PDA

View Full Version : Prices

Wyrdstone
31-12-2010, 01:36
Woah I haven't played WH for a couple years now and I was just looking at the recent models.

The stuff has got incredibally expensive.

15 for 10 plastic empire state troops! That isn't even realistic. Who wants just 10 guys anyway?
Perry miniatures does like 40 guys for 18 (GW would be selling this at like 60 then...)

I guess you get this a lot but christ I'm not gonna be coming back into this hobby.

rodmillard
31-12-2010, 01:43
Don't ditch the hobby, ditch the brand. Mantic, the Perrys, Warlord Games, Gripping Beast... There are plenty of companies out there doing high quality plastics nowadays. The going rate for historicals is 18-20 for 40 infantry or 12 cavalry; Mantic's fantasy armies come in slightly higher than that (25, give or take). If you don't have to play in a GW store and you aren't into tournaments (even if you are, more and more tournaments are dropping the GW only stipulation these days), then there are plenty of options out there.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
31-12-2010, 01:53
But then again. GW has that certain look and charm that you want and want to pay for.

I haven't found any competitors really compatible with the GW look - beyond a few single miniatures.

I choose GW for the minis and the charm of the background fluff, and I find that they're worth every penny :)

koran
31-12-2010, 01:54
Look, Im not a fan of the current warhammer rules as it seems based around getting people to buy a lot of models that they have jacked the prices of up ridiculously. So Im the first person to complain about getting ripped off.

However, the other GW games (including the old warhammer edition) have excellent rules and are not so heavily based around selling. If you are stuck on playing warhammer and dont like warhammer 40k or epic (in my opinion the best rules set that GW has produced by a mile) then as people have mentioned there are other model options depending what army you want to do. Another option as you seem to have spent some time looking at other historical models would be to play something like warhammer historical. This game has great rules and you can use whatever models you like.

Other ideas would be to buy models on Ebay or other trade websites where, if you spend some time looking, you can pick up some total bargains. Or there are a number of websites that sell GW models for up to 30% off if that helps.

Basically there are a lot of options open to you depending what you want so post up what sort of a thing you are looking for and Im sure we will be happy to help.

sulla
31-12-2010, 05:07
If you can stand the looks of other manufacturers products, go for it. GW made a bit of a mistake with the empire plastics IMO. Whereas skaven got fairly cheap plastic core, empire got theirs priced like elven elites. I think the pricing of their elite troops is acceptable (of course, I'd prefer cheaper, but that's the same with everything in life), but I'd balk at paying the prices they ask for, say, halberdiers. They should have done these guys in 20packs with much more limited poses/parts for much cheaper. Gamers don't need 1000 different options for core as much as they need a low price to field plenty of them.

Wintermute
31-12-2010, 07:55
We have a thread dedicated to GW's Pricing Policy here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209297).

Thread Closed

Wintermute