PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Lord of the Rings Painters 2010-2011

someone2040
06-08-2010, 12:37
The Tale of Lord of the Rings Painters 2010-2011

Hey all,
Tale of Fantasy Painters and Tale of 40k Painters are starting up the next iterations of their tales. But where is Lord of the Rings? It's a core game too right!? So I reckon Lord of the Rings deserves a Tale for painters as well!

The 2009 thread for Tale of War of the Rings Painters didn't go so well, it all but died out 6 months ago. So we're going to try something a bit different this time, so read on!

What's this all about
Yep, I'm shamelessly copying the format from Tale of Fantasy Painters.

If you reckon, you could use a helping hand a bit of motivational spirit in getting your Lord of the Rings figures painted, you've come to the right place! We'll be running this thread for a year, so people are free to join in when they want. We're not going to run it as tight as Tale of Fantasy Painters, so you're free to choose how long you wish to participate and how many points you wish to paint.

Each month we ask that you stop in at the start of the month, and write a semi-formal post about what you painted during the month, how many points it adds up to, maybe what colours you used or new things you tried out and show images of your painted models!

If you didn't manage to paint any models during the month, you need to post a Gollum. What's a Gollum? It's our version of the Joker. It's basically saying for whatever reason, you didn't get around to painting this month, but you're still alive and going to paint more!

Whether it's an army for the SBG, or a host of warriors for War of the Ring, we hope by the end of the Tale you will have accomplished your goal of painting it.

From Battle Companies to Battlehosts
Unlike the Tale of Fantasy Painters, you are free to decide how long you want to be a part of the Tale, and how many points you wish to paint. When you sign up, please state how many months you're going to be participating with the given army, and how many points you'll be painting (or models in the case where points don't make sense - i.e for a special scenario) as well as for what system (WoTR or SBG).

Here are a few suggestions on time frames and points values.

For War of the Ring, I personally suggest doing it over a 12 month period. 12 months is a long time, but you also need to paint a lot of models. No easy feat. For points values, suggested values range from 1000 points to 2000 points.

The Strategy Battle Game, I would suggest 500 to 750 points over a 6 month period. Not quite so many models to paint in the SBG.

Whatever you decide, you should be able to split it up into monthly milestones that are approximately 10% (over 12 months) or 20% (over 6 months) of your force (note the above percentages accounts for 2 gollums over 12 months, or 1 over 6 months).

Kick off time
Officially, we don't start until September. This month will be used for sign ups. However, don't let this stop you from starting to paint your figures.

Frequently Asked Question
Ok, I'm making this up. This is the first time this is being run like this, so there haven't been many questions so far!

Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
A : No you are not too late. Yes you can still join in. Just post on this thread saying which army and how many points you intend to paint. Of course, the later it is, the less time you've got to paint models, so join in soon!

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive model?
If you are painting an expensive model that is more points than what you have allocated monthly, all you do is split the model over multiple months. For example, if your model is 400 points (and you're paintin 200 points per month), he just counts as 2 months worth of models. Show us a WiP pic in the first month, and then post the finished product in the second month. Of course, if you get it done in 1 month, then you know you've got a month spare at some point!

The Painters So Far
I'll add to this list as people join.

War of the Ring
someone2040 - Gondor(Fiefdoms) - 2000 points - 12 months.
enfid - Fallen Realms - 1000 points - 12 months
enfid - Mordor - 1000 points - 12 months
Lorelorn - Misty Mountains - 2500 points - 12 months
The Marshel - Fallen Realms - 2000 points - 12 months
Arobe - Angmar - 3000 points - 12 months
Bigglesworth - Dwarf Holds - 1000 points - 6 months
McLucien18 - Fallen Realms - 1000 points - 12 months
Khamul - Mordor - 1000 points - 12 months

Strategy Battle Game
The Marshel - Lothlorien - 750 points - 12 months
Mr Feral - Harad/Umbar - 500 points -12 months
Cal585 - Gondor - 500 points - 12 months
C-Coen - Dwarves - 500 points - 12 months
C-Coen - Easterlings - 500 points - 12 months

Enfid
06-08-2010, 14:08
Sounds interesting! I'll join in.

War of the Ring -
Fallen Realms - 1000 points - 12 months
Mordor - 1000 points - 12 months (my brother's who's not into painting, but in gaming. I agreed to paint for him.)

Edit a bit just to make the list clear:

A legal Far Harad List
Far Harad (1000 points)

Mahud Wartribe Battlehost
4 com. Mahud Warband + banner
3 com Mahud Warband + banner
4 com. Mahud Raiders + Blowpipe + King (Chieftain)
Mumak
Suladan *
2 com. Haradrim Warriors *

* - Done

And no, I don't expect this army to do well. But I like the theme, and will try to find a way to make it good.

Mordor
Black Numenorean (1000 points)
Dark Marshal
Knight of Umbar
4 com. Black Numenorean
4 com. Black Numenorean
4 com. Mordor Orcs + bows
4 com. Morgul Knight
4 com. Warg Rider
3 com. Morgul Stalker

lorelorn
07-08-2010, 00:49
cool

War of the Ring
Misty Mountains (the summoner's horde)
2500 points... for now
12 months (or until I'm done)

list:
6 companies of wargs, warg chieftain x4
4 companies of prowlers
6 companies of giant spiders

3 companies of broodling swarms
1 spider queen
2 cave drakes
1 stone giant *
1 dragon *

druzag the summoner

*already painted

The Marshel
07-08-2010, 08:19
hmm, lets say...
2000 points fallen relams wotr completed within 12 months (not sure on what i would want to be putting out on a week by week basis.

and depending on how i go, 750 points lothlorien, sbg 12 months.

put me down for both of those for now please

someone2040
07-08-2010, 09:27
Great to have you guys in.

@The Marshel
You don't need to plot out your list or anything. Of course, I find it's helpful having an end point in mind. That being said, I don't have a 2000 point list in mind. I've written out a 1000 point one a while back, and from that point on I'll just be adding in the rest of the stuff I've bought (Should add up... I hope XD)

The Marshel
07-08-2010, 10:53
its more that i have a big 40k apoc battle coming up and that'll take up alot of my painting time for a month or two. I probably will plot out planned list for each, though the wotr list is likely to change a fair bit

arobe
07-08-2010, 14:07
I'll be happy to join this tale, should be fun!

I'm doing a WOTR 3000 Angmar list

Gulavhar
The Dwimmerlaik
The Tainted

4 companies of Carn Dum Warriors x 6

6 companies of ghostly Riders

3 werewolf packs

3 khandish Kings on chariots

1 Stone Giant

With the exception of the characters Ill be using historical Celt miniatures or conversions for this army.

I'm thinking it will take 12 months to paint but if i really get motivated it could take less.

someone2040
12-08-2010, 06:45
Hi Arobe,
thanks for your interest! I've jotted you down (Well, I jotted you down 5 days ago... but we need a bump).
It's a pity we don't seem to be gathering much interest. Maybe we'll gather some momentum when people start seeing our pretty models.

lorelorn
12-08-2010, 10:16
Yes, it is disappointing - I think we had more people in the thread discussing how to start!

I reckon just go ahead anyway. Thanks for taking the time to organise this btw

Cal585
12-08-2010, 11:05
I shouldn't but chances are I'll enter a SBG army or 2. I'm just trying to work out whether I have enough to upgrade either to WotR (as I wouldn't mind trialling that). Anyway, just thought I'd inform you of my intent so you know at least an extra person will participate.

The Marshel
12-08-2010, 12:39
i suppose between the limited number of sbg/wotr players on warseer, combined with the limited number of those player with either an armies worth of minis to paint, or the ability and will to commit to and purchase an army to paint, we should only really be expecting a small handful anyway.

Mr Feral
12-08-2010, 14:11
Oh it's tempting, I do have some Corsairs and Haradrim to paint up in the colours of the Golden King.

Oh go on then, put me down for Harad / Umbar -500pts SBG*

*I expect to be yelled at if I fail as I tend to do with every "Tale of.." I sign up to. No really. :P

someone2040
13-08-2010, 02:04
Great to have a few more guys on board/showing intent.

@Mr Feral
How many months do you see yourself putting into the Tale on your SBG list? full 12 months?

@The Marshel
I suppose that's true. Was just expecting there'd be a few more people with hidden stashes of LOTR figures.

Mr Feral
13-08-2010, 09:45
@Mr Feral
How many months do you see yourself putting into the Tale on your SBG list? full 12 months?.

Let's make it 12 months, I think I should be able to cope with that.

someone2040
18-08-2010, 05:48
Great Mr Feral, I've updated with that info in the first post.

someone2040
28-08-2010, 02:50
Well guys, I don't think we're going to get anymore followers (or at least not when the topic is sitting on the 2nd page anyway). I think we may as well enjoy a few days head start (Not that there's any issue with starting early anyway).

As for me, I've decided to take pictures of the reason why I'm doing this Tale. First up is the army to date.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/ArmyShot01.jpg
I started collecting this army back when War of the Ring came out, sounded like a really cool game and looked like one from what I saw. So throughout the year and a half since it's debut I've managed to assemble a fair few miniatures, but not gotten paint on many of them. To be completely honest, until Battlehosts I had only painted the 8 Warriors of Minas Tirrith (or Warriors of DOl Amroth) as well as 2 Knights.
When Battlehosts came out I manged to paint Imrahil on foot, as well as some of the Foot Knights.
So unfortunately I just haven't had much motivation to paint these guys (Although, to be fair in quick succession Blood Angels came out, then Battlehosts, then I decided to start Beastmen as my next army, so it's been a busy schedule).

Of course... back when Battlehosts came out, I did the foolish thing of buying a lot of expensive models. And I mean a lot.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/ArmyShot02.jpg
Yes, in that box is the remaining 3 Companies of Men at Arms, Foot Knights, Swordsmen of Lameodon and the Axemen of Lossarnach. Abd that really is the primary motivation for me in this tale. If it was only the army as assembled, I would not feel so bad - but this is a box of unpainted metal miniatures here! I can't on my good conscience just have them unpainted for the remainder of their days (or until I sold them off eventually... but I hoard my stuff...).

Anyone else got piles of stuff they're painting for this Tale? I think it'd be interesting to see the Pile at the start and end of the Tale (Hopefully nothing on the Pile at the end!).

Mr Feral
28-08-2010, 09:17
Hello, I'm Feral and I seem unable to finish any "Tale of...", but that's going to change.

I'm hoping my small yet sensible target of 500 points or the year is good for me, but if I ever start to flag and falter, please do yell encouragement at me! :P

I don't really have a set plan for this tale, but I do have this to do eventually at least:
The Golden King of Abrakhan
Haradrim Raiders (one box's worth)
Corsairs of Umbar (one box's worth)
Corsair Captain and Bo'sun
Dalamyr, Fleetmaster of Umbar (maybe as an extra)

I have some Corsairs plus the Bo'sun in a state of PIP for a while now, so they will be the first thing to expect from me. :)

Cal585
29-08-2010, 06:48
I tentatively bid 500 points Gondor (SBG - 12 months). Either Gondor or Misty Mountains. But at this stage I'm thinking 500 points Gondor, plus Gondor and Corsair Battle Companies (with battle reports) and possibly a Gondorian town board (if not for the Tale, then after it), but we'll see.

sigur
29-08-2010, 09:06
Great to see a Tale about LotR! Looking forward to seeing stuff done by you guys. :)

dax
29-08-2010, 16:02
I might be interested in this but I'm not committing just yet. I'm planning to do a WOTR Dwarf Holds force, I've ordered some warriors and rangers but haven't given the army list much thought yet.

If I'm in I'll post some work at the end of September/beginning of October and commit to a point limit then most likely over 12 months. If I don't post at all you can take it I've decided not to participate.

someone2040
30-08-2010, 00:17
@Cal585
Great to have you on board mate, I've put your name down in the original thread. If you do decide to do the other Battle Companies and board, let me know and I'll put those down as well.

@Sigur
Yep, I hope this one works out! I can't wait to see other people's mini's either as I haven't delved much into LOTR myself.

@Dax
That's fine mate. When you decide to jump in I'll write your name down :). Hope you join us along the way.

Bigglesworth
01-09-2010, 18:55
I would like to sign up for a dwarf holds force, around 1000pt. I will aim to paint about 150pt, or roughly 2-3 companies with command upgrades. Sign me up for 6 months and I will see how it goes from there, and might add to the force.

Just one question, when you say post near the start of the month, the first month to post finished figures would be October?

someone2040
02-09-2010, 01:27
Hi Bigglesworth,
Yep, that's correct. Basically at the start of every month, post what you did in the previous month. So since we're starting in September (i.e now) the first month would be as you said, October.
Feel free to post WIP's and stuff throughout the month though to keep the thread alive. You can post finished stuff as well, but it's easier for me to keep track of where people are at if there's an official post basically once a month stating how many points you did in the previous month, and some flashy pictures to go with it.

lorelorn
02-09-2010, 09:33
I might be interested in this but I'm not committing just yet. I'm planning to do a WOTR Dwarf Holds force, I've ordered some warriors and rangers but haven't given the army list much thought yet.

If I'm in I'll post some work at the end of September/beginning of October and commit to a point limit then most likely over 12 months. If I don't post at all you can take it I've decided not to participate.

I look forward to seeing anything you paint Dax. I remember your minis from before and always found your paint jobs excellent.

McLucien18
02-09-2010, 11:57
I''l see what I can do, I've already got Dalamyr on my paint station, so I'll do 1k of Harad/Fallen Realms.

Lucien

C-Coen
02-09-2010, 16:16
Ah, almost forgot about joining. That's a promising start for this Tale... :p
I think I'd do 500 pts of SBG.. twice.

Current plans (as of 2nd September 2010)
500pts Dwarves
500pts Easterlings

Dwarves:
Balin
5 Iron Guard
10 Dwarf warriors, 2-handed weapons
15 Dwarf warriors, shields
15 Dwarf warriors, dwarven bows

Easterlings:
Amdr, Lord of Blades
Dragon Knight
24 Easterling warriors, shield, spear
12 Easterling warriors, bow

Gonna be a tough 12 months, first year at university and on my own etc, so I'm not sure what I can make true. But I can always try!

someone2040
03-09-2010, 08:09
Great to have more guys on board :).

@Mclucien18
I've put you down for 12 months (Assuming it's WoTR also), but let me know if you were going to do a shorter period of time.

C-Coen
18-09-2010, 18:17
Time to post some WIP shots. Haven't done any painting, but actually bought the start of my 2 armies today. Already started converting the Easterlings.
Because as we all know, there are too few warriors with spears in that box. 4 for every 8 sword and shield men, while you would rather have it the other way around. And because I wanted all of my non-bow armed warriors to have spears (yay for flexibility!) I surely had to think up something. First I had the idea of a more naginata style weapon, but then went for the more traditional pole-arm shape. Easy and good looking. And while I was at it, I removed those little 'things' from the back of the helmets, which always reminded me too much of bunny ears. Those who were already armed with spears looked much more professional than the converted ones though (those weapons look great), so I opted to glue the 'bunny ears' in some modified form back on the front of their helmets, in a nice samurai-esque way. Also gave me some good ideas for helmet decoration for the leaders (as yet to be done on the Dragon Knight). That's the one on the last pictures, because not only did I dislike the non-dynamic pose of the original miniature, I also didn't feel like spending too much money on the command kit, just for that one guy. Besides, I already had the captain model lying around..

Here the pics then, now show me yours!

Mr Feral
18-09-2010, 20:43
Ooh, I love what you've done with their pikes there C-Coen! The Dragon Knight is shaping up nicely as well, the reposing and weapon swaps are fab. Are you going to give him a cloak like the original model? :)

someone2040
22-09-2010, 00:30
Since I'm a bit pressed for time this month (Busy work, painting my Bloodbowl team, let alone painting for two Tales) I've decided to have a lighter month of work.
I'm going to finish off my Radagast and 2 Companies of Swan Knights. So very light workload since most of it as ~60% or so done, but will put more effort into it next month when I don't have so much other stuff to worry about.

Will try to get pictures up this weekend (I wanted to last weekend, but got lazy about it).

C-Coen
22-09-2010, 16:14
Ooh, I love what you've done with their pikes there C-Coen! The Dragon Knight is shaping up nicely as well, the reposing and weapon swaps are fab. Are you going to give him a cloak like the original model? :)
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I can't make up my mind on how to finish him, but that's also because it depends on how I'll make my leader, Amdr. Surely, the mid-range hero can't look better than the big boss! If I'll go with the original model for Amdr, the Knight won't change too much, but if I manage to think up something much better for him, the Knight is 'allowed' to look better as well. If all that makes sense...

Will try to get pictures up this weekend (I wanted to last weekend, but got lazy about it).

Ah well, you probably won't be the only one who will be a bit late or already off schedule. I'll only be able to build (let alone paint) more models this weekend, with a slight possibility to paint them next week, photographing them that weekend..

Khamul
22-09-2010, 21:37
I'll try a 1000 point War of the Ring force over 12 months, as my painting is rather sporadic. I think I'll do Mordor, but if I get through that reasonably quickly I'll probably move on to another thousand of Isengard.

someone2040
29-09-2010, 07:14
I got my Radagast done on the weekend. Just going to finish off my 4 Knights and then I'll be set for this month (Although, huge cop out. Given that the models were at least 50% done already).
So I'll wait until the weekend to post my finished pictures.

someone2040
03-10-2010, 07:59
Army: Gondor Fiefdoms, 2000 points War of the Ring
Models Painted: Radagast the Brown and 3 Companies of Swan Knights
Still to do: Need to varnish these guys to protect them being all metal models. I also need to apply a gloss varnish to the leaves on radagast to make them feel a bit more like seaweed.
Notes & Comment: 2 of these models were already complete. Most of them were over 50% done before the Tale started, so I haven't done that much painting this month. This coming month will be the real test of that. I think Radagast turned out quite well in the end. I painted him with the idea of some kind've Storm Mage since Dol Amroth is near the sea of course. I don't like hap-hazard approaches to armies, so prefer they all stick to one colour scheme.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/SwanKnights01.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/SwanKnights03.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/SwanKnights02.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/Radagast02.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/Radagast01.jpg

arobe
03-10-2010, 11:18
Characters first

Terror - 200 points

Winged Nazgul - tainted 250

Next month will be harder as I've still to assemble the rank and file

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/adrian111111/100_0257.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/adrian111111/100_0256.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/adrian111111/100_0255.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/adrian111111/100_0254.jpg

C-Coen
03-10-2010, 14:06
Well, I finished exactly as many models as arobe.. though two quite less impressive ones.

The fact that I only got my models the second half of the month didn't really help, the fact that I didn't really have any time to work on them didn't either.
Next/this month, on the other hand, I'll have a week off university and possibly some time in between somewhere.
Still, a couple of pictures.
I wanted the easterlings to be dark, evil, cold. So no warm red and gold colours now (no matter how much I love that scheme), but black, blue, vale brown and silver. Besides the finished spearmen I started painting on 4 archers and converted 4 more spearmen. I also got some stuff done on my conversion for Amdr, who - I thought - should look pretty mean.
Then there are the dwarves, also one warrior done, but started on 10 more of whom 2 Iron Guard.

Painted:

Dwarves: 1 Dwarf warrior with two handed axe (8 pts, 492 to go)

Easterlings: 1 Easterling warrior with shield and spear (10 pts, 490 to go)

Mr Feral
07-10-2010, 20:14
Well done to everyone who has completed models thus far!

Here's my "progress" for the Tale:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rHcUlO1RZoQ/TK4AhrvRmaI/AAAAAAAAAKI/rgcQOqT7OLQ/s1600/Corsairs+%26+Golden+King+WIP.jpg

That being six Corsairs of Umbar (three each of Buckler and Spear), a Corsar Bo'sun (hiding in the back there) and the throne bearers of the Golden King of Abrakhan. It's just basecoats and washes thrown down at the moment, although I've done a few highlights on the Corsairs to see how the colours would pan out. This lot along with the Golden King himself will be done and completed for the end of next month. :)

McLucien18
08-10-2010, 16:35
Great to have more guys on board :).

@Mclucien18
I've put you down for 12 months (Assuming it's WoTR also), but let me know if you were going to do a shorter period of time.

Yeah, it'll be over 12 months due to other projects on the go. I should have something up be the end of the month.

Lucien

Cal585
09-10-2010, 13:08
I'm afraid I'm jokering the first month. I feel bad because I'm not even painting a WotR army and so have far less to actually do. I've spent most of the month pondering colour schemes for my WoMT and working out how to fix my poorly painted armour (most of my Warriors have receieved some sort of amateur painting in the past which I'm trying to solve through repainting). I did actually achieve these aims but don't have detailing and stuff done yet so I'll just throw them in with next month's allotment.

@ someone - Nice Radagast. It's interesting to see him in another colour scheme and I think he looks surprisingly good. Also a very nice bird, though the eyes seem to throw it a little.
@arobe - I must say I do like your basing. The shrubs or clumps of grass sticking up really have a nice feel to them that seperates them from normal basing work.
@ C-Coen - Those Easterling conversions really do like nice. I'm eager to see them all done. Very promising start.

someone2040
16-10-2010, 01:00
A bit late, but here's my comments on the painters this month.

Arobe : Great looking monsters. I really like how the fleshy coloured areas on the Terror seem to blend in with the greys. Good luck on next months work, rank and file is tough!
C-Coen : Easterling and Dwarf look good. Might I suggest on the Dwarf a highlight on the face, and another wash on the dwarfs armour on the back. It might be the camera, but his back armour doesnt look as shaded to the armour below his waist. And I think a highlight on the Dwarfs face would really bring it out. Work in progress stuff looks good, can't wait to see next months work.
Mr Feral : Work in progress mini's look good mate. I reckon it'll look good when you get the other colours on there.

@Cal585
I think I actually forgot to paint the Birds eyes in the end! Which is probably why they look off.

lorelorn
18-10-2010, 03:06
For this month I managed a formation of six warg companies, and some broodling swarms.

Here they are:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/lorelorn/mmprog28sep.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/lorelorn/mmprogressnov10.jpg

Current work in progress is six giant spiders. I should have those finished by the end of this month.

someone2040
22-10-2010, 06:57
I like them Lorelorn. They look good, and I like the basing on you wargs.

someone2040
06-11-2010, 04:33
Models Painted: 3 Companies of Foot Knights, with Captain and Banner Bearer
Total Points: 530
Still to do: I have to paint the shields for these guys. I think I've manged to lose 2 which sucks, but I'll have to search around. I remember putting some shields a while back in a little plastic bag with some other bits that had fallen off other models when I was painting my first company a while back. I did intend to have all 4 companies done, but the remaining models require conversion (or have already been converted, but are waiting to be painted). These converted models will be mixed in with the other companies to get a bit more variety.
Notes & Comment: 6 Models of these had already been painted a while back. So almost 1/3 of the work was already done. THey look slightly different because I used a different scheme for whie when I was painting them (starting off with adeptus battlegrey instead of astronican grey - a lot less work starting off with astronomican grey).
Also, painting these guys goe's much faster when I used the large brush instead of base coat brush to get the base metal done quickly. I enjoy painting the Foot Knights, since they're pretty simple and don't have too many finicky details.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights01.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights02.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights04.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights03.jpg

C-Coen
08-11-2010, 07:32
Ain't very busy over here..

Anyway: Easterlings
After painting a couple more of the warriors, I decided the colourscheme wasn't working, they simply didn't quite look like I wanted them to. To have some finished painting, I did paint Amdr, who was now fully converted.
Because of my first battle with the Easterlings, I also had to convert all the swordmen to spear/pikemen. And while in the process of doing that, I made sure no spearman was the same as those before. At least that's done now!

And: Dwarves
Almost finished the 8 warriors and 2 Iron Guard, who will most certainly be done this month then. Again, to have finished something: Balin

Pictures of the painted guys aren't of the best quality, will get better ones later on.

someone2040
17-11-2010, 02:59
Hey C-Coen,
Agree, a bit quiet in this thread unfortunately :(.
Your Easterlings look great though, really like how Amdur turned out. The little 'w' shaped plastic bit on the mask makes all the difference, cause I didn't think he looked that good without it.

sartarius
17-11-2010, 16:57
looking very good guys, its great seeing lotr and wotr getting some love on this forum
someone2040 your fiefdoms army looks pretty good so far :) you thinking of adding any other allies? had an idea for my fiefdoms concerning outriders of rohan

Mr Feral
17-11-2010, 21:00
Sorry, been very busy the last month or so (work, house inspection...) so I am going to Joker this month. :(

someone2040
18-11-2010, 03:02
looking very good guys, its great seeing lotr and wotr getting some love on this forum
someone2040 your fiefdoms army looks pretty good so far :) you thinking of adding any other allies? had an idea for my fiefdoms concerning outriders of rohan
At the moment the idea is just to be pure Fiefdoms (maybe some vanilla Warriors of Minas Tirrith/Archers of Minas Tirrith as well). I don't really plan to branch out to allies for now (other than Radagast).
That and I've never played a game of either LoTR/WoTR, and given the amount of activity it sees locally, am reluctant to purchase more (but since I've already spent all this money, do want to get this stuff done).

My painting this month, I've started my Swordsmen of Lamedon this week. But am just surprised at how cheap they are. 30 points per company, and I only planned to paint 2 for this month. Definately fallen a bit behind there.

Feanorthenoldor
27-11-2010, 18:07
Hi all, I'm new to this site, but I'm a frequent poster on the One Ring.

I only play Wotr. Here is my large thread on the OR:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16893&start=340

my latest and best is on the last page, anyway comments and thanks for doing this thread, its awesome!@

someone2040
29-11-2010, 05:41
Hi all, I'm new to this site, but I'm a frequent poster on the One Ring.

I only play Wotr. Here is my large thread on the OR:

my latest and best is on the last page, anyway comments and thanks for doing this thread, its awesome!@
Your Elves look cool Feanorthenoldor. Hopefully my Fiefdoms rivals yours in that amount someday (or in just a little over half a year XD).
If you ever get more Elves, and are looking to join in on the fun, stop by even if it's a little lonely here at the moment.

Feanorthenoldor
30-11-2010, 20:37
hey all, I have a quick question.

For Christmas I am going to be getting the Three Hunters set from GW.

The only problem is that I do not know which specific colors I need to get.

So if anybody had done these models or has any insight on what colors to use to paint them...PLZ tell mE!!!

feanorthenoldor

someone2040
05-12-2010, 02:40
Models Painted: 1 Company of Foot Knights, 2 Companies of Swordsmen of Lamedon + Angbor the Fearless
Total Points: 710
Still to do: The shields for all my Foot Knights still need to be done. But good news is I found the missing ones, so I'll probably knock them off over the week or something. I've also gotta base a few more movement trays.

Notes & Comment: Nothing really to comment about. The Foot Knights are mostly converted ones, where I've lowered the sword. These'll eventually be spread out through my companies to give a bit more variation.
The Swordsmen of Lamedon I did a little bit of greenstuffing, some hair on some of the bald ones and a moustache on some of the boyish ones.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights05.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/Lamedon01.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/Lamedon02.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/Lamedon03.jpg

Feanorthenoldor
05-12-2010, 03:34
Bravo, I see I'm not the only one in this world who is doing a nice wotr army!

Anyway keep up the good work!!

oh, and mustache that you put in looks better than GW's made one, good job.

feanorthenoldor

Khamul
07-12-2010, 01:21
After a long break from painting, I've finally got over my natural procrastinating instincts and painted 250 points- X1 Winged Nazgul. I'm going for a very black look, like in the movie.

Feanorthenoldor
10-12-2010, 20:24
hey all, this is my first post, I have an army pic on the one-ring

anyway I have been improving on my highlighting skills so I thought I might take some pics and post them.
here's a company of Galadhrim archers with captain
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/001-3.jpg

C-Coen
16-12-2010, 12:23
Just to let you know, I'm still alive and even painting every now and then.
Have not been able to take pictures this month, but did finish:

Easterlings: Dragon Knight, 4 archers, 4 spearmen

Dwarves: 4 archers, 4 shieldmen, 2 Iron Guard

Will start on 11 more spearmen today, and in the last days of december hope to finish another bunch of dwarves. Then with pictures!

Feanorthenoldor
31-12-2010, 16:11
ok guys, a big update for today!

first of all, I went to GW yesterday and got 2 boxes of Galadhrim warriors and the Three Hunters!!

two days before I got my package that contained 5 blister packs of Guards of Galadhrim court, and a stormcaller!

I now have 5 companies of archers
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/039-1.jpg

3 companies of Guards and 3 companies of Gildors Household, I'll probably scrap Gildor's household, and replace it with more companies of Guards.
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/042.jpg

and of course the cavalry
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/043-1.jpg

5 companies of warriors with Gil-Galad and an army banner
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/044.jpg

5 more companies with stormcaller
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/045-3.jpg

also I have been doing work on highlighting my cloaks
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/feanorthenoldor/047-1.jpg

well that's my update for now
COMMENTS PLZZZZZZZ

feanorthenoldor

someone2040
01-01-2011, 23:09
Hey guys,
Good to know we've still got a few people hanging around and painting Lord of the Rings.

For me, I didn't get much done in December. This was somewhat planned, I guess I better pick up my game in January. Although, I'm away for 2 weeks of January! :cries: So going to be a tough month painting wise.

What I did get done however, is the mass of Foot Knight shields I had been putting off. So it's not as if I did nothing.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/someone2040/Lord%20of%20the%20Rings/Dol%20Amroth%20and%20Fiefdoms/FootKnights06.jpg

lorelorn
07-01-2011, 08:24
The foot knights are looking good, and that elf army look great!

I've been updating my own project log, but it's taken me three months to finish a mere six giant spiders. Here they are:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/lorelorn/gspiders.jpg

The pace will hopefully pick up this year, I intend to make finishing the Misty Mountains army my priority, at least right now I do. I recently picked up 48 Gundabad Blackshields and also scored a Cave Drake at Christmas so the army has grown faster than I'm painting it....

Khamul
09-01-2011, 01:17
@lorelorn- Sweet Giant spiders!!! Did you make them yourself or buy them from somewhere?

C-Coen
09-01-2011, 21:58
Finally some pictures, but they're not of great quality!
However, I thought I could at least show that I painted something: instead of waiting another week with pictures, I'll post these for now and get some better ones next week. Colours are all off and details aren't shown, but it's about the idea...

So that's a mighty 342 points done for Easterlings and 185 for the Dwarves.. lagging behind a bit, but that fits them. Besides, I maybe shouldn't have started a Skaven army when still busy with this...

Feanorthenoldor
10-01-2011, 01:20
nice job C-Coen! I like what you did with the easterling helmets!:)

lorelorn
25-01-2011, 09:20
Your easterling conversions are very effective, I like them a lot.

someone2040
06-02-2011, 06:02
Agreed, very nice.

Unfortunately I didn't get anything LOTR-wise done in January. Being away for 3 weeks kinda hurts the painting schedule.

Khamul
06-02-2011, 06:21
Unfortunately I didn't get anything LOTR-wise done in January. Being away for 3 weeks kinda hurts the painting schedule.

Exactly the same here... and the only models I did get around to painting were Blood Angels.