PDA

View Full Version : Starting two armys (skaven and lizardmen)

zis
03-01-2011, 21:10
Ok I have not been playing fantasy sinc 5 ed, now i have been thinking about
starting a small lizardmen and skaven force, As they both have nice models and i have had an interest for both armys sinc a long time.

My questions today are:
How are these armys to play today?
Are skinks still skrimishers or do they walk in ranks today?
Are both armys competetive?
How are the 8 edition rules have they been made more simple and fast to play compaired to older editions?

Pharolyx
03-01-2011, 22:12
How are these armys to play today?
They're actually both very "safe" armies to play in 8th edition, because not only are they competitive, but they're also still fun to play and play against, although some would argue they're not fun to play against. :rolleyes:

Are skinks still skrimishers or do they walk in ranks today?
Both. There are units of skinks that can also field Kroxigors in the center of them, and then there are skink skirmishers with javelins/blowpipes who are excellent disruptor units. Both useful in 8th!

Are both armys competetive?
Both armies are very competitive, but I definitely wouldn't say "broken" or even "OP."

How are the 7 edition rules have they been made more simple and fast to play compaired to older editions?
8th Edition? They're extremely balanced compared to previous editions, but if you haven't played since 5th, the transition period and learning curves will be tough; the game is almost 100% different from what it was in the good ol' days, my friend. :p

Just something to add: not sure what you meant by "small" armies, but both of these armies are not only much more effective at larger scales, but much more fun to play (Lizzies moreso than Skaven).

zis
03-01-2011, 22:22
Oh is it 8 edition now? haha time really goes fast it seems.
And by small i mean 2000p armys that was the most common back when i played atleast.

How are lizardmen to play? Are slann still great at magic?

Pharolyx
03-01-2011, 22:40
Oh is it 8 edition now? haha time really goes fast it seems.
And by small i mean 2000p armys that was the most common back when i played atleast.

How are lizardmen to play? Are slann still great at magic?

Slann are still arguably the best casters in the game, but HE Book of Hoeth users are close. The thing about magic in 8th is that when you cast with Irresistible Force (still two ore more 6's), you also miscast after the spell's effect is resolved. However, rolling IF is the only way you can miscast now, so it's good and bad to roll IF. The Slann have an item that makes their first cast transfer to an enemy wizard (which rocks), but Book of Hoeth creates IF on any roll of a double and the HE player doesn't need to roll on the miscast table. And when I say miscast results are nasty in 8th, I mean they are NASTY!

But yeah, Lizardmen are still a really fun army to play, as are Skaven. If you're only planning on playing 2k points, then you can only afford to have 500 points spent for Lord choices (which should easily cover your Slann who typically costs 420-450 points), as you may only have 25% of your army's points be spent on Lord choices.

PM me if you want, and I'll give you a decent overall summary of how 8th edition works so that you know basically what to expect before popping open the rulebook.