PDA

View Full Version : Grey knight custom dice, for grey knights.

jack da greenskin
02-01-2011, 18:36
I'm looking to get some grey knight custom dice made, and if all goes according to plan, hopefully you will be able to order them with me. This thread is for me to gather information as to what people would want these dice to look like.

First thing, most noticeable, is the size. What size would you find best?
-12mm is the "standard" size for dice, you can fit 27 of them in GW dice containers, 36 in a chessex box. with the price I'm hoping for, 27 will still be expensive. There will also not be as much detail on them then.
-16mm is the size of the scatter dice from GW. Not as portable, but hopefully will emphasize the quality and uniqueness of these dice. 12 will fit in a chessex box. More detail in the insignia too. they might be a bit more expensive, but I feel it'll be worth it, as they will look/feel better, and you will need less of them.

Tins, boxes and bags.
-Chessex make (24)x12mm and (12)x16mm boxes. Clear plastic, with a lid. about a pound. I hope to order in quite a few of whatever size dice we pick, so I can send those with the dice. Cheap, cheerful, and what I think will be a good option.
-Dice bags? I dont really like them, but if most people want one then I can get those too. They will have the insignia we pick on, but they dont look quality, or fit with the whole grey knight psyche. Tell me if you would want this option.

Colour.
-Grey. or
-Silver. Hopefully not block of either colour, marbled perhaps. black and silver marbled.

Insignia. Now we're getting to the good bits.
-Inquisitorial I. Like this. (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/bf/Adeptus_Ministorum_Symbol.jpg/100px-Adeptus_Ministorum_Symbol.jpg)
-another symbol? Not too sure what others are out there. It can't be anything too GWesque, because they might have copyright on it. Suggest it anyway and I'll check.

Where? I'm thinking of having that symbol replace the 1, but it could be the 6. We can also have different symbols on different facings, but that might get confusing.

Quantities. Going to various sites and amassing multiple orders, I hope to have somewhere between 1000 and 1500 dice to order. This will hopefully mean I can offer them for about 70-75p each. That's 0.75, or $1.15. Ordering more and hopefully some masterful negotiation on my part will be able to bring that down, and I'm sure I can offer some kind of discount for ordering 12 and a box.

When? I'm hoping to get this done and having them sent out just before the GW grey knight releases, so you have your new dice to game with. Like I said, I'm emphasizing the quality of these, and even a small amount of 5-10 should have some presence on the tabletop. Any extras I order may well be sold publicly, on ebay or similar. They will be alot more expensive (I'm thinking 10 for 5) than what I'm offering here, so dont wait until then if you want some.

So please, your oppinions are incredibly valued. Colour, size, symbol, and most importantly, if you are interested in them, and how many you'd be looking at getting. Post here or PM me with how many you're thinking of, and I'll PM/email you when I'm taking orders so you wont be missed out. But I really need to know around about how many people will be wanting.

Dreamseru
03-01-2011, 00:51
personally

the 'I' on one
a different symbol on six

I rather like Chessex dice so Chessex sized dice would be my preference, I was thinking that IF I get them it would be a dnd set of dice,
d4
d6
d8
d10
d12
d20
d100

but dont order a set of dnd like dice if im the only one who wants it, im most likely not going to grab these.

I am not entirely sure if I do want these dice, but you definitely have my support, I probably wont help all that much aside from voicing my opinion when I feel It would be appropriate.

they should be grey knights grey.

dont make them see through, they would probably look horrible if they were see through grey.

what you could do is put the 'I' on every side but modify it to be like roman numerals.

is this enough info to give you an idea? or do I need to post more information?

I do have a tyranids player who's going to grab some grey knights, so I may give him some of these for his birthday.

AlexHolker
03-01-2011, 02:48
Insignia. Now we're getting to the good bits.
-Inquisitorial I. Like this. (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/bf/Adeptus_Ministorum_Symbol.jpg/100px-Adeptus_Ministorum_Symbol.jpg)
-another symbol? Not too sure what others are out there. It can't be anything too GWesque, because they might have copyright on it. Suggest it anyway and I'll check.

Where? I'm thinking of having that symbol replace the 1, but it could be the 6. We can also have different symbols on different facings, but that might get confusing.
Could you do the Grey Knights chapter symbol (the book and sword) with four pips at the corners of the pages and the other two either on the spine or the point and pommel of the sword? It would make it obvious what it means, and means you put it on the best side instead of the worst.

Bestaltan
03-01-2011, 02:55
Wow, you've hit on potential marketing gold. It would be incredible if GW or FW came up with army-themed dice bricks.

jack da greenskin
03-01-2011, 09:53
Could you do the Grey Knights chapter symbol (the book and sword) with four pips at the corners of the pages and the other two either on the spine or the point and pommel of the sword? It would make it obvious what it means, and means you put it on the best side instead of the worst.

Is there any need for the pips? Lovely idea with the book and sword, hopefully though, knowing that that is the 6 should be enough, an look better.

Cheers for the feedback,

Mawchild
03-01-2011, 10:03
Why not change the 6 to 666 isn't that the GK's chapter number?

Shadow Marine
03-01-2011, 10:50
I'll be up for some of these. AT least 10 or 20 (if in 12mm size).

Emperors Teeth
03-01-2011, 11:01
You might want to get in touch with Shabbadoo (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=2642)... he organised the Kustom Orky Dice project, and did a great job. The company he used was Q-Workshop, but you had to make a fairly hefty minimum order to get a reasonable price. You would have to come up with your own design due to trademarking/copyright laws. Again, talk to Shabbadoo, he's had experience with this.

On a side note, I havea scarcely used GK army and would be interested in getting in on an order.

jack da greenskin
03-01-2011, 11:15
I'll be up for some of these. AT least 10 or 20 (if in 12mm size).

So your definitely in favour of the 12mm size? do you mind if I ask why?

You might want to get in touch with Shabbadoo (http://www.warseer.com/forums/member.php?u=2642)... he organised the Kustom Orky Dice project, and did a great job.

I PM'd him on the waaagh, Where I saw him do the waves 2&3 of the custom ork dice. But upset I didnt order some myself.

I've gone to Q-workshop and a few other dice printing companies, but cheers for the heads up.

Shadow Marine
03-01-2011, 13:59
Jack: I just prefer 12mm, the size seems more fitting for 40k, the bigger ones seem more board gamey!

MarcoSkoll
03-01-2011, 18:43
That's not the Inquisitorial I. That's the Ministorum.

The Inquisitorial I looks more like this (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/RagnarokEOTW/IMG_1295.jpg) - which is a set of 16mm dice GW did for Inquisitor WAAAY back. I wish I'd picked up two lots (although I do have another similar set that were made for The Conclave forums at the end of 2009).
But bear in mind, dice printing places will probably ask if you have the copyright for the image you use. And if you're selling them, GW can (and probably will, if they find out) get snotty/snooty if you do use any of their trademarks or copyrights.

IAMNOTHERE
03-01-2011, 19:03
I'm in, 12 mm square sided dice please (non of this round gw rubbish) with the book and blade on the 6.

You'll need a contrasting colour for the numbers/pips - nothing worse than everything blending together. Red is a good strong contrast to grey or silver - and it fits with the whole GK thing.

MarcoSkoll
03-01-2011, 19:58
I've never got the "Symbol for the 6" thing that some people do with custom dice. To me, it's one symbol, so it means one.

It's just so alien to have a single symbol mean 6 that I just won't buy custom dice that are like that. The appeal of putting it on the high roll just isn't enough that I'm prepared to sacrifice the intuitiveness of "one means one".

Shnerg
03-01-2011, 20:34
+1. I do like the idea though. It would go well with my inquisitor themed IG.

CoolKidRoc
03-01-2011, 20:35
This is what I did for my dice http://thewraithgate.blogspot.com/2010/06/inquisitions-new-dice.html

jack da greenskin
03-01-2011, 20:47
I know what you mean about the 1=1 thing, I'd rather be putting it on the 1, but then only seeing your custom-ness when you're rolling bad seems a bit annoying :(