PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your models?

NightAngel
19-08-2010, 16:44
I'm curious as to the conditions you require your models to be in before the go into battle.

Jind_Singh
19-08-2010, 16:53
FULLY assembled and on a base is minimum requirement (I hate it when people turn up with models that are just armless or headless or whatever)
Sand on the base with black primer on the entire model is next
Foundation painted models is next target
Actually painted units after that - but I'm happy if there's at least some colour on all the models

Fluff wise their condition should be:

1) Not sleepy
2) With their weapons
3) With their battle orders

chilledenuff
19-08-2010, 17:02
I chose 'I do paint stuff just, over time and I'll game with them till then' but I'd like to move the comma:

I do paint stuff, just over time and I'll game with them till then

I love using a painted army, but equally I want it to look nice so I generally use unpainted toys to begin with, but eventually a nice painted army

BigbyWolf
19-08-2010, 17:02
Assembled.

That is all.

Duke_Corwin
19-08-2010, 17:23
When I first started I used un-painted models. Now that my armies are 90% plus painted I wont field a unit unless it's painted.

I think this is common among many players. I notice that once their army is mostly painted they no longer like to field unpainted models.

Seabo
19-08-2010, 17:27
Painting is not exactly my favorite part of the hobby :p. Eventually I will finish them though.

vinush
19-08-2010, 17:37
It takes me a while to find time to paint stuff, as I have a full time job that requires a lot of work out of work hours, but I do eventually get them painted. I've now got 90% of my 5k Empire army painted, 95% of my 2k VC army and about 60% of my 2.5K HE army.

40k is an entirely different matter. I would say I have 98% of my 2.5k IG painted, about 95% of my 2k SM painted and 65% of my 2.5k Tau painted. My Eldar aren't even assembled for the most part.

THE \/ince

Tarian
19-08-2010, 17:43
I paint when I can, but I still like playing with them. That, and the painted ones roll better.

Khorney Joke
19-08-2010, 17:46
Lightly fried in butter with winter vegetables.

Seriously, I like to play with a fully painted army-my painting sucks, but at least it feels like I've put the effort into it.

wilsongrahams
19-08-2010, 17:49
Before they see a battlefield, models in my army have to be built, undercoated, painted, shaded and highlighted, base sanded and grassed and a coat of varnish.

No WIP models will see a battlefield in my army but I am happy to play against any fully assembled models whether painted or not.

This does mean it can be a while before I get to vary my unit selection because it takes so long to paint a unit to completion.

Vaiuri
19-08-2010, 19:46
I voted 'I paint as I go'.

If I had the time things wouldnt't get played with til it was painted - but I dont :( However, what I do paint is to a high standard, no dip-and-flicks in my armies!

Tymell
19-08-2010, 19:49
Kinda depends on the situation.

If it's a quick little test run of some sort with a friend, nothing more than assembled is necessary for me. If it's something like an ongoing campaign with core armies, I try to keep my painting going (though it can get hard to keep up :p)

Death Korp
19-08-2010, 19:55
Shaken, not stirred.

Justicar_Freezer
19-08-2010, 20:05
I voted "I don't really paint" It's just not a part of the hobby I enjoy.

For me the enjoyment outside of playing the game comes from assembleing my models and thinking up cool ways to convert my models or themes to convert my army too.

The reason I don't enjoy painting. I always feel I detract from the look of my models when I put paint to them and that to me just ruins it. So therefore I end up with what I think look to be quite nicely converted models that won't see paint because I don't want to muck them up.

So the way my models hit the table are fully assembled. In rare cases they will get an undercoat such as my Grey Knights have but that's about where the buck stops. I won't field unassembled models or just bare bases.

Tambarskjelve
19-08-2010, 20:14
I'm a slow painter, so I have some units, such as dark riders, which basically just have their faces and speartips painted. They are black after all :P

I prefer to play with models that at least have paint on them, so before a game I end up just slapping some faces and weapons on some models, while trying to field all my painted ones.

But this means that my dark riders will be pushed back in the queue, cause they have some paint on them and can get away with the mostly black look.

goodz
19-08-2010, 20:39
I played a kid who was like 10 in 40k several years ago. He had painted his whole space marines army entirly blood red. He actually did a surprisingly good job not missing spots. (if i was going to waste my time changing something from grey to red i would probably miss a lot of spots). Anyway i was going to say i would rather face a grey army then an army that is done poorly for the sake of completion. (i am not a great painter, not even really a good painter, but i like to think the effort counts!)

My chaos army is 95% painted, i think i have 10 warriors who are half painted. I ran out of paint for them and cant be botherd. I can't be botherd to equip them for what i am using so some have 2 hand weapons, some have handweapon shield, and some have halberd shield. I generally just make the front rank correct. (it would cost so much money to have all the options, so that was my devious plan)

My wood elves are 10% painted. They will likley take a year to finish and i will play with them socially until then. Whenever i go to gamesworkshop I bring my chaos because i feel lame if i have a grey army.

Leogun_91
19-08-2010, 20:48
1) Not sleepy
2) With their weapons
3) With their battle orders:wtf: My goblins never fullfill all three.

dragonet111
19-08-2010, 21:52
I'm not a very good painter and I always feel like I'm going to ruin a nice mini so at present my armies are not painted.

But now that my daemon army is done (at least for now:D) I'm going to paint it, question is when.....

Toshiro
19-08-2010, 21:57
I prefer to play with my armies fully painted wysiwyg, gives a better feel to the battle in my opinion. :)

Lorcryst
19-08-2010, 22:00
I'm a slow painter, so some of my units are in various stages of progress, but I like to play with painted armies ... so much better on the table.

Loopstah
19-08-2010, 22:09
As long as they are on a base and mostly intact that's good enough for me. I don't paint very fast or have much time to do it in so if I waited till they were painted I would never get to play.

Desert Rain
19-08-2010, 22:19
I used to play with unpainted (or badly painted) miniatures, but now that I have almost a legal 8th edition 2000 points army nicely painted I'm not going to field unpainted units any more.

Rich 123
19-08-2010, 22:21
It's exactly why I like playing at the bottom of the league tables at social tournaments! That way all of the people at the bottom, in my experience, tend to be those who spend more time painting and converting that honing their battle skills and you end up playing lovely armies.

When I do play I find it so much more satisfuying when both armies look great on the table top, especially if the look of both forces contrast strongly in theme or colour.

However, that is an ideal world that ins't a regular occurance and I happilly settle for models that show their owner has put effort in. It's the effort thtta I respect more than anything... that they have bothered.

It's interesting to see such a cross spectrum of opinion. I would have expected it to be slightly less broadly spaced.

Dicky

Talos
19-08-2010, 22:22
I try and only play with painted models. But sometimes I will play a undercoated model or a WIP if I really want to try it out.
The problem with this is the armies I play which are Skaven in WFB and Orks in W40k. It does take a while to paint up a new unit. Due to this I have a large selection of HQs as they are fun and quick to paint but not much selection in different large units. This is why I like infinity or malifaux as I only need to paint one or two models to change my whole playstyle or try something new.

Utred
19-08-2010, 23:17
I have to say I voted "you can paint these things?" Why? Pretty much the same reasons as Justicar; I convert nearly every model which I love. Painting I just get bored, paint dries and I blob it on destroying the detail I spent hours of work creating with green stuff. I do undercoat them - generally white. (college job working in a body shop taught me to spray paint)

I will say with the washes, I have actually started to paint just with those. No they don't look great, but I don't blob paint everywhere and ruin a miniature I've spent over 20 hours working on.

But I do have to agree with this:

When I do play I find it so much more satisfuying when both armies look great on the table top, especially if the look of both forces contrast strongly in theme or colour.

Just a shame if I play with a painted army it isn't mine.... =P

Lord of Divine Slaughter
19-08-2010, 23:23
I've been working on 4 armies over the past 2 years trying to find the one with the greatest playstyle. They're all slowly coming together, and slowly it becomes much more rewarding to field them :)

And painted armies fight better :)

WarmbloodedLizard
19-08-2010, 23:46
Painting is not exactly my favorite part of the hobby :p. Eventually I will finish them though.

for me, too :D I have about 1/3 painted (of 4500), and expect them to be painted in 3-4 years ^^ (my second army I don't expect to get painted^^)

Cragum
20-08-2010, 00:43
I like my models 'Medium Rare'! :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Nah i dont mind how they are done ive only recently started getting full units painted. but we are more about battling when we are in a group of gamers. its more that we turn up to game and go oooooh that ones been painted it looks well good.

jesusjohn
20-08-2010, 00:58
Painted. I wont put somthing on the table until it's painted. Basing i can let slide, but if i want a unit i paint it. It just looks better that way.

Duke Georgal
20-08-2010, 01:16
If your army is not painted it will never be welcome at my house.

That isn't mean, the game is an experience, and unpainted armies take away from that.

Blinder
20-08-2010, 02:14
A big part of the fun is all the color of the armies squaring off (or gritty detail, depending on the system/army), but at the same time I don't want to wait 6 months to use whatever cool new thing I just got (since sometimes that's just how long it takes to get around to fully painting something) and I'm not going to make someone else keep their stuff put away for that long either... "continual progress" is all I really look for, and I don't think everyone needs to be running around with prize-winning paintjobs (I know I certainly wouldn't be)... I can understand the "I don't like painting" argument, and I won't turn a game down if the person doesn't paint anything (since if I'm there to play, I'm there to play), but it's a lot less fun even compared to someone with just a couple models with a basecoat and a couple details that they're working on in an otherwise gray/shiny army.

Macavity
20-08-2010, 02:31
I will field anything that's a different colour than it was in the box/blister, but my painting habits lead to crazy things like one unit painted minus hair, Another, newer one finished, and a character running around in just armour and skin foundation while I decide how I want him done.

w3rm
20-08-2010, 02:45
Fully assembled and atleast a couple units painted with 3 colors.

Kadris
20-08-2010, 02:50
assembled and primed minimum. Then painted one "block" at a time until complete.

starlight
20-08-2010, 02:51
It's always amazing (and a lot sad) to hear people ranting on about insisting that others conform to their ideal of hobby enjoyment. :(

DaemonReign
20-08-2010, 02:54
I adhere to the principle that if it ain't got a qualitative Finnish it's got no business on the table-top. Never have I fielded something that wasn't painted.

I would very much like to enforce the same Rule on the friends I play with, though alas this would mean that I would virtually only ever play against one of them.

It just looks and feels so much better.

Kevlar
20-08-2010, 03:01
When I first started of course I played with unpainted models, empty bases, and lots of proxy.

15 years and a few armies later it is rare that I run with an unpainted model. Many of them have been painted, stripped, and repainted.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
20-08-2010, 04:37
I started off trying to paint all units right after assembly, but after purchasing the brigade, I slacked off, turning it to "I paint what I feel like, starting with characters, monsters, and monstrous infantry, while ending in chariots and artillery".

papabearshane
20-08-2010, 04:52
'I do paint stuff just, over time and I'll game with them till then' Work, Kids Wife, Life all like to make sure my hobby time is short and sweet.........That and 10k worth of Green Skins will keep me from fielding a fully painted Army for at least awhile more..............

Zaustus
20-08-2010, 04:54
Yup, I'm with the majority here. I'll get around to painting everything eventually, but I have no qualms about playing with them before they're painted. I prefer the models to be fully assembled, but I've broken that proscription myself, and my opponents do so regularly.

wizbix
20-08-2010, 06:51
It's always amazing (and a lot sad) to hear people ranting on about insisting that others conform to their ideal of hobby enjoyment. :(

I missed the bit about people insisting anything (no offence intended :) )

I know some people said that they wouldnt want to play any one with out painted models, thats fair enough for them.

Those that dont feel that way, well thats fair enough for them too.

Personaly i'd prefer them painted but I do take in to consideration the time it takes and how new a person is to the army they are using.

Urgat
20-08-2010, 08:09

I voted that I do paint stuff over time, but I try to field everything painted. And yeah, like it or not, I want the opponent to do the same, because I enjoy Warhammer for the fact that I can get cool looking armies to battle each other. That's the reason I play warhammer, and I won't allow anybody to question that >>
That being said I mostly play against half painted armies anyway, that's why I don't play so often in the first place.

Old School
20-08-2010, 08:14
I'm a snob! I want both mine and my opponents painted. To a decent enough standard that we could make a game report with pictures.

I hate seeing masses of undercoated models on the board. Only good if you're playing a VC army full of Spirit Hosts.

;)

Lordsaradain
20-08-2010, 09:24
I always try to have everything painted when I play. Sometimes I use a few unpainted models, but the majority of is always painted. Playing with painted models is just alot more fun.

New_guy
20-08-2010, 09:48
I cant play until my models are painted. I just dont like when there are unpainted models on the gaming table.

shadow hunter
20-08-2010, 10:00
I like the models (mine and opponents) to at least be fully assembled. I do try to paint everything, but due to a busy life Its rare I field a fully painted army.

Another factor of that is I have far too much stuff, and can never just concentrate on one army/unit/game system at a time.

Demrog
20-08-2010, 10:01
I generally play assembled and primed models as a minimum, but like to paint as and when I get time. none of my opponents mind this so it's not a problem.

Lord of the End Times
20-08-2010, 11:54
Painted and based or nothing for me. I just find playing with black models or grey plastic rather unsatisfying. I don't see the point in half-arsed 3 colour painting either, if you're going to do it you might as well do it properly (although nobody has the time to make every model golden demon standard). Just my opinion though.

Edahlo
20-08-2010, 14:00
Been collecting since I was a kid, but I've never ever played a single game. Why? I want a fully painted army before I take it to the battlefield. Hopefully, with this years ToFP, I'll be able to finish a playable Lizardmen army. :)

If only my motivation to paint was as excessive as my urge to buy the models. :D

Spike Fiend
20-08-2010, 14:36
I game with fully assembled and well painted models, and I expect my opponent to do the same. I hate 'ugly' games!

superawesomeraptorman
20-08-2010, 15:44
I come from a small gaming group with regular people coming over several years. I don't refuse to play people who have had the same, poorly base coated models for years or refuse to play people proxying stuff to test new units and combinations (certainly with new 8th edition). I myself often use proxy to test out new things. But I aim to paint to a relatively high standard (washes, blending, highlights, themed bases, conversions) and theres no doubt in my mind that I'd seek to play the same person every week if they had a similar approach to the hobby (there was one high elf player who did, amazing painted army - I always wanted to play him :) ). Basically I cope in the environment I'm in, but not exactly thrilled by the way some people approach the hobby - its their way, and they're entitled to it, but I really wish I had more people who loved having painted armies in my gaming group :(

Waagghh_Logan
22-08-2010, 09:16
i am a slow painter but i just can't get into the game when im using half painted models.

So i take my time but paint them well, it definitly worth it when you come to play your first game with them

Gorak
22-08-2010, 10:03
I voted paint as I fo, though I never field grey armies, always at least primed, Sad though when you finisg a unit/character and your oppent is so jelous of it's good looks it tends to die first......

xxRavenxx
22-08-2010, 10:17
I refuse to play games with unpainted figures. *UNLESS* I've just started an army. Wherein I'll try and get it fixed up as quick as possible while playing "calibration" games and picking how to expand.

What my opponent does is up to them, but I allways prefer to play vs. nicely painted things.

Avian
22-08-2010, 10:28
Lately I've become more systematic and stick to painting one unit at a time, rather than paint a little on one unit, then a little on another unit, then back to the first or to a third unit, and so on.

I'll play with the unit I'm working on before it's completely finished, but there will only ever be one unfinished unit on the table at any one time.

Aluinn
22-08-2010, 10:33
I love fielding a fully painted army, but I switch armies a lot (I like too many of them) and so I don't always have that; being a slow painter doesn't help. I'm not an amazing painter but I try to hold myself to a high standard, which means frequently re-doing things and generally glacial progress. So, I always fully assemble and undercoat all my models before playing with them, and aim for a fully painted army, but if someone wants to play more points than I have finished at the time, I am willing to use unpainted minis. I like the game for the rules and tactics side as well as the modeling and painting side, so 100% painted armies are not an absolute requirement for me to enjoy a game.

vinush
22-08-2010, 10:49
You need to take into account "Shiney new model syndrome". I will always field a new model/unit unpainted twice, primed twice and then fully painted before their true effectiveness shows.

For those not in the know, SNMS is when a new model or unit does abysmally, or dies horrifically, or explodes in game when you first use it. Unfortunately, when you prime it and then paint it SNMS resets on them.

THE \/ince

Murdoch
22-08-2010, 11:42
it is rare for me to not field fully painted models.

Which is why my Eldar are still in their case without being fielded and my ogres areonly at half strength...

Haravikk
22-08-2010, 18:33
I'll happily play with my army unpainted, though usually in friendly matches with my friends over or playing against my brother, I don't really like to take unpainted models into my local store (I have to have at least some credibility next to the awesome store models!)

I usually hate myself when I do get round to painting though as I attach everything which means lots of awkward shields, back-packs etc. to paint around!

theunwantedbeing
22-08-2010, 18:46
I prefer playing with and against fully painted armies, simply as it's so much easier to tell what is what. Even better if its Wysiwyg as well.

But I'll play against almost anything, barring really broken armies made up of almost nothing fully assembled.

My own army is a bit of a mess to be honest, lots of things that need fixing but that requires me to find the required effort to get it all fixed and I just can't be bothered most of the time. It's still 90% fully painted.
I'de rather start from scratch than repair everything and re-paint things but haven't the funds available for it yet.

MasterSparks
22-08-2010, 18:50
I'm really rather lax when it comes my own and others' presence in the painting & modelling side of the hobby. I'll game with and against whatever, as long as it can be readily identified to avoid confusion. :)

Edit: I do paint a bit every now and then though, so my armies will reach a stage of completeness at one point or another...

Chaos Undecided
22-08-2010, 18:54
Currently I'm trying to paint a force before fielding it as I have far too many unpainted models lying around as it is, very slow going though. As for the quality of paint jobs I'd have to say "gaming" standard for all but the centre piece and character models is my usual target I find gaming tends to be quite harsh on paint jobs especially for the masses who'll get thrown around in piles.

LordoftheBrassThrone
17-10-2010, 12:59
when i was young my parents told me i wasnt allowed any more until i had the last lot painted. that was years ago, but i still stick to that as much as i can. for example even when i start a new army i dont play them until i have 500points painted.

Lord_Elric
17-10-2010, 13:14
im a bit anal when it comes to my armys I only batch paint models up to base colour after that I paint each one to the best I can almost as though each is a character model on its own and everyone of my characters has to have some form of sculpting or conversion work on then

Colonel_kex
17-10-2010, 13:52
I would really like for all my armies to be fully painted but as soon as i start painting a unit or model i start to fiddle with something else and it gets forgotten.. only my deathkorps are anywhere near painted at the moment.. one out of 6 armies.. way to go...

Colonel_kex
17-10-2010, 13:53
when i was young my parents told me i wasnt allowed any more until i had the last lot painted. that was years ago, but i still stick to that as much as i can. for example even when i start a new army i dont play them until i have 500points painted.

I think my wallet would love me if i could do that....

Toshiro
17-10-2010, 13:55
I chose 'I do paint stuff just, over time and I'll game with them till then' but I'd like to move the comma:

I do paint stuff, just over time and I'll game with them till then

I love using a painted army, but equally I want it to look nice so I generally use unpainted toys to begin with, but eventually a nice painted army

What chilledenuff said

tinytom113
17-10-2010, 14:52
i don't play games with or agaist gray plastic if you can't be bothered to paint your minis i can't be bothered to play.
Don't think i'm all stuffy though i don't mind substitutes weather that be paper representing a unit a ciggerete packet for a connon oe indeed using the "wrong models" to represent a unit you plan to get but want to see if there any good first

i terms of paint standard if you better than me no questions asked, otherwise if you look proud of your stuff and they look well looked after i'll give you a game. i once turned down a game vs WoC because they were painted like ****. in favor of a young lad with a basic pianted but finished 1500 point empire army.

theorox
17-10-2010, 14:56
I voted "I don't really paint." :D Obviously i will, but i have a pretty tiring disease so it won't happen for a bit. I have no restrictions or demands about painting.

Theo

tinytom113
17-10-2010, 14:59
im a bit anal when it comes to my armys I only batch paint models up to base colour after that I paint each one to the best I can almost as though each is a character model on its own

i mass paint a whole unit as wants after base painting the frames and bases, then i put legs on bases and paint say 30 -40 legs, (depends on unit sizes,) on bases and paint them , then glue on the torsos paint, then arms legs ect. i do one colour at a time through the whole unit at every stage from the front so by the time i get to the back the ones at the front are dry and ready for another aplication.

acctually i usually paint arms and heads on the frame the tidy them up once they have been cut out

I'm also well known for painting 2 - 3 units at one time!!! Any one else paint like this?

oldschoolmonk
17-10-2010, 16:32
I can't bring myself to half paint a unit, I think it looks worse than starting. My only exception to this is Chaos units need some indication on their god, even a blue flag or red flag so I don't make assumptions. I have two unpainted armies, my dark elves Im working on and my Empire will start after that, at least a year.

I always play with based and assembled models. When we Proxy it has to be a WYSIWYG representative, so maybe using flaggelents as chaos marauders with GW/Flails. Units get painted one at a time until the army is complete, so I'll do 5 shades in a day, or a unit of Blackguard over the week(s). Once a model is painted it's never used to proxy, that just gets extra confusing (and we have a few thousand minis unpainted, collectively).

Jind_Singh
17-10-2010, 17:35
FULLY assembled and on a base is minimum requirement (I hate it when people turn up with models that are just armless or headless or whatever)
Sand on the base with black primer on the entire model is next
Foundation painted models is next target
Actually painted units after that - but I'm happy if there's at least some colour on all the models

Give this man a prize, saved me from typing out what I do with my models!!

With my new 40K army (Ultramarines) I just built them (500pts), based them with sand, and will prime them black - then they are ready to play with.

Next is to spray them all blue with the gun

Next would be to add basic details (foundation colors)

Next would be (this stage I seldom reach) to paint details with hightlights/drybrush/washes

ftayl5
18-10-2010, 04:13
Painted is nice, battles obviously look better when one third of your armies grey, one bright silver and the other black. I don't really mind though, I'm a slowish painter so for the first few months I own an army it will vary across the board from undercoated to half to fully painted.

Assembled is a must.
I haven't based most of my models so I don't have a problem with that.

enyoss
18-10-2010, 04:52
I chose the last option. I have tried over and over to get into painting, but it really is like pulling teeth for me. When I found myself working late as an excuse not to paint I decided to call it a day once and for all :(.

That said, I prefer to play with and against armies that are at least undercoated as it is easier to see what is what. Overall though, if it's assembled I'll give you a game.

Joewrightgm
18-10-2010, 05:14
I like my models just fine :)

I have a rule that helps me paint: if its not painted, it doesn't go on the table. This helps me keep my pace up as well as my interest, and I always get compliments from my opponents.

I don't require my opponent's army to be painted, but like anyone else, I think two painted armies increases the visual appeal of the game.

my .02

Born Again
18-10-2010, 06:08
Nothing of mine touches a table until it is fully painted, based and varnished. I'll play against people with unpainted models but if they make it an ongoing thing (ie; six months later the same model still hasn't been undercoated) I'll avoid playing them where possible and, if I have to play them, I figure I'm winning on "bonus points".

stonegiant
18-10-2010, 06:35
I can't really understand the mindset that is happy to spend $$$$. on massive expensive armies and then isn't interested in at least making some attempt at painting them. In my group, some guys have spent serious (silly) money in Forgeworld and GW but haven't even fully assembled or undercoated the models.

Sure, it's tough sometimes getting motivated to finish off the 33rd Night Goblin or Clan Rat, but I think when you look at what draws you to the hobby (the enticing box pictures and battle scenes in White Dwarf Catalogue etc) then surely some effort at painting is required.

Scythe
18-10-2010, 14:45
Assembled. The vast majority of the units I field in an army are painted, possibly 1-2 units only assembled or undercoated max. Exception tends to be new armies just started, were grey plastic is a little more common.

loveless
18-10-2010, 14:49
I get things done over time. I'm really trying to force myself into painting before I pick up anything new now (unless it's a decent deal...last thing I got was one of the newer Landspeeder kits for under $20...)

I'll game with what I have - typically only if it's assembled. Models are often headless, though, as I tend to paint the heads seperately. Same deal with backpacks. Weapons are typically on unfinished models, however.

sssk
18-10-2010, 15:08
I tend to paint stuff when the urge takes me, though I've recently seen the light and joined the tale of fantasy painters in the painting forum here, which does help to get stuff done.

I'm happy to play with/against unpainted stuff (and stand in models etc if some one wants to test out a unit before buying it), but I have to say there's nothing more satisfying in this game, than setting up an army you've spent (literally) tens or hundreds of hours painting, to battle against an army that someone else has spent (literally) tens or hundreds of hours painting.

I did have a plan for my gaming group back home, where we'd play an escalation tournament over the summer, where every month you add 500 points (starting at 500, ending at 2500-3000), but you could only use painted minatures (obviously we all had a fair amount of painted stuff to start with, not suicidally trying to paint 2500 points in 5 months). That would make sure all of the units that people regularly use would be painted. Of course the plan fell apart within a week or so...but it was a good plan while it lasted (gets you used to playing lots of different points levels, in tournament style, with painted armies).

Now, where did I put those 150, grey, skull pass goblins?....

sigur
18-10-2010, 15:23
I do paint all my armies but by now, I got a quite big backlog of armies I should repaint so no new minis for me at the moment. ;) Got no problem with playing with unpainted units as well until I got everything painted though. My painted ones just perform so much better and manage to become memorable in what they do. Somehow, units don't do that when unpainted.

If one doesn't have the time and inclination to paint his miniatures, there's always the possibility of hiring a professional to do the work for you. (see my signature for further details :cheese: )

tbdehart
18-10-2010, 16:17
I'm with the majority on this one. Paint as you go. But someday I do want to have a fully painted army.

Brady
18-10-2010, 22:58
Medium rare :p

To be honest I prefer to get as much as my stuff painted as possible but am happy to field them however they are becuase I know that at some point they will look purple enough, I dont mind what my opponent uses as long as they have made an effort, as opposed to not assembling/spraying becuase they cant be bothered :(

DivineVisitor
19-10-2010, 00:04
The intention is always there but i vary rarely find the time. Currently working on both my 5k Empire and 3k Space Wolves however i enjoy using them and hope to field a fully painted force eventually.

AMWOOD co
19-10-2010, 05:20
Painting's not my thing. I have painted some units in the past, but haven't done so in several years. The most recent model I painted was Galrauch, and that was... 4 years ago? Maybe more?

Assembling? Yes. Painting? Leave me alone.

theorox
19-10-2010, 19:11
If your army is not painted it will never be welcome at my house.

That isn't mean, the game is an experience, and unpainted armies take away from that.

If you're not open-minded about this kind of stuff you will never be welcome at my house.

That isn't mean, the game is an experience, and not getting to play take away from that.

See what i did there? ;)

Theo

brynolf
19-10-2010, 19:21
I'm working on getting all my models painted, but I don't resuse to use unpainted ones.

Rolf
19-10-2010, 19:28
How I want them, and the state there in are two diffrent things. I would like them all painted. Reality is I get bored half way through so it remains half painted till I get back too it

Bloodknight
19-10-2010, 19:33
Assembling? Yes. Painting? Leave me alone.

Funny. It's the other way round with me. I hate assembling models, I like painting and playing. That's why I prefer metal infantry models - most of them are "stick them on a base and off you go".

spiderman5z
20-10-2010, 04:46
What is this "pa-int" you speak of?

Shizzbam
20-10-2010, 16:26
I'm actually looking to buy a second hand painted army simply because I refuse to field unpainted models and want something to play with till then. I'm quite a slow painter. A unit of twenty will take me about two weeks to complete.

That said, I don't care if my opponent's army is painted or not. If its painted everything looks nice and makes for a better looking battle. If its partly/unpainted I get to feel superior :p Although that situation doesn't happen often, as the chaps in my gaming group have all been playing for years and so have had plenty of time to get their respective armies painted bar the odd new addition.

Max_Killfactor
20-10-2010, 17:27
I'm nothing special when it comes to painting, but I try my best to get my army fully painted (my dark elves, dark eldar, and dwarfs are) and greatly prefer to play against other painted armies... even if it's just base colors. To me, it adds a lot to the overall enjoyment of the game.

ColShaw
20-10-2010, 17:55
When I first started playing, because I wanted to play, I played with unpainted models, or ones I knew to be poorly painted.

Now that I've been in the hobby for a (long) while, I wait until things are painted before they hit the table.

frapermax
20-10-2010, 19:24
I bought a couple of painted units from ebay. They had the same colour scheme. Then I bought my own extra units and painted them to the same scheme. Now I'm redoing the models I first bought, because I got better over time. Now I'm looking to improve my speed, especially for the rank and file units.
I always field my pet units, which are the ones I painted myself, regardless of their effectiveness on the field.
I feel that once you get about halfway, it gets easier to finish the rest of the army. I tend to love painting the second half of an army, because the progress seems more apparent. Trick is to start with the blocks. They will generate the enthusiasm needed to finish the elite and characters. They get the best paintjob that way.
I have a hard time fielding unpainted units, but it happens sometimes. Day after the battle, I start painting those.
And it is true: painted models fight way better.
fpm

red_zebra_ve
20-10-2010, 20:33
For more than 15 years, I played with "dark gray elves", "dark gray Eldars", "gray Orks" with just the Gorka Morka band fully painted.
I was going to paint my first 2 units of Dark Elves, Sword Warriors and City Guards, when the 2nd army book removed them :eek: and that book was so bad that my DE went to hibernation.
Hobby time went to Man O' War, Blood Bowl, Necromunda, 1/300 WW1 airplanes, or other games.

Then I got fed up, and I refuse to use a non painted unit, so I have been painting some of my KOS Orks, and last year (before 8th) I started painting my Dark Elves. Too bad I am really a slow painter, I need a couple of months to paint 20 soldiers...

jthdotcom
20-10-2010, 22:03
I don't really enjoy painting, and I am not very good at it, but I love to play the game, so thats what I do

Tae
20-10-2010, 22:31
I dread to think what my armies would look like if they hadn't invented the wonder that are washes.

Seriously, my Slaanesh DoC is sprayed white, hair pink, purple wash all over. Done. My WoC Slaanesh is sprayed black, purple armour, grey cloak, purple wash. Done.

Even my 40k DoC army is washed (though it's horrors, so white spray plus wash!).

The only 'proper' painted army is my Iron Hands, who are mainly black! :D

Lysander The Great
21-10-2010, 08:53
I prefer to have my whole army painted before using them in a game. When I get new figures I have to assemble them, do the prep work and base coat them ready for painting all in the same day....then just paint them when I get the chance. :)

Out of curiosity do you paint your figures in bulk or do you base coat them and then paint individual figures??

Scythe
21-10-2010, 09:08
Out of curiosity do you paint your figures in bulk or do you base coat them and then paint individual figures??

In bulk. For infantry, I usually paint 15-20 models at the same time, in batches of 5. Each batch is at a different state of completion, so I generally paint 1-2 layers paint to a batch, set them aside until the next day, and move to the next batch. That way, every day or two, 5 models are finished, creating a constant output, which gives me the illusion of solid progress through my units. ;)

Lorcryst
21-10-2010, 12:15

Well, for my rank and file Night Goblins, I painted them in batches of 20~30, my Squig Hoppers were painted in groups of 4~5, and my characters were painted one at a time ... really, it depends on the numbers of the models left to paint for the army.