PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called "fluff"?

Warlord Gnashgrod
28-05-2005, 06:42
I've been rather curious lately, wondering why all the background story/fiction of the games is called 'fluff'. Does anyone have any idea? It's been bugging me lately.

Lord of ???
28-05-2005, 08:03
Its the thing that pads out the Gaming system.

Plus fluff sounds more interesting than padding or wadding.

NetGuru
28-05-2005, 08:07
Whats wrong with the word 'Background'?

Personally i've always hated the word fluff.

WLBjork
28-05-2005, 08:55
The official terminology is background.

I believe that it was Gav Thorpe who once said that "Fluff is what you find in your belly-button" :D

Jo Bennett
28-05-2005, 09:33
I seem to recall that it was originally derogatory, used by the beardy to refer to anything not directly related to rules, dismissing it as peripheral or insubstantial.

Warlord Gnashgrod
28-05-2005, 14:53
Its the thing that pads out the Gaming system.

I suppose that could explain it. Although they could've just as easily called it the background, storyline, or plotline.

But fluff does sound nicer than those for some reason. I guess it's because I'm used to using it.

Griefbringer
28-05-2005, 14:58
It is easier to type "fluff" than "background", I guess that is why people like to use the term.

Abother connotation is that fluff is "soft", considered to the rules and army lists which are considered to be more "hard". On Warzone forums there was once a saying that "fluff is not stuff", which meant that you cannot justify background material as a reason to make exception to the rules as written (for example seeing a picture with trooper of type X shooting with two pistols did not give him the ability to shoot with two pistols).

Olith
28-05-2005, 17:03
It is easier to type "fluff" than "background", I guess that is why people like to use the term.

But the term was been used long before the internet became popular in relation towards GW's settings.

Lapsed Pacifist
28-05-2005, 21:01
I suppose that could explain it. Although they could've just as easily called it the background, storyline, or plotline.

(my emphasis)

Tell me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be under the impression that the use of the word "fluff" is somehow sanctioned by GW, it isn't, in fact I should think most of the people who work on the Background material for the game view the term as derogatory.

The pestilent 1
28-05-2005, 21:36
its not derogatory mind.
its like a pet name.

Sgt John Keel
28-05-2005, 23:57
I believe that it was Gav Thorpe who once said that "Fluff is what you find in your belly-button" :D

Also: "Everytime you say fluff, a kitten dies." (Paraphrased)

/Adrian

Sir_Turalyon
29-05-2005, 00:11
It's shorter then "background"
It's less technical and nicer then "background"
It can be used as base for longer words, like "fluffwise", while words based on background would be too long.

Lordmonkey
29-05-2005, 00:43
But why "fluff"? Why not "spiggle" or "foob"?

Rabid Bunny 666
29-05-2005, 02:15
because it pads out the game, plus it sounds cool as hell

Brother Loki
29-05-2005, 12:07
It's also used a lot in RPG design circles, I think. Games systems are spoken of as comprised of two elements:

'Fluff' is the setting, background, plot etc.
'Crunch' is the rules, mechanics etc.

Thus a game like D&D 3.5 might be described as 'crunch heavy' or very 'crunchy', something like Vampire: The Masquerade might be described as fluff led.

It might have started as derogatory, but I've certainly never used it that way. I'm definitely here for the fluff, and the crunch is largely irrelevant to me. But then, I do lose nearly every game...

Pete