PDA

View Full Version : New Daemon prince project: Erebus

Sons of Lorgar
27-08-2010, 09:36
So, I'm collecting a Word Bearer legion remnant and recently bought the new Daemon prince kit. Then I started thinking, who within the legion would have been likely elevated to Daemonhood aside from Lorgar. The most obvious answer was the first chaplain Erebus, so I went about trying to convert the daemon prince into looking as if he had once been THE Dark Apostle and here are some preliminary results, comments and tips on how to proceed is very wellcome:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00070.jpg
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00071.jpg
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00069.jpg

eyescrossed
27-08-2010, 09:57
I bought the new kit yesterday too.

I love yours! I don't know what you should add or anything, though...

paulymath
27-08-2010, 10:18
So, I'm collecting a Word Bearer legion remnant and recently bought the new Daemon prince kit. Then I started thinking, who within the legion would have been likely elevated to Daemonhood aside from Lorgar. The most obvious answer was the first chaplain Erebus, so I went about trying to convert the daemon prince into looking as if he had once been THE Dark Apostle and here are some preliminary results, comments and tips on how to proceed is very wellcome:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00070.jpg
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00071.jpg
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/Emp_Dragon/DSC00069.jpg

Dude, is he like flipping the bird? That's hardcore.

-Paul

Sons of Lorgar
27-08-2010, 10:30
I was thinking of adding a book of Lorgar in his left hand and possibly an inquisitor-scale bolter/bolt pistol on the waist, possibly with GS ornamentation.

totgeboren
27-08-2010, 10:37
Kinda funny, there is a thread over in the background (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273436) section were we are discussing why Erebus hasn't ascended into daemonhood.

Other than that, he looks promising. In the last pic it looks like he just flipped me off! :O

Though I think this belongs in the M, P&T section. Or you could start a project log in the project log part of the forum. :)

Boreal
27-08-2010, 10:47
Love it, the staff is in keeping with the charecter and he looks really menacing too.

One tip when using a flash for close up work try putting a piece of tissue paper over the flash so it diffuses the light that way you dont get white out. :)

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-08-2010, 11:16
The staff is awesome, as is the pose. He looks like he's orating or beckoning... or both. Very cool. How you gonna paint him? Have you thought about giving him a skull helm? It may be iconic of loyal Chaplains, but the irony of Word Bearers has always been their greatest draw (for me at least). How's his skin going to look? All covered in scrollwork like Reynolds' Apostles? I'm so full of questions, haha.

Also, can you tell me how this guy scales up compared to the old model?

jawsoftheworldwolf
27-08-2010, 11:29
Kinda funny, there is a thread over in the background (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273436) section were we are discussing why Erebus hasn't ascended into daemonhood.

In DARK APOSTLE he's been bunged into a Dreadnought -poor chap! He's quite clearly mad too :D

sprugly
27-08-2010, 11:29
what little i know of the first chaplain is only from the heresy books. But the one thing that really sticks in my mind is his duel with lucius of the emperors children.

Erebus is clearly an expert swordsman. So maybe a sheathed sword ould be a possible addition?
Also i think the staff, though cool, looks a bit more like a force staff type weapon than an acursed crozius (sp?)

must say though it looks good so far, i love the new prince kit. gotta get me one of those!

sprugly

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-08-2010, 11:32
In DARK APOSTLE he's been bunged into a Dreadnought -poor chap! He's quite clearly mad too :D

Isn't that the Warmonger?

totgeboren
27-08-2010, 11:50

As Imperialis_Dominatus said, that is the Warmonger you are thinking of. A different dude.

LonelyPath
27-08-2010, 12:47
Great looking DP and I am loving the staff and pose, really nice :)

Sons of Lorgar
02-09-2010, 20:32
I'm overwhelmed by all the positive comments :)

So, to answer questions, regarding placement of the thread I was unsure where to put it and it ended up in general discussion, maybe should ask for it to be moved to the modelling section.

Now to the model itself.

Scale is the easiest since I had it placed next to a last generation metal DP just yesterday, and they are actually more or less identical in height, though the old one is a little less wavy with it's limbs and thus doesn't occupy as much volume.

As for the modelling, the staff was modeled after the 'Dawn of War' style accursed croxius that is indeed a two-handed staff. I have two other Dark apostles in my army, one in terminator armor, and one in power armor, both their croxiuses are individual, the PA one is based on the personal icon bit with the cyber-skull (half a ring added to the back of the skull). The terminator's is a staff with a chaos star at one end and a double bladed axe head in the other.
As for the painting, I'm extremely insecure when it comes to deciding colours for organic/semi-organic parts and would much appreciate suggestions.
The theme of my Word Bearers are mechrite red, boltgun trim, metal word bearer shoulder pads where flames are sunburst and daemon head is mithril, weapons are black with silver trim, models are then swabbed with dipping agent. Daemon and power weapons are painted ice blue with skull white lingtning bolts or 'soul faces' and then inked, daemon weapons red ink, power weapons blue or purple ink.
As for 'Erebus' I was thinking of using pre-heresy colours (granite) for the armor parts. I like the idea of the skull-faced helmet, but I also like the facial expression the model has, was thinking of adding the signature horns around the scalp as shown in 'collected visions' page 126 and 265.
A sheated sword isn't really an option, a belted sword without sheat might be however :) I am also trying to get my hands on an inquisitor-scale bolter to hang by a chain on the belt.

Necrothrall
02-09-2010, 20:36
As Imperialis_Dominatus said, that is the Warmonger you are thinking of. A different dude.

If I remeber correctly it says in dark apostle its says the warmonger is erebus

MajorWesJanson
02-09-2010, 20:47
If I remeber correctly it says in dark apostle its says the warmonger is erebus

Nope.

Plus, Erebus shows up in person in Dark Creed.

Necrothrall
02-09-2010, 21:34
I've only read the first one and that was a few years ago, so my memory of its a little sketchy

could have sworn it said the warmongers name was erebus though, oh well must be going senile

Sons of Lorgar
03-09-2010, 17:08
And as for the biological status of Erebus at M41 I was unaware that he had chosen to remain an astartes. However, that only means I have to rename my DP, and there could probably be other Apostles that have chosen ascension.

Tak
04-09-2010, 03:10
Dude, is he like flipping the bird? That's hardcore.

-Paul

Iv'e wondered if this is a bit of an inside joke with GW because Iv'e got several models in my army that flip the bird. Iv'e got a possessed that does it and also a bloke with a power fist flipping a power bird.

In all Iv'e got about four examples of this phenomena and now even the new Daemon Prince is doing it. Has anyone else noticed this trend or are my men trying to tell me something? :shifty:

Oh and I like the pose by the way, especially the staff.

paulymath
04-09-2010, 03:21
Iv'e wondered if this is a bit of an inside joke with GW because Iv'e got several models in my army that flip the bird. Iv'e got a possessed that does it and also a bloke with a power fist flipping a power bird.

In all Iv'e got about four examples of this phenomena and now even the new Daemon Prince is doing it. Has anyone else noticed this trend or are my men trying to tell me something? :shifty:

Oh and I like the pose by the way, especially the staff.

LOL. It totally looks like he's flipping us the bird. Maybe we should start a bird-flipping gallery of models. :)

big squig
04-09-2010, 14:24
You want to avoid using a flash when photographing a mini up close.

the1stpip
04-09-2010, 15:39
Maybe its GW flipping us the bird.