PDA

View Full Version : Party make up, Solo games and other stuff

Eternus
29-11-2010, 11:23
Ok, as Warhammer Quest players seem to be few and far between in my neck of the woods, I'd like to make the most of this subforum, so here are some questions for you all.

First, party make up - what do you tend to use for a starting party, and how many characters do you tend to use? The standard seems to be 4, but we used to play with 6 and I have tried it with just 2 or even a lone warrior, but that was a little akward as they have to start with the Lantern, so I don't think the games was designed to work this way. Also, ragarding characters, do you like to add a bit of fluff for your warriors, and does this sometimes take a bit of ingenuity to explain why certain characters have fallen in together? I ask because I love the story telling potential of the game.

Also, do you tend to use the monster tables in the book and proxy models you don't have or do you tend to make up tables to fit your collection, and if so, does this tend to make the monster encounters a bit limited?

Next, do you use the encounter tables in the book or do you use cards? I prefer to use the tables for the actual encounters just for the sheer variety that you just won't get with cards unless you have stacks of them. In fact, having said that, do you make up your own encounters?

Lastly, (for now) is there a comprehensive monster list for all the stuff released since the game came out, or do I have to make up my own rules for monsters that aren't in the tables?

Cheers all.

BigRob
29-11-2010, 12:14
Party make up is all about the type of warrior. 6 is good, 4 is minimum and 8+ gets boring as the game bogs down. Like any good RPGesque game you need composition. 6 Warrior characters will butcher thier way into the dungeon until they run out of health and bandages. Then they will die. 6 Wizards have healing covered until they get swamped by hordes of monsters and roll a 1 on the PD.

There has been some discussion of this in other threads here but a balanced party is really the best way to go. Barbarians, Knights, Trollslayers, Dwarves etc all make good frontliners, Imperial Nobles, Salty Seadogs, Elves of most kinds all make up good catch all middle of the road types and your wizards, druids, priests and so on make up your healers and support characters. I know thats RPG parties 101 but it is like that.

Never done a solo game myself although the rulebook does say you can. Probably useful for playtesting any homebrew characters.

Otherwise, encounter tables in the book are lethal below about level 3 so stick to the cards for the first few dungeons.

Monster tables, always proxy, I had one Orc figure that did everything from Orc warrior to Orc warlord and he was fine. Loot heroquest, Dark world, Warhammer, D&D and everything else for miniatures (and props, tokens whatevers). It's your game! :)

Have fun

Daemonslave
30-11-2010, 20:52
Lastly, (for now) is there a comprehensive monster list for all the stuff released since the game came out, or do I have to make up my own rules for monsters that aren't in the tables?

Cheers all.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. Some of the models released soon after the game came out were given rules in white dwarf or the deathblow mags, but nothing that covers them all.

Make some up and share - I've done a few myself on another thread. :)

Daniel36
30-11-2010, 21:29
Unfortunately I never got around to playing another game since the first time I played it with some buddies, but the general concensus was that we were going to create themed encounter tables, so that you wouldn't run into ten different "races" in one dungeon... Because that is just silly.

Too bad we lost touch. I would've loved some more WHQ, and the characters that we painted up were really cool, really fluffy and to a really nice standard. It would've been awesome.

Eternus
01-12-2010, 07:28
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'd rather make tables for the monsters I have than proxy one race for another, but I don't mind models from the correct race representing anything pretty much within that race, like Skaven Clan Rats being anything from Slaves to Stormvermin, and I have several Orc and Goblin and Skaven models and complete armies of Warriors of Chaos and Vampire Counts to call on.

My biggest problem with the tables in the book were always the number of large monsters.

BigRob
01-12-2010, 10:06
The campaign packs did have extra monsters and special racial encounter tables but that was just for Orcs and undead (and this was pre VampireCounts/Tombkings so they are all mixed in).

Personally, Large monsters can be proxied easily. Using the plastic dragon from Legend of Zagor the boardgame (Get it, its so much fun!) we had everything from a Wyvern to an Emperor Dragon. It's very easy, you don't need the contents of the Eavy Metal cupboard (and of course, this mentality doesnt sell miniatures for GW and probably hwy they dropped the game).

Sir_Turalyon
01-12-2010, 10:47
I've only once never played with the standard 4 player party - normally we were happy if we got 3 Quest players in one room, two players was the standard number and single-player was not unheard of. We used to do it by scaling the monster numbers (half in case of 2 players, 3/4 in case of 3 etc), rolling for the last monster if fraction was not an integer. Nowadays I'm considering always playing 4 character party by players controlling more than one character.

I use the monster / encounter tables whenever I can. I tend to proxy if I have to, or limit the tables to the armies I have. Catacombs of Terror and Lair of the Orc Warlord have good examples of tables using choices of just one Warhammer army, we did a similiar thing for Dark Elves and Chaos Dwarfs by just trimming tables to the choices from these armies. This not only brings a theme to adventure, but a theme using models you already have and like.

asphodel
16-12-2010, 16:09
I usually make sure to use a themed table. Obviously varying tables between dungeons is important if you don't want to get bored, unless you fluff your campaign to a certain extent. For example, my latest round of 4 quests was in the Badlands, fighting through dungeons crawling with orcs or human brigands. Mostly I try and limit the types of enemies to the miniatures I have, but a regiment box isn't too pricey if you're looking to add a particular enemy to the game. Plus, it's fun to paint. Since I'm permanently broke though, I usually just proxy (e.g. Mordheimers can count as brigands, zombies, chaos cultists, whatever).

That brings up another point, it's important not to let yourself be limited by what's in the rulebooks for these games. Experimenting with new enemies for which you write their rules/stats (this is pretty much mandatory if you're interested in some new enemies, etc.).

I've also tried beefing up the monsters. For example, the WHQ orcs just don't fit the fluff with their pitifully few hit points, so I scale up the number of hits. But I also like to apply a modified critical hits rule from Mordheim, so a natural 6 to hit means double damage. This of course works both ways though! Since the rules aren't supported anymore, there is a lot to say for tweaking them to make the game more enjoyable.

BigRob
16-12-2010, 18:46
The thing you have to remember about the monsters of Quest is that they are meant to be weaker than the heroes. Its a "mook" type thing where there are waves of monsters that the party can gut to get them fired up for the big nasty monster.

The things you need to remember about the monster tables in Quest is that after about level 5 things get very very very nasty. The warriors at this stage begin to lag behind the monsters in the terms of Wounds and Damage output and unlucky rolls can result in party wipeouts. Remember Orcs are a level 1 monster. Get to level 3 and they become Big Uns, then Bosses, then Big Bosses and they get tougher with more options.

Granted its not very "realistic" that the party suddenly encounters 10 Grey Seers and a Verminlord, but then, thats part of the fun.

asphodel
16-12-2010, 20:46
I guess it comes down to what you find more fun - the challenging aspect, which is significant especially higher up in levels, or the fluffiness.

The game's designed to be fun in more of a challenging than fluffy/"realistic" sense. And that's completely fine! I like to play it in the more fluffy way. This means though, for me, the low level enemies have to be scaled up and the higher level baddies get revamped. Fighting a room full of grey seers is fun in that you pretty much scramble and hope for some good rolls, but it's so "unrealistic" that part of the fun gets sucked out of it, for me at least.

The beauty of the game is that it's so malleable. It's intended to be played a certain way, but it's flexible enough that you can change it to suit your playing style. Does that break with the spirit of the game? Meh - that's irrelevant if the people playing enjoy it.

BigRob
17-12-2010, 09:06
For more of a fluffy hardcore orc kind of game can I reccomend WFRP 2nd edition.

Quest does have some frustrating aspects, mainly how useless alot of the skills, spells and mundane equipment is, how tough some of the monsters are when thier abilities stack and how the random treasure can result in something fantastic or something pretty useless.

I'm in on any homebrew rules, I'll go dig out my old notes.

wilsongrahams
22-12-2010, 19:16
Party make up is usually all over light flesh foundation with some eye liner and lip gloss for me...

Or did I misunderstand that bit?

Starting party wise, I have used 4 at starting level, or 2 at level 2 as I don't like taking two characters each and usually have had to play with only one other person.

I have played solo play to try the rules but I find it a very lonesome experience and kinda like watching the worlds best movie alone, and then having nobody to talk to about it!

My only take on the monster tables, is that for higher levels (I've never got above level 5 yet being a newish player) I tend to ignore what they say and use double the quantity of a lower level instead so 2D6 skeletons etc. This is partly because I have lots of levely goblins and skeletons painted up, but also because I just don't like the idea of a dungeon filled with bloodthirsters!

BigRob
23-12-2010, 13:28
Interesting idea buffing up the party and having fewer than 4.

I get where your comming from on the monster tables, but tbh its not so much a case of "12 Orc Warlords" hanging out in the room as "12 level 6 Orcs" in alot of cases. The problem with waves of line monsters, say Orcs, is that at level one, 6 orcs can be a challenge to the party. By level 3 they are a nuisance and by level 5 they are one warriors deathblow attack. You need the tougher monsters.

Don't worry about the bloodthirster though, it is almost impossible to kill anyway :D

wilsongrahams
23-12-2010, 22:13
I know what you are saying there, but I would like to make one last point - using a smaller party, even at higher levels, average level monsters are more deadly because you simply cannot kill as many per turn with just two heroes. That may be why I haven't noticed a problem at up to level 5 yet. Also, having never played above that yet, I'm still lacking on experience of really tough fights.