PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sisters Special Character

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 03:55
Canoness Commander Ecaterina Revina is the leader of one of the Commanderies of the Order of the Obsidian Rose, a lesser order of the Sisters of Battle. Her armor is the Obsidian Carapace, a suit of Artificer Armor blessed, some say, by the Emperor himself. She carries an Incinerator and the sacred Rose Blade.

She has spent time training alongside the Grey Knights, and she and her retinue enjoy some equipment not seen by many Sisters. Canoness Commander Ecaterina Revina herself has an Incinerator while while each member of her retinue has Artificer Armor. Her retinue consists of her Sister-Captain and 4 Sisters-Knight.

For the stats and such, <shamelessplug>visit my blog (http://shinysilverinq.blogspot.com/2011/01/canoness-commander-ecaterina-revina.html).</shamelessplug> I admit it's probably a bit over the top, but I think the point cost is appropriate.

Edit: Updated in line with current vision.

MarcoSkoll
04-01-2011, 04:29
Sorry to be negative, but in fluff terms, some of that just doesn't work.

As far as the Black Carapace, it's expressly set out that Space Marine implants can only grow in males that meet a very specific genetic pattern - it just can't work for women. (So it feels like an excuse to justify S & T values of 4.)
And the training alongside the Grey Knights is also very questionable. Firstly, Space Marine training is way too tough for any human to keep up with, and second, they answer to the Inquisition, not the Ecclesiarchy, so they would likely not suffer an outsider.

While I applaud people willing to write their own characters rather than just obsessively sticking to the books, they shouldn't just be used an excuse to write the statline and equipment you want. Special characters usually include some kind of compromise, an area in which they can't upgrade to the level that a standard HQ choice might be able to.

Chem-Dog
04-01-2011, 04:38
1 minor fluff point to raise.
Adeptus Sorroritas = The military arm of the ecclesiarchy (and later co-opted by the Ordo Hereticus). The Ecclesiarch is incredibly intollerant of Psykers.
Grey Knights = Psykers.

Otherwise.
Black Carapace? Is this to justify her T4? just saying she's hard isn't enough? How about making her armour grant +1T (already included in profile). In short, put as many of her bonus features and unique abilities as possible down to the armour to make it sound more special :) Black Carapace + boobs = headache ;)

Incinerator = heavy flamer with special fuel, so no problem there (although I'd just give her a Heavy flamer in that situation, possibly a "twin linked" one).
Refractor Fields. Why? the Rosarius is the default field save piece of equipment for Sorroritas/Ecclesiarchy. Either give them all a Rosarius OR give Ecaterina Revina a special Save bubble that lends an Inv or Cover save to the unit she is with.
Rose blade. Blessed weapon that re-rolls misses to hit... Nowt wrong with this really. I'd be tempted to make the re-rolls down to a Celestian like universal hatred/Preferred Enemy mechanic, it's not important really, but it's nice to tie in changes with stuff that already exists in the army when possible.
The Eternal warrior bit...It's good that it's an effect of the armour but the wording doesn't chime. Something like "Blessing that wards against even the most lethal killing blow" sound a little better than "it's a bit like another piece of wargear's effects (but better)".

I take it she's built to rumble with Daemons?

As far as the Black Carapace, it's expressly set out that Space Marine implants can only grow in males that meet a very specific genetic pattern - it just can't work for women. (So it feels like an excuse to justify S & T values of 4.)

I'd argue that a particularly butch lady might be a biological match for the implant (for argument's sake we'll ignore the interdependancy of certain SM implants) but I do tend to agree it looks like a case of wanting a higher S and T.

I'd go wit +1 S & T granted by the armour, if you had to go for it.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 04:40
Lest you forget the Sisters also answer to the Inquisition. Sisters have fought alongside the Grey Knights. A couple instances are detailed in the book Grey Knights. The Black Carapace bit I can accept, but I would like your source for it being expressly disallowed to women. The Inquisition does some interesting experiments. As I recall, one tried to use the Tyranids as a weapon once. So perhaps Canoness Revina was such an experiment that happened to be successful?

But yes, it was basically an excuse to give her a SM statline. :p

Chem-Dog
04-01-2011, 04:56
Lest you forget the Sisters also answer to the Inquisition. Sisters have fought alongside the Grey Knights. A couple instances are detailed in the book Grey Knights.

Oh yes, but fighting alongside and hanging out with are two different things ;)

The Black Carapace bit I can accept, but I would like your source for it being expressly disallowed to women.

Recruits must be fairly young, because implants often do not become fully functional if the recipient has reached a certain level of physical maturity. They must be male because the zygotes are keyed to male hormones and tissue types. (They must be male because the zygotes are keyed to male hormones and tissue types.)

It's a pretty cardinal piece of 40K lore

The Inquisition does some interesting experiments. As I recall, one tried to use the Tyranids as a weapon once.

Lord Inquisitor Kryptman, yeah, earned him a Carta Extremis for his efforts.

Basically, the knowledge needed to make Marine material is pretty much lost, that's why the progenoids are so important, they allow new implants to be grown, unfortunatly the march of time shows that occasionally this system fails and several Chapters have faulty implants or have lost their utility altogether. If an Adeptus Sorroritas individual were the sole survivor or an Inquisitor's private biology study, I doubt she'd be released into normal service again afterwards.

AlexHolker
04-01-2011, 04:59
The Black Carapace bit I can accept, but I would like your source for it being expressly disallowed to women.
It is expressly disallowed to anything that isn't a Space Marine. That includes SoB, Inquisitors and anyone else.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 04:59
Right you are about the Black Carapace. But my order is a bit more chummy on the Inquisitorial side, so I'm going to stick with the GK pals bit. ;)

So Modifications: Remove the fluff about the Black Carapace, move the 4S and 4T into the armor, change the Rose Blade's reroll hits to just Master-Crafted, and remove the reference to how wimpy the Mantle of Ophelia is. I'm not sure how to handle the Refractor Fields yet.

Chem-Dog
04-01-2011, 05:06
Right you are. But my order is a bit more chummy on the Inquisitorial side, so I'm going to stick with the GK pals bit. ;)

Fair enough.

change the Rose Blade's reroll hits to just Master-Crafted

IIRC a Blessed Weapon IS mastercrafted.

remove the reference to how wimpy the Mantle of Ophelia is.

Lol

I'm not sure how to handle the Refractor Fields yet.

You don't have to, I'd just stick to the established fluff approved default alternative. You want a 5+Inv instrad of a 4+Inv, go for it.

MarcoSkoll
04-01-2011, 05:22
Lest you forget the Sisters also answer to the Inquisition.
Everyone answers to the Inquisition.

But normally of course, the Sisters answer to the Ecclesiarchy - it's a shame that a lot of people have got the mistaken idea that they're the militant arm of the Ordo Hereticus. I blame the Witch Hunters codex. (Well, what else can I blame?)

So perhaps Canoness Revina was such an experiment that happened to be successful?
I know you've ditched it now, but while the Inquisition do such experiments, they tend to keep the results hidden away and denied (that is if they work, as opposed to needing to be executed/euthanised), not put into the Sororitas and allowed to get promoted to a high and obvious rank.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 05:24
IIRC a Blessed Weapon IS mastercrafted.

You do recall correctly. I'm thinking of keeping the reroll all misses bit just to make it not Yet-Another-Standard-Blessed-Weapon. I think I'll remove the bonus strength and toughness since even a Living Saint doesn't get to be that awesome. However, I think I will increase the WS of both the Canoness and Sister-Captain (to 6 and 5 respectively).

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2011, 08:46
The Black Carapace is also the last implant a Marine receives. It marks the honor of becoming a full Space Marine.

LonelyPath
04-01-2011, 20:08
Personally I would get rid of the mentions of the black carapace (do as Chem-Dog suggested above and have her armour grant +1 T) and also her armour was blessed by the Emperor himself. I'd change that to is being previously blessed and worn by a Saint in her Order. That would be more feasible.

I also doubt she trained alongside the GK, though she may have fought alongside them on occasion (making her one of very few people to have seen them more than once seeing how witnesses are likely to be bombed to death in the first place, lol).

I see no reasoning for her to have the same stats as a SM captain though, the Sister-Captain and others also see a little to tough to me. Take the standard Celestians and Palatine stats and tweak them a little (giving her SC WS5 T4 and leaving the others as they are but AA and maybe twin-linked equipment). The Incinerator is GK only, give her a twin-linked heavy flamer (also suggested above).

Inspiring Leadership is to much, it really should only effect other Sororitas units and then I'd limit it to LoS at best, though a aura of 12" would be better.

If you decide to keep her as she is though, I'd raise her points by another 50 ;)