PDA

View Full Version : Bretonia, When Should We Expect A New Release?

Archangelion
22-07-2010, 10:20
I was just wondering when a new release for Bretonia will be out. Their book is so horribly out-dated now.

I want to know, because a while back I started collecting them, but stopped because I heard a rumour that stated 'expect them sooner than you would expect' or something along those lines. I believe that the mention of it was on Warseer to boot, but have seen nothing mentioned of them of late, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just finish my army off now and hope they don't release models that make the old ones look like my feet.

In other words, this thread is a continuation of the rumour I heard on this website concerning a release of Bretonia sooner than later.

shelfunit.
22-07-2010, 10:26
Horribly out of date it may be, but it still functions as one of the more balanced books out there, and a lot of the models are still looking fairly good for their age too. Probably not expecting before the end of 2011, but in this rumoured crazy new approach to GW release schedule, who knows?

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 10:26
In other words, this thread is a continuation of the rumour I heard on this website concerning a release of Bretonia sooner than later.

I suspect that doesn't cut it. 'I heard a rumor on WarSeer' doesn't quite qualify as a rumor on WarSeer right?

Tymell
22-07-2010, 10:29
I'd say this really belongs in general rather than rumours.

On the topic at hand, my guess would be not anytime soon. Which isn't to say miles off. But simply that I've read informed predictions/estimates for up to the middle of next year, and Bretonnians didn't feature.

Zaonite
22-07-2010, 10:38
I'd love to see a new bretonnia book too. It's 2003/2004, so not fantastically old. I feel TK and WE need an update before Brets. The book is still comnpetitive and the new magic lores from the BRB boost brets no end!
If I were to hazard a guess at anything Bret related I'd say (and you can quote me on this if you want to rub it in my face when I'm wrong :p) we'll hear something in the next 18 months.

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 10:42
I'd say this really belongs in general rather than rumours.

Spot on, but apparantly the sign outside saying 'don't post question threads' mean do post question threads.

bluemage
22-07-2010, 10:54
Harry said something a while back about them being on the horrizon of a far away place that isn't close to now. Basically 2012 at the earliest.

Zaonite
22-07-2010, 10:56
Spot on, but apparantly the sign outside saying 'don't post question threads' mean do post question threads.

Well Godless if you were a mod you could move the thread. You do seem to be very critical sometimes. You could at least put a smiley in to say that, "yes I'm serious but don't take offence". I do agree with you though.

EDIT; Thanks crube.

Crube
22-07-2010, 10:58
I am a mod however. Please read the stickies...

Thread moved

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Grimstonefire
22-07-2010, 11:00
It's not being overly critical, it is the rules. ;)

But back on topic, we had a vague snippet of a rumour on WE (who are now in desperate need of an updat), so I think it's looking fairly obvious Bretonnians will be the last army of the old lot to get an update.

Odin
22-07-2010, 11:17
It's an old book, sure, but why is it "horribly out of date"? It still functions perfectly well, and as far as I can tell is still a perfectly decent army book.

It appears that GW are slowing down on the army book releases, but putting more effort into (hopefully) getting them right. I think that's a sensible move - far better to wait longer between releases but get a book that is good for years, rather than have a new army book every 3 months and end up with something like the O&G book (or Dark Elves at the other end of the scale).

My guess would be that Bretonnians are still at least a couple of years away. But their army book is still in good nick, and certainly better than O&Gs, TKs, WEs and possibly OKs. And Bretonnian players would be better served by waiting another year for a very well-written book, rather than GW rushing to write a new one just because the current one has been around for a while.

On the other hand, you might just end up waiting a long time and still getting a rubbish one. As a Dark Angel player, I know that feeling.

Artinam
22-07-2010, 11:18
Bretonnians are more or less fine, with the new edition their whole army style of playing has been given a refresh. Although a new book with new stuff is always great I wouldn't mind waiting my turn for Wood Elfs or Tombkings.

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 11:19
Well Godless if you were a mod you could move the thread. You do seem to be very critical sometimes. You could at least put a smiley in to say that, "yes I'm serious but don't take offence". I do agree with you though.

If it helps then sure, why not.

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 11:19
This however is in direct cotradiction with the newer rumors about GW finally picking up the pace.

We'll see what'll happen.

Avian
22-07-2010, 11:20
Maybe 2012 if I were to hazard a guess.

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 11:37
This however is in direct cotradiction with the newer rumors about GW finally picking up the pace.

We'll see what'll happen.

If I'm not mistaken the rumours are the opposite, that they are going to produce even less army books and focus more on models.

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 11:40
Weeeell...

I picked this up somewhere. Could be wrong though. It's not unheard of nowadays to have actual rumors contradict each other. :rolleyes:

Odin
22-07-2010, 11:40
If I'm not mistaken the rumours are the opposite, that they are going to produce even less army books and focus more on models.

That's what I'd heard, certainly. That's why they're doing army books with all the new unit types without models, so they can release 2nd and even 3rd waves of models for an army without having to re-write the army book.

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 11:43
Fine with me, I'm not keen on relearning my entire army every few years for no apparent reason. If they can create a hype from selling models sans book then more power to them. Though it seems they do their utmost to suppress any excitement, see Island of Blood leaks (if the story is actually true) and others.

Avian
22-07-2010, 12:21
That's what I'd heard, certainly. That's why they're doing army books with all the new unit types without models, so they can release 2nd and even 3rd waves of models for an army without having to re-write the army book.
Given the Nighspinner thingy, I wouldn't be surprised if upcoming army books include NO units without models, but that such units will be presented in WD when the model is made.

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 12:27
And how do normal people (aka non-White Dwarf readers) get to play with them?

Odin
22-07-2010, 13:11
And how do normal people (aka non-White Dwarf readers) get to play with them?

PDF of the GW website, as usual, I presume.

Still, people don't buy WD because it doesn't include anything interesting or useful, could GW be blamed if they decide to put something in WD that is interesting and useful?

Spider-pope
22-07-2010, 21:14
PDF of the GW website, as usual, I presume.

Still, people don't buy WD because it doesn't include anything interesting or useful, could GW be blamed if they decide to put something in WD that is interesting and useful?

GW could start giving away free twenty pound notes with every copy of WD and people would still complain about it.

Uriain
22-07-2010, 21:25
I wouldnt complain lol.. it would be worth it for me to ship them to Canada for the exchange rate :p

On a serious note though,

I am looking forward to a Bret redo, but at the moment, they are still pretty functional. They thing I am figuring out is what size of lance formation makes for the best results.

Malorian
22-07-2010, 21:28
I am looking forward to a Bret redo, but at the moment, they are still pretty functional. They thing I am figuring out is what size of lance formation makes for the best results.

2-3 lances as big as you can get them supported by smaller lances.

I feel bret players are going to have to specialize their lances now.

Peril
22-07-2010, 21:37
I have always played with 12 man lances, for times when I have to hit something that doesn't break. I also already used large peasant units. Pretty much the only thing I have to change is adding a second t-bucket and maybe dropping the Mounted Yeomen for a couple fo small lances as Mal pointed out.

Zaonite
22-07-2010, 21:37
2-3 lances as big as you can get them supported by smaller lances.

I feel bret players are going to have to specialize their lances now.

I've done this already. I have taken a 12 man unit of Errant Knights a small 8 man lance of KotR with a Lord in it and then a huge 13 man KotR lance accompanied by the fay enchantress.. All at 3k. Oh yeah, I have a 9 man unit of grail knights too.

Just concentrate on one unit a turn with the 8 man unit flanking. it works a treat for me, but then I love my lances... I barely use any peasants.

Grimstonefire
22-07-2010, 22:52
Given the Nighspinner thingy, I wouldn't be surprised if upcoming army books include NO units without models, but that such units will be presented in WD when the model is made.

That would be an interesting idea.

Use the army books just to collect all the new model rules/releases in the last 5 years in one place.

They could rapidly expand books as well, introducing models that can be used 'legally' in armies, but some of which may not make it into the rulebook without some minor tweaks for balancing.

It would give people a reason to buy WD as well, but unless GW have changed their policy yet again, I seem to remember them saying they didn't like people having to bring in loads of photocopies out of WD's, as their opponent may not be prepared.

On the flip side however, they'd need to keep some things to release with the book, so we'd have to see a substantial increase in model output if this was the policy for all armies from now on.

Archangelion
23-07-2010, 01:22
CRAP! Sorry about the misplaced Thread! I meant to switch over to General but forgot... stupid sleepy me!

Thanks for all the info though. I think I will keep keeping on with my Dark Elves for a while longer I guess, much work to do with them anyways. I think I might be able to hold out a year or two for the Brets. Shame though, I would really like to have a new book, with more options.. though, the new 8th edition DOES change things for the army... hmm.

Middenmordheimer
23-07-2010, 01:33
seriously i'd finish your army if i was you. most of the Bretonnian sets are awesome for their age. The peasant bowmen/men at arms have one of the best boxsets going bitz wise and the metal sets like questing knights are still awesome i just wouldnt get grail knights way too expensive for what they are.

Rolo Ramone
23-07-2010, 03:42
Its amazing how 8th gives Bretonnia a new air. In the beginning I was a little affraid of the destiny of the army with all those change boosting infantry, but looking it now, Bretonnia looks really interesting.

Im waiting to play my first 8th edition game with my army (still I got no time sadly).

defunct
23-07-2010, 04:16
I don't very much like the KoTR box, the knights seem a little blocky, especially their helmets (sculpting/casting quality not being too good). While metal knight sets are sleeker (obviously).
The set is certainly not horrible and is of course usable, but could be better.
As the quality of plastic releases has improved a lot, a new core knight box could be so awesome.

And plastic Mounted Yeomen release being a must.
Maybe also plastic Questing Knights, but I love the metal ones so much (started Brets as my third army because of them) that I'm inclined to believe a new plastic set would be inferior, loss of personality perhaps. But I'd love to be proven wrong, of course!! :)

And about a rules release... I'd like Men@Arms to have have WS3 again. :p
I don't like their 6th ed style, I preferred the 5th ed one. I undestand though that some people prefer the current one too, Bretonnia with a darker side.

Avian
23-07-2010, 06:50
It would give people a reason to buy WD as well, but unless GW have changed their policy yet again, I seem to remember them saying they didn't like people having to bring in loads of photocopies out of WD's, as their opponent may not be prepared.
Well, as said, the Nightspinner did have rules in WD, so they can't be that adamant about it these days. Maybe everyone who didn't like it has been fired or left. Maybe they reckon that all players are such hobby-enthusiasts that rules for things they haven't seen before won't bother them.

On the flip side however, they'd need to keep some things to release with the book, so we'd have to see a substantial increase in model output if this was the policy for all armies from now on.
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Zaonite
23-07-2010, 07:32
The KotR box is good quality for it's age. Although from a redo of models, I'd like to see plastic Questing and Grail Knights (it will give me an excuse to buy more knights) and maybe some more character models.
Rules wise what I'd want from a redo is either a point reduction here and there or a tweak to some stats and a few more and updated magic items.

Lord of the End Times
04-08-2010, 08:07
I like the KotR box, I think they are good models. What I would like to see is plastic questing and grail knights (priority questing knights). A better and cheaper plastic trebuchet would be nice, but not essential. The peasant bowmen and men at arms are beautiful but too expensive in for 5/6pt models.
In terms of armybook rules, I would like WS3 on men at arms along with the ability to take just hw+shield. Also ASF on lances the turn they charge. Apart from that I think the rules are fine, although a new book with some shiny new toys would be fantstic. Back to the point, I do not expect anything this year. I would guess late 2011 at the earliest (sadly).

KalEf
04-08-2010, 18:16
I like the KotR box, I think they are good models. What I would like to see is plastic questing and grail knights (priority questing knights). A better and cheaper plastic trebuchet would be nice, but not essential.

+1

I'm sure they will have an awesome list of abilities and Items (and hopefully king Louie can afford a better weapon then his sword of might lol... sigh)

my main question is: what will they do with the lance?
I would put money on either
A: make all mounted britts count as monstrous cav. It would also have a cool added affect for hypogriffs (and hopefully a special rule to keep thunder stomp ;) )
or
B: go back to the wedge. witch would be fun as well.

LeBeauMort
04-08-2010, 19:33
I would like to see a +1 Initiative bonus for a lance charge. I would also like to see a return to foot knights!

Something monsterous would be cool but I'm not sure what would fit the fluff? Giant rabbit siege tower? Maybe a Wyrm?

Trains_Get_Robbed
04-08-2010, 19:49
YES I just started a Brets under a month ago and the only thing they are missing to me is a super buffed unit of foot Knights! Make them special/rare and give them a 2+ A.S and give them s5 with G.W but always strike first or something that would make them special and as buffed or more so then Chaos Warriors or on par with S.M/ W.L killing ability. REDO the greail realique battle pilgrim things *maybe make it more like flaggents where they can sacrafice themselves for bonuses and have maybe a sort of charcter/peasant/oratory ride spewing the visions of the lady adn her word. ;)

A monster would be cool but, dosen't really fit Brets style, they slay the monsters, not tame them. Lastly, I would love to see a redo in Leoncuer's cost or a complete revamp/dismissal of him in/from the book.

davve
04-08-2010, 20:34
It appears that GW are slowing down on the army book releases, but putting more effort into (hopefully) getting them right. I think that's a sensible move - far better to wait longer between releases but get a book that is good for years, rather than have a new army book every 3 months and end up with something like the O&G book (or Dark Elves at the other end of the scale).
I don't think any company should aim for fast OR good. They should aim for fast AND good. It's actually quite sad that we (the customers) are now content with this state of affairs. That's the problem with a monopoly. Hopefully we'll see some serious competition enter the arena soon. Privateer press certainly is a candidate but they still have a long way to go.

Blinder
04-08-2010, 20:41
Yar... for the king he's really kind of lame, especially with 8th putting a big damper on his abilities (ld test or stand around in CC now rerollable with a BSB in the area, so it likely goes from "occasionally useful" to "almost never gonna happen to anything that matters," regen is only useful after he runs away from something, and M@A/bowmen becoming specials can throw things heavily out-of-whack with the new infantry focus) and he's your *only* lord in a 3k game. Never had much interest in fielding him when I was thinking up the army for 6th either, though, IMO he's just not all that great as a character (he's got a good bit of character to him, but too many strings and he'll always look like he's leading some small strike team, not the massed armies of Bretonnia).

The only thing I can think of that really "needs" changing are pegasus knights... they need a special extension of skirmish rules to adjust for the fact that they just plain don't line up all nice and neat even if you alternate which height peg you use for their bases. An initiative bonus for charging using a lance would be nice (ASF I think is overkill aside from maybe giving a magic lance ASF as a bonus) and going back to a wedge formation would be nice (though a pain when it comes to getting trays put together) but I don't think there's much in the way of rules that the book really *needs.*

Foot knights (rather than just a few paladins w/ empathy) would be nice though, and I agree that aside from mounts like hippogryphs the Brets should be in the business of slaying monsters, not keeping them as pets.

Model-wise... I like the questing knights as they are... they're pretty high up on my list of "things to get" just for the looks, and I don't think they'd look as nice in plastic, though another sculpt or two would be good. I *don't* like the new grail knights all that much, though... but I don't know that I'd like a plastic version any better. To me they *really* need to have lots of fine details and while silly, I like the idea of them having a certain weight to them to go with their stature. Plastic yeomen, on the other hand, are the only thing that will get me to use them, and I'd like to see some kind of "shield pack" for knights with raised detail (or at least separate dang transfer sheets for the different heraldry so those of us who aren't so good with freehand can get enough of one design to actually do up all the models in a big M@A unit and still have some left over to pick one to unify knight units a little).

And for the love of pete, what the heck is up with the "Arms" part of Men at Arms... the models look great... but were one of the most obnoxious assembly experiences I've ever had!

major soma
13-08-2010, 15:31
It has been suggested to me by someone in the industry that Brets and Wood Elves are tentatively penned in for 2012. The same person said that Chaos Dwarfs and DOW are still perfectly legit in 8th edition and not to throw away any minis.

Oglog
15-08-2010, 12:41
I find it funny how some armies get a 7th and 8th edition book (orcs and goblins) , while armies such as bretonnians, a book from 6th edition, wont get a new book until 9 or so years after the release of the previous (current) one (2003-2012), half way through 8th edition. Model wise, they just need to make the current metal knights/yeomen plastic, apart from that (and ofc, beloved plastic foot knights would be good), I would be happy :)

nazrag
22-11-2010, 12:55
Not to be a horrible gravedigger or anything :shifty:

But any more news on this?

I tried a bit of search-fu, but apparently it is not so strong in me :cries:

Odin
22-11-2010, 14:08
I find it funny how some armies get a 7th and 8th edition book (orcs and goblins) , while armies such as bretonnians, a book from 6th edition, wont get a new book until 9 or so years after the release of the previous (current) one (2003-2012), half way through 8th edition. Model wise, they just need to make the current metal knights/yeomen plastic, apart from that (and ofc, beloved plastic foot knights would be good), I would be happy :)

Some armies just need it more than others. Why spend a huge amount of resources on the perfectly fine Bretonnian book when Animosity is crippling Orcs and Goblins, and Tomb Kings are playing a completely different game? GW don't always get it right, but in this case they have - there are much higher priorities than Bretonnians.

Not to be a horrible gravedigger or anything :shifty:

But any more news on this?

I tried a bit of search-fu, but apparently it is not so strong in me :cries:

Your search-fu failed because there is nothing to find. Orcs and Goblins, Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms appear to be the next three armies, and we don't know much beyond that except there are vague rumours that Wood Elves and even Warriors of Chaos are in early stages. Bretonnians don't feature on any of the rumours I've seen.

nazrag
23-11-2010, 08:56
Your search-fu failed because there is nothing to find. Orcs and Goblins, Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms appear to be the next three armies, and we don't know much beyond that except there are vague rumours that Wood Elves and even Warriors of Chaos are in early stages. Bretonnians don't feature on any of the rumours I've seen.

Well then I am not a complete idiot :p

Thanks for the answers :)