PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider starting Tyranids as jumping on bandwagon?

Gadicitus
28-05-2005, 22:03
I've almost finished my first army in over 5 years - 1000pts of a DIY Marine chapter. Ever since 2nd Edition's Carnifex reared it's rather egg-shaped head I've been interested in the 'nids - it seems that my desire to start something new and the re-release of one of my "I really want to do these at some point" armies coincides nicely.

I only wonder though, since they are literally just being released and are the focus of WD and GW as a whole - whether people would consider it jumping on the 'latest and greatest' bandwagon?

I know essentially you should do whatever you want regardless of what anyone else thinks - but I don't want to be the guy that everyone sighs at with "Oh great, ANOTHER bug player".

Am I overstating this, though? Will there be a massive influx of new 'nid players in the next month or two or not?

Wez
28-05-2005, 22:07
Will there be more new nid players with the new dex? Yes.

Will there still be 5 times as many SM players after this increase? Yes.;)

Go for it and start nids.

-Wez

The pestilent 1
28-05-2005, 22:08
was a nid player right from the begining, and to recognise their coolness, even if it is after a new dex, is alright by me.
sides, there will always be more ultramarines to kick.

lredman
28-05-2005, 22:13
I say if you like 'nids then start an army.

Those people who are 'jumping on the bandwagon' will probably soon get bored and move onto another army - probably Wood Elves.

However serious fans - like you - will continue and build an army even when other armies are in the limelight in White Dwarf.

Gadicitus
28-05-2005, 22:13
I think I like the idea of a sea of teeth and claws, slime-covered muscle and splintered carapace alot more than the spit-polish of my codex marine chapter.

How does Battleforce + codex + H. Tyrant sound as a good start?

Rick_1138
28-05-2005, 22:17
I think there will be more nid players, which can only be a good thing, far too many chaos armies and SM to boot.

However well looking forward to 18th June, day after my B,day and i got day off work to go to local store with my ultramarines and play against bug armies, a first for me!!, and buy tyranic war vets because it must be done.

Also i will be 23, i feel old, but am still dropping hints to parents for the new aquilla big case for my B,day!

susu.exp
28-05-2005, 22:23
I've almost finished my first army in over 5 years - 1000pts of a DIY Marine chapter. Ever since 2nd Edition's Carnifex reared it's rather egg-shaped head I've been interested in the 'nids - it seems that my desire to start something new and the re-release of one of my "I really want to do these at some point" armies coincides nicely.

I only wonder though, since they are literally just being released and are the focus of WD and GW as a whole - whether people would consider it jumping on the 'latest and greatest' bandwagon?

I know essentially you should do whatever you want regardless of what anyone else thinks - but I don't want to be the guy that everyone sighs at with "Oh great, ANOTHER bug player".

Am I overstating this, though? Will there be a massive influx of new 'nid players in the next month or two or not?

Well, I just started 'nids. To me the question never came up this way. When I started GW games, I collected Epic 'nids. And when I started 40k everybody assumed Id go bugs. My excuse at that time was: 8k, 12k, 14k (Whatever it was at the particular time) of Epic 'Nids are enough. I want to use that pot of Boltgun Metal... So I collected CSM during 2nd Ed. and Tau during 3rd. (this time my excuse was: I dislike most of the models). Now the models I disliked are being replaced by ones I dig and there are no more excuses. And even though I never played bugs in 40k Im still seen as a 'nid Placer from my Epic days. Actually I recieved a call from my local DA player when I was undercoating my first gaunt, where he asked me if it wasnt time to finally... "Just started" was my reply. I personally think that everybody whos starting 'Nids for the "New and shiny"-factor wont be in it for too long. So go for it. These people will be playing Templars by christmas and by then every nay-sayer will have shut up. If thats too long for you, wait a couple of months.

Str10_hurts
28-05-2005, 22:53
sides, there will always be more ultramarines to kick.

I'll take that as an insult. :mad: ;)

Anyway there will be loads of idiots trying and start an army and then stop after a year. So if you realy want to, just GO FOR IT!

More nids for my Tyranids Hunters to slaughter. :D

EmperorsChamp01
28-05-2005, 23:37
What you should do is buy 1500 pts of every army. I know no one can S#^$ money but you will never get the imfamaus "Oh theres a nother (enter army here) player"

susu.exp
29-05-2005, 00:14
I think I like the idea of a sea of teeth and claws, slime-covered muscle and splintered carapace alot more than the spit-polish of my codex marine chapter.

How does Battleforce + codex + H. Tyrant sound as a good start?

Sounds OK, although it depends heavily on how you want your army to behave. What youd have:
Stealer Brood
Gaunt Brood
Horma Brood
Warrior Brood
Rippers
HT
Carni

IMO it suffers from a lack of hard hitting fast units. 8 Hormas will probably not do much once they reach assault range (on your 2nd turn). Id forget about the HT and add a couple more gaunts for starters. Thatd bring both Termas and Hormas to double strenght and add another ripper base. Gaunts are pretty much useless in small broods and if you were planning a TMC-Army, the Battleforce is a waste of money.

My suggestion: Go with the Battleforce, Codex and add a box of gaunts. Then expand the army with at least one more box of gaunts and one box of Warriors (not neccesarily now). Get a HT after youve got the troops sorted out. At that point you can also judge what equipment it should have to balance your basic force.

Gadicitus
29-05-2005, 00:39
I hadn't really got an overall plan for my Tyranid force, which is why I was considering the set. I'm the furthest opposite to a 'competitive' gamer there is - so I'm more interested in fluff and fun than winning and dominating.

You're probably right about bolstering the regular troops - I just figured that a HT would be a good choice to put in there straight away as a HQ. What's would be my 'hq' in the Battleforce, then?

Cloudscape_online
29-05-2005, 01:46
The current models are absolutely amazing and for most of the part don't weigh a ton to carry around (2nd ed Tyranids all lead). They are really customisable and allow players to use the 'nids any way they wish. It's not hard to see why everyone wants to have a 'nid army.

I'm gonna get some, too. I play guard and if I have a friend who doesn't wan to haul their army over to my house every time we have a game, we can always play Starship Troopers with 'nids and guard. 'Tis great. :D

Strikerkc
29-05-2005, 02:00
It's not a matter of "Jumping bandwagons". If the tyranids interest you, then I don't see the problem. If it's becuase "TYr4N1d5 Ar3 th3 4we5om3!!!1!11! B3tter th4n 4LL arm1e5!!!11!"... then that would be jumping band wagons, and I'd have to ask you to leave and not come back ;)

TomKamakazi
29-05-2005, 02:25
I hadn't really got an overall plan for my Tyranid force, which is why I was considering the set. I'm the furthest opposite to a 'competitive' gamer there is - so I'm more interested in fluff and fun than winning and dominating.

You're probably right about bolstering the regular troops - I just figured that a HT would be a good choice to put in there straight away as a HQ. What's would be my 'hq' in the Battleforce, then?

I'm not a 'nids player, but I'm led to believe that warriors are a stand in HQ choice or an elite choice depending on your mood.

Any one want to confirm this for the new codex?

Witch Hunter
29-05-2005, 04:47
I'm not a 'nids player, but I'm led to believe that warriors are a stand in HQ choice or an elite choice depending on your mood.

Any one want to confirm this for the new codex?

I've not got the new 'Dex, but I believe that was right in the 3rd edition book IIRC.
Instead of a Tyrant you could go with a Broodlord as an HQ.

McGonigle
29-05-2005, 13:14
What you should do is buy 1500 pts of every army. I know no one can S#^$ money but you will never get the imfamaus "Oh theres a nother (enter army here) player"

Alternatively to avoid that phrase just play Dark Eldar.

Back on the Nids idea, the only real reason for accuseing you of band wagon jumping I can see if is you are going for the
2 Hive tyrants
6 Carnifax list

susu.exp
29-05-2005, 13:25

The Warriors, as has already been pointed out, can be taken as HQ. Im not building a competitive army either, but I base mine somewhat on what Id put into my first Maycetic wave in SM/TL. Which translates to about 100-150 gaunts, 20-30 'Stealers, the same number of Warriors and sometimes a HT. Huge masses of gaunts are what epitomizes the 'nids to me. The same way big top level predators cant tip over ecosystems (stuff like lions is almost by default on the endangered species list, they need a working ecosystem but if they end up in another place they dont create a big mess. Wolfs are currently finding their way back into western europe and it has almost no ecological consequences), while highly adaptable smaller animals can (rats and roaches I say. Rats have caused the extinction of over 100 species in Hawai alone and they are still running), I see gaunts and stealers as the real danger. The big critters are something I will use in big games, but I think my first 1500 pts will be small and mid range creatures.

Master Fulgrim
29-05-2005, 17:40
Playing `Nids? As i play UM, it would be the ideal counterpiece for my army. But only if i have finished my current army. Also i have to get the idea of building a second army of Emperors Scythes out if my head first. So it will take months or maybe even years, till i would do so.

Master Fulgrim

Gadicitus
29-05-2005, 18:10
I definately don't want to focus on 'lots of big things' - the whole idea of the nids, at least as I see them - is a swarm! Like suse.exp said, lots of gaunts, lots of stealers, a few warriors and a couple of TMCs.

Gadicitus
29-05-2005, 23:39
I have decided - I'll pick up the codex, a box of gaunts and the battleforce to start off with - I will be undercoating white, then yellow ink onto the fleshy bits and black/grey onto the carapace. Weapons and claws to be bone colored. Sounds good?

Just out of curiosity - how many points will that roughly put me at? 500? 750?

susu.exp
30-05-2005, 00:03
It should be about 600+ pts.

The boyz
30-05-2005, 11:13
Yeah go for it. Who cares what other people think.

lord_blackfang
30-05-2005, 12:16
I got bitten by the Nid bug myself (in a good way), but I won't be able to shell out the cash for a few months at least. When I save up some spending money, I'll start off with 2 Battleforces, maybe even 3.

philbrad2
30-05-2005, 12:23
Why jump on the bandwagon my bugs have been around since 2nd ed, played exetensively wiht the BBB list but shelved for the Nid codex days of 3rd ed. Just coming out of hibernation currently. With lots of plastic troops available a 'horder' army is now possible. As long I can paint all the suckers!

:chrome:

The Beast
30-05-2005, 16:24
I'm surprised he is even worried about jumping on the band wagon since he already plays Space marines.

zealousheretic
31-05-2005, 15:55
I wouldn't call it jumping on the bandwagon if you're serious about it.

Good luck!

Rvhalt
31-05-2005, 16:10
Nope, seems impossible for me at the point. Mostly since I already have 'Nid army, are repainting it as we speak... in non-literary sense of course...

The Emperor
31-05-2005, 18:06
Haven't read the thread, but, if the army appeals to you, then who cares what bandwagons you might be jumping on? Play Tyranids all you like.

Weirdboy
04-06-2005, 15:08
I always thought Tyranids were cool, and I like the new models so much I couldn't stand it anymore and bought the box army. If that is jumping on the bandwagon so shoot me. I don't care! I get to play with the awesome new Hive Tyrant!

the swarm
13-06-2005, 11:13
i have just started with my nids the reason being they look good! their nasty (new) game play is an added bonus, also they are the most co ordinated force by way of squads i have ever made i currently have 3 troops 1hq 2 elites and 2 hvy support.
BIOMASS FOR THE SWARM!

Yorkiebar
13-06-2005, 11:37
I wouldn't consider it 'jumping on the bandwagon' as long as you promise to do a proper gribbly close combat army, not 'shooty nids'.

Mr Evil
13-06-2005, 14:45
If you're starting 'nids I suggest waiting a few months until people are selling off some of their newer stuff on eBay. They're not as good as they were in 3rd edition and you're forced to take lots of synapse if you use gaunts. People on the 'bandwagon' will soon see that other armies will probably do better.

Or everyone will just go to Black Templar when the dex comes out, as they're one of the stronger lists as well as having the easiest paint scheme to do. Spray em black, add some white!

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 14:52
I was never really a big fan of the horde armies. I do like some character in my army, i'm just not to excited about the hungry-mindless-horde concept.

philbrad2
13-06-2005, 15:35
Wow GW release a new/revised army, gamers start buying and collecting and using it ... dont worry only about 4 month until the next new 'bandwagon' army comes along! :angel:

(played Nids since 2nd ed and proud of it - 4th ed making the bugs badder!)

:chrome:

Yorkiebar
13-06-2005, 16:54
I was never really a big fan of the horde armies. I do like some character in my army, i'm just not to excited about the hungry-mindless-horde concept.That's my one and only regret about playing Tyranids. The loss of the ability to convert wargear, do squad markings and have characterful models in general.

Brother Othorio
13-06-2005, 20:10
will i be buying some Tyranids & Genestealers for use in Space Hulk and/or Advanced Space Crusade and/or some similar game of my own devising: Yes

will i actually make a IVth edition Tyranid army: *shrugs* no idea

icharus
20-06-2005, 21:48
Go for it instead of the galaxy burning it will get eaten instead. Only mind you say pardon after your nids burp.

Jeru
20-06-2005, 22:13
I started collecting my nid army back in Aug 04, and I just picked up the models I thought looked the coolest. So i ended up with
HT, 6 Raveners, 3 Lictors, 6 Warriors, 16 terma, 16 horma.

And because engineering is a bitch major I am still painting them ^^.
After reading more into 40k, and the new rules coming out I was very disappointed with how "weak" raveners and warriors were. My local GW guy told me a new codex would be out mid 05 so i just waited before I threw more money into my army. Now I am quite pleased with their new rules, and how every unit in the army can be used to some effectiveness. I am gonna have to pick up some Carnifex because the models are just so beautiful (wtf?)

Mojaco
21-06-2005, 00:59
Bandwagons are virtually non-existent. A few new armies start showing up, but as long as it doesn't wear powerarmour it will always be in the minority.

I nearly finished a 2500 point force, and here is my advise:

a) Do start with the battalion and more gaunts. Painting the army up you'll notice it'll get real boring real fast, so get the gaunts done straight off. You won't get bored to quickly since it's new, and once you do get bored... they're done! Do it the other way around and those gaunts will await painting for half a year.

b) Do something on the side. All Tyranids in all shapes and sizes are easy and likewise to paint. Make sure you have a cool sideproject to work those painting-skills on, like a necromunda gang (Genestealer cult? :))

c) Proxy the Tyrant in a few battles before buying it. It's options are so diverse you really need to know what you want. You'll never go wrong with scything talons or lash whips, but some really cool stuff is possible. Example? Adrenal Glands (+1BS), two twin-linked devourers and toxin sacs. That's twelve 18", str 5 shots, with re-rolls to hit and to wounds. It's dirtcheap too, and still scary in combat. Got as a 'goalie' tyrant, rallying all fleeing gaunts or recycled gaunts.

d) Play 40K with terrain as it is intended. I still see too many WFB setups being used by 40K players. And use that terrain! No army should be able to point every weapon it has at the same model.

e) ANYTHING in the codex is good. If you like a model, buy it. I really mean it, I don't believe there is any stupid unit or pointless upgrade in there. Weakest link in my book is more the one biovore, but that's all.

f) The new caring case is expensive, but great for a swarm army. I'm not sure if its available forever, so look into it now if you want to go over 1500 pts.

Jal'knock
21-06-2005, 01:02
Don't let anyone dissuade you from collecting an army that you want to collect. Its your decision and not theirs. As was mentioned before, there is not bandwagon to speak of. To take from the wise Master Yoda:

"Collect or do not, there is no bandwagon"

Grand Warlord
21-06-2005, 01:11
I plan on trying out nids because...

1. too many CSM in my area.
2. I want an evil army.
3. Not a fan of the DE/Orks

but no i wouldnt consider it jumping the 'bandwagon'

Jal'knock
21-06-2005, 01:13
They are very fun to use and despite what people say, there aren't just 2 ways to play them. Vary and experiment with them. Remember, you always have Necrons :rolleyes: (I actually like the 'Crons.....but still)

Shas'o'Fior
21-06-2005, 13:41
i wouldnt call you that.....seeing as i'm thinking of starting a nid army also......biggest problem with the bugs is, IMO, the difficulty of balancing synapse creatures and swarm creatures...like in my hypothetical army, which has
3 broods of 24 spinegaunts each
2 broods of winged shooty warriors
1 brood of vanilla genestealers
1 winged shooty hive tyrant
2 zotharopes
2 biovores (maybe)

my paper tactics: winged stuff can keep up with the fleet gaunts, all the while (hopefully) pinnning the enemy with their weaponry. same for the tyrant.the biovores are there for the Ap3....(either that or more warriors) and the zotharpoes are there for their warp blast. the genestealers will hopefully be shielded by the gaunts and rip through the enemy units...

Xyon
21-06-2005, 14:26
Go for it!

I started collecting nids in 3rd edition, and will prolly finish my army after I finish my Dark Angels.

One cool thing about nids is that they are the one army that really doesnt care about anthing but eating. Politics, good vs evil, chaos gods, tyranids dont care or even know about that. They dont even know or care about bandwagons.

So as has been stated, and as I think, hey the new codex is out, some new models, go for it! I dont think people will say you're on the bandwagon, the only thing I'v considered bandwagon jumping was back when they were doing Index Astares in White dwarf, and there were flavor of the month marine armies. /shudders

Shas'o'Fior
21-06-2005, 14:45
when theres only 1 conciousness in the race of tyranids (the overmind) adn if it wasnt one but few (each norn queen) its still few for politics, when all you can think of is how nice the squats tasted and wonders how will the emperor taste like, theres no room for politics

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 15:00
I wouldn't call it "jumping on the bandwagon" they seem to have a strong list! nice models too.

Mojaco
21-06-2005, 15:30
the biovores are there for the Ap3
No, that's what I did too, but they're far cooler against vehicles. The Most Annoying Thing In The World(tm), aka the Landspeeders and any transports are really hurt by it. Especially open-topped ones, like Dark Eldar and Ork buggies, where you get two hits instead of one.

Jal'knock
21-06-2005, 22:03
I'd much rather hit them a slap of a couple of deathspitters, much more fun and more damage potential.

Xander-K
21-06-2005, 22:21
I plan on trying out nids because...

1. too many CSM in my area.
2. I want an evil army.
3. Not a fan of the DE/Orks

but no i wouldnt consider it jumping the 'bandwagon'
well there you go! your choices are already limited to Necrons or Nids so I would hardly say thats a bandwagon attitude, plus 'Nids are a far more flexible force than Necrons who have quite a poor list if you ask me.

Plaguebearer
22-06-2005, 22:14
Play whatever race you want; there'll be a new race everyone else can jump on in a few months...

and if anyone says anything, feem em to your Tyranids...

Orcdom
24-06-2005, 02:48
good thing might be to do is wait about 6 months and you can pic up cheap bugs either here or at www.bartertown.com for those bandwagoneers that are selling thiers off cheap to support the newest army coming out.

Steve

The Inquisitor
24-06-2005, 05:15
Not really; I fell off the bandwagon, what I collected a whole bunch of models that I never built! I'm looking forward to building an army of these at this time...

mmmmmmm... yummy carnifex loving! :)