PDA

View Full Version : Moments when your smile turned into a facepalm...

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 18:31
Much like the 'sigh moments' and 'awesome moments' threads, I'd love to hear your stories about when your good moment became a bad one in one or two tosses of the dice.

For instance:

Last night I was playing 2k WoC versus Skaven, and I had my L4 Tz on a Disc sitting on my left flank with a unit of six Chaos Trolls just to the side, and a HPA bearing down fast. I managed to get two wounds on it with an Infernal Gateway, then it charged the Trolls. Despite the impact hits and flailing fists, the Trolls regenerated all but two wounds and did one back, losing the combat but holding.

In my next turn, I managed a second Gateway and killed the HPA with 10 S9 hits, *big smile* time. It spawned three rat swarms which promptly charged my general (too close to the table edge to flee) and held it in place while my trolls wandered off due to stupidity, and my opponent's Stormvermin/Queek unit flanked the now tarpitted L4 Sorcerer, who flees after losing combat and is overrun by the last of the rat swarms.

:cries:

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-08-2010, 18:44
You're able to use the IG into CC now? :wtf:

theunwantedbeing
30-08-2010, 18:49

And his smile about his story is now a facepalm moment.
Oh the irony of it all.

Malorian
30-08-2010, 18:50

I was thinking the same thing :confused:

I haven't had a lot of these in 8th, but a recent one would be when I charged a horde of dwarf warriors with great weapons into the rear of a horde of ungors.

Looked like an easy case of doomed ungors... until they killed nine of my warriors! :eek:

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 19:03
Hardly the point of the post, but why wouldn't you? It just says to select a unit, it doesn't say anything else? Since the Army Book lores are not classified, I don't know which type of rules to apply to it.

I could very well have messed that up though, of course.

yabbadabba
30-08-2010, 19:17
Played 2k Empire vs O+G last Friday. My first game. I though that waiting the other side of a hill to wait until the O+Gs got over it before charging was a good idea. Until he got 6 on his animosity rolls on all three units, and they rolled 2 6's and a 5 for movement - then charged. That was turn 2.
That doesn't include my wizard blowing up on his first spell and taking half his unit and supporting detachments with him.
Or all 4 of my war machines getting 10 on their scatter rolls in the second turn of shooting
Or my general and his unit running away form a giant, again (all but one game with giants so far since 6th Ed - that one the giant ate him).

It was an awesome game :) :) :)

Loopstah
30-08-2010, 19:23
I accepted a challenge from a Warrior Priest with my Prince rather than the unit Champion figuring he would slaughter the priest and give me some easy overkill.

Turns out the Priest had the Specullum and preceded to kill my Prince who failed to wound him back.

Wont be doing that again.

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 19:31
Yeah I had something similar in the same game. Warriors hit a unit of Clanrats, my BSB challenges, out pops the Warlord with the Fellblade.

I have never seen the Fellblade before, attacks at S10 (so no AS), does d6 multiple wounds, and forces rerolled ward saves?! Bye bye BSB.

theunwantedbeing
30-08-2010, 19:35
Hardly the point of the post, but why wouldn't you? It just says to select a unit, it doesn't say anything else? Since the Army Book lores are not classified, I don't know which type of rules to apply to it.

You still have to follow the basic spell guidelines in the magic section though.
One of which is "no casting into combat".

Anyways a few battles ago my metal casting high sorceress faced off against a steamtank (there was a fair bit of complaining from people watching that I had picked the lore specifically...).
Anyway, brilliant I think I got all the spells needed to ruin that Stank in no time at all.

Several irresistable forces later and most of the unit she was sitting in having been blown to hell by the force of the spells and the Stank is sitting there looking a little bit warped and melted but still there and barely functioning. It took her 5 turns to kill it!

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 19:38
You still have to follow the basic spell guidelines in the magic section though. One of which is "no casting into combat".

I have to re-read the magic section of the BRB apparently, I didn't think it was that clear.

For instance, the scenario where a mage, in a combat, can roll a vortex into the unit he is fighting against.

papabearshane
30-08-2010, 19:43
a'rd Boyz and I took my All commers O&Gs :p Im not in it to win it just to beat the snot out of some crazy lists and learn as much as i can............

3rd game, facing a Crazy Skaven monster hord. 12 Rat Ogers, 3 HPAs 1 Rat Hord, 1 Screaming Bell hord................Ya for my orcs it was a killing frenzy..........

Greatest moments were when my 30 HW/S NGs with nets took the last wound off of one of the HPAs...........Same turn my pumpwagons killed off another one................

Biggest Face palm is at the end of the game where i realise that i have killed 5 HPAs with my O&Gs and theres one still standing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all its crazy trying to kill one or two in a fun game but 3 with no flaming attacks in your army and the stupid things getting back up with 5 or 6 wounds is just plain FACE+PALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great opponent though we both were laughing when the Snots killed the HPA with there normal attacks after doing 5 impact wounds :D

Crovax20
30-08-2010, 19:43
The game where my goblins all decided to squabble for 2 turns in a row. All units in a 1500 point game just doing nothing first and second turn, only two spearchucka's, a giant and a chariot were allowed to move/shoot as they didn't have to test for animosity.

That really was a facepalm game that was quite funny. At least I know the chances of it happening again are pretty tiny.

Tae
30-08-2010, 19:53
I have to re-read the magic section of the BRB apparently, I didn't think it was that clear.

For instance, the scenario where a mage, in a combat, can roll a vortex into the unit he is fighting against.

Magic in 8th has 4 defaults:

1) Target must be within the Wizard's front arc
2) Wizard does not need Line of Sight to the target
3) Target must be within the spell's range
4) Target cannot be engaged within close combat

Now the BRB 5 spell types amend/ignore some of these:
Magic Missiles - amend 2), as they do require Line of Sight.
Direct Damage - does not change/amend any of the defaults
Hexes & Augments - ignore 1) and 4)
Power Vortex - ignores 4), as power vortex specifically states that the spell has no target, so if it has no target you cannot possibly have a target engaged in close combat!

Now the spells in army books are not listed as one of the 5 specific types. This means that they follow the above 4 defaults, unless their own wording says otherwise (e.g. "can be cast on a unit in close combat"). Infernal Gateway contains no such wording, therefore it follows the defaults exactly - so no casting it at a unit engaged in close combat.

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 19:55

Power Vortex - ignores 4), as power vortex specifically states that the spell has no target, so if it has no target you cannot possibly have a target engaged in close combat!

Now the spells in army books are not listed as one of the 5 specific types. This means that they follow the above 4 defaults, unless their own wording says otherwise (e.g. "can be cast on a unit in close combat"). Infernal Gateway contains no such wording, therefore it follows the defaults exactly - so no casting it at a unit engaged in close combat.

Groovy, this is helpful!

The_Lemon
30-08-2010, 20:42

Uh my version of the BRB says that when the spell comes from an old armybook ALL of the restrictions will be written in the spell description. Maybe is a translation error (my brb is in spanish). But all means that unless the spell actually says "cannot be cast into combat" you can cast it into combat no problem.

Otherwise we have stupid things like not being able to use dance on the same unit my caster is, or many other stupid things.

TheKingInYellow
30-08-2010, 20:47
Let's not derail the thread, please. I've asked the question about Army Book Lores in this new thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273949).

Lord Inquisitor
30-08-2010, 21:09
Okay, here's a few from the Ard Boys last Saturday:

Game 1

Against night goblin horde with no fanatics - new player, literally first game of Warhammer ever (any edition, not just 8th!) against my min-maxed fine-tuned cheesebeard Ld-denial Slaanesh daemon army. Yeah, it wasn't pretty, but there were some funny moments:

Oh-oh moment 1: Turn 1, I set my Greater Daemon and 16-strong seeker unit in a wood, which turned out to be a Blood Forest. I cast a three spells turn 1, including a slicing shards that obliterated his general (who was not in a unit and took something horrific like 18 wounds). Then I realised that I just cast three spells in a Blood Forest - the wood ate half my 400-point unit of seekers, put a wound on my general and scarpered halfway across the board to envelope my infantry.

Oh-oh moment 2: He moved a giant unit of snotlings up against the river that spanned the entire board. I charged both my largish units of daemonettes through the river - which turned out to be a Boiling Flood. No problem, I'll just smash through the snotlings and overrun out of the river of death. I inflicted 31 wounds (thanks in part to a soulblight) and massacred the snotlings all except two stands. Under the Masque's influence these were reduced to Stubborn Ld3 - he passed on a 3, trapping my two units of 25-30 daemonettes entirely in the river. 24 daemonettes boiled alive.

At the end of the game I think my opponent achieved less than half a dozen casualties on my army but just about half my model count had been killed by the terrain!

Game 2

I played Dark Elves with a huge amount of witch elves. I smashed into a big unit of witch elves with my super-expensive Seeker BSB unit, slaughtering his unit - only a handful of elves were left. I was exhultantly ready to smash through his unit and overrun past his general's unit... until he explained they were Stubborn with a re-roll as in range of a cauldron. The smile really froze on my face!

Game 3

At a critical point I was engaged with empire against my daemonettes. With great cunning I was able to save enough dice to dispel his unbreakable spell, beat the unit (which fled), leaving me in prime position to flank his Greatsword unit. All I had to do was restrain pursuit... and despite on the general's Ld, they didn't, running right in front of the 'swords. Great.

Campbell1988
30-08-2010, 21:51

General rules prevent casting into combat with Hexes and Buffs (can't remember the exact name) having rules that specifically allow it.

GenerationTerrorist
30-08-2010, 22:08
Charged my HE Prince on Star Dragon into the front of a horde of 60 Goblin Spearmen. Killed the Champion in a Challenge and was grinning madly.

I stopped smiling when I realised that I had lost on Combat Resolution (all those ranks, plus the standard) by 2 points, and he ran/flew off the board :-(

640-ish points down the drain on turn 2!

Agnar the Howler
30-08-2010, 22:11
From 7th and my first ever 2k game, Lizards vs Empire with a Lore of metal Slann, Immune to all non-magical attacks, 2+ ward against all ranged attacks, knows every spell in the lore, gets a free PD with each cast attempt, and your wizard there discards all 6s he rolls when casting, along with the obligatory Cupped Hands.

Turn 1, as ever, started great. He didn't do a whole lot and in return I killed off his runefang general with a RoBI we wrongly did (we being me, my opponent and 3 spectators, 2 of which were veteran gamers) as we thought it was D6 hits instead of a single hit. However, as with all my games it snowballed. My second cast attempt, Spirit of the Forge, was dispelled with the scroll that makes you forget the spell on a roll of 4+, which he made. Angry, I tried to punish the knight unit his two wizards were with by casting Distillation of Molten Silver.

First came the miscast, then came the double 1 on the table. Then came the cry of "You can't use Cupped Hands against it, as the rulebook says nothing can stop a double 1 on the table." and the reply of, "Yes it can, it's in the FAQ." I walked over to the store computer to show him, only to find the internet wasn't working, and that nobody in the store knew what was written on the LM FAQ. So I was forced to concede at that point and pack my Slann away as my opponent (rather unsportingly in my opinion) ran around the store telling everyone (yes, everyone) what just happened and completely rubbing it in my face.

After that it just go worse and worse, the highlight was probably how I managed to claw a draw from it all, and how my EotG managed to stay above half wounds with 3 crewmen and the wizard left against an army with 2 cannons and a hellblaster, even suceeding in running the wizards and the knights off the table thanks to a failed terror check they never recovered from.

That, was my worst moment, closely followed by my Slann's second game, where he blew up again, this time after failing the Cupped Hands roll as well.

Malorian
30-08-2010, 22:11
Charged my HE Prince on Star Dragon into the front of a horde of 60 Goblin Spearmen. Killed the Champion in a Challenge and was grinning madly.

I stopped smiling when I realised that I had lost on Combat Resolution (all those ranks, plus the standard) by 2 points, and he ran/flew off the board :-(

640-ish points down the drain on turn 2!

:confused:

Did you just do 1 wound? No overkill? Not even from thunder stomp?

3 ranks + banner - 1 kill - charge = by 2, so I think this is what you are saying.

Or are we talking about 7th?

GenerationTerrorist
30-08-2010, 22:15
:confused:

Did you just do 1 wound? No overkill? Not even from thunder stomp?

3 ranks + banner - 1 kill - charge = by 2, so I think this is what you are saying.

Or are we talking about 7th?

Nope. My Dice Rolls to wound were totally fluffed! The Prince hit twice, failed to wound on S6 (Great Weapon). The Dragon hit 5 times in total (from Stomp and Regular attacks), managed a single wound.

Infact, I don't even know why I was smiling about it in the first place. Perhaps it was an ironic smile!

Malorian
30-08-2010, 22:29
Wow... that's just plain crummy luck... :(

The_Lemon
30-08-2010, 22:30
Charging with a dragon to a unit with a champion is almost like saying, "I'm going to roll a break test on -1!". Champion challenges, you have to accept, prince kills cahmpion, dragon's attacks get lost because champion is dead, same with thunderstomp. Total 3 wounds+charge= 4 vs 3 ranks+ 1 banner= 4, unit has musician.
I know this because it happened to me too :(

Malorian
30-08-2010, 22:38
Charging with a dragon to a unit with a champion is almost like saying, "I'm going to roll a break test on -1!". Champion challenges, you have to accept, prince kills cahmpion, dragon's attacks get lost because champion is dead, same with thunderstomp. Total 3 wounds+charge= 4 vs 3 ranks+ 1 banner= 4, unit has musician.
I know this because it happened to me too :(

The trick is to make the rider as crappy as possible so that the champ is still around for the dragon to pound on :p:D

Leth Shyish'phak
30-08-2010, 22:56
I solve this problem by giving my Dragon Lord the Hellfire Sword, a multiple wounds weapon is always helpful when you're on a dragon and are forced to challenge. :)

Feefait
30-08-2010, 23:50
When i was getting back into Warhammer I dusted off my Lizardman with the then new to me 7th book. I crafted this completely awesome Old Blood on a Cold One as a solo character, called him Saborre the Hunter. He was going to shock and surprise my opponent and romp through his units, killing characters with his Pirannha Blade and extra attacks. I was facing Brett's so I knew he'd be good.

first turn I move him up, keeping him out of charge range/sight so I can get a flank with him. As we're cleaning up after a close fought 6-turn victory (mine) I picked up a tree to find Mr. Saborre the forgotten still sitting behind the tree I planted him behind turn 1. D'oh!

Not only did I waste him for that game, but I lost any element of surprise for future games. Soon after our group found it's way to Warseer and there would be no more secret weapons or surprises. :(

theunwantedbeing
31-08-2010, 00:01
She has the pendant, she gets a ward save. :D

I then roll the ward save.....*facepalm* :shifty:

So far the pendant has yet to pass a save for my mage.

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
31-08-2010, 00:46
I once charged a Jaguar-Charmed Oldblood and Stegadon into Malus Darkblade and 5 Cold One Knights during the previous Lizardmen book. I figured that even with Malus in the unit, the sheer number of strength 5-7 attacks I would be unleashing should kill the Knights off.

2 dead Knights and 5 dead Skink screw later, my Stegadon ran for it and panicked some Kroxigor along the way. My Oldblood took a more sideways-oriented route and died as he ran into a unit of Repeater Crossbowmen.

Warhound of Lustria
31-08-2010, 01:29
Last saturday, my Dwarfs vs Warriors of Chaos.
Exalted Champion of Khorne on Juggernaut charges into a block of 12 Dwarf Warriors and a Thane.
The Exalted Champion issues a challenge, Thane accepts.
Champion strikes first, fails to do any wounds.
Dwarf Thane strikes back, doing 1 wound.
*smile*
Juggernaut strikes, two hits, two wounds, two failed armour saves, two failed Ward saves, Thane is dead.
*facepalm*

two turns later, same combat, the Dwarf warriors are down to the champion and the Standard bearer due to some Chaos Warriors that charged the flanks.
Exalted Champion strikes, does two wounds, both are saved by parry saves.
*smile*
Dwarf Champion and standard bearer strike back, failing to do any wounds.
Juggernaut strikes, killing the Standard bearer and stomps the Champion stonedead.
*double facepalm*

Jind_Singh
31-08-2010, 02:19
PICK ME, PICK ME!!!!

So to win the game I had to smash the block of lizardmen with their BSB, general, and a chunky unit of Sarus - it was a must win game! So I charged in with EVERYTHING I had to ensure the win on the last turn of the game v's a hated foe!

Wolf Chariot - SMASH! 2 dead! Pump Wagon - KERUNCH! 3 more dead! Unit of Orc Boyz, 27 strong, no wounds but added combat res! Boar Chariot - WOLLOP! 4 dead!

The opponent is looking glum - I've already wiped out the front rank, and a bit of the 2nd, he's not got too many attacks back! :D

Then I rolled for my giant....

YELL AND BAWL!!!

what!!! Epic face palm from a moment of glee, he easily passes the test and goes on to win the day with VPs! Oh the injustice!!!!

Lord Dan
31-08-2010, 02:26
7th edition. My opponent placed his wizard lord in a treeline to get out of the unit that was approaching combat with a unit of my knights. I had the prime opportunity to snipe him with my cannon, so I guessed, rolled for the extra distance, and the shot landed RIGHT on his head.

:)

Rolled to wound. 1. Great.

:(

Rolled for the bounce. I rolled a 10, which placed the cannonball just barely on my steamtank 10 inches behind the wizard lord.

:eek:

6 to wound, 6 wounds.

:cries:

Zaustus
31-08-2010, 03:27
Ahh, these are fun to read. Schadenfreude for the gamer's soul.

In my last game, my unit of 18 frenzied (Banner of Rage) Tzeentch Warriors with Halberds charged my opponent's 20 Phoenix Guard with Teclis and BSB. I usually don't take unit champions, so I can't challenge, intentionally.

His attacks come first of course, but he doesn't do much damage, maybe a couple Warriors die. I throw the maximum number of attacks at Teclis that I can, which is 6. Four wounds scored! My opponent, never having used the great mage before, didn't realize that Teclis has no save at all, and sadly removed him from the board. :D

I then make the rest of my attacks: 15 at the unit, 2 at the BSB and 1 at the unit champion (why not?). I fail to wound the BSB. :( I do 7 wounds to the unit though, and a wound on the unit champ too! :evilgrin:

He rolls the save for the champ. Makes it. Of course. :rolleyes:

He rolls the 7 other saves. Makes every. Single. One. :eek::wtf:

I lost that combat, and even though I held he broke me two combats later, and ran my unit down. The whole game went pretty much like that, and I got routed.

Gaargod
31-08-2010, 04:04
Ethereal Slann on carpet with lore of death has just managed to get into the perfect position down the flank of a dwarf infantry line. At this stage he only has 2 dispel dice left to my 4 PD left, so i call up the mini purple sun and let loose. All goes well, until it comes to distance. My Slann decides actually, he has better things to do.

Misfire, eats my hypnotoad. As an added bonus, the spell bounces off a full 6 and eats a unit of saurus cav.

Sigh.

Jind_Singh
31-08-2010, 06:52
Last saturday, my Dwarfs vs Warriors of Chaos.
Exalted Champion of Khorne on Juggernaut charges into a block of 12 Dwarf Warriors and a Thane.
The Exalted Champion issues a challenge, Thane accepts.
Champion strikes first, fails to do any wounds.
Dwarf Thane strikes back, doing 1 wound.
*smile*
Juggernaut strikes, two hits, two wounds, two failed armour saves, two failed Ward saves, Thane is dead.
*facepalm*

two turns later, same combat, the Dwarf warriors are down to the champion and the Standard bearer due to some Chaos Warriors that charged the flanks.
Exalted Champion strikes, does two wounds, both are saved by parry saves.
*smile*
Dwarf Champion and standard bearer strike back, failing to do any wounds.
Juggernaut strikes, killing the Standard bearer and stomps the Champion stonedead.
*double facepalm*

This one made me laugh the most! Thanks for sharing!

Jind_Singh
31-08-2010, 06:54
Another smile to face palm...

playing a really cheesy VC army with Goblins - he wipes out my ENTIRE army apart from the Giant! He individually charges the giant with 3 VC heroes and a unit - he does 5 wounds to me....I yelled and bawled, killed all three VC heroes outright!

Yell and bawl baby - makes me cry, makes my fly - its why I love Orcs and Goblins so much! They are the ultimate example of when smiles turn to epic Face Palms!

slingersam
31-08-2010, 08:53
My Moment is when My temple Guard + slann is charged on the flanks by dwarfs (othstone plus ironbreakers hard to break). My unit holds due to stubborn. My turn comes around. I cast speed of light. Mis-cast great just what I need and I detonate. takes out 7, decent amount of 1's. Then I cast ASF +1 attack and mis-cast again 8 die this time *face-palm* My unit then gets cut down and my 800 point unit is destroyed by your's truly. So I failed epic hard that combat.

CaptainFaramir
31-08-2010, 09:13
A couple of weeks into the new High Elves book, when the Star Dragon/Vambraces/Caledor combo was still new I took the build against a a Wood Elves player. I deliberately dropped the Dragon in the middle of his combatty units on Turn 2, knowing that the ideal way for a Wood Elf army to deal with anything is multi-charges. And multi-charge he did. Two units of Wardancers, a unit of Wild Riders and some dryads all charged me. Perfect I thought, lining up the rest of my army to wipe out his remaining non-combatty units.

Combat. Number of attacks on Dragon/Prince - somewhere in the region of 40-50. Number of wounds suffered by Dragon/Prince = 0. Massive grin! The guy's jaw literally just hit the floor. He couldn't believe how resiliently, unkilly this High Elf character was.

Then I rolled for my attacks. 4 hits. 2 wounds. With a flank, banner and outnumber, he won the combat by 1. No worries, I thought, Gem of Courage. 6,5,5. Oh, ****. 700 points. Instadeath (fleeing through US5+). Facepalm.

Urgat
31-08-2010, 09:33
YELL AND BAWL!!!

Ahaha, happened to me too. A few times (I mean, having a crunching victory in a combat rendered void by yell and bawl, not losing the battle itself). One of the reasons why I don't take a giant anymore, he's a probable liability in any fight where he's not alone. And he can't win alone either, so...

Archaon
31-08-2010, 10:17
During 7th i played a tournament with my Dark Elves and got Chaos Warriors as an opponent.

I had a nasty 6 strong COld One unit and had the General in there with the usual defensive/offensive mix in there.

As my luck goes they fail their stupidity test in the crucial moment right in front of a powerful cavalry unit of my opponent and i thought that was it.. byebye close to 500 points but he doesn't attack!

I put on a grin, charge him next turn and ALL my attacks fail to hit or do any damage (even the general who hit on 3+ and wound on 2+). My unit gets routed and the game goes on.. i think it was a draw, could have been a good victory if i just had rolled an average in this fight.

Lorcryst
31-08-2010, 11:01
A facepalm moment in 7th (haven't played 8th yet) :

My HE opponent glides a Great Eagle near my blocks of Night Goblins, to release the Fanatics ... three buggers pop out, one reach the Eagle while the two others stays 4 inches in front of my main unit ... the Eagle goes *poof* from the 6 wounds I rolled, yay !

And then, next turn, the three Fanatics decide to go back through my main unit, kill enough to force a Panic check, I fluff my Ld roll, main unit flees off the table, with my General and BSB in it, and panicks the two nearby flanking units containing my 2 shamans that also flee of the table ... turn 2, half of my army is gone, General, BSB and shamans are gone ... it went downhill from there, the total VPs were something like 2700 vs 0 in a 2K game ...

Lord of Divine Slaughter
31-08-2010, 11:07
Halfway through the game.

Supreme sorceress with spearmen bodyguard finally takes down the waraltar and breaks the lector, lector flees 6", I laugh at the prospect of reaping the bounty and proceeds with rolling a 5 and set up my spearmen for a perfect flank charge from a STank.

Luckily right beside them, a hydra did its best and thunderstomped a horde of halberdiers + warrior priest + level 2 into submission and broke them. They fled a mighty 5" and the hydra pursued 4" :(

Xzazzarai
31-08-2010, 11:12
It was during the Swedish Championship when I faced an OK player with my Dark Elves. Turn 4, I hade him whiped except for his Tyrant and a unit of CoKs where my only loss. So I positioned my Dragon Lord to charge the Tyrant when he got back from pursuing my CoKs off the board.
Well, the Tyrant gets back in and so I charge him. I manage to do 8 wounds on him, he got 3 left with a 5+ Wardsave... and he rolls 6 5+... SIX!! And thus surviving with one wound. He then kills me Dragon (which had 2 wounds left) ties the combat, wins beacuse he is US3 and thereby outnumbers my Dreadlord, auto-breaks him due to fear and run him down.
Worth noting is that my Lord had 3 captured standards at that point, so I lost about 950 VPs right there.

I could have just shot the bloody Tyrant to death!!

Urgat
31-08-2010, 11:23
A facepalm moment in 7th (haven't played 8th yet) :

My HE opponent glides a Great Eagle near my blocks of Night Goblins, to release the Fanatics ... three buggers pop out, one reach the Eagle while the two others stays 4 inches in front of my main unit ... the Eagle goes *poof* from the 6 wounds I rolled, yay !

And then, next turn, the three Fanatics decide to go back through my main unit, kill enough to force a Panic check, I fluff my Ld roll, main unit flees off the table, with my General and BSB in it, and panicks the two nearby flanking units containing my 2 shamans that also flee of the table ... turn 2, half of my army is gone, General, BSB and shamans are gone ... it went downhill from there, the total VPs were something like 2700 vs 0 in a 2K game ...

Got something a bit like that (7th ed too):
I get charged, I think it was a bunch of knights of the realm, three fanatics pop out, they all roll super low, they end like 5" away from my unit. Knights elect to charge through (my bro is as much of a fluff player as me, I guess he yelled "for the lady!" or soemthing while doing that). Well for once, I wipe the knights out. Comes following turn, I happily run a 6 on animosity, then another 6 for range, and stop on top of all three of my fanatics. Carnage.

People keep telling me how low the odds for that to actually happen are.
I swear my goblins have stepped on their own fanatics at least once a game for as long as I've fielded more than a couple.
I cannot stress how much I hate the current animosity table because of that 6 result.

GenerationTerrorist
31-08-2010, 11:24
PICK ME, PICK ME!!!!

So to win the game I had to smash the block of lizardmen with their BSB, general, and a chunky unit of Sarus - it was a must win game! So I charged in with EVERYTHING I had to ensure the win on the last turn of the game v's a hated foe!

Wolf Chariot - SMASH! 2 dead! Pump Wagon - KERUNCH! 3 more dead! Unit of Orc Boyz, 27 strong, no wounds but added combat res! Boar Chariot - WOLLOP! 4 dead!

The opponent is looking glum - I've already wiped out the front rank, and a bit of the 2nd, he's not got too many attacks back! :D

Then I rolled for my giant....

YELL AND BAWL!!!

what!!! Epic face palm from a moment of glee, he easily passes the test and goes on to win the day with VPs! Oh the injustice!!!!

That is fantastic unluckiness! Made me laugh out loud :-)

Rikkjourd
31-08-2010, 14:20
This is a BIG one:
It was back during 6th ed I think (I had my army on trays only 4 wide, so it was long ago) during a tournament, when my TK was facing Empire. My opponent was a casual gamer, he knew the rules well but didn't cheese out. It was a sure victory for TK I thought. In the middle of the game, my 5 chariots with command and Warbanner charge his 10-man Knight unit to the front. Even if I didn't break them I still outmagicked him by far, and could easily heal them. I manage a grand total of zero wounds (from 17 attacks and 4D3 impacts). He then manages to score a total of about 7 wounds with his 11 S3 knight/horse attacks. On top of that he has a rank, banner and Warbanner. I suffer a ton of extra wounds, and my unit goes POOOF.

But that is not all, I had positioned my flying hierofjant lord somewhere behind the chariots thinking that he was safe. But as my opponents knights were free to charge in his turn I lost my hierophant as well... To add insult to injury I had to test for instability for the rest of the game, which probably accounted for more wounds inflicted on my army than he managed.

So to sum up, that "safe" charge resulted in me losing chariots, their banner and the one they captured earlier, my hierophant, I couldn't kill the knights after that, and AT LEAST 500pts of crumbling... Probably around 1500pts in total.... Big fail.

Odin
31-08-2010, 16:47
One of my worst was in 7th when I was playing against Bretonnians with my wood elves. Wiped out most of his army, but just had to finish off 5 knights of the realm and a hero with no magic items. I surrounded them and charged in the last turn of the game with a unit of 7 Wild Riders (with war banner) in the front, a unit of Dryads in the flank, and my noble riding a great eagle (with helm of the hunt and a spear) in the rear. I caused no casualties at all, they caused about 5 wounds and won the combat and the game.

In 8th, I managed to get the charge with my White Wolves (11 of them, plus Warrior Priest) against my enemy's Cold One Knights (5 of them plus his general). I needed to roll an 11 or more to reach, so he thought I was unlikely to make it, and that he'd be able to get the charge with his lances. But I had the steel standard, giving me +D3 charge range, so I made it - hurrah!

My smile disappeared when he got a bit lucky with his attacks, killing 4 of my knights, and I then fluffed most of my attacks, despite having hatred, and only caused one wound with the remaining 6 knights. My Warrior Priest killed the enemy champion. Unfortunately our failure to beat them in one turn meant his corsairs could charge in in his turn, adding a rank bonus to my woes. The entire flank collapsed, and I lost the game.

Surgency
31-08-2010, 17:02
Like many others, my facepalm moment involves fluffing attacks:

My 8 strong KoTR unit, complete with Tooled up Lord, and Paladin BSB, get the perfect charge on a unit of TK skellies. After rolling loads of dice for lance attacks, I manage to kill 1 skeleton. The skeletons actually manage to kill 2 knights, making them win the combat by 2. Outnumbered by a fear causing unit...... Yeah, you can guess what happened.

Oh, forgot to mention, the unit was 5 inches from the board edge, in the edition that said when you break, you flee to the nearest board edge... 3d6 later, and.... /facepalm

madden
31-08-2010, 17:58
My biggest was in 7th as well my delf opponants knights went stupid my chaos ogres charge (with gw) and kill none!!! WTF then get wiped out due to wounds and run down also in the same game my unit of chaos warriors run away from one wound from a hydra and due to line up fled off the table via a unit or two (old leapfrogging). In 8th my best was tomb prince getting killed by chaos knights then the curse killing them all face palm to laugh it's great fun either way.