PDA

View Full Version : Treasures

Daniel36
07-12-2010, 21:10
Helloooooo everyone.

So in an attempt to really learn the rules, I am compiling everything in an easy to read and easy to consult .doc-file.

I know others have done before me (Mc Haggis has a really good one, definitely stealing some of his House Rules too!), but for me it is the best way to learn the rules. I dislike reading, and this way it forces me.

So I came to the following problem... Treasures.

It says that if you finish an Event, you will be rewarded a Treasure, and if an Event doesn't award it, it will say so. So the Event cards such as Cave-In don't award treasure. That leaves only the Monster cards (which aren't Event cards). Earlier in the book, it clearly states there are two kinds of Event cards, namely Events and Monsters. It's probably a stupid question, but does that mean that the Monster cards are the ones that give Treasure?

It's pretty poor writing, because there's the E cards and the M cards, and the E stands for Event, but those never give Treasure, while it says that when you finish an EVENT you will be handed Treasure... I want to caps-lock the following, but why didn't they just write that taking care of a Monster card will give you Treasure?

Or am I missing something?

It's funny to compile the rules because you weed out these kinds of silly inconsistencies. One I have grown fond of is how they sometimes refer to the spellcasting section, sometimes to the spellcasting[/s] section, and sometimes to the [i]Spellcasting section. Call me an autist, but things like these make me twitch.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Okay, so I CLEARLY have issues with reading because I just had to read the next sentence to answer my own (pretty stupid) question... So consider this post a (very useless) rant by a (very very) stupid person.

Botjer
08-12-2010, 10:12
i havnt played much but ive interpreted the rules as only event cards(monsters or events) that says you get treasure, gives you treasure.

now i dont know which cards says they give treasure if any... but thats the way i roll.

sometimes i hate warhammer quest things are seriously messed up in the book, like objective room monster chart, why dont they have that close to the encounter tables? i spent like a day looking for it :P

and I'd love some handy sheets for going to the settlement so that players dont have to wait for the book to be passed around.

ive promised myself not to rewrite the warhammer quest rules, but there are sooo many things i dont like :P

Daniel36
08-12-2010, 13:50
sometimes i hate warhammer quest things are seriously messed up in the book, like objective room monster chart, why dont they have that close to the encounter tables? i spent like a day looking for it :P

and I'd love some handy sheets for going to the settlement so that players dont have to wait for the book to be passed around.

ive promised myself not to rewrite the warhammer quest rules, but there are sooo many things i dont like :P

Which is exactly why I am compiling everything in handy Word .docs so I finally understand everything, can look it up easily AND rewrite anything I dislike.

I suggest you look for Mc Haggis, a Warseer member. He has some seriously good documents for easy reference, the link is in his sig.

Daniel36
08-12-2010, 18:35
Might as well use this thread as a base for all my WHQ related questions.

I am currently slavering away at creating themed encounter tables using the Roleplay book, and I couldn't find the rules for "weeping blade", a weapon used by several Skaven models.

Can anyone tell me what the rules for it are?

BigRob
09-12-2010, 10:34
In the basic game, Events come in two forms, Monster Encounters and Event Encounters. A monster encounter always ends in a treasure card, an event encounter will tell you on the card if you get a treasure card.

In the advanced game, a monster encounter will end in a roll on the treasure table or more than one if the monster has the treasure horde rule. An event encounter will tell you to either take a treasure, don't take a treasure or randomise on a dice roll as to wether you get a treasure or not (and sometimes wether to take another event roll or not!)

The advanced game treasure tables work differently, you either get extra random Gold, a roll on the Magic Weapons or a roll on the Magic Items table. One of my first houserules was to move the mundane treasure (like the lustrian vase) into a special mundane item table and included all the items you could normally buy in town, including special items like firebombs, linen bandages and so on.

Daniel36, Weeping Blades are normal hand weapons with the poison rule. Not very good I'm afraid.

Daniel36
09-12-2010, 20:22
That's okay, it's only those nasty Skaven wielding them. :)

What is the rule for Poison in Quest?

BigRob
09-12-2010, 20:37
As listed in the rules section under poison

Any warrior reduced to 0 Wounds by a poison attack suffers -1S. This happens every time they are reduced to 0 Wounds by a poison attack. If they are reduced to S0 they are dead. Characteristics are restored only by specific items, or inbetween adventures.

Disease is the same, but it hits the T.

I had a whole run of rules based on WFRP which has many poisons ranging from a simple +D6 damage to ignoring pain and toughness, reducing characteristics and so on.

Inchpractice
10-12-2010, 17:11
How does everyone deal with treasure cards. If it is a warrior's turn to get a treausre card and it is not useable by them. Do you allow them to give it away? trade it away? or do you force them to keep it and trade it for gold if they cannot use it?

Daniel36
10-12-2010, 18:41
Well, I personally would deal with it the way I see my characters dealing with it. I would probably give it to a person who could use it, increasing MY chances of survival, but I would definitely expect to get something in return. I am a Dwarf after all, and I like mah gold.

asphodel
19-12-2010, 16:06
How does everyone deal with treasure cards. If it is a warrior's turn to get a treausre card and it is not useable by them. Do you allow them to give it away? trade it away? or do you force them to keep it and trade it for gold if they cannot use it?

It depends, I like to just allow free trading/selling between players if they're good at role playing these interactions. Sometimes this means I end up giving an item to another character in exchange for a promise that they will give me a treasure that I need/badly want at some point (the BK might do this with a dwarf or barbarian since he'll trust their honour, but he might not be so keen to trade with the wizard!).

I've experimented with forcing characters to sell items at settlements if they can't use them, but some treasures are too valuable to lose in this way and it can be very frustrating for players. It's also not the fluffiest way of playing. What you could do though, if characters want to sell treasures to other party members is have them do an initiative or willpower roll-off to set the price, based on a percentage of the indicated sell price.

E.g. A dwarf has a 1000g item that the wizard wants, so they both roll. The wizard adds his initiative and the dwarf his willpower. Whoever gets highest sets the price at 50%-150% of the item's value (500-1500gc). It doesn't take long, and adds an element of randomness to the game that might not be present if your players are amicable (a dwarf wouldn't sell an item for cheap or trade it for something inferior unless he was outsmarted or charmed by the wizard; but with two friendly players there wouldn't be an issue). It's not as aggravating as saying "no trades!" but it's more in line with the spirit of the game than the alternative, I think.

Inchpractice
19-12-2010, 16:46
E.g. A dwarf has a 1000g item that the wizard wants, so they both roll. The wizard adds his initiative and the dwarf his willpower. Whoever gets highest sets the price at 50%-150% of the item's value (500-1500gc). It doesn't take long, and adds an element of randomness to the game that might not be present if your players are amicable (a dwarf wouldn't sell an item for cheap or trade it for something inferior unless he was outsmarted or charmed by the wizard; but with two friendly players there wouldn't be an issue). It's not as aggravating as saying "no trades!" but it's more in line with the spirit of the game than the alternative, I think.

That is a brilliant idea :)

Most of my games (once my painting is done) will be solo games as I only take it around interested friends' houses every now and again so I am looking for ways of bringing roleplay personalities to the characters (like this) so that I can give more personality to the group and to decision making.