PDA

View Full Version : Does buying new DE raiders even make sense?

landingshortly
20-10-2010, 18:23
Just a question actually because I wondered.

I figure how some Tau players buy Skyray boxes to get all the different fish setups out of one box.

Now how is it with the Raiders? I looked at the plastic sprues on the website and as far as I can see, it is fairly easy to put the ravager-lances on metal rods and simply attach them whenever you want to play a ravager. Probably saves you money over buying both, I would figure.

What do you think about this?

I am acutally pretty torn between buying 3 ravagers instead of raiders and make them modular. This makes sense - but are raiders that often used that I want to take raiders every single game?

What makes sense to buy?

szlachcic
20-10-2010, 18:46
I can see some people doing this, but I doubt it will be nearly as widespread as Tau players buying Skyrays and making them modular. In the case of Tau you have a $35 Devilfish, a $40 Skyray, and a $45 Hammerhead. It only makes sense to spend the extra $5 over the Devilfish in order to build all the different variants.

Dark Eldar however have to spend $33 on a Raider and almost $50 on a Ravager, which unlike the Skyray, only can make two variants (the Ravager and the Raider). So, I see most people just buying them for what they actually are.

John Vaughan
20-10-2010, 18:52
Raiders are going to be the saving grace of the new DE. I suggest you get them separately, because I'm sure you'll want to use Raiders A LOT. Plus, Ravagers cost a TON more comparatively (money-wise).

Lord Damocles
20-10-2010, 19:06
You're almost certainly going to want Raiders *and* Ravagers in a list, so you won't get as much benefit from making them modular as you do with some other vehicles (Razorbacks spring to mind).

That said, if you're going to get a Ravager, there doesn't really seem to be any disadvantage to making it so that it can be used as a Raider as well.

landingshortly
20-10-2010, 20:46
Thanks guys.

What I see is that building the ravager modular gives you all the chances: field the thingie as raider or ravager + improve transportability. at least that's what i can say from the sprues.

i will probably get the ravagers first, make them modular and then buy some raiders if i need to :)

Korraz
20-10-2010, 21:02
Kinda hijacking here, but I'm curious: How does one make all 3 Veriants from one Skyray-Kit? Could somebody give me a tutorial or something?

The Orange
20-10-2010, 21:22
I'm assuming that the Ravager is not unlimited (it's probably a HS choice right?), and based off of that I'd say that yes there probably will be a point where you'll want more then 3 vehicles but buying all Ravager kits would be pointless (unless you want the extra bits for conversions). TBH the Ravager looks to be a really expensive kit. Making it modular is always a good idea IMO, but I don't think I'd necessarily stock up on them when I'm just starting out the army.

Korraz, you might want to try the Advance Tau Tactica forums. I believe one of their members drew up some diagrams about making the modular kits. For the most part though the most difficult portion is the burst cannon at the nose.

WD40
20-10-2010, 21:24
Kinda hijacking here, but I'm curious: How does one make all 3 Veriants from one Skyray-Kit? Could somebody give me a tutorial or something?

The skyray kit comes with the railgun/ion cannon sprue, so you can buy a skyray and model it as a hammerhead for 5$ cheaper. Since all the chassis are the exact same, with a little magnetizing you can build all 3 variants, as the only differences are the turrets and SMS/Drones/Burst Cannons.

kharandhil
20-10-2010, 21:56
Major hole in your theory, we need a lot of raiders.
OUr transports are not optional like in most other armies, they're vital, wyches can't be used without a transport, warriors in raiders are a lot better. Incubi, lord + retinue all need a raider to work at their best. Dark Eldar aren't an army you can half build up and expect to perform well.

What if you need 8 raiders and 3 ravagers, but you only have 5 raiders and 3 raider/ravagers? If you're talking apoc, your theory doesn't make much sence either.

Transports with Tau are optional, but not vital, as far as heavy support, it's no problem switching a skyray into a hammerhead, no interferring with transports.

Tyron
20-10-2010, 23:09
If you buy the ravager you to use as a raider yu could sell the rest and make a profit I thought.

Nuggan
20-10-2010, 23:52
What might be better is to do the reverse. Buy Raiders and Mod them to Ravagers. Okay sure you won't have the weapon pod chair things the actual ravager has but take a couple of warriors equip them with Lances or Desintegrators and put them on a raider.