PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition Charging do you measure the Wheel or Not?

eagletsi1
22-07-2010, 13:23
I have now played 10 games in 8th edition in 5 we didn't measure the wheel and in 5 we did?

Basically, I was wondering how everyone else plays it.

The rules state measure the distance from the closet point and make the roll. They also say now that the charge is in range you can move unlimited distance, but you may make only charge in a straight line and are allowed 1 wheel, to maximize enemy contact. Finally, you can get another wheel after the contact with the enemy Closing the door.

Now from this I would assume you get a free wheel, but our store has had many arguments over this debate. Some of our members will not play unless you count the wheel.

So how does everyone else play it?

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 13:25
I don't know where those arguments come from again when the rules clearly state you have infinite movement as we do already know they're within reach.

Case closed.

And who would want to play against such people anyway? Good riddance I'd say.

The SkaerKrow
22-07-2010, 13:28
You roll your charge distance and measure between the charging unit and the charged unit. If the units are within the charge distance, you are in range for the charge, end of story (no further measurement is made at this point). The only question left becomes whether or not the charging unit can reach its target while making no more than a single wheel maneuver.

eagletsi1
22-07-2010, 13:34
Ok. That's what I thought,but wanted to make sure we didn't miss anything. I guess these people in our group our still holding onto some rules from the 7th edition. They must unlearn what they have learned!

Thanks everyone.

Zaustus
22-07-2010, 13:39
Yeah, there's no ambiguity at all. You measure the nearest straight-line distance between the units as per "Measuring Distances" on p.6. That number (rounded up to the nearest inch) minus your unit's Move is the 2d6 roll you need.

Should you roll high enough, you move your unit straight forward, make one free wheel of up to 90, and move straight forward again in such a way as to maximize models in combat on both sides.

The only measuring for a charge is the initial straight-line distance between the units. The book is very specific that the charge move itself is not measured and is effectively infinite once the unit has been found to be within charging range.

Anyone claiming that you need to "measure the wheel" isn't playing 8th edition at all, and needs to do a thorough reading of the game rules.