PDA

View Full Version : Players using same armies..

Borg451
26-12-2010, 15:56
In all the gaming reports and discussion on here, Ive never seen people talk about using two same armys against each other..

so me and my friend both fighting each other but we both are fielding Dark Eldar Armies.. or both Necron Armies..

Is there anything that says this isnt to be done?

eyescrossed
26-12-2010, 16:19
In short? No.

Lord Wasa
26-12-2010, 16:56
if you are talking about same armies, then that happens quite alot afaik, and I've sen quite a few such reports and discussions on here.

if however you are talking about playing a mirror match-up, with both players using the same lists as well, then that is decidedly rarer (and possibly a bit more interesting), but that happens too I can assure you.

Borg451
26-12-2010, 17:00
In short? No.

Bit of a useless response.. why is that then? give some further insight..

Lord Damocles
26-12-2010, 17:19
Why is there not a reason that something is not not to be done?

Really?

There is no rule (actual rulebook rule, or 'rule' :shifty:) saying that you can't play two of the same race/faction/army against one another.
There is no mechanical reason why you shouldn't (although some match-ups will be rather dull (Necrons)).
There is no real background reason why you shouldn't (the old training scenarios on the GW website even bodged reasons for Necrons to fight Necrons (solar flares. Serously? :eyebrows:))

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
26-12-2010, 17:21
Just make sure your armies are painted differently to avoid confusion! (Not a rule, just advice. :) )

Clang
26-12-2010, 19:54
Absolutely no rules reasons to prevent it.

Modelwise, as the Inquisitor says, just be sure you can tell one army from the other :)

Fluffwise, this depends on the race. Orks will start fighting each other simply to fill a dull afternoon. Ultramarines would need a Deep and Noble reason involving the Fate of Humanity.

Korraz
26-12-2010, 19:56
In the grim darkness of the far future, the most fought fight is Space Marine versus Space Marine.

IJW
26-12-2010, 20:15
You asked a question. He answered it correctly. Why is that a useless response?

autarch dsaliuvid
26-12-2010, 20:52
A dark eldar will gladly kill another archon for any slight. The necron c'tan dont get a long very well or might be malfunctioning after tens of millions of years. Orks are orks and are always willing to fight. Farseer's might see diffrent futures are needed to keep their craftworld around even at the cost of another.Tyranids consume other hive fleets to make the winner that much stronger. The chaos gods are fickel and will encourage battle even between members of a single legion or their own deamons .and in the imperium even the inocent are accused of heresy and must fight for there life or a training exercise. there are always ways to explain a battle because as we all know .
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.

Stealin' Genes
26-12-2010, 20:54
In the grim darkness of the far future, the most fought fight is Space Marine versus Space Marine.

For Deep and Noble reasons involving the fate of humanity, every single time, one presumes.

Reflex
26-12-2010, 22:47
I dont think ive every played my necrons against necrons... (lucky?) But it wouldnt be something i look forward to.

Ive played guard Vs Guard plenty of times though.

Infiltraitor
26-12-2010, 22:55
Having had this come up a couple of times, there's no rule against having any army face off against against itself. Most armies have very good reasons to wage war to square off against members of it's own race or faction. Look at Orks. I think its only problematic when nids are involved.

Stealin' Genes
27-12-2010, 00:23
Even Tyranids have a justification, when splinter fleets meet, they fight, winner eats the loser and the Tyranid race as a whole grows stronger.

jamesterjlrb
27-12-2010, 00:27
Yeah as a guard player i play lots of other guard players and of course at my local GW there are always the kids with blue spatter marines in their tupperware containers who play against each other.

Admiral Koppenflak
27-12-2010, 00:54
Yeah as a guard player i play lots of other guard players and of course at my local GW there are always the kids with blue spatter marines in their tupperware containers who play against each other.

I can't help but wonder if you're from my local store. :D

Tarax
27-12-2010, 09:44
There are also people who say that the battle they fight is a training exercise. Which may be correct for some armies. Mock-battles are common even in our day. Shooting with paintballs to see if you're hit/wounded.

Besides knowing which unit belings to whom, you also have some rules which may be confusing, like: Resurrection Orb helps Necron Warriors, but from both sides? So you need to gets these things straight before the battle.

AFnord
27-12-2010, 10:22
In my experience, people tend to pick armies that are not over-representated in their particular gaming group,which might be one of the reason why you don't see a lot of "same army" fights.

eyescrossed
27-12-2010, 11:05
AFnord, my gg of 5 players has 4 who collect Eldar. All but one of them have other armies as well, though.

LonelyPath
27-12-2010, 13:44
My DA are always facing off against other DA armies, the Orks seem to fight more Orks than anything else (not that it bothers them, they like a good fight). My Guard recently went up against a couple of Guard forces in a Apocalypse game (my guys had fallen under the sway of the Hive Mind this time) and so on and so forth.

The only army I play that hasn't faced off against another faction of itself are my Grey knights. But I don't really see those having alot of infighting.

Thoth62
27-12-2010, 16:37
In the end, background aside, it's a game. You can play with any army against whoever you darn well please.

Lord Damocles
27-12-2010, 18:32
Besides knowing which unit belings to whom, you also have some rules which may be confusing, like: Resurrection Orb helps Necron Warriors, but from both sides? So you need to gets these things straight before the battle.
The main rulebook FAQ covers this one nicely.

This does remind me of a funny situation I heard of though.
Two Necron armies are fighting each other. Necron player 1 starts being a whiney chump, so Necron player 2 decides to out-chump him by teleporting his opponant's Warriors through his Monolith - the portal of which just happens to be blocked :evilgrin: