PDA

View Full Version : How is your BRB holding up?

Giledan
30-08-2010, 21:26
So the Big (huge) Red 8th edition Rulebook have now been out since 10th (?) of july and i am sure most of you have gotten atleast some battle played using the new rules and the rule book. With the more practical mini-rule book being release in a few days i guess alot of big style books may find retirement quite soon.

But how have your rule book handled the wear and tear of a month and a half of use? Have your bindings started to loosen, pages started falling out, covered in coffee stains? Are the foldout pages still as they once were? Was it a good idea for GW to include so many pages in the rule book, or have the extra weight increased the rate of decomposision and wear on it?
Please share your experiences.

Personally i have never opened the book more then probably 90 degrees, and havent gotten a chance to play a game of 8th yet, so mine is as bright and shiny as the day i got it. :)

Loopstah
30-08-2010, 21:45
My rulebook is in perfect condition, my shoulder and spine are in much worse condition due to lugging around its huge mass.

Murdoch
30-08-2010, 21:46
I have leafed through mine, not used it for any gaming and the middle pages are just starting to away from the bindings... Not amused....

Malorian
30-08-2010, 21:51
I am very gentle with my books and almost never let others use them.

That's not to say I handle them with white gloves or anything, but I don't treat them like the daily paper.

I have never had any issues with any GW bindings.

Ultimate Life Form
30-08-2010, 21:54
I am very gentle with my books and almost never lets others use them.

That's not to say I handle them with white gloves or anything, but I don't treat them like the daily paper.

I have never had any issues with any GW bindings.

Malorian, you sum up my thoughts and experiences perfectly. :cries:

I never understood these threads complaining about a book falling apart after years of constant abuse.

AngelofSorrow
30-08-2010, 21:57
I have the collectors edition and it's great and i treat it like crap
read it in the tub, drop it on the floor, leave it in the 100+ degrees car. It looks just like the day I bought it

Nuada
30-08-2010, 22:01
There probably will a batch that won't hold together very well. Two things went wrong with the BRB. First was the victory conditions were missing from some, the other was a large batch didn't have sufficient glue on the binding. They used another printer after that, doubt they'll use them again.
They should hold together though, as long as you're careful with the book, and don't bend the pages too far back.

brynolf
30-08-2010, 22:32
I have basically never experienced GW books falling apart (well, apart from all Necromunda books, that is), but 8th BRB seems very close to breaking already. It's hardly used at all. I suppose the bindings can't handle all that mass...

enyoss
30-08-2010, 22:33
When mine arrived the spine was already broken around the campaign section :(. Now I have to be really careful that I don't let the back 40 pages and cover swing off and tear the book in two :mad:.

It's especially annoying as I'm one of those people who never opens a book more than 90 degrees to avoid exactly this kind of thing.

Malorian
30-08-2010, 22:36
One thing I should mention, and is something I can't stand when I see people to it, is when they are reading a page and feel the need to 'flatten the book'.

They press down on it, typically right at the spine, and I cringe from the damage I know is being done al in the name of a fast rule check.

Then in a cople of months they are complaining that their book fell apart...

SiNNiX
30-08-2010, 22:55
I only have the Collector's Edition, and I regret not getting the normal edition as I am terrified to ruin it. However, one thing I've noticed as that my CE rulebook is already starting to show signs of possible injury between pages and I take such good care of it and make sure I never flatten it! I sure hope it doesn't get bad.

xxRavenxx
30-08-2010, 23:52
Yay! I get to let off steam about this again!...

SOME BASTARD CHILD TORE MY LORE OF SHADOW PAGE! *angry*

If I ever work out who did it, I'm going to hit them with the store broom...

Bloody Nunchucks
31-08-2010, 00:10
i feel the same way xxravenxx, i take care to try and keep my book in good shape, i lend it to a kid playing a game one time and it comes back with scratches all over and the last 35 pages are ripped halfway out.

brynolf
31-08-2010, 00:13
One thing I should mention, and is something I can't stand when I see people to it, is when they are reading a page and feel the need to 'flatten the book'.

They press down on it, typically right at the spine, and I cringe from the damage I know is being done al in the name of a fast rule check.

Then in a cople of months they are complaining that their book fell apart...

Well, in our group we treat all our books in the same (granted not-really-perfect) way, but 8th BRB is the only one showing any signs of breaking. Never mind, when we get the compact version from IoB, that stone brick will be as obsolete as vinyl anyway.

(obsolete as in won't be used due to clumsiness, not for the rules in it actually becoming outdated. Not much at least...)

TeddyC
31-08-2010, 00:13
I have leafed through mine, not used it for any gaming and the middle pages are just starting to away from the bindings... Not amused....

Take it back, I took some black library books back to my store cos the glue had cracked down the spine meaning more and more pages fall out at every read!

Replaced it, no questions asked

Dark Aly
31-08-2010, 00:16
Yay! I get to let off steam about this again!...

SOME BASTARD CHILD TORE MY LORE OF SHADOW PAGE! *angry*

If I ever work out who did it, I'm going to hit them with the store broom...

you'd be better off hitting them with the book itself- even minus a few pages it's still going to hospitalise them :)

rocdocta
31-08-2010, 05:23
i cut out the unwanted 300 pages of advertising rubbish and have a far lighter book because of it. seems to holding together ok. but if it falls apart will just get it rebound properly.

slxiii
31-08-2010, 06:28
i cut out the unwanted 300 pages of advertising rubbish and have a far lighter book because of it. seems to holding together ok. but if it falls apart will just get it rebound properly.
:eyebrows:

Blinder
31-08-2010, 06:48
they glued that monstrosity? I didn't think to check the store copy to see how it was bound... Eesh... the size, subject matter, and already inane price of the book should have let them have it sewn... bumps up the cost but the bindings should be a lot more reliable (though you still can't stop people actively breaking their books by mashing them flat). They could probably have used it as one of their selling points to justify the price.

Kal Taron
31-08-2010, 06:55
Malorian, you sum up my thoughts and experiences perfectly. :cries:

I never understood these threads complaining about a book falling apart after years of constant abuse.

*cough* first DE Codex *cough* How did you handle that one so that it didn't break apart?
Let's face it, GW has often delivered less than good bindings. Sometimes only some books were bad, sometimes many.
Just pray that your BRB does OK or they replace it.

squalie
31-08-2010, 07:51
I went out to sit in the sun and read the book, dropped it just as I walked out the door and it landed on the corners opposite the spine. Nothing. grass stains and gravel, but it took it like a champ and looks even better in my opinion. Chaos BRB!:D