PDA

View Full Version : Starting Space Wolves, what to buy 1st?

WeeDawgNYC
30-08-2010, 03:16
So this morning I was undecided as to which army to start @ WH40k but thanks to the help of our fellow Warseeins Ive decided to go Wolfen. so the new question is what is needed & what can wait & what should just be left out totally. Hmmm.

swize1
30-08-2010, 03:21
Not to be too obvious but..

You'll definitely need some troop selections, so you can't go wrong with a few Space Wolves Pack boxes.

Beyond that, it really depends on what kind of army you want to run. What is it about SW that got you into the idea of doing the army?

WeeDawgNYC
30-08-2010, 03:31
mainly the fluff & model sculps. also from all the info I gathered, the playability, versatility & competativness of the army.

eldaran
30-08-2010, 08:56
mainly the fluff & model sculps. also from all the info I gathered, the playability, versatility & competativness of the army.

Yeah, but what aspect appeals to you?

Is it the idea of a group of packs working in concert to tear the enemy apart? or do you like the idea of a group of berserkers also tearing apart the enemy, but more with the claws and fangs-type deal?

Basically, difference army bases have different list requirements. So, what are you up for?

WeeDawgNYC
30-08-2010, 08:58
Im up for a nice army..you have any for sale?

jawsoftheworldwolf
30-08-2010, 10:16
There's a good list Here (http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2010/05/space-wolves-escalation-army-list.html)

sprugly
30-08-2010, 19:03
i think many people would agree that grey hunters in a rhino are one of the better troops choices in the game at the mo.

2 flamers or meltas at bargain cost. throw in a power fist and wulfen for close combat and a wolf totem (awesome piece of kit i think) and you have a hard hitting squad that can jump out of their transport, shoot well and have no fear of a return charge due to their counter attack rule.

sprugly

owen matthew
30-08-2010, 19:24
60 grey hunters riding in 6 of whatever you like, and 18 long fangs shooting 15 of whatever you like. That is where I would start.

Zweischneid
30-08-2010, 19:34
Well, the Battleforce (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440278a&prodId=prod300001a) gives you 20 Grey Hunters to start with, as well as a Pod and some Scouts essentially free.

Add some form of HQ, a Rune Priest or Wolf Lord, and maybe a Rhino for the other 10 of those Hunters, and you've got a legal force of 600 pts or so to start experimenting with.

WolfGuardChris
30-08-2010, 20:11
Things to buy
1 space wolf pack box
1 tactical marine box
2 razorbacks
1 rune priest
1 devastator box

leave the top hatch unglued on the RB so you can field as rhinos. Use the melta, flamer from tactical box. Give the ML to the devastators and you got a decent start.

WeeDawgNYC
30-08-2010, 20:18
I was thinking of gettine 1 SW BF & 1 SM BF to convert into more SW's to start. can any of you tell me what the conterpart of Grey Hunter are in the Space Marine BF, so forth & so on.

Nezalhualixtlan
30-08-2010, 20:23
So this morning I was undecided as to which army to start @ WH40k but thanks to the help of our fellow Warseeins Ive decided to go Wolfen. so the new question is what is needed & what can wait & what should just be left out totally. Hmmm.

"what to buy 1st?"

The Codex. :)

WeeDawgNYC
30-08-2010, 20:29
Codex, yes of course..lol

owen matthew
31-08-2010, 00:27
Seriously, troops. Grey hunters are probably best for a beginer. On your other Theread I suggested 3 full squads, and one squad of Blood claws. That is a good core for a SW army. It could take you from 1500 up to 1850 easily. Troops, Troops, Troops!

eldaran
31-08-2010, 06:35
Grey hunters, Long Fangs, wolf Guard.

In short, buy a few wolf packs/tactical marine boxes/spare bitz eg missile launchers, and build a load of marines - at least forty for a 1,500 point force. Add 3 or 4 razorbacks to the list (with the important caveat, as already mentioned of not gluing turrets on)

After that...it depends on what you want to add, whether it's dreads, tanks, speeders, thunderwolves, whatever.

my personal bias would suggest a vindicator and at least 1/2 speeders, but it's up to you.

Simo429
31-08-2010, 09:34
Battleforces are really good buys
Scouts with OBEL cannot be underestimated .
Devs are great.
Personally get yourself on mythicast or Mr Dandy and get some thunderwolves, favourite unit to use.

Astraeos
31-08-2010, 09:46
The counterparts are roughly-

Grey Hunters - Tactical marines
Long fangs - Devastators
SkyClaws - Assault Marines
Wolf Guard - Veteran Squads

Blood Claws are the recruits, same as in a codex army except they're wearing power armour and have bigger squads. A unit of them at 15 strong led by a Wolf Priest will stick around for a bit, give them a Crusader as a transport and that should make them a good unit to throw at and seize objectives.

The Rune Priest is worth a mention as they have some nasty Psychic Powers.
My favourite unit is the Lone Wolf, and they're pretty good in a fight. My own has managed to slay an Ork Warboss in close combat!

WeeDawgNYC
10-09-2010, 04:48
ok so I managed to start picking up some stuff here & there. so far I have these:

x1 SM Battle Force box
x1 SM Commander box
x1 Scout Snipers box
x1 SW Terminator box
x2 Devistator squad box
x1 AoBR Dreadnought
x5 Thunderwolves

ok so based on what comes in the battle force & the rest can you guys help me out with my 1st list?

I will also purchase these next, but want to try & focus on what I have on-hand:

x1 Land Speeder
x1 Drop Pod
x1 Razorback
x1 Wolf Pack box

will I have enough troops or should I get another Wolf Pack box?

& as far as HQ goes I havnt decided what to get.

thanks guys for your help.

Grimmeth
10-09-2010, 11:25
You'll want a wolf pack or two to get the bits to convert those standard SM parts into Space Wolf parts really.

WeeDawgNYC
10-09-2010, 14:24
yes indeed, should I trade in the sniper scouts in for another unit of regular scouts or is 5 refular scouts good enough & just get something else with the sniper box?

WeeDawgNYC
15-10-2010, 08:49
So a month later & I only got to play 2 games ;(
both ending in a Draw for (objectives)

my list:

x1 Rune Priest w/ L.Lightning/M.Hurricane, CotSlain -110pts
x10 G.Hunters w/ x2 Melta's, P.Fist, W.Standard, MoWulfen -205pts
x10 G.Hunters w/ x2 Melta's, P.Fist, W.Standard, MoWulfen -205pts
x5 Scouts w/ x2 P.Weapon, Meltagun, MoWulfen -130pts
x2 Razorbacks w/ H.Killer Missle -100pts
Total: 750pts

Should I give my Scouts 2 plasmas instead of power weapons?