PDA

View Full Version : Dark to High?

CommissarSean
21-08-2010, 13:59
Right.
I have not played warhammer in a couple of years now and i am getting a bit interested again with the new rules. My problem is i dont know which are to do, Dark Elves or High Elves.

Now i was just wanting some peoples thoughts on each army, i have read though the books but i dont know much about the new rules so i dont know which will be the best to play :)

Thanks for the help
Commissar

NixonAsADaemonPrince
21-08-2010, 14:04
Your poll isn't working at the moment, it just says it is closed.

I would go Dark Elves though, more competitive and more diverse.

Nixon

CommissarSean
21-08-2010, 14:09
Damn poll, cant get it to work lol. Hmmm thats what i was thinking but i LOVE magic and dark elves only have the ability to take 4 of the new lores, does it matter, what is fire, metal, death and shadow like\/

NixonAsADaemonPrince
21-08-2010, 14:12
They are only some of the most fun and competitive magic lores around. And you have dark magic, which is always fun itself.

HE are good with their ASF gimmick though. What it really comes down to is which army you like the look of most (though they are similiar).

Nixon

eyescrossed
21-08-2010, 14:30
I think Dark Elves have more character and cooler models (Cold One Knights and Corsairs, anyone?).

Slashattack
21-08-2010, 14:35
Well if you like magic than instantly you would presume that high elves would be the better choice with their good selection of lores, the book of hoeth and Teclis.

However the dark elves offer just as much competitiveness in the magic phase due to two things. Power of darkness and the sacrificial dagger. These both allow the dark elf player to re-stock their power dice pool while other races would not be able to. Dark elves will overcome most magical defenses with this. We may not have as many lores available to high elves as we do but ours are all still very good, especially dark magic with the two excellent spells soul stealer and black horror. Also with high elves we've all seen the magic list with Teclis, while dark elf magic lists are rarer.

In terms of the rest of the armies. The dark elves have a bit more variety as we can do both combat and shooting based lists, where high elves do not have a shooting phase as strong as the dark elves. Admittedly their combat phase if very good, but ASF is a gimmick that can be overcome by removing their elite combat troops from afar or with impact hits. Dark Elves have cheaper elite infantry so therefore can afford to take more bodies to eat up the casualties which the high elves can not.

Plus everyone with the release of the island of blood will be playing high elves, so dark elves would be a more unique option.

cybercaine
21-08-2010, 16:11
It does currently say your poll is closed. I think perhaps HE might be the easiest choice as by buying Island of Blood you get access to a bunch of HE models and if done in conjunction with a friend, you can swap the skaven. I'd also like to point out that in October a bunch of HE models are slated for a rerelease.

Freakiq
21-08-2010, 17:54
I'd say Dark Elves easily.

There's going to be way too many High Elf players out there when Island of Blood is released.

Dark elves have more character and cooler models too.

SilasOfTheLambs
21-08-2010, 17:56
I think perhaps HE might be the easiest choice as by buying Island of Blood you get access to a bunch of HE models and if done in conjunction with a friend, you can swap the skaven. I'd also like to point out that in October a bunch of HE models are slated for a rerelease.

This.

You could also consider that high elves lock you into a much more specific play style, where dark elves are a lot more diverse in what they can do. I think both armies are great choices, as neither is going to be horridly overpowering under the new ruleset. I believe dark elves are probably a bit more powerful though, if that factors into your reasoning.

sulla
21-08-2010, 22:32
There's not a lot dark elves do that HE don't do as well or better nowadays. But at least the DE do it while looking better. Having said that, the difference between the two is not too great and neither side is going to be quite as good at combat now due to enemy casualties coming from the back.

I'd go with whichever models/fluff you prefer.