PDA

View Full Version : 40K Heat 1?

Lavfluris
10-03-2006, 22:47
Although it seems months away, there is already a lot of talk about entering the 40K Heat 1, so I thought a thread dedicated to this event was in order.

I myself will be attending the 40K Heat 1. This will be my first official GW event bar last year's Conflict Bristol, so no doubt Iíll do terribly bad or shock myself and do terribly well. Ah well, losing ainít so bad, it gives me a lot to talk about. ;)

Anyway, excluding my usual inability to finish any army project, I will be building a new SM army especially for Heat 1. A thread about this new army of min can be found here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26689) for those who are interested. All being well, I will be buying the first purchases at Carnage at the end of the month.

I was wondering who is going to attend and what they are thinking of bringing?

Rik Valdis
10-03-2006, 23:24
I'm going to take my necrons to one of the three heats. Not sure which one yet though, haven't bothered to look up when the heats are. I expect I'll be taking my necrons (Lord, 10 immortals, 36 warriors, 6 destroyers and some scarabs-monoliths are for girls, number of shots is the way to go). I'm not expecting to place that highly but I figure it'll be fun to have a go.

Insane Psychopath
11-03-2006, 07:13
Yes I will be attending. Just it the best time for me due to college, just the October holidays should be right after... while the other heats in Nov will be that the end of block one & start of block two meaning I got hand in all work from block one handed in if I want to past.

I am bring my Iron Warriors, but changin the list a bit from last year... so right now it still going throught some testing, also need to edit my army background to show my new Lt now. Just look out for the Crusifed Ultramrine on the front of my Predators (1 out of the 4).

Lavfluris: In all honsty I would not take Rhinos, that 116 point of none scroing squads, you could maybe get some Scouts with Sniper Rifles... also add inh that trait that give squads the Inflty skill. Apart from that it look all right. Have you thought of a name & colour for this new chapter???

My goals are: to have fun, make top 50 & maybe be among the few for best painted. Just I like tournament & it would be great to go to the finials.

Well guess I will see you lot there.

IP

WanderingRogue
11-03-2006, 07:46
Keep the rhinos lav - were going for fun primarily?

If my AL perform well at carnage i'll be tempted to take them. But like you im gonna pick up some stuff at carnage and start a new army purpose built for the heats- my sisters of battle - again designed to be competitive, but not taken to the point of following "beard" criteria for chosing units (by that i mean my list will not look like anything Edwin would come up with - it may actually include so called "sub par" units:eek: ) - but sod it, im gonna have fun.

I also thing that sticking to armys that dont conform might actually throw a curve ball to all those who have designed lists to combat the more "popular" IW, ulthwe and such.

Im going lav, sorry to go on.

p&t will have a thread soon for my sisters.

gary

Fallen Angel
11-03-2006, 09:45
i think the majority of Flame On are going to Heat 1 this year (all 20 of us probably) - you can judge whether thats a good or bad thing at Carnage!!

As for army, it'll either be my BA or my Eldar air cavalry.

Insane Psychopath
11-03-2006, 11:10
I'm still seeing who atteding from my GW. Hopeful my friend Jonathen come as he got a really cool Ork army. It Blood Axe & there theme around Cadains, really nice converted army & the Warboss look like Creed.

So guess see you all there.

IP

squigsnok
11-03-2006, 15:50
Not 100% sure when i'll will be goin this year yet, but work commitments for some of the guys mean it probably will be heat 1. That'll probly fit in better for me too, as the major work for uni doesn't kick off till the second half of the summester (i hope!)

Not sure what i'll be taking either. I'm pondering some evil ponderings of evilness, with some kind of black legion force a strong possibility. The problem i'm gonna find is how to get it done on time. If we are indeed goin to heat 1 then i'll be losing a fair few weeks of painting time, and i'm not exactly going to rush the painting just to get it done. If the evil ponderings dont turn into the evil army, it'll be my Dark Angels again. They got me through to the finals this year, and my orks are on hiatus until the new codex comes out in a hundred years or so...:rolleyes:

Whatever happens it's bound to be a good weekend. Its a good laugh, and with any luck the bar staff will remember i'm still over 18 next time and I won't get ID'd again when i'm trying to get beer.... :(

Oberon
11-03-2006, 15:56
I got the idea that GT finals were very competetive, is it like that in the Heats too? "Pilgrimage" to Nottingham might be nice, but it's all about the athmosphere and attitudes. If I don't get another 40k army by then, it will be DH for me.

lonepilgrim
11-03-2006, 16:17
I'm planning on taking my Radical Daemonhunters to Heat 1. This will be my first major tournament (although I have played 3 minor tournaments at Warhammer World before). I want to compete for best army, qualify for the finals and check out other players armies and lists. If all goes well and I enjoy it, I want to enter more tournaments across the year.

Lavfluris
11-03-2006, 17:27
In all honsty I would not take Rhinos, that 116 point of none scroing squads, you could maybe get some Scouts with Sniper Rifles... also add inh that trait that give squads the Inflty skill.I will think about it.

Have you thought of a name & colour for this new chapter???Yes, the army is the Sons of Pertinaxís 4th Company, who have taken the Chapterís penance into their own hands and have launched a crusade quite separate from the other parts of this factionist Chapter.

Here are the Sons of Pertinax:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/pertinax/sop.jpg

WarSeerís Pertinax created the Chapter, and we have both been working on new background material that replaces the background material in the above scan. I may eventually write Index Astartes: Sons of Pertinax, but that could be some time off yet.

Keep the rhinos lav - were going for fun primarily?Hell yeah.

I also thing that sticking to armys that dont conform might actually throw a curve ball to all those who have designed lists to combat the more "popular" IW, ulthwe and such.Try a Kroot Mercenary army. With enough models, the Chameleon adaptation and the Hyperactive Nymune Organ Adaptation, you may well get something into assault. ;)

Its a good laugh, and with any luck the bar staff will remember i'm still over 18 next time and I won't get ID'd again when i'm trying to get beer.... :(That happened to me once. Iím fine with being IDíd, but the two other guys I was with at the time were under age yet were no IDíd. Am I really that young looking? :p

Reinnon
11-03-2006, 17:57
i'm considering going with the Knights of Machina space marine list, which is currently going through a small rethink.

my thousand sons (as i promised) are going on the shelf for now

Brother Edwin
11-03-2006, 17:59
I will be there at one of the heats with eldar.

And yes I will be signing auto-graphs.

immortal99
11-03-2006, 18:03
WarSeerís Pertinax created the Chapter,

I have been meaning to PM him for ages about that, I wondered if they were his. His username being pertinax and all...

Insane Psychopath
11-03-2006, 18:03
Lavfluris: Yes I rememeber the chapter from the White Dwarf & got say it is really cool, well done Pertinax.

My army is all done painting/model wise since it the army I use last year but as said there a few new things which are going throught testing.

I just need to edit my army background once the finial list is made, also need to make a new drawing for my front cover. Just I like having a drawing, the one I got is of my Warsmith before he was a Daemon Prince, if I do take the Lt/ my warsmith "protege" then I want to have the drawing of him with the kai gun morphing out his arm.

IP

Xavier
11-03-2006, 19:55
Ill be there, same heat as IP, (which aparently is heat 1) so woo..

Insane Psychopath
11-03-2006, 19:58
Xavier: Have you got your army planned??? Also anyone from your GW going as well???

IP

Lavfluris
11-03-2006, 21:08
i'm considering going with the Knights of Machina space marine list, which is currently going through a small rethink.Still having problems with the Techmarines?

Isambard
12-03-2006, 07:06
I am trying to get a group to go together from Finland. It looks like it might cost Ä300 to Ä400 euros, tickets, flights, transport and accomodation all included.

But it would be cool :)

squigsnok
14-03-2006, 00:10
I got the idea that GT finals were very competetive, is it like that in the Heats

Actually I found the finals to be less competetive than the heats. In the heats everyone seems to want to qualify for the finals, and in the last game or so you can get some deeply suspect gamers around the mid-tables trying to get into the top third in time. In the finals there's only the top 3 places to play for, and most people realise theyre never going to get to those heady hights and settle in for some good games. Of couse, Brother Edwin continues to delude himself... ;)

But if you manage to avoid the stench of cheddar coming from some of the armies and go with the intent of having fun (which to be honest, the majority of us do) it's a good weekend. I certainly enjoy it, and I doubt there'd be enough people to fill 3 heats if others weren't enjoying it too.

Col.Gravis
14-03-2006, 20:56
Well it would'nt be traditional if I did'nt take the Praets to one heat, not sure which yet tho lol

Lardidar
14-03-2006, 22:06
It may just be the first outing for my Deathwing, Depending on cash flow at the time.

Brother Edwin
15-03-2006, 09:53
Of couse, Brother Edwin continues to delude himself... ;)

Sure. And thats why I'm takeing daemonhunters:rolleyes: (which I still wager I will do better than the rest of you lot with;) )

WanderingRogue
15-03-2006, 10:26
So tempted to take a twinkked* out list just to wipe the smug satisfaction from his face - but get the funny feeling BE likes the abuse, other wise why would he still be such an annoying goon. Even lab mice learn simple cause and effect. Did your mother not hold you as a baby?

No gary, chill, take your sisters as you planned (but i do have the khorne deamon bomb on standby....??!!)

*just in case its not understood - i had a beardy deamon prince for my AL named twinkky which was v nasty - every one mocked though and called him alphalegimon cos he looked like a big pokemon apparently:cries: - he got chopped up in to other stuff. But "twinkked" stuck as "beardy" among my mates.

Brother Edwin
15-03-2006, 10:34
So tempted to take a twinkked* out list just to wipe the smug satisfaction from his face - but get the funny feeling BE likes the abuse, other wise why would he still be such an annoying goon. Even lab mice learn simple cause and effect. Did your mother not hold you as a baby?

No gary, chill, take your sisters as you planned (but i do have the khorne deamon bomb on standby....??!!)

*just in case its not understood - i had a beardy deamon prince for my AL named twinkky which was v nasty - every one mocked though and called him alphalegimon cos he looked like a big pokemon apparently:cries: - he got chopped up in to other stuff. But "twinkked" stuck as "beardy" among my mates.

Bah, bring your list, daemon bomb or whatever. My daemonhunters will handle you.(and if they dont I can just claim I was useing daemonhunters ;))

Danger Rat
15-03-2006, 10:39
Im planning to go to a 40k heat for the first time this year not sure whether it will be heat 1 or not. I can't decide whether to take my blood angels or my black legion, decisions decisions

Insane Psychopath
15-03-2006, 11:43
Daemon Hunter part: Daemon Hunter army can be alright army & can work, but it depending on the player, as said in another topic someone could have the best army list around yet they can suck because they do not know how to use it right. Never underesamint (sp?) someone due to a army. I got plans for a powerful Daemon Hunter army for 2007 (got other armies like Black Legion, Eldar, Orks)

But back on topic: Remind you lot, ticket on sale 8/7/06, bascily fsecond Sat of July.

I've been testing out my new Iron Warriors list & it working ok, just shame yesterday my Launcher keep missing for 6 turn & my Kai gun Lt did nothing.

IP

Toastee
15-03-2006, 15:43
I want to go tot hte first heat, but my pal might not be able to make it this time :(

But depending on what I have at the end of the year, I might have to go to it anyway. So I'm still undecided on what heat I'll be going too, but I'm hoping it'll be the 1st though.

Insane Psychopath
15-03-2006, 15:57
Toastee: Will you be useing the new Tau or your Space Marines in the heats?? Also what everone you are going to just send a e-mail. Should be same as last 2x heats.

Be cool have kind of meet up with people from the site :D

IP

Toastee
15-03-2006, 18:00
IP: With any luck, it'll be the Tau....I know theres loads of time...but I've fallen into that trap befpre XD lol

The marines I can use, but after Carnage the'll be going to be the second army for a while. Get a chance to play with something else other than marines. Its not that I've gotten bored of playing with them...just want somethine different.

Lavfluris
15-03-2006, 18:10
Well it would'nt be traditional if I did'nt take the Praets to one heat, not sure which yet tho lolHeat One, my boy, Heat One. You know it makes sense as I'll not be at quasi-Conflict Bristol. ;)

Insane Psychopath
15-03-2006, 18:11
That cool, also you get to use the brand new Codex :D

So how is everone armies, have you start building & painting them yet or even gaming with them. My army only needed a few new models added in, it full converted & I'm trying give my squads a little theme, also got some studded pads make them but pre-heresy but still chaos.

Toastee: I sent you a e-mail with my IW army photo on them, but still unsure on HQ that the min.

IP

squigsnok
16-03-2006, 11:25
My army is currently stuck in the "planning stage" at the moment. What that basically means is there's a pile codexes sitting on my desk surrounded by many pieces of paper with various scribbles and numbers on, along with a few conversion concept doodles. I have no idea what it is i want to take anymore, and i have no idea what the army is gonna contain.

There's been ponderings of a black legion-ny thing, but i cant get a usable list goin yet. I keep coming up with too few troops for my liking (i like solid blocks of infantry, see) and if i go for the amount of troops i want i'll get massacred coz they'll have no support.

Another pondering revolved around a drop troop Guard force. All kinda funky conversions to do there, what with the new (hideously expensive) forgeword heads and stuff. But my problem there was I REALLY cant bring myself to paint another hoard army.

I'm also thinking new tau coz the stealths and FW battle suits are kool. There just doesnt seem to be as many conversion opportunities with them tho.

And then the other option is to update my DA's from this year, make them a lil more competetive, and send them into the fray again. It's a good plan, saves me money and frees up some spare time over the summer, but i would like to get a new army goin. Just because my DAs were sort of planned as the army they are, with the background and everything, and i've never really been inspired to add to them. Hopefully a new army would be a "continuing project" thing. I dunno.

I know for certain i wont be takin my orks. Although they have represented me for many a year at the GT's until my DA's took over this year, I just cant justify myself buying new stuff for the army when i know that the codex is coming. Sometime. Possibly even within the decade. I've seen the concept art and the new kommandos and whatnot, and dont wanna buy anything new till I know it isnt gonna look rubbish next to the shiney new stuff.

Anyway, when i decide upon a basic idea i'll let you know. Just know i'll be there. Hopefully. With an army of some description. Hopefully. And it might even be painted. Hopefully.

Insane Psychopath
15-04-2006, 09:04
Hi

For those attending the UK GT heats this year, just to point out there going to be a FQA. Just thing's like

A land speeder that deep strike count as moving the full 24 inch & there for, may not shoot.

Just things like that & the rule pack come out in May.

My chosen army. The new models are getting on.. mind there where only a handful. Just look out for a Pred with the Crusifed Ultrmarine on it & that'll be me. I think I may stick to my Daemon Prince, but I'll test game during the summer.

Well see who ever attending Heat 1 then.

IP

Wonderdog
18-04-2006, 23:27
You'll need to zap me a copy of your army list to have a ponder over IP...

You do know how much I like finding ways to pay you back for that dreadnought incident. Gimp.

Got anythin that ignores invunerable saves in there btw? Is it still heavy weapons and shooty vehicle heavy?

#Wonderdog

Insane Psychopath
19-04-2006, 07:02
Wonderdog: Now that would be telling, you should pop into GW Glasgow again on Vet night as it been a while.

You do know how much I like finding ways to pay you back for that dreadnought incident. Gimp.

Yep that Templar model with the Jump Pack/Bolt Pistol is now on display :D

IP

Danger Rat
24-04-2006, 11:21
Im planning to go to a 40k heat for the first time this year not sure whether it will be heat 1 or not. I can't decide whether to take my blood angels or my black legion, decisions decisions

In a complete change of direction having just started a tau army I will hopefully be taking them to heat 1 and hopefully won't get to badly beaten up.

TheDeadBaron
24-04-2006, 21:58
Just a quick heads up guys. After a discussion with Brian Anderson today some armies will no longer be valid for this years GT Season (ie heats and final).

These are:

Codex Eye of Terror, so no LaTD, 13th Company or Strike Force,
Codex Armageddon, so no Speed Freaks
Codex Craftworld Eldar, so goodbye to huge Seer Councils, or Pathfinder and 3 Wraith Lord armies etc.

TBH this doesnt really come as much of a surprise following what happened with Storm of Chaos in Fantasy. Armageddon only has 1 army still valid (Speed Freaks), and half the armies in EoT will be out of date (see next point). As for Codex Craftworld, my understanding of this is that with the new Codex Eldar on the horizon (ie mid season) this will not be valid and so for uniformity across the entire season only armies from Codex Eldar will be permitted.

TheBaron

Lardidar
24-04-2006, 22:11
I also heard this in York from the staff, I threw it away as piffle but maybe it's not.

Rik Valdis
24-04-2006, 22:34
BAh there goes the plan of taking LatD. Still, I'm still looking to sell a kidney as I'll need the army in time for the Carnage social and this is looking to cost me several hundred more than I have. If anyone knows somewhere I can sell a kidney then pm me.

squigsnok
26-04-2006, 01:38
Just a quick heads up guys. After a discussion with Brian Anderson today some armies will no longer be valid for this years GT Season (ie heats and final).

These are:

Codex Eye of Terror, so no LaTD, 13th Company or Strike Force,
Codex Armageddon, so no Speed Freaks
Codex Craftworld Eldar, so goodbye to huge Seer Councils, or Pathfinder and 3 Wraith Lord armies etc.

What? So theyve dropped 1 of the 2 first-choice options of the power gamer armies (ulthwe)? Thats hilarious! Now, this could go one of two ways. Either there'll be more variety in the top end armies now (woo!) or there'll be 100 4ordnance weapon Iron Warriors armies there...

I must say i'm rather upset that LatD and 13th company have been dropped. Some of the most interesting games i played at the GT's were left-field armies like that. I can see why they did it, following what they did with fantasy, but... well... i like mutant armies.

I am a little confused as to why they would drop craftworld eldar. EoT and Armageddon were campaign books, yes, but craftworld was a mini codex in itself ala Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Blood Angels. And if rumours are to be believed the new Eldar codex wont arrive intime to be be made "tournament legal" for the heats. I think its a 1 month cut off to allow players to get used to playing with and against the list. I would expect them to do what they did when the marines were released and say "for the final, the updated Codex Eldar will be used".

I'm gonna wait to see what the rules pack has to say when it goes up before i make any firm judgements on it though. It could all change before then.

Insane Psychopath
26-04-2006, 07:06
I'd say the Eldar one would be for the finials onwards, with the new codex being out before heat 2.

I say wait until the rule pack come out as there been a few other info said that I'd rather wait & see for myself.

IP

Lavfluris
26-04-2006, 08:03
I am a little confused as to why they would drop craftworld eldar.I think the decision was made to limit power gaming and to prevent certain issues that occur when the next Codex: Eldar arrives. Unlike Codex: Space Marines and it's sub-Codexes, the new Codex: Eldar is not expected to work with Codex: Craftworld Eldar.

It's also easier to refer to Codex: Eldar in the Rules Pack as that counts for both versions, rather than having a little footnote about Codex: Craftworld Eldar and when you can use it.

That's all I can gleam from the decision.

squigsnok
26-04-2006, 14:41
I think the decision was made to limit power gaming...

You mean because pretty much 99% of all of the feedback forms for the final last year mentioned something about 60 man seer councils? :D

Konrad_Curze II
26-04-2006, 14:53
depending on the date heat 1 is on i might enter it this year...
probably take my night lords as they'll have the best chance of getting through to the final.
might get to play some of ya there ;)

Insane Psychopath
26-04-2006, 16:51
Konrad_Curze II: Heat 1 is in October 14/15th.
Yeah Night Lords are good... with there +1 cover save... if your oppnet agree to anything 3+ your laughting your way :p

So that now make it 7 Chaos players, 6 Marines, 2 Guards, 2 Tau, 1 Necrone, 2 Daemon Hunters, 1 Sob, so far for the armies front.

IP

squigsnok
26-04-2006, 20:44
So that now make it 7 Chaos players, 6 Marines, 2 Guards, 2 Tau, 1 Necrone, 2 Daemon Hunters, 1 Sob, so far for the armies front.

IP

No offence guys, but i'm a student and i'm usually skint. There is no way i'm buyin the first round. 21 pints could very well bankrupt me :D

Lavfluris
26-04-2006, 20:45
There is no way i'm buyin the first round :DBe selective.

You only need buy me a drink.

squigsnok
26-04-2006, 22:34
Be selective.

You only need buy me a drink.

But then that wouldnt be fair on the others would it. And i know how important fairness is to you Lavfluris. And i definately wouldnt want to disregard your morals, would I? ;)

In other tournament news, i'm doing my first mail order for the army by the end of the week (i have a student loan instalment and i'm not afraid to use it). So (shock, horror) I may get the first model done by the end of next month. If i can be bothered that is. I have till october, and there's always time to paint in the hotel room the night before...

Lavfluris
27-04-2006, 10:35
And i know how important fairness is to you Lavfluris.:confused:

In other tournament news, i'm doing my first mail order for the army by the end of the week (i have a student loan instalment and i'm not afraid to use it).What army are you collecting?

Anathema
27-04-2006, 10:50
As for Codex Craftworld, my understanding of this is that with the new Codex Eldar on the horizon (ie mid season) this will not be valid and so for uniformity across the entire season only armies from Codex Eldar will be permitted.

That is utter rubbish. If that were true, then they should outright disallow all Eldar lists as the Codex and lists for all will change drastically when the new codex is released. If they don't change drastically, why not allow them? They allowed Templars last year, so its wrong to disallow the Craftworld Options, especially as they're official codex choices that have been around for years anyway. There will be no uniformity across the season anyway as you can bet your **** anyone who gets the final with Eldar will change their list to use the new codex, and in most cases probebly to revert back to their old craftworld anyway. I know I will go back to Biel-Tan if I qualify. Same goes for EoT, the lists in there certainly aren't overpowered, work in 4th ed, whats the problem?

So basically, because of Ulthwe and Alaitoc, the 3 others get nerfed. Fantastic. Can anyone suggest to me an overpowered Biel-Tan, Saim-Hann and Iyanden list?

So it just means that IW will be the army of choice for everyone. Fantastic. So, more homogeneity and net.lists at the GT than ever before.

Wonderdog
27-04-2006, 10:50
Yay! My army has arrived! Wooooooo!

Now to build/paint it... sigh....

I reckon I'll probably have one of the only armies at the heats DESPERATE to play shooty iron warriors, ordenance heavy guard, seer councils of death, and alpha legion infiltrator death armies! Yay!

#Wonderdog

squigsnok
27-04-2006, 11:55
What army are you collecting?

Planning on a heresy-era (possibly true-scaled) Sons of Horus army. Siege of the Emperors Palace kinda time, to be exact. Thats a theme and a half, no?

Mk4 plate and the Eye of Horus all round. Also, some custom built daemonic siege engines (count as defilers) and some other top secret stuff that you'll probly see later.

I'll hopefully be starting a project log when my uni exams finish in 3 weeks. If i can get hold of a digicam that is. That might give me some incentive to actually get on with the construction and painting, see.

'Course, if it dont look like its gonna be finished in time, i'll revert back to my Dark Angels and take the chaos to the finals. I aint gonna be rushing this army, coz i want it to look good. I doubt i'll get anything near a best painted army nod, but i still want to put the effort in, which my orks didnt get coz i just wanted the damn horde finished :D

I reckon I'll probably have one of the only armies at the heats DESPERATE to play shooty iron warriors, ordenance heavy guard, seer councils of death, and alpha legion infiltrator death armies! Yay!

Well... care to enlighten us mere mortals who get annoyed when they play 3 IW players in a row?

Wonderdog
27-04-2006, 12:19
Nah, that would be telling! It arrived in a big box this morning... looking forward to breaking out the sidecutters and glue when I get home :D

Tell you what... I'll give Insane Psychopath (with his iron warriors'o'gayness) a game next tuesday, and he can let you know how it goes! - though he's under strict instructions not to reveal my exact list.

#Wonderdog

Lavfluris
27-04-2006, 14:54
Well... care to enlighten us mere mortals who get annoyed when they play 3 IW players in a row?A Necron army that consists almost entirely of Destroyers and Monoliths would both perform well and be easily asembled before Wonderdog's game on Tuesday.

It probably isn't though, but I like guessing. ;)

Anathema
27-04-2006, 15:09
My moneys on webway portal wych bomb with more dark lances and disintegrators than you can shake a stick at. IW hate them.

Imus
27-04-2006, 20:03
I shall be attending with a tau mech army. I think that for heats the orginal eldar rules will be used then the new ones for the final like they did last year with the new edition of the 40k rules.

Insane Psychopath
27-04-2006, 20:13
Wonderdog: Aye Phil... I have improve quite a bit since last time I fought you. I recently took on a past Conflict Champ about two weeks ago :D

The Eldar issue: Right a few people are getting in a tissy. Codex Crafted worlds WILL be use in the Heats as there new codex will not be out. It is when the finials are that they will be no longer of any use. It like Space Marines back in 2004-2005 there old codex was use in the Heats & new one in the Finials.

IP

Insane Psychopath
27-04-2006, 20:15
Sorry for double post folks

Lavfluris Quote:
Originally Posted by squigsnok
Well... care to enlighten us mere mortals who get annoyed when they play 3 IW players in a row?

A Necron army that consists almost entirely of Destroyers and Monoliths would both perform well and be easily asembled before Wonderdog's game on Tuesday.

It probably isn't though, but I like guessing

Nope your way off. But as said I am not allowed to talk about Wonderdog army. How ever I do get to keep going "I knwo somthing you don't know" :p

Lavfluris
28-04-2006, 00:29
How ever I do get to keep going "I knwo somthing you don't know" :pUntil people stop caring as he is one player out of one hundred and twenty and the chances of playing him are slim. ;)

Damn, I think fate will sting me in the butt now...

squigsnok
28-04-2006, 01:16
...shooty iron warriors, ordenance heavy guard, seer councils of death, and alpha legion infiltrator death armies...

I'll point out my army doesnt resemble any of them. So i'll be quietly confident that my <<CLASSIFIED>>s will be able to <<CLASSIFIED>> your <<CLASSIFIED>>s to shreds. :rolleyes:

To be honest i dont see why people are so secretive about their tournament armies. I'm willing to trust no-one will steal the exact list (and who'd want to steal mine?:D ). And even then, it's still based on your opponents and how you can use your army more than anything else.

One of my opponents late-on in the final was using a 4 ordnance weapon / 9obliterator Iw army. He told me at the start of the game he was annoyed he was only mid-table, because "the army is designed to be evil. It's designed just to win. That's the theme: to win". He was one of "those" players. He spent the whole game picking everything.
But it became obvious why he was mid-table. Although he could rip seven shades of the proverbial out of your army, he never finished off squads. He left them at half strength and moved onto another unit. He took foolish gambles with expensive parts of his army, walking a daemon prince infront of 5 plasma guns was one. Even with the hideous luck i endured the for whole game (infact i was plagued with ill-fortune the whole weekend) I still managed a draw. :p

Personally, i'll be posting my list up in about a month, like i do every year. You never know the hidden flaws unless you ask existing players. I very nearly took Fear Of The Darkness on my Libby last year, and it was only a last minute "take Fury o t' Ancients" from a vocal minority that caused a re-think and, ultimately, 6 dead land speeders and a blown up basilisk at the event.

But then it's your army. If you want it kept away from the net, then that's your decision. Unless you're planning something spectacularly beardy and you dont wanna get fish-slapped in advance that is...:D

Insane Psychopath
28-04-2006, 06:09
Lavfluris: But Lav I know Wonderdog, know him since I was 5 year old.

IP

Wonderdog
28-04-2006, 10:18
I think that one of the failings of many of the "I'm here to be evil and win" armies/players is that they dont read the damn missions :D They barrel in, hoping to annihalate the opposition quickly. I always place well in tournaments, without the need to boost my armies to "da max".

My theory is that people forget that 50% of tournament games will be played using special scenarion rules, escalation concealment, etc can make a major difference to the outcome of a game between an interesting force and an IW death force...

It surprises many folk who dont know me all that well to hear that I go to tournies for a laugh, not specifically to win... god, I took Deathwing (pre-DA revision) to the first Scottish Conflict - madness... though I still massacred 2 guys - then pissed off early to the pub to watch the scottish cup final!

I don't go to win... I go to _stop_ the hardened powergamers winning... the satisfaction of hamstringing a smug "omg my army is da roxr!" opponent in round 4 by playing well and fair, is the greatest feeling in the world :D

My advice? build a force designed to work well in the context of the mission conditions, rather than to wipe the enemy off the board turn 2.

Of course, if it can do both.... your onto a winner!

#wonderdog

ninjahamster
28-04-2006, 10:27
I should be there, Dunno what i'm taking yet, maybe my Word Bearers, maybe my Stealer Cult if it gets ready in time.

Danger Rat
28-04-2006, 11:03
I think that one of the failings of many of the "I'm here to be evil and win" armies/players is that they dont read the damn missions :D They barrel in, hoping to annihalate the opposition quickly. I always place well in tournaments, without the need to boost my armies to "da max".

My theory is that people forget that 50% of tournament games will be played using special scenarion rules, escalation concealment, etc can make a major difference to the outcome of a game between an interesting force and an IW death force...

It surprises many folk who dont know me all that well to hear that I go to tournies for a laugh, not specifically to win... god, I took Deathwing (pre-DA revision) to the first Scottish Conflict - madness... though I still massacred 2 guys - then pissed off early to the pub to watch the scottish cup final!

I don't go to win... I go to _stop_ the hardened powergamers winning... the satisfaction of hamstringing a smug "omg my army is da roxr!" opponent in round 4 by playing well and fair, is the greatest feeling in the world :D

My advice? build a force designed to work well in the context of the mission conditions, rather than to wipe the enemy off the board turn 2.

Of course, if it can do both.... your onto a winner!

#wonderdog

Couldn't agree more with wonderdog whether my balanced tau army troubles the scorer's or not remains to be seen :D Once ive got my copy of the new tau codex i'll be posting my proposed list.

Lavfluris
28-04-2006, 21:29
Lavfluris: But Lav I know Wonderdog, know him since I was 5 year old.That nice to know.

I was just pointing out that people should realise that Wonderdog is one player among one hundred and twenty, so the chances of playing him are small. It is therefore not greatly important to know what he is using, as we are unlikely to be teamed up with him.

I do think fate will sting me in the butt and pair me with him, but see. ;)

squigsnok
28-04-2006, 21:58
I do think fate will sting me in the butt and pair me with him, but see. ;)

Well the lords of fate laugh long and hard at 1 in 6 odds, as anyone who's ever said "anything but a 1" will testify. I wouldnt put it past em to pair you up game 1...

Wonderdog
29-04-2006, 01:45
Yeh, don't tempt fate... many a GT "top 3 hopeful" has had thier hopes bruatlly dashed by an unfortunate matchup (24 to 1 against chance btw...) agaisnt the worlds jammiest 40k player... i.e. me :D

#Wonderdog

Insane Psychopath
29-04-2006, 07:29
agaisnt the worlds jammiest 40k player... i.e. me

I seem to rememeber it a bit diffrent Phil

+ Destroying YOUR Dreadnought with my ONE bolt pistol shot in the rear at the Scottish Conflict in 2003, which BTW is still a story going around :D
+ against your Templars back when you where getting ready for GT heat 3, 2004
+ The amount of 5+ inv Save I can make
+ My abilty to be spot on or right where I need to be with Deep Striking

There is also Blacky with his dice rolling as well.

Need I say any more :angel:

IP

Wonderdog
29-04-2006, 12:13
+ Destroying YOUR Dreadnought with my ONE bolt pistol shot in the rear at the Scottish Conflict in 2003, which BTW is still a story going around :D
- Yeh, everyone gets lucky once yah punk! Though I seem to recall his 2 mates decimating the rest of your army (to a man!)... I think I lost more guys to overheating plasma than you actually killed :D

- Is that that game where you simply could not for the love of god hit my landraider, and it wasted 3 of yer dreads? :-D

+ The amount of 5+ inv Save I can make
- This is true... pity about all the 3+ saves you cant ;-)

+ My abilty to be spot on or right where I need to be with Deep Striking
- Yes... right into rapid fire range! Mwahahahahahahha!

+ There is also Blacky with his dice rolling as well.
- Yes, but he is in league with the ruinous powers

;)

#Wonderdog

Insane Psychopath
29-04-2006, 12:17
- Is that that game where you simply could not for the love of god hit my landraider, and it wasted 3 of yer dreads? :-D

Nope, this is when you fought my Iron Warriors, my DP slaughter your champion in close combat :angel:

How everone getting on with there GT armies??? I just got my background done last night, everthing pretty much done with mean less stress near the event :D & mean no forget anything, like my first GT where I left my army list/background that home :mad:

IP

stormtrooper154
29-04-2006, 15:49
My marine army had gone back to the drawing board, but im happy to announce work has restarted. A new theme, a new colourscheme and a new background. Hopefully the War Hawks will be there.......

And if that fails, I can always use the godzilla nids for a bit of fun :)

squigsnok
29-04-2006, 16:02
agaisnt the worlds jammiest 40k player... i.e. me :D

#Wonderdog

... sorry man, but when i break out the orks i am officially the jammiest player in the entire world. Admittedly my marines are sadly lacking in the jam department. Maybe i should up their cheese to compensate?

As far as my army goes, i'm still waitin to do the order (damn uni work) but it should be sorted by t end of next week. That way when i finish uni on the 17th i'll have the stuff all waiting for me, and 4 months off to paint it.:D

Xavier
29-04-2006, 16:02
I cant decide what army I want to take, so.. thats a no.

Plus im getting ready for conflict at the moment and have not really turned my sights to the GT yet.

Anathema
29-04-2006, 16:15
My lists been decided since I tweaked it a few weeks after the final. I just need to paint up another squad of Warp Spiders and the second Falcon and its done. :D Mind you thats assuming there's no major changes in this seasons rulepack. The good thing is I've haven't got anything that is affected if they stick Alpha missions in there, the only thing that would screw me is if they got rid of the Craftworld lists. Then I would be majorly pissed off.:mad:

Xavier
29-04-2006, 16:39
They wont add alpha missions since they dont use the victory points special rule. Unless they add that of course.

Pertinax
29-04-2006, 16:42
They did with the Dutch GT's. And it worked very well too!

Insane Psychopath
29-04-2006, 17:26
I am with Xavier on Alpha mission. Just the lack of Inflty & Deep strike would take away a great challege in my eyes. Say you fought Alpha Legion or Drop Troop Guards & find it away fun fighting them & make me think a bit more with deploment. Also with VP as well

But I would also say wait until the GT rule pack come out (in May)

the only thing that would screw me is if they got rid of the Craftworld lists.

As said in another post of mine. I highly dout Craft world will be taken away in the Heats. BUT in the finials codex Eldar (new one) WILL be out & ready to use making crated world no longer of need, like the Space Marine codex was in 2004-2005 GT season.

That way when i finish uni on the 17th i'll have the stuff all waiting for me, and 4 months off to paint it.

Squig, I'll be holding you to this "painting" a army in time for the Heats :D , I want see everthing in that Chaos army you told me.

IP

Anathema
29-04-2006, 17:52
I am with Xavier on Alpha mission. Just the lack of Inflty & Deep strike would take away a great challege in my eyes. Say you fought Alpha Legion or Drop Troop Guards & find it away fun fighting them & make me think a bit more with deploment. Also with VP as well

It would encourage more diversity in army selection. As it is, armies know that they will always get to use Infil and that 50% of the time its Escalation. This skews army builds to compensate and a lot of units are ignored, certain ones spammed to cope with this. With all 3 levels players have to think if their all infiltrating force is really worth it, or should they include a few of those vehicles they dropped, creating more balanced lists all round. I'm very much in favour of having Alpha level missions at the GT.

Prophaniti
29-04-2006, 18:12
Not sure which heat I'll make it to, but I agree that alpha level brings a significantly different dimension to a game of 40K. Primarily because it removes all the special rule gimmicks people use to ramp up an army in one area (infiltrate being the prime example). Also because there are no VP's certain units are more expendible than normal and remnant units are a much lower priority. A totally different game to gamma and omega, this is a good thing.

Great Harlequin
30-04-2006, 17:13
Not keen on the Alpha Missions idea - think about it for a minute...

What do people complain about most in GT's? Min/maxing, is the simple answer; the ability to take numerous small units to increase your scoring unit potential, and have a heavy weapon to boot.

Alpha missions hinge on how many scoring units you have on the objective, nothing more. This introduction merely enhances the ideal to take as many min/maxed units as possible. Definitely a bad idea.

Prophaniti
30-04-2006, 19:36
...On the other hand alpha discourages transports and expensive independant characters. Small units are also much easier to render non-scoring. Big seer councils are less enticing as they only count for 1 unit.

Whichever game is being played, if there are army lists there are ways of min/maxing them, whatever the restrictions. Alpha just changes the way you play the game; just as escalation changes army builds, so does the lack of any special rules.

Alpha won't destroy the tournament, or make it a disaster. People will always complain about other peoples' armies, unless you're playing chess.

Great Harlequin
30-04-2006, 21:12
...On the other hand alpha discourages transports and expensive independant characters.
Perhaps, but this is already taken into consideration with the Victory Points' scenarios. Transports are hardly ever used, with the notable exception of Wave Serpents in Eldar Air Cavalry armies. And neither of these are real problems in the gaming system - beefed up characters can generally be brought down if one prepares their army accordingly.

Small units are also much easier to render non-scoring.
Yes, but because they are seperate targets you don't end up placing all your points in one unit. They're spread out - meaning in the long run you don't lose as many victory points. And if you go overkill on a unit, the rest of the damage is wasted. It's hard to explain and I'm shattered but larger units tend to be a waste.

Big seer councils are less enticing as they only count for 1 unit.
They already had these problems in the current missions. They got humbugged on taking Table Quarters and the like - impressive as they sound, they're quite easy to cope with. Besides if Craftworld Eldar is not going to be allowed this isn't an issue.

Whichever game is being played, if there are army lists there are ways of min/maxing them, whatever the restrictions.
I agree.

Alpha just changes the way you play the game; just as escalation changes army builds, so does the lack of any special rules.
True enough, but this also limits people on what they want to take. If they know a third of their missions, Alpha Legion won't be able to Infiltrate then they're not going to be a popular choice. It's restricting the variety of army selection further IMO.

Wonderdog
01-05-2006, 17:36
OMG.... why did I ever organise this game for tommorrow... just put together the whole damn army in a day.. my flat now stinks of pear drops. Sigh...

#Wonderdog

Insane Psychopath
01-05-2006, 17:57
Wonderdog OMG.... why did I ever organise this game for tommorrow...

Because we both have a score to settle & it been to long since you where last in. Also you to give me £5 for those hammer (that I still need to get ready :rolleyes: ). But don't you stand me up like Blacky did.

just put together the whole damn army in a day.. my flat now stinks of pear drops. Sigh...

Hurraaa!!! :D so mean your force ready for tomorrow battle

IP

Wonderdog
01-05-2006, 18:51
Oh, don't you worry, I'll be there :D If I have to stay up all night cleaning off mould lines I'll be there :D

Besides, I've gotta give you a chance to claw back some points in our lifelong 40k 1 on 1 campaign... your waaaaaaaay behind last time I checked :D

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to a game... its been ages since I played 40k. How many attacks do Zoats with digilasers get again?

#Wonderdog

Xavier
01-05-2006, 19:18
OMG SO LIKE WHATS HIS TOP SECRET ARMY?! TELL US WERE ALL LIKE DYING TOO KNOW!?!11

:rolleyes:

Wonderdog
01-05-2006, 21:52
Its really not that exciting dude ;)

Xavier
02-05-2006, 09:21
You clearly haven't read my signature or maybe you dont understand it.

:p means sarcasim, meaning what I posted above was not to be taken seriously, I am sure noone here really gives a crap what army your taking.

Wonderdog
02-05-2006, 09:33
Thanks for the headsup Xavier. Sarcasms a skill I still have to learn.

#Wonderdog

Xavier
02-05-2006, 09:52
Ill bet.

Now for my uber plan to come to glasgow and watch all the games being played! So much for your 'top secret' army muahahaha.

Insane Psychopath
02-05-2006, 20:26
Right before Wonderdog turn up. Yes his army wipe me out but a few notes

+ Omega help his army BIG time
+ My dice where really bad (I failed 3x 2+ save from bolters)

On Personial note (*jokeing*)

+ he use RIG dice
+ he cheated & bully me, also took my Thunder hammers part I had
+ made me pay for the KFC
+ he bully the younger kids in my local GW & break there models
+ he hits me

01-05-2006 22:52
Wonderdog
Its really not that exciting dude

I bet you get told that all the time lol

Xavier: Well I got some good news for you, next Tue there going to be a WFB tournament 2000pts GT style, talk to staffers. As for 40k, there IS going to be one BUT it will be June most like.

IP

Wonderdog
02-05-2006, 20:54
I knew you'd run home for a preemptive post ya git! lol.

Yeh, the reason I didnt get my guys sprayed was obviously because I spent so damn long drilling out those loaded dice of mine ;)

Truth is, IP got his **** handed to him... big style, despite half my army not appearing till turn 5! Wiped his shooty death army (all on board turn 3 btw) out to a man... scored maximum points for recon mission, and think I conceded about 250 points :D Nothing to do with lucky dice rolling either, superior tactics and execution on my part. Being able to will your opponent to roll 1's for his obliterators IS a valid skill!

Its true what they say... the old skillz never leave yah! Raaaaaaaaaar!!!

#Wonderdog

PS. GG. Its good to flex my 40k muscles again after such a long vacation :D A few wee tweaks and its tourney ready :D

Insane Psychopath
02-05-2006, 20:59
Being able to will your opponent to roll 1's for his obliterators IS a valid skill!

Phil, as said IF only you could read mines, my is saying.. to give you a hint the second word if "off" & the first one start with a f :D

But in honsty Wonderdog is a good player, just shame he bully little kids, shame on you :rolleyes:

IP

Xavier
02-05-2006, 21:48
OMG SO LIKE WHAT ARMY DID HE USE!11?!12

Xavier: Well I got some good news for you, next Tue there going to be a WFB tournament 2000pts GT style, talk to staffers. As for 40k, there IS going to be one BUT it will be June most like.

Ill phone andy and find out what the deal is with it and see about coming through.

Wonderdog
02-05-2006, 21:52
Deathwatch bikers :D

The only way to describe that game would be to say "It was as if the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse where chicks, on the rag, and coronation street had just been cancelled".

Tis a fun army. Very fast moving and hard hitting. Couple of minor tweaks and it'll be tournament ready.

Got lots of cool conversions to do too, space marines punching tyranids heads off, and some _awesome_ loot markers in mind too :D

Deathwatch Rock.

#Wonderdog

cookiescrumble
24-05-2006, 09:58
It'll probably be heat 1 for me with my witch hunters. Never see witch hunters at the GT, thats why i decided on them.

Insane Psychopath
24-05-2006, 10:10
24-05-2006 10:58
cookiescrumble
It'll probably be heat 1 for me with my witch hunters. Never see witch hunters at the GT, thats why i decided on them.

I seen a few in the past 2x GT I have enter. They are a pretty cool army & will do well as long as people know what they are doing/how play them right (that gose for ALL armies as well).

My Chaos Marines have got a few new models to be painted, Lord, Oblit & a few Havocs.

On that note, you do not need to have a 200-600 word eassy on your army background nor is there any quiz.

Well I guess I will see most you there.

IP

cookiescrumble
24-05-2006, 10:15
My Chaos Marines have got a few new models to be painted, Lord, Oblit & a few Havocs.

Lucky you. I haven't even bought my army yet!

Insane Psychopath
24-05-2006, 10:24
24-05-2006 11:15
cookiescrumble Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Psychopath

Lucky you. I haven't even bought my army yet!

I guess most you lot will not like it when I say I have, Thur & Fri off before the event & right after I have my October holidays :D It with college I get Thur & Fri off throught out the full year.

So this is kind why Heat 1 the best time for myself.

IP

cookiescrumble
24-05-2006, 10:42
Getting the army done is not really a problem. My last exam is on the 26th June and i don't enrol at Uni until the 2nd October. Thats 13 weeks of nothing.