaven (...)

I KNEW there was a mission missing from the rulebook! :shifty:

MetalGecko23
25-07-2010, 09:14
Same here. Everybody I know who wants to know I tell them. No problems my way.

Thats about all my experiences have. Women don't really seem to care a whole hell of a lot.

Plently of people don't like my hobbies, so what. I often don't like theirs...yet we can be friends with no difficulty. Saying f-off to people that don't like your hobbies is anti-social. Hiding your hobbies so people don't judge you is childish.

Ammo for what. Making lame jokes? If there your friends then you should be able to give as good as you take and have fun doing it. Just about another day at work for me. Someone makes a nerd joke I through something back everybody laughs and stress is relieved. It only hurts if your ashamed of what you do, and if your ashamed then maybe you should quit and save yourself the hassle.

:confused: You my friend must be in need of a charisma injection. Hot girls (omitted slutty, cause they don't exist, male fantasy) don't really care just like not so attractive girls. They want to know you then the want to know you. What you do in your spare time is never going to be an issue. Its only an issue if your ashamed of it as then you show confidence problems which is what is going to sink you.

Do feel ashamed that you can't be who you are. Don't dip into desparity though just jump that hard hurdle. Even when I was in highschool I never made it a secret and nobody (and I mean nobody) gave me crap about it.

kormas
25-07-2010, 09:18
i agree that the 'typical' gamer image is changing, i am 6"6', have a pretty big frame and do karate + bball, and i dont have glasses and have never had/needed braces, so tbh most people dont look at me and think "gamer!".

also if you dont bring it up strait away with someone, ie: in the first couple of minuits you dont say "oh guess what!!!, i play with littly toy soilders and i paint them and it is COOL!!!!!"... the easiest way is just not to bring it up but if someone asks you about it just tell them a bit and they wont really care.

also, it doesnt have a huge social stigma, i know that a good majority of people in my year know that i do it, but i still get invided to all the parties and i get along well with pretty much everyone in my year, so tbh people dont need to get scared that if they admitt that they game they will be excluded

Billy
25-07-2010, 10:02

This is priceless!

OT thought. I don't try and force it on my friends by any means. I have one friend who played since gradeschool with me and thats it.

Not that i am ashamed of it. Sure I get the ribbing for being a nerd, but im a big boy, nothing i can't handle lol.

I will leave my models out in the open if friends come over, if anything they respect how well the paintjobs look because they know it is a skill they haven't developed yet.

Only time i will keep the warhammer on locks is if i start seeing a new girl (kept stowed away in my warhammer room). I don't need them weirded out by my nerdy tendencies right off the batt. But after a month or two, when i have my teeth sunk in them, i will bust it out. Like start writing lists, painting, building, and playing right in front of them.

samiens
25-07-2010, 11:32
Honestly, I don't hide it from my friends and I'm happy to tell certain work friends but I know that putting it into general knowledge would likely have an effect on how some people percieve me- so I keep it quite quiet because its easier. I can't imagine hiding it from my actual friends though

scarletsquig
25-07-2010, 12:33
Only time i will keep the warhammer on locks is if i start seeing a new girl (kept stowed away in my warhammer room). I don't need them weirded out by my nerdy tendencies right off the batt. But after a month or two, when i have my teeth sunk in them, i will bust it out. Like start writing lists, painting, building, and playing right in front of them.

*man slap*

You gotta be more hardcore than that!

I told my girlfriend that I played on our first date.. because I'm awesome like that. :P

And you know what? Worked out fine.

I mentioned that I liked to paint as a good way to relax and be creative and that the gaming side is mostly an excuse to hang out and drink beer.

So, the stupidity of the statement was canceled out by the sheer confidence of it. I figured out that that's how your average meathead retard manages to get a hot girl.. they might be dumb and ugly, but they sure aren't skittish, shy or insecure. Yes, man-dollies are a bit weird, but they're not a dealbreaker.. I'm living proof of that and so are a lot of other people on this forum. :)

I really think that warhammer is a lot more acceptable than it was a few years ago, simply because these days everyone (and not just the nerds!) spends half their life staring at a monitor on facebook or whatever as a replacement for going out and meeting them... anything that indicates that you leave the house and have a wide and interesting circle of real-life friends is going to be a good thing, from that perspective, warhammer is way cooler than playing computer games.

DutchKillsRambo
25-07-2010, 17:03
Same here. Everybody I know who wants to know I tell them. No problems my way.

Thats about all my experiences have. Women don't really seem to care a whole hell of a lot.

Plently of people don't like my hobbies, so what. I often don't like theirs...yet we can be friends with no difficulty. Saying f-off to people that don't like your hobbies is anti-social. Hiding your hobbies so people don't judge you is childish.

Ammo for what. Making lame jokes? If there your friends then you should be able to give as good as you take and have fun doing it. Just about another day at work for me. Someone makes a nerd joke I through something back everybody laughs and stress is relieved. It only hurts if your ashamed of what you do, and if your ashamed then maybe you should quit and save yourself the hassle.

:confused: You my friend must be in need of a charisma injection. Hot girls (omitted slutty, cause they don't exist, male fantasy) don't really care just like not so attractive girls. They want to know you then the want to know you. What you do in your spare time is never going to be an issue. Its only an issue if your ashamed of it as then you show confidence problems which is what is going to sink you.

Do feel ashamed that you can't be who you are. Don't dip into desparity though just jump that hard hurdle. Even when I was in highschool I never made it a secret and nobody (and I mean nobody) gave me crap about it.

Wait how is not telling everyone about your childish hobby childish? I'm not advocating lying to people about it, but realistically, some people may judge you negatively for it. Not much Im sure but why bother?

And ok someone throws a joke at you, what if your not witty enough for a comeback? What if the OP takes these gentle ribbings more seriously? Is he supposed to keep helping people out to make these jokes? No one likes getting made fun of, and is easy to say "oh buck up" but it does effect some people worse than others. And if your that type of person, why is it a good idea to incur verbal harassment? You seem to have forgotten what it actually feels like while IN high school. Its easy to go back and remember what we could have done, but while your there, it can be pretty bad for everybody.

And your next part I don't get. Are you saying that there are no promiscuous women in the world? Seriously? Because I can assure you they exist. And no, probably most women really won't care, but also there is still, in my experience, a significant proportion of women that would be turned off by this. Really. Were all talking anecdotes here so maybe you've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Confidence is a huge factor, but if a girl has 8 suitors hitting on her, and one is talking about toys, which one is she going to take most often?

And this little gem "What you do in your spare time is never going to be an issue" is far off the mark its not funny. Or apparently you've only ever gamed and can't think of anything else that would dissuade a girl.

And why are you telling people to be ashamed? Why is Warhammer so important that it defines who you are? This is the kind of scary extremism that keeps people away from our hobby. Its a game. About future space men. Its not something so intrinsic to our lives that we need to shout it from the roof tops. If your comfortable telling whoever you want about it thats great, but that doesn't work for everyone. If your comfortable having it as a side dish to the entree of your life that works too.

MetalGecko23
26-07-2010, 06:39
Wait how is not telling everyone about your childish hobby childish? I'm not advocating lying to people about it, but realistically, some people may judge you negatively for it. Not much Im sure but why bother?
I'm not talking about walking up to somebody shaking their hand and saying hi I play warhammer. By hiding I mean doing what it take to keep it a secret. You don't have or need to tell people like you have an STD. Just don't hide it, its not a big deal. People who are adults won't judge you. Highschool kids will, but they were before you told them about warhammer. Telling them won't change anything for you.

And ok someone throws a joke at you, what if your not witty enough for a comeback? What if the OP takes these gentle ribbings more seriously? Is he supposed to keep helping people out to make these jokes? No one likes getting made fun of, and is easy to say "oh buck up" but it does effect some people worse than others. And if your that type of person, why is it a good idea to incur verbal harassment? You seem to have forgotten what it actually feels like while IN high school. Its easy to go back and remember what we could have done, but while your there, it can be pretty bad for everybody.
I fully agree. I know what it was like in Highschool, because I spent 4 years there. I never kept it a secret, hell is was painting models for art projects. Nobody said ANYTHING to me. Other than thats cool, or can I buy that off you when your done cuz it awesome. Girls didn't care, they were actually interested in the painting techniques used. I was far removed form the in crowd at school. I was confident in myself enough were nobody made an issue.

Most of the time you get picked on in school is because you show weakness in self esteem and confidence. Thats what bullies pick up on. Not on the what of your life but your attitude. I can tell this is something that does bother you. Its ok you are not being judged by me, I understand were you are coming from. I have delt with this stuff. I changed though at some point in Highschool and threw off my fears. Joined the football team, show people how skilled I was a hurting other people (lol I enjoyed crushing the strongest guy in school on the 1st day of practice). Just don't have fear being yourself.

And your next part I don't get. Are you saying that there are no promiscuous women in the world? Seriously? Because I can assure you they exist. And no, probably most women really won't care, but also there is still, in my experience, a significant proportion of women that would be turned off by this. Really. Were all talking anecdotes here so maybe you've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Confidence is a huge factor, but if a girl has 8 suitors hitting on her, and one is talking about toys, which one is she going to take most often?
Promiscous women don't exist. The conception is that only men want to have (can I say sex here?) sex. That is about as faulty thinking as you can get. Guys want it girls want it and its ok. It doesn't make a woman less and a guy more. So if women can be slutty then all men are sluts. Get my point.

She is going to pick the one with the most interesting personality. Why the first thing your telling a girl surround by guys is your hobbies I don't know. First thing should be some veriation of small talk, then talk about her, then if she asks then you could tell her or not. That doesn't count as hiding or keeping a secret its simply avioding converstion that she could find boring. Plently of girls I barely know have been through my house and seen me models or me painting and ask me what I'm up to. I give them a brief explanation then talk about the painting itself. Seems to work for me as they all find the techniques and color matching interesting. Don't talk to new people about potentially boring stuff.

And this little gem "What you do in your spare time is never going to be an issue" is far off the mark its not funny. Or apparently you've only ever gamed and can't think of anything else that would dissuade a girl.
I do a lot more then just game because I'm capable of liking a more then just gaming. I just don't know what females your talking too, but I can only guess you have never tried. An that you are too afraid to. I mean you must really be embarassed by your hobby. If you are this embarassed by it, I feel that you should give it up. Simply for you well being. Don't bother with something that is causing you this much stress.
An if you have how did it go down, did she drop you for it? When you've had a girlfriend did you keep it a secret from her the whole time you dated? Did you tell her and she dumped you for it?

And why are you telling people to be ashamed? Why is Warhammer so important that it defines who you are? This is the kind of scary extremism that keeps people away from our hobby. Its a game. About future space men. Its not something so intrinsic to our lives that we need to shout it from the roof tops. If your comfortable telling whoever you want about it thats great, but that doesn't work for everyone. If your comfortable having it as a side dish to the entree of your life that works too.
I don't even play the game anymore maybe once and a while. Some time I paint but thats only once and a while. I don't really play video game anymore. Don't pen and paper RPG like I used to (maybe once every so many months). About the only 40k or gamer related thing I do anymore is Warseer and Black Library book reading. So my dedication is minimual at best.

I saw a story on the news today about a guy at comic-con who stabbed another guy in the face with is pen. For sitting too close to him in a crowded room. Forgive for saying this but I can't help but think this kind of spastic anti social behavior being related to those who are embarassed by what they do. Now I'm not saying shout it form the roof tops just don't fear telling some one if they ask you what you like or what do you do.

Note: I have never in my life met a gamer gurl. An simply refuse to believe they exist. Though I have had a hard time meeting a girl that doesn't like Soul Caliber and have yet to figure out why.

Aedes
26-07-2010, 10:55
Dont be ashamed!
Man!
I would find it cool if I had a boyfriend that plays 40k.
And I would find it strange if he would hide it.
Well, until he comes to my room and sees all my painted things.

DutchKillsRambo
26-07-2010, 15:21
I'm not talking about walking up to somebody shaking their hand and saying hi I play warhammer. By hiding I mean doing what it take to keep it a secret. You don't have or need to tell people like you have an STD. Just don't hide it, its not a big deal. People who are adults won't judge you. Highschool kids will, but they were before you told them about warhammer. Telling them won't change anything for you.

I fully agree. I know what it was like in Highschool, because I spent 4 years there. I never kept it a secret, hell is was painting models for art projects. Nobody said ANYTHING to me. Other than thats cool, or can I buy that off you when your done cuz it awesome. Girls didn't care, they were actually interested in the painting techniques used. I was far removed form the in crowd at school. I was confident in myself enough were nobody made an issue.

Most of the time you get picked on in school is because you show weakness in self esteem and confidence. Thats what bullies pick up on. Not on the what of your life but your attitude. I can tell this is something that does bother you. Its ok you are not being judged by me, I understand were you are coming from. I have delt with this stuff. I changed though at some point in Highschool and threw off my fears. Joined the football team, show people how skilled I was a hurting other people (lol I enjoyed crushing the strongest guy in school on the 1st day of practice). Just don't have fear being yourself.

Promiscous women don't exist. The conception is that only men want to have (can I say sex here?) sex. That is about as faulty thinking as you can get. Guys want it girls want it and its ok. It doesn't make a woman less and a guy more. So if women can be slutty then all men are sluts. Get my point.

She is going to pick the one with the most interesting personality. Why the first thing your telling a girl surround by guys is your hobbies I don't know. First thing should be some veriation of small talk, then talk about her, then if she asks then you could tell her or not. That doesn't count as hiding or keeping a secret its simply avioding converstion that she could find boring. Plently of girls I barely know have been through my house and seen me models or me painting and ask me what I'm up to. I give them a brief explanation then talk about the painting itself. Seems to work for me as they all find the techniques and color matching interesting. Don't talk to new people about potentially boring stuff.

I do a lot more then just game because I'm capable of liking a more then just gaming. I just don't know what females your talking too, but I can only guess you have never tried. An that you are too afraid to. I mean you must really be embarassed by your hobby. If you are this embarassed by it, I feel that you should give it up. Simply for you well being. Don't bother with something that is causing you this much stress.
An if you have how did it go down, did she drop you for it? When you've had a girlfriend did you keep it a secret from her the whole time you dated? Did you tell her and she dumped you for it?

I don't even play the game anymore maybe once and a while. Some time I paint but thats only once and a while. I don't really play video game anymore. Don't pen and paper RPG like I used to (maybe once every so many months). About the only 40k or gamer related thing I do anymore is Warseer and Black Library book reading. So my dedication is minimual at best.

I saw a story on the news today about a guy at comic-con who stabbed another guy in the face with is pen. For sitting too close to him in a crowded room. Forgive for saying this but I can't help but think this kind of spastic anti social behavior being related to those who are embarassed by what they do. Now I'm not saying shout it form the roof tops just don't fear telling some one if they ask you what you like or what do you do.

Note: I have never in my life met a gamer gurl. An simply refuse to believe they exist. Though I have had a hard time meeting a girl that doesn't like Soul Caliber and have yet to figure out why.

It seems like were saying a lot of the same things, but somehow not agreeing. And for some reason your trying to make it personal, but whatever.

You say you were far from the in crowd, so do you think this could possibly change your views on this? Anyway, mostly Im talking hypothetical. Were both saying there's no need to bring it up if you don't want to, so in other words your agreeing with me? I never said that one should keep Warhammer a secret, rather if you don't feel the need to talk to others about, its not a big deal and one shouldn't feel ashamed of this. This is pretty much what Im gathering from your last post. That it's fine to not bring it up if you don't want to. Thats all Im saying.

And Im not trying to talk about "bullies" or things like that. Just the simple fact that some people will judge you for your hobbies. Right or wrong it could happen. In the scope of all the bad things you could be doing, Warhammer is obviously not an issue. But if someone likes to keep this hobby to themselves why is that wrong?

And you missed the point here

You said that things you do in your spare time will never be an issue in a relationship. So wrong its plain ridiculous. I said maybe you cant see past gaming but if you think that things that you do in your spare time could never be an issue in a relationship, you've probably never been in one. And Im talking past the scope of gaming here.

And the promiscuous things is OT so Ill leave it alone. But you aren't considered slutty for thinking things, but for doing things. So no, its not a fallacy. There's a huge difference between sleeping with 1 person and sleeping with 100. Or get ready for and STD because your faulty ideas could get someone in trouble

Nate668
26-07-2010, 15:39
I started playing warhammer back when I was 9, and I used to be very open with the hobby. I would show off my models when the family would come over for holidays, and tried to convince just about every single one of my friends to play. Even when I started going to high school, I still wasn't shy about it. I never caught any flak for it from anybody.

I stopped playing when I was 16 because there was nobody to play with in my town except for one friend that I always trounced, but never sold off my models, because I was (and for the most part still am) attached to them, and I continued checking the GW website frequently to look at the new model releases and such. I stopped talking about warhammer unless a girlfriend would find a model or something that I forgot was in plain sight and I'd have to explain myself. Again, I never got any ridicule for it. But somehow, even though nobody has ever tried to make me feel embarassed for the hobby, I felt more and more ashamed of it as I grew up, mostly because of how much money I spent on all of my stuff.

I'm now 21 and I recently decided a few weeks ago to get back into the hobby. I sold a bunch of my old stuff on ebay and used the money to start up a Necron army, which is almost up to 2000 points. But I have to say that currently, I'm still really embarassed about it. I know a bunch of guys up at school that play, and I told my roommate about it and he told me he wants me to teach him to play as well. But I know that my models are going to live in the closet when I'm at school. I'm already brainstorming ways to keep the monolith out of sight. I think it's silly how ashamed I am of the hobby that I love, but I can't seem to help it.

MetalGecko23
26-07-2010, 15:44
It seems like were saying a lot of the same things, but somehow not agreeing. And for some reason your trying to make it personal, but whatever.
I'm if sorry if I took it there on you it can be hard not to. I just seems personal to you.

You say you were far from the in crowd, so do you think this could possibly change your views on this? Anyway, mostly Im talking hypothetical. Were both saying there's no need to bring it up if you don't want to, so in other words your agreeing with me? I never said that one should keep Warhammer a secret, rather if you don't feel the need to talk to others about, its not a big deal and one shouldn't feel ashamed of this. This is pretty much what Im gathering from your last post. That it's fine to not bring it up if you don't want to. Thats all Im saying.
Were I was at in school does change my view in certain ways of course. What part are you in? Are you the popular type slumming with the geeks, a geek or just a dude trying to get by (thats my crowd, never was in a click was excepted in all of them).

No its making the effort to keep it a secret I'm talking about. I saw a post in this thread were they said they don't let people over there house so nobody sees their hobby. I honestly can't relate to that.

And Im not trying to talk about "bullies" or things like that. Just the simple fact that some people will judge you for your hobbies. Right or wrong it could happen. In the scope of all the bad things you could be doing, Warhammer is obviously not an issue. But if someone likes to keep this hobby to themselves why is that wrong?
Lol well partly warhammer isn't worth the time if it isn't shared. As I said people are going to judge you all your life. Warhammer isn't going to be the catalyst for judgement. Best to just get over this truth an move on, besides its not like you can't judge them back. I would rather not waste the time but you can do it.

You said that things you do in your spare time will never be an issue in a relationship. So wrong its plain ridiculous. I said maybe you cant see past gaming but if you think that things that you do in your spare time could never be an issue in a relationship, you've probably never been in one. And Im talking past the scope of gaming here.
Well define spare time. Killing people would ruin a relationship, massive drug or alcohol problems would. Ignoring you mate for your spare time hobbies would, or spending insane amounts of money on it could too. Warhammer isn't really going to be killing relationships outside of the fleeting highschool ones maybe (big maybe). Of course the topic is warhammer so spare time is a reference to warhammer. Anything else is ment for conversation elsewhere.

And the promiscuous things is OT so Ill leave it alone. But you aren't considered slutty for thinking things, but for doing things. So no, its not a fallacy. There's a huge difference between sleeping with 1 person and sleeping with 100. Or get ready for and STD because your faulty ideas could get someone in trouble
If you can find a girl/guy thats had only one partner cool. Its going to be rare though. An most guys I know (though not all) would be quite happy if they could boast 100 ladies. Not my style but still. Also 100 guys to one girl is probably placing the woman in the oldest profession because thats going to take real effort to achieve. An if you know about STDs then you know how to prevent them. It is OT and subject to religious and cultural upbringing.

MetalGecko23
26-07-2010, 15:52
I'm now 21 and I recently decided a few weeks ago to get back into the hobby. I sold a bunch of my old stuff on ebay and used the money to start up a Necron army, which is almost up to 2000 points. But I have to say that currently, I'm still really embarassed about it. I know a bunch of guys up at school that play, and I told my roommate about it and he told me he wants me to teach him to play as well. But I know that my models are going to live in the closet when I'm at school. I'm already brainstorming ways to keep the monolith out of sight. I think it's silly how ashamed I am of the hobby that I love, but I can't seem to help it.
Nat668, dude you got it made. You know people in college your roomy thinks its cool. Thats about all you can ask for. So don't be ashamed. It didn't hurt when you were younger and lets face it if it was going to happen highschool was the time and place.

Though keeping your models in the closet just might be a senseable use of space ;)

Nate668
26-07-2010, 15:56
I do find myself with two closets after moving into my new apartment. I suppose I'll just fill one to the ceiling with models and keep it locked. :D

Culgore
26-07-2010, 16:37
Gotta say I don't think I've hidden it since I started playing about 7 or 8 years ago. All my friends and girlfriends have been aware (including my fiancée who was introduced to it after our first date, which I set up after regaling her with my knowledge of Tolkien for hours at a pub)

When we get to do the "getting to know each other" part of college discussion sections I usually proclaim my love for all things 40K after which I have to explain what it is. I figure "hey you want to know what I like?" its a bit more interesting than "I like to ride bikes" (if you like to do this no offense its just a bit more common than playing 40K) Around my Army buddies I have a few friends who play and we openly discuss it around our non-player peers, we get ribbed, but that's part of the game, and ribbing will be returned...

geeksquared
26-07-2010, 16:52
I tell my friends I play but then I've been waving the Geek Power flag for years now. I go out of my way to promote wargaming, RPGs and other 'Geek' pursuits.

VoodooJanus
26-07-2010, 18:06
While I'm quite amazed (and proud of) all the people in here for strutting their nerdiness... Despite all that model-infused machismo, we all have to admit that that scene in 'the 40 year old virgin' was a metaphorical kick in the groin.

Now, I won't go out of my way to hide my models, but I certainly won't use them in my opening lines. I have lots of stuff to offer there- I do stand up comedy (which honestly I hide more than my model stuff), I play bass in a band, accordion for fun, I write with almost all of my freetime (and as a minor at my college), and when I get some spare change I'll go kayaking. In fact, my girlfriend loves my nerdy stuff- we joke about retreating to my lair to summon forth the powers of darkness (all said with a lisp)! But, in general, she's actually pretty okay with it. She even does okay at the local GW, although some of the employees creep her out.

Honestly, I've met far more non-functional people backstage at comedy clubs and in writing groups than I ever have going to GW. I mean, there's always that one weird dude who hangs around creeping people out and offering his poorly concealed aroma to the store, but that's not the 'typical' wargamer for sure.

Chaosheade
26-07-2010, 19:44
My friends are the ones who got me into the game.

AstartesWarMachine
26-07-2010, 23:43
I tell people, warning them that they might find it weird. I liken it to sports, oftentimes, and it helps soften the blow.

A lot of people think I'm crazy. A girl I was with for three years and was going to marry left me because she "felt like I loved the game more than her." I am proud, though. I find the game artistic, and it encourages a lot of things that the average world discourages nowadays (reading, literacy, appreciation for fiction, writing, socializing with other people whom you may not already know, and appreciation for art, as well as discipline, patience, and the rewards of hard work...all leading up to pride, of course).

I run a small Warhammer 40k club and for all the young players there, I always encourage them in all of these aspects of the hobby.

I consider some of the incredible pieces I have seen as almost modern works of art. Some of the talent out there is amazing. The fact that we play a game with these pieces should not detract from the fact that some of these are brilliant work. I consider some of the 40k fiction to be among the best modern writing I've read in a long time as well.

It is a great thing for young children, and it's a shame that GW's prices have so cruelly skyrocketed. It's pretty funny; they write the rules and clean it up to make the game "more accessible" to the general public but the prices are so high now that all but the most hardcore fanboys won't be buying nearly as much, and it all but completely disincludes younger players who don't have disposable income.

I bet they made more money selling the cheap multi-kit box sets during the Apocalypse release than they do now.

I will say that more often than not, I am met with friendly jabs, not legitimate horror or disgust. The most common reaction is of the WOW variety -- people are really amazed by the pieces and a lot of people I tell who are "commonfolk" who don't have any idea such things exist actually think it's completely amazing.

Kroot Lord
27-07-2010, 00:04
I don't go out and tell people I play, generally, although there are a few exceptions. Normally I only tell people who are coming over at my house, or if I don't tell them when they're at my house, they'll see my models, and then I'll tell them about them.

If somebody asks me what I do, I also don't really talk about my hobby, unless it's somebody whom I might suspect of being a fellow gamer. I sometimes slip in Warhammer in a normal(ish?) conversation, if it's somebody of whom I also suspect he might game.

AstartesWarMachine
27-07-2010, 00:16
It's all in how you explain it.

I find saying "it's basically a big board game" to people who don't "get it" is a quick way to avoid any drama. Like I said, most people are mysticized by my actual models though; telling someone I play a game where I build and paint all the pieces seems to confuse them.

I also liken it to legos -- lots of people played with and enjoyed legos. The irony is that when I was young a friend and I invented a game we played with legos which was actually very similar to warhammer!

MetalGecko23
27-07-2010, 06:52
While I'm quite amazed (and proud of) all the people in here for strutting their nerdiness... Despite all that model-infused machismo, we all have to admit that that scene in 'the 40 year old virgin' was a metaphorical kick in the groin.
Thank god I don't have to ever worry about that. I did try to hit home and almost did. I don't like being alone though an am only a mid grade gamer. So I'm safe (I hope)..

Honestly, I've met far more non-functional people backstage at comedy clubs and in writing groups than I ever have going to GW. I mean, there's always that one weird dude who hangs around creeping people out and offering his poorly concealed aroma to the store, but that's not the 'typical' wargamer for sure.
I could imagine. Comedy takes disfunctional types and makes it funny.

You know I have never understood the geek B.O. thing. How it happens or why it happens is beyond me. I can't go to a GW or LGS without smelling half the rooms armpits. Ironically thats going to kill you romance chances considerably more then you toy soldiers.

I don't go out and tell people I play, generally, although there are a few exceptions. Normally I only tell people who are coming over at my house, or if I don't tell them when they're at my house, they'll see my models, and then I'll tell them about them.
That seems reasonable to me. Thats is how I have been doing it. My models are right out in the open, so if you want to know I'll tell yah.

If somebody asks me what I do, I also don't really talk about my hobby, unless it's somebody whom I might suspect of being a fellow gamer. I sometimes slip in Warhammer in a normal(ish?) conversation, if it's somebody of whom I also suspect he might game.
I takes some thinking sometimes for us geeks to realize that only other geeks are interested in our hobbies. Most people won't be. So for the same reason I don't talk about the finer points of Plato I don't talk about 40k. I simply don't want to bore people.

Carlos
27-07-2010, 07:34
It's all in how you explain it.

I find saying "it's basically a big board game" to people who don't "get it" is a quick way to avoid any drama. Like I said, most people are mysticized by my actual models though; telling someone I play a game where I build and paint all the pieces seems to confuse them.

I also liken it to legos -- lots of people played with and enjoyed legos. The irony is that when I was young a friend and I invented a game we played with legos which was actually very similar to warhammer!

You don't get men in their 20s playing with Lego though.

Devon Harmon
27-07-2010, 08:07
You don't get men in their 20s playing with Lego though.

I take it you've never met my brother-in-law?

__ALEX__
27-07-2010, 09:54
I agree with Foxhound808. Everyone judges everyone in our society, but some basic social skills and a bit of common sense should let you know when, how and if to mention wargaming, or indeed anything that's non-mainstream, potentially controversial or has negative social implications.

The "I'm cool, accept me how I am or not at all" attitude is fine for family (who will love you anyway) and close friends (who wouldn't be your friends if they didn't accept you as you were) and/or if you're 12 years old (where it's dismissed as just a bit of pre-teen angst), but with strangers, employers and clients it's generally a bad idea to rub your geekiness in their face, or even mention it at all - though I doubt anyone in their right mind would bring up 'Venny Dreadies' in a business conference unless the meeting was full of wargaming enthusiasts.

it's much like guys who compete, or partake recreationally, in strongman, powerlifting or bodybuilding. for them it's something they enjoy and find fulfilling, healthful, exciting and COOL but what does the general public associate with these pursuits? Macho meatheads, big dumb (and often fat) guys whose intelligence doesn't stretch beyond lifting a barbell, egg whites and rice cakes, timing food intake to the minute, huge orange veiny guys in bikinis on stage, and of course, steroid (ab)use.

now is everyone who competes an uneducated neanderthal juiced up to the gills? of course not, (no more than every Warhammer player is a maladjusted pasty-white social reject) but that's the negative public image serious/competitive weight trainers have and we have to deal with it.

I would not mention to a client that I weight trained (if they ask me why I'm big I just say it runs in the family and wave it off) unless I knew they also did so, or were interested in it. I might sometimes say I go to the gym a bit, but again only in certain circumstances.

the fact that a lot of the negative attitude towards weight trainers stems from media-perpetuated misinformation and misconception (and the same can probably be said of wargaming) is besides the point, it's the reality, and to brush it off saying "People must accept me how I am" is like burying your head in the sand and ignoring the reality. nobody HAS to accept you and in many cases you're just sabotaging yourself by trying to force your quirks, eccentricities and beliefs on people.

a lot also depends on how you present yourself, especially when it comes to girls. saying that you do miniature/figure painting because you like the creative side is much more likely to make a non-gaming girl interested (women appreciate creativity) than saying you like to paint a bunch of armoured warrior monks which try to approximate vampires/werewolves in space. but I'd think this would be common sense anyway.

ultimately, if in doubt, follow the crowd in public and do your thing in private.

MetalGecko23
27-07-2010, 15:28
@__ALEX__

You wouldn't happen to live in Michigan would you? The GW I used to frequent had a trio of body builders that would come in for games .

__ALEX__
27-07-2010, 17:13
no mate, I'm in England! :)

(and I actually do strongman more than bodybuilding)

I bet those guys got a few strange looks! lol.

gwarsh41
27-07-2010, 17:26
[QUOTE=Carlos;4861465]You don't get men in their 20s playing with Lego though.[/QUOTE
I was about to use warhammer as a "I may not build with legos, but I build with 40k all the time" argument :D

Legos, like it or not, are becoming an art. There are several Professional lego builders. These are people who make sculptures out of legos, using them in such ways to create shapes previously unthinkable.

Lego artists are more well known than 40k artists. After all, there is a Lego amusement park.

Oh, if my lego collection was not boxed and binned up far away, I would play with them all the time. I still have my favorite lego custom characters on my desk.

madd0ct0r
27-07-2010, 21:04
cooking dinner at university.

firend is playing with some spring roll wrap - floppy when wet, stiff when dry.

"huh? I'm sure there's something i can use this for."

"yup, I've got a use. urm. capes for little model soldiers."

long pause. he looks at me steadily.

"I'm going to have to bring my marines up with me now"

turned out, in a social group of a few dozen, at least a third actively played or could be cajoled back into it. Talk about it, your mates may surprise you.

madd0ct0r
27-07-2010, 21:23
damn double post

AFnord
27-07-2010, 22:43
My experience is that they are not attracted to it (they might find some of your better painted models "impressive" if you are a good painter, and that is a good thing), but they don't react badly to it either. Most simply don't care. Truth is, most younger (<30) girls are into video games of some sort these days, and many who are older than that also enjoy playing video games. Heck, back in my MMOing days, we had several 70+ people around, and about half of them were women. Being a geek is not a problem, lack of social competence is.

Something like that would be nigh impossible to do for me. I might be able to hide one geeky side of myself, but not all of them. My bookshelves have shelves dedicated to genres. Sci-fi: 2 shelves. Fantasy: 1 shelf. History: 3 shelves. Natural science: 3 shelves. Psychology: 1 shelf. Classical literature: 1― shelves. Roleplaying games: 2 shelves. Philosophy and geography: about 1 shelf together. And then there is my large collection of video games. And lets not forget my board games. The thing is that if I were trying to hide all this, I would probably be seen as acting strangely, and that would put people of. But I see it as a natural part of myself, and most people treat it accordingly: as something entirely natural.

If the game takes over your life, and you don't do much more than work & game, then that is a warning flag. You really should not center your life around a single thing, and I can understand people who find it strange when a person simply has nothing else to talk about than how cool warhammer is and how they crushed their opponent last Saturday.

Warhammer has actually acted as a conversation started for me on more than one occasion. About a year ago me and a mate had had a game of 40k, and when to the bar afterwards, still carrying our warhammer cases. The girl who was taking our jackets & bags noticed our warhammer cases and started to talk to us about it, and how she would like to try it. We ended up chatting for a good 10min about it before we continued into the bar (the other 2 who worked there were less than happy that they had to do her work ;) ).
On another occasion I was visiting a friend. She had some of her friends over, and one of our mutual friends asked if I was going to play 40k the following weekend. Turned out that one of the girls in the room was an avid blood bowl player, who instantly joined our conversation, and we set up a game between us two.

But this view of geekyness might well depend on where you are from. In norther Europe it really is not a problem what so ever to be geeky.

MetalGecko23
28-07-2010, 00:12
no mate, I'm in England! :)

(and I actually do strongman more than bodybuilding)

I bet those guys got a few strange looks! lol.

Lol I meant strongman. Yeah I'm no small guy but they dwarfed me and I'm used to being the biggest guy in a GW.

Sweet on the England, you should visit the Murder Mitten.

Emperors Teeth
28-07-2010, 09:04
I have a little 1 bedroom bachelor pad which (now has my fiance living in it, but before then...) I keep a LOT of hobby stuff in. There's some GW art books under the coffee table, a cabinet on the wall and bookshelves full of GW related books.

On the, thankfully not to rare, occasions where I brought a lady back to the place, inevitably she would spot GW stuff lying around if she didn't already know about my hobbies. I tell you, not once did it ever cause me a problem or hinder any... erm... thing.

As long as you're not weird about it, there's no reason for people to think any less of you for your interests. Though unless someone's really interested, I'd probably not advise describing your Valhallan army in great detail lol!

Billy
28-07-2010, 09:28
@Nate668 Don't worry about it being stashed behind some secret wall. Just keep it tidy in your room. By the time you have a girl in there the deal will be sealed anyway :D. And once they do stumble upon some warhammer most girls think its cute.

Nate668
28-07-2010, 15:06
Haha, I think I've decided that the reason I'm so against sharing the fact that I play with people is because the friend of mine that I used to play with all the time, and just played with again monday, is WAY too open about it, and phrases it in the worst way possible. So I'm used to him embarassing me whenever I'm with him in public. First of all, this guy has a Tzeench symbol tattooed on his wrist. Not a huge deal. But then the way he talks about it around other people makes me want to crawl into a hole. For example, I got to his place monday and realized that neither one of us had a tape measurer. So we go to walmart to buy one, and he sees a cute girl that he knows from school (luckily I don't go to the same university so I probably won't ever see this girl again), and right after telling me how he likes her, she walks up to him and says "Hey, what are you buying?" He says "A tape measurer," and she says "Oh, building something?" His response? "We need it for a game where you kill people."

*cringe, facepalm*

Lijacote
28-07-2010, 15:25
If you have something to lose by telling your friends you engage in miniature gaming, then you should go ahead and lose that something, maybe even your friends.

DrunkTerminator
28-07-2010, 15:26
All of my friends (male or female) know i play. A couple of them play too while others dont care. None of my friends ever suggested is geeky some of them even like to watch me play.

Now what i dont understand is why so many people stop drinking when the start warhammer! Drinking is brilliant!!:D I drink before i play (but not in tournaments), while i'm playing (even in friendly tournaments with a low number of people) and after i have played (to celebrate or to mourn). :p

spetswalshe
28-07-2010, 15:31
Being teetotal has had a much, much bigger impact on my social life than wargaming (or in my case turning every conversation into something involving goblins and trolls) ever did. Honestly, if I drank these days I might actually have something to talk about other than the undead and which various aspects of life personally sicken me.

MetalGecko23
28-07-2010, 15:55
Haha, I think I've decided that the reason I'm so against sharing the fact that I play with people is because the friend of mine that I used to play with all the time, and just played with again monday, is WAY too open about it, and phrases it in the worst way possible. So I'm used to him embarassing me whenever I'm with him in public. First of all, this guy has a Tzeench symbol tattooed on his wrist. Not a huge deal. But then the way he talks about it around other people makes me want to crawl into a hole. For example, I got to his place monday and realized that neither one of us had a tape measurer. So we go to walmart to buy one, and he sees a cute girl that he knows from school (luckily I don't go to the same university so I probably won't ever see this girl again), and right after telling me how he likes her, she walks up to him and says "Hey, what are you buying?" He says "A tape measurer," and she says "Oh, building something?" His response? "We need it for a game where you kill people."

*cringe, facepalm*
I second that facepalm....*facepalm*

I got a buddy who is litterally incapable of conversation outside of geek topics.. Not in a anti-social way in fact he is quite social. Its just I cringe when every conversation he is in he makes a super obscure reference to some geek pass time. Or completely fails to understand a joke and inserts a geek reference to make it funny to him.

Though he took some sort of sewing class in college (not sure how) and met a crap ton of hot girls. That think he is cool. So I guess his geekness isn't doing him harm even if he is the biggest geek I know. Maybe its because he showers....actually I think thats the key. Being geeky only matters to women when you don't shower.

Lol, love the guy but sometime it can be too much to handle.

gwarsh41
28-07-2010, 17:26
@Nate668
I know a few people with 40k tattoos, I am thinking of a nurgle one, I just dont know where yet. So everything was fine about your buddy until his obvious failure at conversation and social skills. I have a friend like that as well, nice guy, but does not know when to stop talking, or what freaks people out. I guess if he played 40k I would be a bit embarrassed around him.

@MetalGecko23
I dont think geekyness has anything to do with meeting girls. I teach computer science, by the 3rd semester, if you were not a geek or nerd, you are a big one now. Out of them there are plenty who wear the same shirt and dont shower. Then there are the ones who change clothes. The clean ones all have girls. Every single one of them, like nerds are the flavor of the month. Where as the stinkers... well sometimes I dont think they really care about girls as much as pokemon cards.

Interestingly enough, I found out the 2 of my students know of 40k, and own several models because they love to paint them. They know nothing about the game though. Later in the class, a class wide conversation about Gundams arose, today has been a good day so far.

MetalGecko23
28-07-2010, 17:59
I dont think geekyness has anything to do with meeting girls. I teach computer science, by the 3rd semester, if you were not a geek or nerd, you are a big one now. Out of them there are plenty who wear the same shirt and dont shower. Then there are the ones who change clothes. The clean ones all have girls. Every single one of them, like nerds are the flavor of the month. Where as the stinkers... well sometimes I dont think they really care about girls as much as pokemon cards.
Oh no geekiness isn't the issue the showers are.

Interestingly enough, I found out the 2 of my students know of 40k, and own several models because they love to paint them. They know nothing about the game though. Later in the class, a class wide conversation about Gundams arose, today has been a good day so far.
My old math teacher from highschool gives my little brother (who has him now) the Black Library order catalogue for book stores. So I now know what BL books are coming out a year in advance.

madd0ct0r
28-07-2010, 18:09
"We need it for a game where you kill people."

*cringe, facepalm*

Sometimes. depending on the person, that's easier and shorter then a long conversation about something they're not really interested in.

"we need it for a board game" would be better though.

The trick with 40k is finding a short way to describe it.

Nate668
28-07-2010, 18:33
Oh definitely, I totally agree that it's not worth explaining to a person whom you think won't care. But jesus, he could have said "yes" or "no" or "it's for a game," and it wouldn't have been nearly as awkward. Haha.