PDA

View Full Version : any news on a new basilisk kit?

jason_sation
26-12-2010, 19:03
The "new" Basilisk kit was one of the biggest disappointments to me of all the new guard releases. (Which I've been pleased with so far. This army has really lucked out in terms of Codex/Kit releases this time around!) Any word on GW finally re-doing the kit properly with new gun options from the Codex? I'd honestly prefer the "old" kit to the new one, as I'm under the impression the new kit doesn't come with one of the hull mounted weapons anymore.

Korraz
26-12-2010, 19:07
The new kit is the old kit without the extra-sprue and more expensive.

New version with all weapons? Not gonna happen any time soon. The guard had it's second wave.

Olja
27-12-2010, 02:54
For all the good things that GW has given the IG, the Basilisk is one step backwards. No new gun options or even a gun crew.

MajorWesJanson
27-12-2010, 03:50
The new Basilisk kit was not meant to be an improvement, but instead to swap parts out so they could stop production of the old chimaera hull, track, and wheel sprues. That and the new Russ meant that the old sprues could be phased out entirely. Given the increase of options on sprues, I bet the next guard wave will be a Basilisk/Medusa/Colossus kit with the Chimaera hull sprue and 2 new sprues for the gun platform, different guns, shield,crew, and upgrades. When that happens, the IG acessory sprue will likely move to direct only.

Then a redesigned Griffon/Hydra (maybe open platform rear with either a mortar or a Bofors style gun turret)

As for release, I'd guess they will happen either as another tank wave like Spearhead, or alongside 6th Edition. Right now the only waves coming up are BA, Dark Eldar, and Tyranids.

Sgt John Keel
27-12-2010, 03:54

What extra sprue? It most certainly comes with the Tank Accessories sprue (otherwise the kit wouldn't have any hull weapon).

dingareth
27-12-2010, 06:52
No it does not.

Archibald_TK
27-12-2010, 09:16
I sure hope the speed at which that kit sells in our shop is not an indication of how well they sell everywhere, else we will all be stuck with it for a long long time as GW tries to empty their stocks :p

More seriously, the old kit sold, the new one doesn't (remember I'm talking specifically for us). If I had to guess I'd blame the combination of a pricey kit with not really desirable rules in a codex full of other interesting choices. Anyway that model managed to get its place in a very very special list. The list of 40k vehicles I will no longer automatically order for the shop once the last kit will be sold, and only order if a customer specifically ask for it. And it's quite a task to enter that special club as it's a very very small list (generally 40K sells very well), but place on the shelves is precious and if you can't justify it after so many months of display...

Vaktathi
27-12-2010, 10:19
What extra sprue? It most certainly comes with the Tank Accessories sprue (otherwise the kit wouldn't have any hull weapon). I think it's the only one that does, though it does not have any Heavy Bolter bits, and thus cannot be assembled as it appears on the box.

Sgt John Keel
27-12-2010, 14:10
No it does not.

So, the list of the included sprues on the GW site is wrong, and the Basilisk is an incomplete kit?

Okuto
27-12-2010, 16:26
glad I dont need any more basilisks....errrr wait I still need to make a medusa...damn

AlphariusOmegon20
29-12-2010, 04:28

New version with all weapons? Not gonna happen any time soon. The guard had it's second wave.

There's nothing saying Guard can't have a third wave. It's not unprecedented.

the_ampersand_man
29-12-2010, 06:01
I was originally pretty excited about the "new" Basilisk till I learned it was just a rejigging of the old kit with none of the options for any of the variant tanks. At that point I pretty much decided I'd never buy one.

This substandard kit combined with the increase in price for a standard squad and the massive holes in the product range/ codex list are some of the things that are starting to drive me away from playing the Guard, and likely 40K altogether.

Korraz
29-12-2010, 11:21
There's nothing saying Guard can't have a third wave. It's not unprecedented.

"Any time soon" ;) 3rd wave is possible, but right now the schedule seems to be tightly packed.

Bunnahabhain
29-12-2010, 11:35
Guard have had their 3rd, 4th and 5th waves - FW.

GW really have no incentive to work on the missing vehicles, as they already have a section producing and selling them.

Korraz
29-12-2010, 12:07
Manticore, Valkyrie, Trygon...

Archibald_TK
29-12-2010, 12:46
Guard have had their 3rd, 4th and 5th waves - FW.

GW really have no incentive to work on the missing vehicles, as they already have a section producing and selling them.
While as a customer I care and buy FW products, as a retailer I couldn't care less about them. Models in shops = accessible to the main public. Models restricted to FW = accessible to a specific public of amateurs. The only thing that will deter GW from releasing a model is if the previous waves led to very poor sales and they fear the new models will not justify their initial development cost, the fact FW already offers the models in its catalog is irrelevant and will not stop them in any way.

I expect from GW to sell the models they present in their Codex via its shops and independent retailers, that's also the official position on the matter (taken from GW, not from the internet). Also I'll not take a big risk guessing the sells of a FW model worldwide are absolutely insignificant compared to the money they get by selling the same model on the shelves (Vendetta and Trygon being a prime example). That's especially more true outside of the UK/USA where FW products are definitively an uncommon sight.

LonelyPath
29-12-2010, 14:23
Seing how many Griffons and Hydras I see in lists and on tables I'd be very surprised if they didn't produce such kits in plastic at some point.

neko
29-12-2010, 14:27
I'm just hoping that they do direct copies of the FW offerings rather than trying something new like they did with the Manticore...