PDA

View Full Version : Starting lizardmen soon...ish

Nubl0
28-08-2010, 01:26
Soo after finishing up my daemon army I was planning to do a lizardmen one, I hear they are pretty good this edition and I really like the whole theme of the army.. and well, DINOSAURS!

Anyway heres what I'm planing on getting and I just want some opinions if its a good start.

Battallion set, another 2 box's of saurus and 1 extra temple guard, 3 kroxigor, 2 sallies a slann and a stegadon.

Plan is I will probably make one large unit of spear saurus and a smaller hw/s unit, use the tg to bunker the slann and all the skinks will be skirmishers with blowpipes. The kroxigor I want to use as a serperate unit and I will probabley use the stegadon as an engine I will probs make a skink chief with the one you get.

Soo yeah, does that look like a good start? I'm not sure what to do with the coc from the battalion as they dont seem that great to me, could they be used as warmachine hunters? Or perhaps just to soak up shot for other units?

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 01:36
You basically just summed up the current cheese build for 8th Edition. Make sure your Slann has Cupped Hand of Old Ones (CHOOO) and you're good to go. Lore of Life!

Nothing wrong with doing that build; everyone else does it and the only thing that should give you any problems is an Empire or Dwarf artillery list.

Kudzu
28-08-2010, 01:58
Soo after finishing up my daemon army I was planning to do a lizardmen one, I hear they are pretty good thid edition and I really like the whole theme of the army.. and well, DINOSAURS!

Anyway heres what I'm planing on getting and I just want some opionions if its a good start.

Battallion set, another 2 box's of saurus and 1 extra temple guard, 3 kroxigor, 2 sallies a slann and a stegadon.

Plan is I will probably make one large unit of spear saurus and a smaller hw/s unit, use the tg to bunker the slann and all the skinks will be skirmishers with blowpipes. The kroxigor I want to use as a serperate unit and I will probabley use the stegadon as a engine while the I will make a skink chief with the one you get.

Soo yeah, does that look like a good start? I'm not sure what to do with the coc from the battalion as they dotn seem that great to me, could they be used as warmachine hunters? Or perhaps just to soak up shot for other units?
Very solid start, don't let whiners like Sinnix (;)) bug you.

My current 2500 list is:

Slann: BSB, Rumination, Becalming, Mystery (lore of life), Cupped hands, Standard of Discipline

Skink Priest: Cloak of Feathers, Dispel scroll

Scar Vet: Light Armor, Shield, Sword of Strife, Dragon Helm

29 Saurus: Spears, FC (Scar Vet in here)

22 Skinks 2 Kroxigor: FC

10 Skink Skirmishers

16 Temple Guard: FC, War Banner (Slann in here)

8 Chameleon Skinks

5 Cold One Cav: Std/Mus Flaming Standard

Ancient Steg

Salamander

Salamander

I've had really good luck with the Skrox unit, you might want to try it out with your extra skinks. The EOTG really isn't worth it now, with templates (specifically cannons) hitting every model instead of randomizing and challenges being easier to do the priest dies really quickly so you end up with a really expensive support unit that sucks at supporting now. You Slann will also eat up most if not all of your dispell dice as well.

As far as CoC go, 8th kicked them in the teeth really hard (they're possible one of the worst heavy cav units in the game now between the low ini and stupidity) but I still use them because they look cool. I've started using them as flankers and gave them the flaming standard to hydra/hpa hunt. I go into every game expecting them to do nothing, so I end up being pleased when they actually kill anything or soak up shooting.

ramongoroth
28-08-2010, 02:45
It certainly is a solid start. One thing I would suggest before you model the skink skirmishers' weapons is to try a game or two with javelins and a couple with blow guns. I move mine around quite a bit so I find javelins with quick to fire a better choice for my style of play.

I used a Skrox unit once and it did horribly. That was probably more due to below average rolling but I haven't used them since (the krox didn't cause a single wound).

bluemage
28-08-2010, 03:18
That looks like a good buy. I'd probably add a box of skinks to that list and 2 more salamanders. It looks like 2500 is becoming a more common standard and with your list of soon to be purchased goods I think you might be a little short if you don't make out on magic items.

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 05:44
Very solid start, don't let whiners like Sinnix (;)) bug you.

Dude, I was being serious. There's nothing wrong with the cheese list at all in my opinion. Do what works for you (as long as others can actually enjoy the game... which is why I have to change my Dwarf list).

Slann are fun anyway. If you can, though, try throwing an Old-blood on a Carnosaur in there! If there was a way to do Slann with Lore of Light paired with an Old-blood on a Carnosaur... man, that'd be sexy.

Kudzu
28-08-2010, 07:20
Dude, I was being serious. There's nothing wrong with the cheese list at all in my opinion. Do what works for you (as long as others can actually enjoy the game... which is why I have to change my Dwarf list).
The funny thing is that's my slightly modified (250 more points, few things shifted around) 7th ed list that I've been using forever.

Slann are fun anyway. If you can, though, try throwing an Old-blood on a Carnosaur in there! If there was a way to do Slann with Lore of Light paired with an Old-blood on a Carnosaur... man, that'd be sexy.

At 2500 you can easily, but I'm just not impressed by the OB+C in 8th (laser guided cannons make him cry). I'd rather spend the points on another block of Saurus.

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 07:53
At 2500 you can easily, but I'm just not impressed by the OB+C in 8th (laser guided cannons make him cry). I'd rather spend the points on another block of Saurus.

I think with heightened Initiative from LoLight and S7 Thunderstomp, exciting things could happen.

DarkstarSabre
28-08-2010, 08:11
You basically just summed up the current cheese build for 8th Edition. Make sure your Slann has Cupped Hand of Old Ones (CHOOO) and you're good to go. Lore of Life!

What's funny is that in 6th and 7th edition you would have been mocked for taking anything similar to this.

That's my one big peeve with 8th. My 'standard' list has become cheese list.

Pacorko
28-08-2010, 08:14
I used a Skrox unit once and it did horribly. That was probably more due to below average rolling but I haven't used them since (the krox didn't cause a single wound).

Sounds just like my trolls--joined by my Black Orcs! this past Sunday. :mad:

Then, as a starting list... it's pretty much anted-up. It has all the basics plus the ever-more typical Slann-bunker, so it should allow you to play around with a few possibilities and various configurations, Nubl0.

Have fun with them lizzies and post pics! ;)

Kudzu
28-08-2010, 08:19
I think with heightened Initiative from LoLight and S7 Thunderstomp, exciting things could happen.

If you really want him to go nuts then load him up with Sword of Swift Slaying, Armor of Destiny, Dawnstone, and a shield then use beasts (wildform + savage beast + pelt) with the -1 difficulty for being troop type/ monster.

8 S9 ASF attacks, T9, 1+ rerollable AS, 4+ ward, followed by 4(5 after the first wound caused) S8 D3 wound attacks and a S8 thunderstomp T6.

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 08:41
The above poster knows what's up.

Alltaken
28-08-2010, 13:24
With an extra box of skinks and a different paint job you can make them look as chameleon skinks.

Besides that, you could pick terradons if you find them interesting. I myself find the temptation to use them in 8th since I dread warmachines

Nubl0
28-08-2010, 13:28
Thanks for all the replys guys :P. I wasnt aware that it was a cheesy build I just pikced the stuff I liked the look of... well minus the salamanders but I might use some converted fleshhounds for them anyway.

Seeing as my regular opponent fields a dwarf gunline and the others field similar comoetative list I think im fine. Where I play no believes in cheese you just play with whatever you want.

So what would the benifits of running a skrox unit be compared to just having them sperate?

As for colour scheme... do any of you remember the 3rd edition tyranid scheme? Red carapace and a fleshy bone colour for the rest? I always imagined my saurus to have red hard scales and a more fleshy skin... that or a deep red for the skin and a brown kinda colour for the scales. I'm also confused to as why gw thought it was cool to make kroxigors str 4... it seems so wrong, especially when thing like monotaurs have better special rules, higher intiative and the option to take great weapons are str 5?

bluemage
28-08-2010, 14:29
The thing about a skrox unit is you gain the benefit of command, ranks and some ablative wounds. Yes skinks are bad in combat but I feel that when you add the krox, they begin to work well enough. It also means you get to run a more interesting ranked infantry unit. Saurus are fine but variety is the spice of life.

Kudzu
28-08-2010, 16:06
The thing about a skrox unit is you gain the benefit of command, ranks and some ablative wounds. Yes skinks are bad in combat but I feel that when you add the krox, they begin to work well enough. It also means you get to run a more interesting ranked infantry unit. Saurus are fine but variety is the spice of life.

Don't forget that you get a stand and shoot attack and that the krox can't be attacked in combat until enough skinks have been killed to move them to the front rank.

Jim30
28-08-2010, 17:44
to the O/P - I'm also looking at getting a similar list - have a look at the Dark Sphere games website, as they're doing a lot of this stuff at 25% off retail price for a mail order. You could save some serious money doing it that way.

Nubl0
28-08-2010, 18:14
Shall do, however other than malestrom games I am always carefull about online retailers. I still don't know which ones are realiable and whatnot.

Jim30
28-08-2010, 18:19
Dark sphere have a store by Waterloo station, so have got a physical presence. I've used them a couple of times with no dramas. You might want to ask on the clapham club forums as I'm told they're using them quite a bit now. Otherwise Maelstrom is always a good bet too.

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 19:51
Seeing as my regular opponent fields a dwarf gunline

Who does that!? Sounds awefully boring... :shifty:

Nubl0
28-08-2010, 21:25
Whats worse is that he never wins.. does 1 turn of shooting and then gets run of the board in ombat with my daemons.

SiNNiX
28-08-2010, 22:00
He just needs to tweak his list a little bit, then. Mostly likely, anyway.