PDA

View Full Version : Spears / Hand Weapons / Etc., Do they matter in Warhammer Quest?

Ol'Sarge2K
09-11-2010, 23:38
Am piecing together the models I need to play Warhammer Quest. Do not have the Rulebook yet, so please bear with this question........

I have several older metal Skaven miniatures, armed with spears. I know the Warhammer Quest box set had plastic Skaven with swords. Does it matter what weapons the models are equipped with in this game? I.E. do different weapons have different in game mechanics?

Thank You Much...

Mr Feral
10-11-2010, 01:51
Well Spears give the Monster the "Fight In Ranks" special rule, but other than that not really.

Ol'Sarge2K
10-11-2010, 02:04
Ah, OK. Thank You.

I picked up a GW 3 Minotaur box set. Kinda wanted to build one with a great weapon just because it looks cool. Do great weapons have any in game effects?

Also, I think it was Night Goblin archers and Common Goblin Spearmen in the Warhammer Quest boxed game.... I already have some Night Goblin Spearmen from the last edition box set. Is there any stats or special rules differences between the two types of Goblins in Warhammer Quest?

Mr Feral
10-11-2010, 02:48
To answer your questions, nope and nope again. :p

Ol'Sarge2K
10-11-2010, 03:07
Awesome Brother. Thanks Again.

BigRob
12-11-2010, 19:36
Mundane weapons in WHQ are not all that exciting or useful in most situations. Alot of the rules are patchily applied in the monster entries as well so some monsters will have them and others will not and heroes will very quickly ditch all mundane weapons when the magical goodies start rolling in.

Roughly

Spears let monsters fight in ranks which means they might get a chance to fight back against the deathblows of the heroes (especially goblins). Some monsters also have 1 shot throwing spear attacks.

Halberds give the fight in ranks rule and +1S with two handed use. Not vert exciting after about level 2.

Bows tend to be S3 and that is usually the main monster missile weapon.

Shields should give bonus armour points but this is not always the case in the rules.

Best option apart from common sense houserules is just to go with it and ignore the rest. Unless your rich or have many many armies you will end up with proxies for anything and everything (we had an Orc champion who ended up being used as every type of Orc character).

Ol'Sarge2K
15-12-2010, 03:02
Thanks BigRob!

wilsongrahams
22-12-2010, 19:28
For your minotaurs, it actually doesn't make a difference what the minotaur is armed with as they all attack the same anyway.

As for other models - feel free to arm them as you wish - skaven etc here I'm thinking, as it won't make a massive difference and Quest is a great system to create your own events anyway. The reason skaven didn't have spears was simply because the goblins did and they wanted to make them different.

I use goblins with hand weapons and skaven with spears and skeletons with both, just for the variety. Chaos warriors are mean though. You're best leaving them naked and tied up to stand a chance with them!