PDA

View Full Version : random thoughts of the day

Torga_DW
29-08-2010, 04:25
I've been having a couple random thoughts about high elves.

1-spearmen look like they're wearing heavy armour. They have a solid breastplate, scale skirt and metal bracers.

2-i read in an older high elf army book (ages ago) that ithilmar was the metal. Humans get full plate out of steel, dwarves get gromril, but high elves get nothing.

Any comments? Random thoughts of your own? I'm not really complaining about high elves, the army plays fine as far as i can tell. But these things kept popping into my head and won't go away until i inflict them on someone else.

Duke_Corwin
29-08-2010, 05:29
Back in 5th edition HE spearelves could get heavy armor. It was made from ithilmar.

Back in the days when heavy armor reduced movement ithalmar had no penalty. Also ithalmar barding did not reduce cavalry's movement rate.

SiNNiX
29-08-2010, 05:32
Yeah, same with Dark Elf Spearmen actually, as far as looking armoured to the teeth and only having light armour.

If I understand the Lore correctly, Ithilmar is just as strong as Gromril, but Elven craftsmanship isn't quite as good as Dwarf craftsmanship, which is why the armour itself doesn't offer as much protection. Empire and Brettonians learned their armour crafting from Dwarven blacksmiths to begin with, which is how they're able to construct as good of armour as Dwarfs. But actually, strictly going off Lore, gromril armour is supposed to be completely above anything else in the Old World, which is why I hope they do something interesting for it in the 8th Edition Dwarfs release.

Grovel
29-08-2010, 14:01
... actually, strictly going off Lore, gromril armour is supposed to be completely above anything else in the Old World, which is why I hope they do something interesting for it in the 8th Edition Dwarfs release.

Or at least make Gromril more widely available... Empire shouldn't have equal quality armour, and more of it (Greatswords & Knightly Orders) from a fluff or gameplay perspective, imo.

SiNNiX
29-08-2010, 14:18
Or at least make Gromril more widely available... Empire shouldn't have equal quality armour, and more of it (Greatswords & Knightly Orders) from a fluff or gameplay perspective, imo.

I know. This is always something that has bugged me, being a longtime Dwarf fanatic.

MindSlave
29-08-2010, 14:23
I'd always assumed that, although elves have Ilthimar armour, they're a bit weedy so the armour is pretty thin. So anyone with a bit of oomph can put a bit of damage through.

I'd like dwarf Gromril armour to have a bit of a step up. I don't know what it's like now, but maybe it should equal Chaos Armour. Give a 4+ save? Combined with a shield, you're siting on a tough old dwarf with a 3+ armour save. None too shabby.

Ultimate Life Form
29-08-2010, 14:27
It's interesting that Saurus Characters who run around practically naked have the potential to be among the most heavily armored models in the game, but that is mostly due to Scaly Skin... On the other hand, Greatswords' frills and puffy sleeves pass for full plate. And a popular fairy tale from the Empire: The Vampire Emperor's New Clothes. It is rumored to have originated when Vlad von Carstein developed a penchant for having drawn artwork and cast models of him depicting him in badass armor, while he actually liked showing up on the battlefield naked (which also explains why he caused Terror).

Wise Guy Sam
29-08-2010, 14:52
I'd always assumed that, although elves have Ilthimar armour, they're a bit weedy so the armour is pretty thin. So anyone with a bit of oomph can put a bit of damage through.

I'd like dwarf Gromril armour to have a bit of a step up. I don't know what it's like now, but maybe it should equal Chaos Armour. Give a 4+ save? Combined with a shield, you're siting on a tough old dwarf with a 3+ armour save. None too shabby.

At the moment Gromril does do that.

I think making it a 3+ save would be very interesting. Perhaps a tad to good though.

Stupid rules ruining classic lore. everyone knows that Dwarvishs beards should grant a 6+ "scaly skin" save as Dwarves arn't known for using Herbal essence, thus making their face fuzz anything but silky smooth.

Kiras of the flame
29-08-2010, 16:30
Stupid rules ruining classic lore. everyone knows that Dwarvishs beards should grant a 6+ "scaly skin" save as Dwarves arn't known for using Herbal essence, thus making their face fuzz anything but silky smooth.

Bleh... we all know that all elves lack the ability to grow decent Man-Hair... it's why all those elves are so flimsy...

It's interesting that Saurus Characters who run around practically naked have the potential to be among the most heavily armored models in the game, but that is mostly due to Scaly Skin... On the other hand, Greatswords' frills and puffy sleeves pass for full plate. And a popular fairy tale from the Empire: The Vampire Emperor's New Clothes. It is rumored to have originated when Vlad von Carstein developed a penchant for having drawn artwork and cast models of him depicting him in badass armor, while he actually liked showing up on the battlefield naked (which also explains why he caused Terror).
Lizardmen makes sense due to their skin... None of them use a decent Moisturizer and so their cracked skin makes up for the lack of decent armor...

The Puffy Arms have saved many in the empire... besides where do you think they keep all their money? WE DON'T HAVE POCKETS MAN!!!

If I ever saw Vlad Naked, I'd be running for the hills too... no self respecting warrior wants to see 1500-year-old shriveled up manhood directly at one's face....

Ultimate Life Form
29-08-2010, 16:58
besides where do you think they keep all their money? WE DON'T HAVE POCKETS MAN!!!

Ever wonder what these codpieces are for? :shifty:

The answer is... their crotch. And the worst thing is, I'm not even joking! :eek:

Col. Tartleton
29-08-2010, 17:01
3+ Saves...?

Dwarves in SPAAAAAAAAAACE.

Kiras of the flame
30-08-2010, 17:23
3+ Saves...?
Dwarves in SPAAAAAAAAAACE.

hush! never speak of them again...

Leogun_91
30-08-2010, 18:51
hush! never speak of them again...Why not speak of the special edition Gromrindal. He never mentioned the S-word you know and that model is a recent one.