PDA

View Full Version : 40mm based miniatures in Quest question

Mr Feral
28-09-2010, 22:06
Basically, I want to base my larger Monsters (such as Ogres, Minotaurs, Trolls etc..) onto 40mm bases, but I think it looks silly having them only taking up one tile square on the board per the rules.

Therefore I was wondering, if I were to have then take up a 2 by 2 section of board each (therefore blocking corridors and the like, more room for people to be in base contact) would it affect the game too much? Does anyone else do anything similar to this?

gunmonkey
28-09-2010, 22:19
Have heard it makes the large enemies (dragons, greater daemons) more manageable as more people can get into the fight easier.

Heard trolls, ogres, minotaurs and such become gimped as they were balanced for 1vs1 fighting.

I would instigate some kind of scale, anything more than an minotaurs height gets a 2x2 base, all the same size or below have to be squeezed onto a smaller base.

Mr Feral
28-09-2010, 22:35
Thanks for the quick reply.

I can see what you mean about the Ogre-sized Monsters, I'll have to think of a way to combat them being ganged-up on.

As for the scale issue, I will use the bases the models are supplied with nowadays.

Therefore;

20mm and 25mm: take up 1 square as normal
40mm and 50mm: take up 2 by 2 squares
25x50mm (cavalry): take up 1 by 2 squares

etc..

Daemonslave
29-09-2010, 20:37
Couple of options that could work (although I haven't tried any tbh);

Give the rebased monster a few more wounds
Give the monster extra attacks
Increase the number generated for each monster (instead of D3 Minotaurs for example, D3 + 2, etc)

Personally I think I would go for the extra wounds AND extra numbers at the lower levels, but giving them both extra wounds and extra attacks when the monsters are individual ones, such as Giants, Hydras, etc, though you could balance this a bit by making them easier to hit with missile/magic attacks (ie +1 to hit or even +2 if very big such as Greater Daemons or Dragons)