PDA

View Full Version : Healing Hands spell is broken

Frogczar
30-09-2010, 21:27
In our group we have removed the healing hands spell because it makes the party nearly unkillable by the monsters. I know that initially the game is difficult, but once the party has established itself, "healing hands" really makes things go too easily.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-Frog

BigRob
30-09-2010, 21:49
There is a discussion going on about Quest being too lethal without it. For what it does its very handy, almost a get out of jail free card because for that 2 power your party will never die until you get to fatal damage monsters.

I don't know if its overpowered, its very good, but you have to remember that the other healing spells are moderate to useless. The party who's wizard gets Ressurect as the starting spell will all die horribly and its the same for them all. Freeze is a fantastic spell, fireball is moderately good, Ogre strength is poor.

Remember the minute your wizard levels up he will have it anyway, the sad fact about the Quest spells (like so many other games) is that some of them are rubbish, some of them are totally crap and some of them are only useful in a certain situation which can make wizard builds rather predictable if your playing with the best options available.

Daniel36
07-12-2010, 19:52
Which is exactly why men invented "House Rules". I am rewriting everything for personal use and the first thing I am doing away is random spells and the second thing is rewriting the spells and coming up with some variations so our wizards actually make sense.

Morty
11-05-2011, 15:39
A house rule that we use to stop that spell from being overused is to put finger of lifes restriction on it, Ie it can only be susefully cast on a model once

EldritchGamer
12-05-2011, 08:25
It is a fairly broken spell - like BigRob observed, so long as the Wizard has 2 points of Power and is in no immediate danger, the party cannot die. I believe there is a gulf in the casting cost of Healing Hands (2) and Heal Wounds (4). Heal Wounds is too restrictive (high cost, only one Warrior healed) to be relied upon as much to keep the party alive, which keeps the game balanced IMO.

How about this for a Healing Hands House rule: it only works on a given Warrior if they first manage to roll something like a 3+ or 2+ on 1D6. Then, it is quite reliable, but it is by no means a certainty that it will work!

A better idea might be to modify the cost of Heal Wounds down a bit, and remove Healing Hands from the deck.
Alternatively, replace Healing Hands with a new spell (let's call it Heal Light Wounds), which costs (2) or (3) and heals 1 Warrior 1d3 Wounds. Cheap, but ultimately difficult to use to heal a large number of Wounds or a large number of Warriors, retaining the risk & balance of the game.

Nkari
20-05-2011, 21:04
NAh, just scrap healing hands and reduce the heal wounds to 1 power for D3 healing.. and your fine.. it starts to get expensive when you get whole pary wipes.. (wich is bound to happen 2-3 times the first 2-3 dungeons.. atleast.. more if you encounter minos.. =)