PDA

View Full Version : Using a larger-than-normal model

Balerion
26-08-2010, 21:15
We all know how crappy GW's antiquated Wight Kings are, and most of the common alternatives (eg. Reaper) aren't much better imo. I have a converted Warrior Priest that I turned into a Wight King, and although he looks good he doesn't rank up well at all.

So, after years of searching for a decent Wight King model, I've finally found something awesome to use. The problem is he's sculpted in 32mm scale, and is too large to comfortably occupy a 20mm base.

He would fit perfectly on a 25mm base, but I don't want to do anything that will interfere with gameplay.

I've been considering my options, and there seems to be three of them. I could mount him on a 40mm base or on a 20mm x 40mm regiment base, and count the extra space he takes up as rank-and-file models in his unit. He will always be joined to a unit (barring extremely unlucky rolls in a mission that uses reserves or spread deployment).

Those are perhaps less elegant solutions than the third option, however, which would be to just mount him on a cavalry base, buy him a mount, and use him as a counts-as mounted Wight King. I would have to equip him with the mount, though, which is not something I am accustomed to doing (since he usually rolls around with Skeletons, Wights, or Ghouls and stays on foot).

The people I play with will accommodate me no matter what I do, but I was wondering if most people would feel comfortable with playing both options, only the mounted version, or neither.

SiNNiX
26-08-2010, 21:20
If he can fit on a 25mm base, and this won't prevent you from deploying him in a unit, I'd do that. Nobody should have a problem with that.

Balerion
26-08-2010, 21:35
Hmm, hadn't even seriously considered that.

It wouldn't be a great solution, though, since he wouldn't rank up any better with 20mm models than if he was on a cavalry base (and he'd also be technically illegal).

SiNNiX
26-08-2010, 21:37
Yeah, see I didn't notice that you were ranking him with 20mm models which should've been obvious. The way we play locally where I'm from is: You can never decrease a model's base size, but can always increase it as long as this doesn't add an extra space for purposes of calculating ranks. But I know not everyone uses that house rule.

Urgat
26-08-2010, 22:02
Mount him on a 20mm base, on top of a pillar or something? Btw, mind showing a link to that model?

kris.sherriff
26-08-2010, 22:10
If he is going in a unit, put him on a 40mm base and just remove 3 models from the unit when he join it.

Kris

Balerion
27-08-2010, 00:26
Mount him on a 20mm base, on top of a pillar or something? Btw, mind showing a link to that model?
Whoops. I thought I'd included a link in the first post, but I forgot to paste it in.

The model in question is the "Forgotten Warrior" (http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=193) by Enigma Miniatures.

Once you remove the horns from his helmet he fits right in with the appearance of Grave Guard (although the flesh of his arms is showing -- I suppose it wouldn't work for people who insist on bony Wights)

Build a scenic 40mm base with 3 other units on the outskirt. Then build him onto a 25mm base and make that base magnetized to the 40mm base. That way if you can deploy him in the unit, you have the 40mm base otherwise you can deploy him as the 25mm outside of the unit. solves both problems with 2 bases and magnets
That's an interesting idea, although the base would get cramped with 3 other models. I'd also have a tough time figuring out whether to use Skeletons, Ghouls, or GG.

SiNNiX
27-08-2010, 00:45
Whoops. I thought I'd included a link in the first post, but I forgot to paste it in.

The model in question is the "Forgotten Warrior" (http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=193) by Enigma Miniatures.

Once you remove the horns from his helmet he fits right in with the appearance of Grave Guard (although the flesh of his arms is showing -- I suppose it wouldn't work for people who insist on bony Wights)

That's an interesting idea, although the base would get cramped with 3 other models. I'd also have a tough time figuring out whether to use Skeletons, Ghouls, or GG.

That is a ridiculously awesome model!

Ealdwulf
27-08-2010, 00:52
That model is indeed awesome, I think the idea of putting him on something is a solid idea, maybe raising him up a bit if he won't fit on the base size you're wanting. Or if you're savvy with greenstuff maybe make him rising out of some swirling black smoke or such.

Balerion
27-08-2010, 01:15
The issue with that solution is that his cloak is at least an inch wide, so he'd need to be extremely high off the ground in order to avoid interfering with the rank and file. I'm going to brainstorm and see if I can think of some kind of feature to plunk him atop, though, since it would be the most streamlined (and legal) fix to the problem.

Mage
27-08-2010, 01:21
Why don't you put him on a larger base ala a rank filler, but make it like a mini diorama. Think the warmaster hero models with their retainers and things, but melded into a warhammer regiment.

Arkh
27-08-2010, 05:33
I trust if you are using that model then you are going to use the two other equally fantastic models for VC from Enigma.

Notably:
http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=275
http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=52

wizbix
27-08-2010, 06:41
It is an awsome model however it looks more 'chaos' than undead, though I suppose theres nothing stopping you fielding an undead chaos warrior as a wight king, err I think?

Balerion
27-08-2010, 06:47
I trust if you are using that model then you are going to use the two other equally fantastic models for VC from Enigma.

Notably:
http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=275
http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=52
:D

1 out of 2 ain't bad. I picked up a Dark Vlad, but my other VC selection was Driatram (http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=33). Also grabbed a Lox Jarg (http://enigmaminiatures.com/prestashop/product.php?id_product=271) for an Alter kin conversion.

Dark Vlad is disappointing large, though. His legs seem overly long (even for a realistically proportioned figure) but I think I'll chop out a section of his shins and shorten him a bit.

Haravikk
27-08-2010, 13:03
Hmm, I think a 40mm x 40mm base would be the coolest solution as it gives you lots of freedom for a nice scenic base or conversion, and fits perfectly into a 20mm x 20mm based unit. I wouldn't worry about putting rank and file on the same base though, just make it clear that in game terms the character occupies one corner of the base and the rest is where rank and file should be, then just throw the displaced models to the back.

As long you're clear in what you're doing with your opponent I don't see that there's really a problem, they just need to know that three skeletons at the back of a unit are just placeholders rather than truly occupying a rank and just make sure to remember this yourself as you don't want to be accused of cheating just because you saw a shiny model and decided to field it :D

Balerion
27-08-2010, 18:14
I believe I've settled on the 40mm base as well.

I did some testing last night, and unfortunately he's too wide for a cavalry base. The only reason he fits on a 25mm base is that he can be posed diagonally, which won't work on the rectangular cav base.

I might try cutting regiment base in two and then removing some of the middle so that it becomes a 20mm x 40mm base. That way he'd only need to displace one other model.

defunct
27-08-2010, 18:23
Wow, that's a very impressive figure.

It is an awsome model however it looks more 'chaos' than undead, though I suppose theres nothing stopping you fielding an undead chaos warrior as a wight king, err I think?

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem as Krell is also a former chaos champion, and his model has chaos iconography. ;)

Balerion
27-08-2010, 18:58
He's rather more subtle than your typical Warrior of Chaos, don't you think? A tasteful bouquet of dangling severed heads and some sharp shoulder accessories are his only concessions to the preferred WoC style guide of "spikes, skulls, chains, and more spikes".

I think the rotting robes, the scythe-inspired greatweapon, and the non-ornate helm (after the horns are removed) are more than enough to Undeadify him nicely.

Skywave
28-08-2010, 00:06
Maybe try to add some Grave Guard helmet wings to him, maybe the champ one, could look nice.

As for the base, 20mm x 40mm would be the easiest solution, but that still leave you with a 40mm frontage wich could affect gameplay, like more enemy could strike at him. Otherwise you could create a big rock on a 20mm base so he fit right, and make the models around him in a way to rank them properly. If they can still not rank, you could just use an empty base (add some skull and other small decorative element) to the more problematic side, that'll give you a proper base definition for gameplay.