PDA

View Full Version : Most Common Ork Klans painted?

Cain1001
30-12-2010, 18:10
I am at the beginning stages of a new Ork force after playing IG, Black Templars, Tau and Necrons.

At my local store I see mostly Deathskullz and some variation of speedfreakz with red etc.

What are the most common klans?

I personally like the Deathskullz background and enjoy painting half a green face with Ice Blue.

To be different though, I am leaning towards Bad Moons.

dragonet111
30-12-2010, 18:24
Yellow is difficult to paint. If you like to paint, bad moon is a good choice, challenging and nice looking.

SumYungGui
30-12-2010, 18:32
Whichever one you want honestly. Since Orks aren't space marines they got their klans butchered and 'streamlined' to the point of near worthlessness. It really is just a color scheme these days, so paint whichever you think looks best.

Getifa Ubazza
30-12-2010, 18:45
The most common scheme I see is black and brown with a little bit of red for details. I suppose that would be closest to Goffs.

Badmoons would be lovely. I have never seen them on a games table in my life.

AndrewGPaul
30-12-2010, 19:35
Yellow is difficult to paint. If you like to paint, bad moon is a good choice, challenging and nice looking.

Vallejo 877 Goldbrown (or something like Bubonic Brown), Gryphonne Sepia, highlight with Sunburst Yellow. Job done. Not the brightest yellow, but it'll be fine for Orks. It'll go on over black, too.

Clang
30-12-2010, 20:25
Yes, I'm sure that was a major reason we saw so few Bad Moonz :) Yellow has become a lot easier now we have the Foundation Paints yellow, which is a great undercoat primer for one of the brighter yellows.

I'm surprised we don't see more Goffs - other than the check pattern, they're pretty easy to paint.

i too love Deff Skullz, but proper looted uniforms (each uniquely different) take forever to paint :(

carlisimo
30-12-2010, 20:33
Whichever one you want honestly. Since Orks aren't space marines they got their klans butchered and 'streamlined' to the point of near worthlessness. It really is just a color scheme these days, so paint whichever you think looks best.

Why would you prefer a restrictive approach to building a klan-themed army rather than the open-ended one we have today?

Cain1001
30-12-2010, 20:54
Sounds like I need to create my own klan and color scheme. I think if I do a preset klan it will be Badmoons.

If it is Bad Moons I go with, anyone have a source for Crescent Moon bits etc?

Mannimarco
30-12-2010, 20:56
*remembers the last ork army I fought......*

Night camo, black clothes, black skin, black weapons

Hrw-Amen
30-12-2010, 21:00
I've gone for Badmoons. I wanted to paint some yellow marines a while ago but realised my skills were just not up to it. Orks on the other hand I could get away with as the badly painted yellow can be washed over with browns and blacks to make it look dirty anyway so it does not show so much that I am not so good at it.

Korraz
30-12-2010, 21:12
-Goffs
-Evil Sunz
-Bad Moons
-Blue Skullz
-Snakebites
-Blood Axes

Pretty much in this order, from my experiences. Just talking colour schemes here. Blood Axes count is actually Zero.
Edit: I should mention that I mean the armies I have played against or otherwise seen in *the reality*.

LonelyPath
30-12-2010, 22:00
Bad Moonz are a good klan to paint, my original Ork army for Rogue Trader and 2nd Edition was based heavily on them. As for the moon symbols, the Nobz box comes with one and they can be bought individually for very cheap on bitz sites. I picked up a bunch for pennies each for my Flash Gitz and Lootas (Bad Moons have better, bigger stuff) ;)

Oh yes, my current Orks are Goffs with a mix of Bad Moonz for the Flash Gitz (some habits die hard in my armies). The checkered pattern for Goffs isn't that difficult to do so long as you have a little patience, but I do mine in a rush, as I believe the slightly messier image looks more Orky ;)

DuskRaider
30-12-2010, 22:01
I myself have Blood Axes. A lot of fun to paint up camo wearing Orks I suppose, after Ork Boy #60 you get a little bored, but the same can be said with any Ork scheme, IMO.

totgeboren
30-12-2010, 22:33
I got a Blood Axe warband, though it started off as a Dethskulls-themed warband during 4:ed.

I have never seen a Snakebites warband in my life. Seen some boarboys conversions, and the old 2:ed boarboys, but never a warband.
Strange, considering the old 3:ed list for primitive orks (with bs3) was considered much stronger than the standard codex list.

Most common, looking at The-Waaagh atleast would be Dethskulls and Evil Suns i think. I guess it has alot to do with the paintjob. The blue warpaint looks really nice and is fun to paint, and red ork vehicles look very striking on the tabletop.

AndrewGPaul
30-12-2010, 23:33
Even back when the Orks had six different Clan army lists, every army list could take Boyz from every Clan. Any self-respecting Warboss wants some lads from the other clans around - they're useful as cannon fodder if nothing else. :)

Darnok
31-12-2010, 00:16
I personally like the Deathskullz background and enjoy painting half a green face with Ice Blue.

Personally, I wouldn't need much more than this. I f you like the background, like painting it, why not just do it?

On the other hand: they are Orks. You can do pretty much whatever you want.

susu.exp
31-12-2010, 01:08
Sounds like I need to create my own klan and color scheme. I think if I do a preset klan it will be Badmoons.

If it is Bad Moons I go with, anyone have a source for Crescent Moon bits etc?

No, you donīt create your own clan. At least not if youīre being fluffy. Thatīs like coming up with a 5th Chaos god, or your own SM Legion...
What you can come up with is your own tribe.

When Orks are spawned they are drawn towards other Orks around, local settlements, etc. Such bunches of Orks are generally run by a Nob or when large enough Warghboss and are tribes. Now, the clans are quite a different structure. All Orks love Kunnin, Speed, Krumpiness, Lootin, Teef and Spituality. But the degree in which they do varies from Ork to Ork. The 6 Clans are groups that form in these tribes out of common interest. Orks that very much enjoy having lots of teeth are Bad Moonz, Orks that love to think up Kunning Planz are Blood Axes, Orks that enjoy getting high on poison and find Gork (or Mork) are Snakebites. In small tribes not all of the Clans may be present.
Orks whose interests arenīt that specialized, or who canīt find mates enjoying the same thing in their tribe are freebooterz.
Now, in Waarghs where many tribes unite under a Waarghlord Orks tend to split up their tribes and fall into clan lines - letīs face it, youīre not going to stick with the Evil sunz that happen to come from the same lump of rock if you can hang out witht he other Snakebites and try out their local fungi.

So the tribes are where you can get very creative and some of the clans allow that as well (Iīve always like Blood Axes, because they steal their tactics and looks from other forces. Since the IG is so nummerous, thatīs most often the IG, but some groups of Blood Axes immitate Marines, Eldar Aspects, Tau, Necrons... Iīm building an army of blood axes where all da boyz are sistaz!). But donīt call Waarghboss Gobsmackaz a Clan, because it isnīt.

The obvious answer to the crescent moon bit question is: Fantasy Night Goblins.

overlordofnobodies
31-12-2010, 02:28
For my Waarghs I just made a few of each. A 30 boys mob are painted as Goffs, a biker mod are painted as Evil Sunz, Lootas & Burna are painted as Blue Skullz ect....
The only klans I dont have are Bad Moons and Snakebites.

Chem-Dog
31-12-2010, 03:31

Obviously yet to try Tau sept Ochre or Illanden Dark Sun from the foundation paint range....

I have never seen a Snakebites warband in my life. Seen some boarboys conversions, and the old 2:ed boarboys, but never a warband.
Strange, considering the old 3:ed list for primitive orks (with bs3) was considered much stronger than the standard codex list.

Actually a buddy of mine started one with the Chapter Approved Feral Orks list, we bashed around a few ideas at the time like a Boar powered Trukk/Charriot and Cyboars as Bikes.
He got as far as converting up a few mobs up with furs and whatnot last time I had anywhere near enough time to talk to him (he went and got married). But yeah, the ONLY Snakebites army I've ever been aware of.

No, you donīt create your own clan. At least not if youīre being fluffy. Thatīs like coming up with a 5th Chaos god, or your own SM Legion...

QFT

The obvious answer to the crescent moon bit question is: Fantasy Night Goblins.

The Nobs kit has one in it...Here (http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/ork-nob-pole-icon-bad-moon-p-3269.html).

The Clairvoyant
31-12-2010, 10:47
Well my own army is a mixed bag a la 2nd edition (although mostly new models with a few old bosses thrown in as nobz for various mobz).

I have goff and snakebite mobz which are slugga/choppa, a bad moon mob with shootas, bad moon meganobz (the lovely 2nd ed models), deathskull lootas (obviously), blood axe kommandos and evil sunz bikers.

My battlewagons are again various clans. 3 of my old RT battlewagons are blood axe, 1 of them is badmoon and 1 is still unpainted after all these years! I have a new battlewagon in goff colours (for my warboss and his nobz) and a converted leman russ is still in undercoat as i haven't decided on the clan yet.
I then plan to buy a Dark Eldar Raider to convert into a battlewagon for my Flash Gitz. Yes i do have too many battlwagons!

I prefer the 2nd ed style of using several clans in one army.

Moriarty
31-12-2010, 15:17
I myself have Blood Axes. A lot of fun to paint up camo wearing Orks I suppose, after Ork Boy #60 you get a little bored, but the same can be said with any Ork scheme, IMO.

Remember, just because it's a como scheme, it doesn't have to be the _same_ camo scheme. Mix in jungle, urban, temperate, desert for an 'orky' look.

UberBeast
31-12-2010, 17:08
I started with blood axes and quickly got bored after a few years of the whole camo thing. Right now I have 8k (and growing) fully painted Bad Moons in a vivid yellow and blue color scheme.

Jayden63
31-12-2010, 18:12
My Orks are Badmoons. I used yellow for accents rather than primary color. It holds with the clan colors and it was a lot easier to just paint splashes of yellow rather then whole models of yellow.

I also really love Nasdreg's (Badmoons Warlord) background and character. Too bad he got shafted in the current Ork codex. But if you can find info on him, I think you will find he is right up there with Gazzy on the badass scale.

Cain1001
31-12-2010, 19:24
I am going to use the multi clan method of painting for now.

Lootas = Deathskullz
Nob bikers or Nob's = Bad Moon
Boyz = combo of any/all
Warboss = any
Big Mek = Bad moon or Deathskullz
Vehicles = badmoon and deathskullz
Kans and dreads = badmoon and deathskullz

jonadaya
31-12-2010, 20:39
Bad Moons are my favorite, and are not that hard to paint nowadays...

TheWarmaster
31-12-2010, 20:48
Death Skullz would have been my clan if I ever got around to collecting orks. My friend's painting his as Bad moons, though.

Ulrig
31-12-2010, 21:11
I do bad moon orks.
Yellow is pretty easy now with the foundation paints.
1 coat of foundation over black...then 2-3 coats of sunburst yellow.
I have been giving mine a greasy look with sophia. But now I am doing the sponged brown/black with boltmetal over that for a chipped paint look.

Its kind of funny, my best friend wanted me do his space marines imperial fist. Then I couldnt do it, now I am pretty sure I could do it successfully with the stuff out there now and my improved skillz.

SonOfSquee
01-01-2011, 16:57
I have about 150 painted dethskulls. They add some color to the army as you can paint different limbs and do some tattoos in blue/white. I am also starting a second ork army at this time as a madboy army.

Grubnar
03-01-2011, 06:24
Most Ork armies I have seen are made up of Goff-ish core of boys with maybe few units in a clan specific color scheme. For example a unit of Lootas may have blue warpaint, or a mob of Meganobz may be painted Bad Moon yellow.

When it comes to entire armies being painted in a clan specific color, I think Blood Axes are most numerous. Sadly I do not remember ever seeing a Snakebites army. Not even once.

Covering Fire
03-01-2011, 08:33
I'm starting up a Death Skullz army (link below and Warboss to the left:)) simply because I like the colour scheme and the fluff. I'm using skull white and mordian blue to create markings and warpaint on my Orks.