PDA

View Full Version : Are Necron Gauss weapons Star Trek Phasers?

Mortarion74
24-08-2010, 20:24
just a thought, while i was building my space slann with blue transparent plastic tubes like the necron gauss weapons I was pondering what they could be to fit into 40k rules. They look quite gauss, but that made me wonder what exactly a gauss weapon was.

Looking up Phaser on the net I found that in many ways a phaser does what a gauss gun can do. a constant stream of energy ripping into the target, rather than a shot of las fire. Phasers, or their origional design do the same thing.

Phaser - from PHase mASER directs energt through a christal or some such to do quite alot of harm. I could go on but I aint a scientist, or indeed a master of sci-fi backplot.

So would a gauss weapon be a phaser and would my slan armed with blue gauss like weapons make good use of gauss rules in their rules?

Col. Tartleton
24-08-2010, 20:27
Guass guns convert matter back into energy. They're like vaccums. They pull you apart at the atomic level and beam you into the gun. Its not shooting anything. The green light I think is the victim...

Latro_
24-08-2010, 20:56
'Gauss Flayers are the most basic Necron weaponry. They are described in the codex as "asynchronous linear induction motors" and, when fired, project a beam of green energy towards their target. This beam is calibrated towards disrupting the molecular bonds of a target. As each 'layer' is exposed, it is broken apart and stripped away, accounting for the 'flayer' name of this weapon. Other Gauss weapons use exactly the same method of destruction, however due to their higher strengths the process is much more rapid.[1]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrons#Necron_Forces_.26_Weaponry

So kinda disrupts their molcules instead of flat turning em into mush like star trek. I imagine it as something like this:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/500cheeseball.jpg

but with a big hole

Freak Ona Leash
24-08-2010, 21:02
Since I know nothing of science, are Gauss weapons similar to melta weapons on the scale of "science that works?" I mean, do Gauss Weapons shoot bad science or is there something to them beyond "asynchronous linear handwavium motors?"

Dread Lime
24-08-2010, 21:12
As I understand it, gauss weapons work on the same basic idea as Star Trek's transporters, in that they take objects apart at an atomic level and store them in a buffer.... except that the Necrons don't care so much about moving things about or even whether they ever get put back together again.

Mortarion74
25-08-2010, 00:17
I think dread lime has it, so the gauss weapon is not a star trek phaser, its a star trek teleporter! well I had the right show at any rate.

As for my slann guns I am still stumped. I used lego transparent tubes to give a blue gauss weapon. So I could just have them as gauss.

havoc626
25-08-2010, 00:53
Which can also explain the reason for Necrons mastery of teleporting into battle (in fluff terms at least).

Mortarion74
25-08-2010, 13:40
I never found necros so good in teleporting the lord can have the chain skill, but the monoliths basically act like webway gates so in general they are as good as space marines or eldar at teleports.

DisasterMaster
25-08-2010, 20:58
I never found necros so good in teleporting the lord can have the chain skill, but the monoliths basically act like webway gates so in general they are as good as space marines or eldar at teleports.

Except their entire army is able to teleport away when beaten in battle, even the destroyed remains. Phase out sucks rule wise, but is impressive fluff.

Gerwulf
25-08-2010, 22:16
In my opinion the gauss weapons are named falsely.
In our times, a gauss weapon is a weapon that accelerates a metal projectile by means of magnets.
Before I came to Warhammer, I was playing Battletech. And hearing the Necrons are using gauss weapons I always imagined they are using accelerated projectiles, which they clearly don't.

Born Again
26-08-2010, 07:11
Since I know nothing of science, are Gauss weapons similar to melta weapons on the scale of "science that works?" I mean, do Gauss Weapons shoot bad science or is there something to them beyond "asynchronous linear handwavium motors?"

Actually, it turns out the melta gun may not fit in to that category. As was discussed here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267514&highlight=great+grandaddy+melta+gun), we basically have a very weak version now. Crank that up to 11 and go hunting Rhinos.

paulymath
27-08-2010, 10:55
So kinda disrupts their molcules instead of flat turning em into mush like star trek. I imagine it as something like this:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/500cheeseball.jpg

but with a big hole

LOL. Man that looks nasty. Looks like something I would make with my manly cooking skillz.