PDA

View Full Version : Hell Pit Abomination

Shnerg
29-12-2010, 14:33
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod900157a

What do you think of the new model for the HPA?

The bearded one
29-12-2010, 14:36
It certainly is an abomination!

Though I'm not sure yet wether it is in a good way or a bad way ;)

slayerofmen
29-12-2010, 14:54
not a fan of the HBA but the rest of the range looks pimping i like how they kept the scaffold design across the other creations

theorox
29-12-2010, 14:57
Wow! It looks much better with those leg-arm things grasping the ground! I'm still not sure about the big blindwyrm skull. But hey, convert it then! :D

Theo

kyussinchains
29-12-2010, 15:04
the HPA is terrible..... I certainly won't be picking one up, although I never really liked the idea of it anyway (not to mention the flak you take for fielding them.....)

I love the new weapon team models, although GW have got a nerve charging 12 for the doomflayer while all the other weapon teams are 8.50....

Tretch is fantastic, Ikit is awesome too

Overall I'm liking the new wave..... just going to be a pain in the wallet.... ;)

Reimu
29-12-2010, 15:17
The torso's a bit too busy and it kinda gets confusing. Personally, I would have gone with less heads and made those heads more notable and gribbly.

I like that it looks like it comes from a sort of underground wyrm as per the fluff, though. The mechanical elements are nice touches, too.

Overall, it's pretty decent. Some conversion work would make it brilliant; lucky it's plastic, eh? I'm thinking that using some Tyranid scything talons and various other gribbly components would go down a treat.

Shnerg
29-12-2010, 15:26
I don't play Skaven, but when I buy IoB, I might buy one to go along with it, just because.

loveless
29-12-2010, 15:32
I like it a lot. It's going to be nightmarish to paint, but it's actually made me reconsider using one. It's the steampunkish bits that do it - there's so much wrong with the overall figure that it just feels right.

A-rating to GW for this one. I'm actually not even annoyed by the price.

RTGamer
29-12-2010, 16:33
I like him... Now to get some skaven on a budget...

RealMikeBob
29-12-2010, 16:40
The HPA is really nice. I wasn't a fan of the rules but now I've seen the model I'm reconsidering. Bit odd it's a limited run though.

The new weapons teams are nice too. The other new stuff I'll pass on. Prefer my old Ikit.

Malorian
29-12-2010, 16:50
I really don't like the head or upper arms, but as has been said above you could always convert it.

Baggers
29-12-2010, 17:00
I like it. The model I am more disappointed with is the new Warp Lightning Cannon, but I suspect that it will grow on me.

dragonet111
29-12-2010, 17:12
I like it. It's a nightmarish vision. I can't wait to see different paint job on the beast.

Malorian
29-12-2010, 17:29
The model I am more disappointed with is the new Warp Lightning Cannon, but I suspect that it will grow on me.

Yeah, it's like they just took the old one and threw it on a stand.

At least it makes it better for having line of sight ;)

Ethriel
29-12-2010, 17:31
The HPA is really nice. I wasn't a fan of the rules but now I've seen the model I'm reconsidering. Bit odd it's a limited run though.

The new weapons teams are nice too. The other new stuff I'll pass on. Prefer my old Ikit.

I may just be blind, but where does it say that it's a limited run?

Other than that, the model is quite nice, it's very gribbly, which is awesome.

RealMikeBob
29-12-2010, 17:33
Web Team mistake apparently. They've changed the page.

Orangecoke
29-12-2010, 17:37
Loving the HPA now that they are showing this angle. Awesome model.

Akusho6
29-12-2010, 18:16
I am sooo glad that it doesn't look nearly as bad as it was pictured and described in the Skaven Codex. Phew! Still might not use one however on account of how far'fetched the idea and everything that goes a long with it is. But on the other hand, Love the stats and rules for the beastie. If I get swayed to field one I will probably just use the Giant undead looking rat from Necromunda Miniature Line however. imo reanimated giant zombie rat > giant mutant underground wyrm with ratogre parts grafted on. Reminds me of some ridiculous thing pitted against you in World of Warcraft, which I am very unfond of.

Torpedo Vegas
29-12-2010, 18:18
Looks solid, though the description reminds me of what they did for the Daemon Prince model, how it's supposedly "loaded" with bits.

Chainaxe07
29-12-2010, 18:49
Not bad, i think it represents the super skaven chaos spawn pretty well.
Since everyone and his mother field at least one i guess it will quickly become a common sight on the battlefield.

AFnord
29-12-2010, 18:59
I think its a bit to cluttered, too much going on with no real focal point. I would have preferred less heads, with only one or two large heads and it would probably also have looked better with fur. But that is my opinion, I think that a lot of GWs more recent models have been cluttered.

giant stegadon
29-12-2010, 19:06
I like it a lot better than the fuzzy pics from that blog.

Tretch & Ikit both look nice enough just to buy for fun (especially Tretch).

sulla
29-12-2010, 19:07
Hard to guage the looks of the thing due to the paintjob. I imagine it will look very good in real life. Now every skaven player can finally get the 2 HPAs in their list that they have been wanting.

Jind_Singh
29-12-2010, 19:20
wow, wow, and wow! There a few design elements that make me think WTF but the kit says it comes loaded with bitz, it's plastic, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it look how I want - I love ALL the new Skaven stuff, the prices were fine too - I was worried about the HPZ being over $80 when I first heard about it - but this is solid - can't wait to grab a pair of HPA just to build them!

Lexington
29-12-2010, 19:23
...astounding.

Seriously, just hideous, in the best possible way. They knocked this one out of the park, past the state lines and well through the stratosphere.

LoreDraconis
29-12-2010, 19:41
Still might not use one however on account of how far'fetched the idea and everything that goes a long with it is.

haha...what would that be exactly? bipedal rats? nuclear meteorites? Because giant frogs levitating on stone slabs and warp rifts spilling out demons from another dimension isnt exactly...uh...historically accurate either.

They really knocked it out of the park on the hellpit. Not even chaos can claim to have something as demented as the rats now! Sadly the cannon/catapult suffers a bit from being jammed into the same set, but they did a fairly good job of it regardless. If you buy the set and chop it up a bit im sure you could come up with something much more distinct, so it still wins in that regard.

CrystalSphere
29-12-2010, 21:20
The hellpit abom. looks fine to me, a bit disturbing but that was to be expected, definitely better than the artwork of the skaven book. I am also disappointed with the warp lightning cannon, mainly because of sharing parts with the catapult. While it was an ingenious idea, i think the warplight cannon looks quite odd atop of that wooden frame, it just seem unfitting to me, i prefered the older model iron-casing.

Lastie
29-12-2010, 21:48
I'm personally loving it. The paint scheme could be better, but overall the whole thing looks like a Blanche sketch made plastic. The only problem I see myself suffering in the future is the lack of friends I'll be making for fielding two of them. :p

shelfunit.
29-12-2010, 22:14
Tops off the "new" skaven range nicely - love the HPA, the doomflayer and the warp grinder. The cannon/catapault look ok-ish, I suppose it was the best way they could get both models from one kit. Still overall nicely done GW. If they could only get their asses in gear and sort out OKs, TKs and then Dwarfs the world could be a better place...

Lockjaw
29-12-2010, 22:55
I like it....but not at $50

ftayl5
29-12-2010, 22:56
The HPA looks really awesome as most people seem to think. I like that they've made the catapult but I don't see why they had to combine it with the cannon. The scaffolding stuff just doesn't look right for it. Also not sure why a big chunk of warpstone is necessary as a counterweight for the catapult?

the_slosh
29-12-2010, 23:41
because warpstone is skaven and it looks cool :D
Definitely a great release from GW this one, just waiting to see what other goodies they are hiding away (guessing there will be a few more after reading what's new today)
One thing that I could criticize about the HPA is the 1 way to position the arms, as this might get a bit repetitive when you see 2 of them in one army (which I'm guessing it will be a lot of :cheese:)
All in all thumbs up GW, keep it coming!

Proctorkorps
30-12-2010, 05:38
I'm personally loving it. The paint scheme could be better, but overall the whole thing looks like a Blanche sketch made plastic. The only problem I see myself suffering in the future is the lack of friends I'll be making for fielding two of them. :p

Go away. ;)

anyway, the abom is *******' awesome, they did a really good job on it
although the skaven uniforms and heraldy... really? that's almost an insult to empire players. when the hell did skaven get uniforms other than colored shields? oh well. all in all, really good.

Haravikk
30-12-2010, 15:37
I saw one of the new models in my local games workshop and I have to say I really like it, the pictures on the site don't do it a huge amount of justice. I mean I was pretty skeptical of how it might turn out based on the artwork in the book, but the model is really true to it, without looking silly.

I also love the wheel that it has, lol. Still dunno if I want one, as I don't really want to add one to my army for game-play, but I might just grab one for the model.

Unfortunately the kit doesn't have all that many options, a few neck or upper arm pieces would have have allowed you to repose it a bit to make two very different looking without too much change needed, still, nothing a big blob or two of green stuff can't do!

Skitter-Squeek
30-12-2010, 17:39
I made my own abomination and it is still in the works as for this thing I will definately be getting it for conversion parts:evilgrin:

Squeek

Necrothrall
31-12-2010, 07:13
I really don't like it, I not sure as to why, it just does appeal to me.

I'm quite glad I shelled out an extra 20 on this guy, which I think looks a lot better

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_bnl_bnb_mon_004_000

Pacorko
31-12-2010, 07:23
Lovely... the battallion is now 55 quid.

The Warplightning cannon is... different. It's a good thing I don't need one, so it will be 2 Plague Catapults and extra bits for some weird conversion project for me.

Ikkit is schweet.

Ar-Gimilzor
31-12-2010, 07:48
It looks like a sitched-together monstrosity, which is quite appropriate imo. The only thing I don't like is that skull-head... it's a focal point for the model and it just looks jarringly out of place (the rest of it is flesh and steampunk). Nothing a bit of converting wouldn't fix, though.

kyussinchains
31-12-2010, 11:53
Lovely... the battallion is now 55 quid.

The Warplightning cannon is... different. It's a good thing I don't need one, so it will be 2 Plague Catapults and extra bits for some weird conversion project for me.

Ikkit is schweet.

I'm fairly sure that with a bit of conversion work you could get both the catapult and WLC out of that kit.....

I'm not happy with the kit at all myself, the two devices are just completely different, so they've had to compromise, and both of them suffer IMO

The warpstone counterweight looks tacked on to me, and the technological metallic WLC riding a shoddy wooden carriage looks wrong too.... nothing a bit of conversion work won't fix though.....

Razakel
31-12-2010, 12:36
New model looks stellar, it just took a long time to get an official one released. I look forward to shooting flaming cannon holes in them ! (and also getting my carefully placed Dwarf infantry sliced up by the unpredictable monstrosity from time to time) :P

Haravikk
31-12-2010, 15:16
The only thing I don't like is that skull-head...
I suppose it depends how you look at it, but the HPA is meant to be created from one of the weird burrowing worms found near Hell Pit, and they're supposed to be armoured I think. I assumed the "skull" was just part of the original creature that's left after all the ratty accessories have been grafted on, I think you could improve it just by choosing a different colour scheme.

I'm not sure I like either of the two colour schemes shown, but then I favour darker schemes in general. I do like the model though!

Vampiric16
31-12-2010, 16:06
Looks like a boss from House of the Dead or something similar. I don't collect skaven, but i'm tempted to purchase one simply to paint up, it's just that good.
I can only hope my goblins will get something that matches up to this high standard at somepoint :)

Grapeshot
31-12-2010, 16:21
The HPA looks more like a chaos spawn than a Chaos chaos spawn. The Eavy Metal makes it looks good.

Ikit Claw is my favorite character from the Skaven. The new model looks pretty but kind of futuristic. I still go for the old model.

venomx51
31-12-2010, 21:49
The HPA makes me wish my kid was that bit older so I could justify starting a 3rd army to my wife...

Narius Phinshredder
01-01-2011, 12:00
Here's a few pics for you all, Enjoy!

scarletsquig
01-01-2011, 13:56
I really don't like it, I not sure as to why, it just does appeal to me.

I'm quite glad I shelled out an extra 20 on this guy, which I think looks a lot better

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=mae_bnl_bnb_mon_004_000

Yeah, the maelstrom HPA also looks great.

I think the best approach would be to get one from GW and one from maelstrom.

That way you can field 2 of them without them looking identical to each other... the model is too random and variable to consider using 2 of the GW models, it'd just look odd.

isanti13
02-01-2011, 00:00
Here's a few pics for you all, Enjoy!

Is it on a chariot base or the bell sized base?

fastcarfreak
02-01-2011, 03:47
I believe its screaming bell sized

tezdal
02-01-2011, 05:36
Ugly, but still better than the new minotaurs

fastcarfreak
02-01-2011, 08:07
I think the model is fantastic. I'm not sure why some people are hating on it. This is honestly exactly what I expected from the model. It met all my expectations. It's as good a day as any to be a skaven player!!!! I pre-ordered 2 HPA, 2 plague catapults, the heraldry book, and the magic cards. I'm so excited!!

Urgat
02-01-2011, 10:13
Also not sure why a big chunk of warpstone is necessary as a counterweight for the catapult?

Because it's a mixed kit and that warp stone from the canon could be used there. That's why I'm so annoyed when people think mixed kits are such a wonderful idea. It's not, it's just the same kit put together another way with a couple main details different.

Earthbeard
02-01-2011, 10:30
I'm not so keen on it's various heads, they look a little too sedate/mundance for the monstrosity it should be, but otherwise, I like it.

Urgat
02-01-2011, 12:57
I believe its screaming bell sized

It must be enormous!

Col. Dash
02-01-2011, 15:29
That is one of the ugliest models GW has come up with in recent years, easily since the old chaos possessed, bias against the skaven aside. I normally love skaven models, which is why I blame GW for them being so broken, but this one is just hideously not cool looking. I know they needed a model, but this looks like a cave slug mixed with a horse done by a 3rd grader. I could greenstuff a pile and add eyes and arms to it and have it look better I think.

I like the Maelstrom one better as well, it looks sweet.

Nubl0
02-01-2011, 15:59
I love it! Already got two on preorder.

WarmbloodedLizard
02-01-2011, 16:05
i don't like it and it's way too expensive.

edit: with the bits and stuff it would probably be possible to make two hell-pits that look better than the original.

castlesmadeofsand
02-01-2011, 16:12
don't like the model at all. don't like the idea behind a lot of these oversized monster types that are becoming more prominent (thinking the hpa, the rumoured spider thing for O&G, the beastmen thing).

another thing that caught my attention was this line in the 'whats new today' bit- "Reading January's White Dwarf, having one abomination is OK but having two is particularly devastating and you can fit them in a 2,000pt army."
can anyone smell cheese?

WarmbloodedLizard
02-01-2011, 16:15
can anyone smell cheese?

we're talking about GW here: the smell of money is stronger.

UberBeast
02-01-2011, 17:45
The model looks great, but I'd stay away from that white paint-job.

theorox
02-01-2011, 17:51
The model looks great, but I'd stay away from that white paint-job.

+1. It looks better grey plastic than after an 'Eavy Metal paintjob. Those guys keep dropping the ball.

Theo

H33D
02-01-2011, 19:18
That model is ugly as sin. I like it! Better than the off-brand models IMHO. GW did a good job of creating this monstrosity if you ask me.

Narius Phinshredder
03-01-2011, 15:23
Believe me, it' a cool model! My only gripe is that there's a total of 9 heads, including the jaw head, Probably a good idea to leave some out and green stuff some of the indents. The rear end is cool with a barrel furnace platform "thingy" linked to a chest piece that has 3 warpstone injectors. It flows really well which i'm sad to say the WLC just doesn't!

BigbyWolf
03-01-2011, 16:29
I don't mind the Abom, but I'm happy that there's a kit for the Plagueclaw Catapult now. I intend to do a Pestilens Skaven army at some point so could do with one for that and convert another one from a Rock Lobber. I would have preferred a separate kit for them, with enough bits to customize them differently. I don't see an issue with the counter-weight, just because it's painted as warpstone by GW doesn't mean I can't paint mine as a plain hunk o' rock.

Odominus
04-01-2011, 10:31
Does this paint job make it any better?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=14700017a

Urgat
04-01-2011, 10:56
That's not a paintjob, that's an undercoat... :p

The bearded one
04-01-2011, 10:58
Apparantly that's the paintjob.
It's a bit dark but something like that works. Nice and simple.

I've seen it in real life, it's rather massive!
Which is cool! ^^ It looks far less chaotic in reality than on the pictures from GW's site.

loveless
04-01-2011, 14:40
i don't like it and it's way too expensive.

Really? When the powers-that-be said it was on a Screaming Bell base, I was certain it was going to be at least $57.75, so I was rather impressed it was only $49.50, given the size of it (and the fact it's a Rare).

I like the Maelstrom one better as well, it looks sweet.

While I've not seen it in person, every picture of the Maelstrom one looks shoddily sculpted. The details are off, somewhat, almost looking like an exercise in normal clay instead of the usual miniature construction equipment.

Not to say there's anything really wrong with it - I'm glad there are options. The GW one just strikes me as better - more defined despite being more monstrous, and better-fitting of the background (as well it should be, being from the same company that created the background :p)

pauduro
05-01-2011, 03:24
Yeap Love the GW one :D the Maelstrom one not for me thanks :wtf:

Urgat
05-01-2011, 09:12
Apparantly that's the paintjob.

Sorry, I forgot a smiley (i'll edit my post); I know, but really, that's one lazy paintjob. Taking speedpainting a little too literrally? :D (I'm not saying everybody should paint to Heavy Metal standards -that being said, these days, well...) but it's for show on the GW website, couldn't they find better? Ah well, maybe not, maybe they couldn't.

Kees
05-01-2011, 20:48
I don't like the Ogre-kingdom-gorger pose it has going on. Do like the rest of the model, just think it should be more posable so you wouldn's get 2 with the same pose.

Svarten
05-01-2011, 21:52
I like it! xD
But a rarely, if ever, use a HPA in my Skaven army...