PDA

View Full Version : The Zoats return II

Brimstone
28-05-2005, 06:17
OK I've already got a thread in the background forum on this subject that's been going quite nicely.

However spotted on Dakka and upcoming in Black Gobbo 43 is a article on lost Hive fleet conversions including Zoats. :D

Baltimore Coverage. (http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2005/Baltimore_2005/Coverage/US_Studio/studio.htm)

Aquila
28-05-2005, 07:23
Damnit... it looks like they just won't let them die. The general consensus was that their extinction was a good thing for the 40k universe... it just figures that these guys would show up now :D

Dakkagor
28-05-2005, 08:08
I thought the zoats where eaten by the squats?!

The_Chaos_Seer
28-05-2005, 17:49
So... The Tyranids attacked the Squats, the Squats killed all Zoats, and then the Tyranids ate all the Squats? And what's this about Zoats once being used by the Eldar, according to GW's site?

Edit: Do was replaced... Stupid typos...

philbrad2
28-05-2005, 18:00
Notice on the sign in front of these 'BG43'

Black Gobbo 43??? Zoat article in support of the Nid 'dex ??? We're at Black Gobbo 40 currently. That would put it around 6th July which it the later end of the Nid releases.

:chrome:

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-05-2005, 18:52
So... The Tyranids attacked the Squats, the Squats killed all Zoats, and then the Tyranids ate all the Squats? And what's this about Zoats once being used by the Eldar, according to GW's site?

Most people attacked the squats.

Orks destroyed the squat homeworlds.

Eldar manipulate everybody.

There are still a few rogue Zoats out there.

Baggers
28-05-2005, 19:30
Good conversion though I dont think thise models are Zoats but you never know. It shall be an intresting read never the less.

Brimstone
28-05-2005, 19:42
Good conversion though I dont think thise models are Zoats but you never know. It shall be an intresting read never the less.

hmmm four legged centauroid creature conversions found in a feature on lost tyranid hive fleets?

What else do you think they could be.

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-05-2005, 19:45
The picture is very pixelly, to me they look like metal IG with some weird conversions.

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 19:59
I hope they do return, in a big way. I always liked the concept behind these minis

Also the conversions look good.

TG

Brimstone
28-05-2005, 20:21
The picture is very pixelly, to me they look like metal IG with some weird conversions.

The bodies are ogres the position of the arms of the one on the left gives it away.

The on on the right is holding a tyranid monstrous weapon.

If you want to see a better quality picture try the link.

Rabid Bunny 666
28-05-2005, 23:09
cool, but even then, the picture is still small, i liked the old zoat models, but it seems that they have been converted a bit bigger, wonder what the other stuff in the background is?

Brimstone
29-05-2005, 05:08
cool, but even then, the picture is still small, i liked the old zoat models, but it seems that they have been converted a bit bigger, wonder what the other stuff in the background is?

Creatures from lost hive fleets. ;)

I keep forgetting the new Tyranid codex isn't released yet. There is a background article on forgotten hive fleets including Collossus (home of the rogue zoats) and piece featuring the Catachan Devil.

Aquila
29-05-2005, 05:21
The Catachan Devil? Cool! But... don't tell me that GW is gonna try and say that it has Tyranid origins, now... that would just make me sad.

ntin
29-05-2005, 05:22
What would be a lost hivefleet though? They aren't defeated often, did one starve near to death traveling in space or was hit by a Necron fleet?

Brimstone
29-05-2005, 05:28
The Catachan Devil? Cool! But... don't tell me that GW is gonna try and say that it has Tyranid origins, now... that would just make me sad.

Well it's been theorised since the last codex, it's said to resemble the earliest forms of Ripper ecountered by the Imperium.

Deathworlds like Catachan may have undergone the first stage of assimilation by a hive fleet sending their ecosystem into overdrive.

Lost hive fleets are evidence of Tyranid hive fleets recorded before the first ecounter of hive fleet Behemoth at Tyran.

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-05-2005, 11:53

Just hope it doesn't have Necron origins.

Someone said that the Eldar used Zoats, they did, they used renegade Zoats as bodyguards. Gav Thorpe claims the are quote "best forgotten" unquote.

t-tauri
29-05-2005, 12:37
Someone said that the Eldar used Zoats, they did, they used renegade Zoats as bodyguards.
Never heard of that. Fantasy Wood Elves had Zoats as powerful sorcerer allies.

Gav Thorpe claims the are quote "best forgotten" unquote.Most of Gav's contributions to 40k would fall into that category as well.

Solarc
29-05-2005, 13:05
Interesting development.

SonofAbbadon is right. Eons ago in a white dwarf there was a side piece about Zoats serving as bodyguards to Eldar, when the Eldar were pirates. I don't remember if this was a Gav thing or not. Seems to me it was before his time... More of a Rogue Trader era thing.

boogle
29-05-2005, 14:36
i don't remember Gav writing anything on Zoats at all

HiveTrygon
29-05-2005, 14:48
The Zoats were one of the more original concepts produced by GW and they canned them. IMO they should have developed it better and kept them along with the Fimir in fantasy. :rolleyes:

Now in the current dex it basicaly talks about the Zoats, just calls them something different. Slaves of the nids trying to escape end up in the imperium space getting their stone space ships blown appart. That's in splinter fleets I believe. :evilgrin:

BRING BACK THE ZOATS!

thanoson
29-05-2005, 18:15
I think it was in the book of the Astronomicon that had eldar pirates and Zoats. This also had the 1st appearance of Nazdreg in it with his "bomb" (a very spy vs spy looking bomb that said bomb on the side). Personally, I would love if the zoats came back. That would make for some great conversion and rules selections.

Hymirl
29-05-2005, 18:50
Not wanting to go off topic in a squats kind of fashion, but just who are the "Fimir?"

And yes, Zoats would be cool.

cyndre
29-05-2005, 19:00
Fimirs were lizardmen-like cyclopean monsters in Fantasy

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-05-2005, 19:05
i don't remember Gav writing anything on Zoats at all

He didn't write anything specificcally about them, but in an Eldar article, he does say that Zoats are best forgotten.

M@L@L
30-05-2005, 01:20
Just finished reading the short but sweet story by Dan Abnett entitled, "The fall of Malvolion". Still good after all this time.:D It basically tells the story of the last days of a world invaded by the nids.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm a bit iffy about the conversions in the link. A little too... Dunno just not what I expected. I posted in the first version of this thread explaining that I had done a concept sketch which I was pretty proud of and have now started to sculpt one of the "little" blighters. I don't see the Zoats as uber huge, in fact the novel space marine describes the one the fists encounter as not much taller than a marine.

I have my heart set on making an army list and there are a few things in the old fluff which will help me. My plans for the army are as follows.

HQ

0-1 Dominator (working title): This will be the big beastie which was a part of the old range. You can see a link to the pic of this model in the first version of this thread in the background forum. Basically, it looks like a huge Zoat and I was thinking of going the dragon ogre way about it and have these muthas as ancient Zoats that have developed powerful psychic abilities over the centuries. Might even have only a few of them in existence as special characters like the C'tan.

0-1 Chieftain (working title): Lower level army commander.

ELITES

Zoats: Hmmm!:D

TROOPS

Enslaved (working title): Humans under the sway of the zoat's psychic abilities.

Eldar pirate band: This is just a salute to the Zoats being part of the Eldar pirate list in the good old days. Would make sense really since the pirates aren't as common now thanks to the Dark Eldar. I'd imagine perhaps some of the more adventurous pirates or even rebellious rangers would become part of a rebel Zoat army.

FAST ATTACK

Enslaved in transports: Either Rhino or Chimera

Mounted Enslaved: Might use rough riders or make up a new unit.

Looted Imperial guard fast attack (Will not be the title:D): Sentinel squadron or Hellhound.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Looted tank: Leman Russ or Basilisk.

Anarchists (working title): I'm thinking Zoats with tank killing psychic powers but may just scrap the idea as it sounds a little too close to the Zoanthropes from the nid list.

Enslaved heavy weapon squads: Thinking about giving them the option of taking hellfire shells for any heavy bolters in the squad based on the theory that the Zoats are kinda on the run from their former masters and would use their manipulative talents to aqquire nid busting weaponary.

Well, anway, my rant is over. I'll keep you guys posted on my sculpting progress.

Brimstone
30-05-2005, 05:11
M@L@L this is the rumour forum, keep stuff like that in rules development please.

Rich
30-05-2005, 10:36
That the zoats didn't last long makes sence - they were an attempt to trick talkative races (like the Tau) into inaction to allow them to be easily assimilated by the 'nids with minimum resistance - but that approch failed completely against the xenophobic Imperium.

I would like to see the zoats return, as they were a reasonably good concept with nice models to boot. At least they have been allowed back into the fluff though.

HiveTrygon
30-05-2005, 22:55
Ok, is it official that these conversions are indeed Zoats? The pic is so small I can barely even see what they have. Could it be possible they are a chaos or big mutant conversion? I can't see if it is a VC the one is carrying or not. :eyebrows:

What about using Zoats as stand in Tyrant Guard, that's my plan. ;) As much as the new guard are improved I'm still not super fond of them.

Brimstone
31-05-2005, 05:22
Ok, is it official that these conversions are indeed Zoats? The pic is so small I can barely even see what they have. Could it be possible they are a chaos or big mutant conversion? I can't see if it is a VC the one is carrying or not. :eyebrows: .

Well Chaos/big mutants are unlikely to appear in a article on lost hive fleets.

So yes it's fairly cetain that they are Zoats but we'll have to wait for BG43 for final confirmation.

Black Mage
31-05-2005, 06:46
Well it's been theorised since the last codex, it's said to resemble the earliest forms of Ripper ecountered by the Imperium.

Deathworlds like Catachan may have undergone the first stage of assimilation by a hive fleet sending their ecosystem into overdrive.

Lost hive fleets are evidence of Tyranid hive fleets recorded before the first ecounter of hive fleet Behemoth at Tyran.

Then that would make Catachans some of the best 'Nid hunters in the Galaxy, at least on their own terms. But then, the Catachans excel at everything Jungle.

But what is the gameplay value of Zoats? What sort of unit are they?

the spook
31-05-2005, 15:40
Oh Brimmy, you get so enigmatic when get a hold of insider information...

Charax
02-06-2005, 22:04
Just one thing - if the catachan devil's a nid, dosent that kinda mess up the whole 6 limbed/two body segments/5 head plates Tyranid genotype? seeing as it has many, many limbs, hundreds of body segments, and very little in the way of a head.

boogle
02-06-2005, 22:09
it is only speculated that its a Nid, its not confirmed

Charax
02-06-2005, 22:40
Look at my post. First line, fourth word in, what is it? ("-" isnt a word)

Rabid Bunny 666
04-06-2005, 11:19
in the 'dex, there is something about 'nids being pre-set to evolve without thew hive mind, it is in the two crusade/heresy era fleets background

M@L@L
04-06-2005, 12:35
If that's true then maybe I could add some interesting new beasties to my Zoat army list. Is black gobbo only available to white dwarf subscribers? Also, will the Zoat article in the upcoming issue have an army list or any rules on them?

And finally, can anyone possibly post the stats of a Zoat as they were in rogue trader?

Brimstone
04-06-2005, 13:54
If that's true then maybe I could add some interesting new beasties to my Zoat army list. Is black gobbo only available to white dwarf subscribers? Also, will the Zoat article in the upcoming issue have an army list or any rules on them?

Black Gobbo is a e-zine published by GW US.

Black Gobbo (http://us.games-workshop.com/e-zine/issues/blackgobbo-40/default.htm)

And finally, can anyone possibly post the stats of a Zoat as they were in rogue trader?

That will be no, nobody will be posting stats even from a previous edition of 40K.

t-tauri
04-06-2005, 18:57
Not unlike a tough, intelligent, well motivated Ogryn with plenty of fairly dangerous weapon options. Think a Nid warrior with lots of biomorphs and extra wounds. That sort of dangerous large creature but with the wit to use complex technology.

TyranidTim
06-06-2005, 19:30
[QUOTE=Brimstone]OK I've already got a thread in the background forum on this subject that's been going quite nicely.

However spotted on Dakka and upcoming in Black Gobbo 43 is a article on lost Hive fleet conversions including Zoats. :D

QUOTE]

This came up on Warpshadow; here's the thread covering what's up with it:

http://forum.warpshadow.com/viewtopic.php?t=2686&sid=6f31a7699ffe720c242254f2f85bc493

There will be rules for lots of creatures you'll see in the Lost Hive Fleets article in the upcoming Black Gobbo. All were done using the Creature Feature rules for generating new flora and fauna in 40k. We had a lot of fun doing them up, and I'm painting up my two offerings right now. You'll see them all plus more they didn't have at Games Day in Black Gobbo soon, plus rules we did for them and the bitz we used to make them.

-Tim

Brimstone
06-06-2005, 21:25
Hi Tim welcome to Portent/Warseer... whatever.

Anyway I'm looking forward BG43 and these models.

Now how about harrasing the studio to get the Stealer Cult list released ASAP. :p

TyranidTim
07-06-2005, 13:40
Hi Tim welcome to Portent/Warseer... whatever.

Anyway I'm looking forward BG43 and these models.

Now how about harrasing the studio to get the Stealer Cult list released ASAP. :p

Working on it; I should be putting up a new version for Genestealer Infestation Armies to the cult yahoo group soon. I don't think anything official will be possible until the Xenos codex comes out though; they would fit that pretty well.

-Tim

M@L@L
07-06-2005, 15:42
Yo Tim. Read your stuff on warp shadow about the conversion you did using bits of dragon ogre and Khasrak (whatever) the stalker. Sounds like a pretty cool conversion but It also sounds a little big. No offence intended there. I'm currently sculpting my own Zoat which I'll post pics of when it's finished. The fact that you guys are doing rules for them has made me a very happy chappy as it means I don't have to write any of my own.:D

My Zoat is close to the old ones but a little bigger, about warrior hight but a length which means it can still fit on the 40mm (if that's the right measurement) diameter base. Like you said on warp shadow you wanted to make them less niddy so I'm making sure to include as few nid like qualities as possible. Though it's head will bare a crest of five horns of varying lengths. Anyhoo, I hope this post hasn't broken any rules as it probably sounds more like something for the painting and moddeling forum. Is it cool Brimmy?

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 17:58
Anyhoo, I hope this post hasn't broken any rules as it probably sounds more like something for the painting and moddeling forum. Is it cool Brimmy?

Yeah I'd be worried. Brim comes down onnthis kind of thing like a ton of bricks. Not only will he ban you, but probably haul your ass to jail as well. :rolleyes: :D

On a more topic-related note, I can't wait for the Zoats! The old ones were pretty cool, and updated conversions for them should be cool.

Brimstone
08-06-2005, 13:00
Yeah I'd be worried. Brim comes down onnthis kind of thing like a ton of bricks. Not only will he ban you, but probably haul your ass to jail as well. :rolleyes: :D

Only if I'm in a bad mood. :evilgrin:

Seriously though we I can understand the enthusiasm but we do have other forums more appropriate for that sort of stuff.

Still Zoats though. :D I can't wait, loved em since I read Space Marine although they don't really fit into the current Tyranid background having them as a retro option is a damn good idea.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 00:00
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/extras/evolution/2.htm look on bottom right, theres a painted zoat alng with genestealer patriarch

Inquis. Jaeger
09-06-2005, 00:11
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/extras/evolution/2.htm look on bottom right, theres a painted zoat alng with genestealer patriarch

Yes, we all saw that. Hopefully the new BG minis will look a little better than that.

75hastings69
11-06-2005, 06:29
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/evolution/3/ here is a link to the UK site, stating that Zoats are extinct. Shame as i have a few to sell on ebay.

charlie_c67
11-06-2005, 22:05
Pop them on anyway! Interesting how they got put in the elite section....

Rabid Bunny 666
11-06-2005, 22:28
maybe a hint of the lost hive fleet?

Inquis. Jaeger
11-06-2005, 23:06
maybe a hint of the lost hive fleet?

That was some very interesting background in the Nid Codex. The 'stone' ships encountered near Colossus was really good.

Rabid Bunny 666
11-06-2005, 23:12
it is, i like the whole idea of them being around during the crusade, should have tested the ultrasmurfs on 'em :evilgrin:

and in the UK WD when catchans were released, there were rules for catchan plants, one called the canak floater, which was a HUGE spore mine in looks and effect, so catchan is probably a world infested by 'nids before they were driven off, or catchan was left behind

ghost21
12-06-2005, 00:27
hopefully if they do stuff on lost fleets it might answer some of the
tyranid origins prehaps?

Inquis. Jaeger
12-06-2005, 00:58
Well the new Nid codex does theorise that most Jungle Deathworlds are worlds that were invaded by the initial tendrils of the Hive Fleets, then were beaten off, with the native eco-system sent into overdrive by Tyranid gene-commands and creatures such as the Catachan Devil evolving from Rippers indepentely of the Hive Mind, showing a predeliction for survival and evolution.

neXus6
12-06-2005, 01:01
I can survive them being an evolved vertion of stranded 'nids, as long as they now have no contact with the hive mind of any kind. That would be rubbish, a hive fleet pops up near catachan and suddenly waves of "organised" Devils start attacking things. :p