PDA

View Full Version : Design your own USR

Chem-Dog
04-01-2011, 05:52
This is for fun really, so you don't have to be too serious with it, but by all means be serious if you want to :)

Rules are:
1: It's a USR so can be applied across the game, not just your army (so it can't be an auto win button for you :p), obviously set D6 values for your USR are open to tweaking by certain units and effects (like improved FNP for example), so no need to list them, just the basic rule.
Remember USR's don't have to be perks (like Vulnerable to blasts/templates).

2: As a USR it can enhance or bypass game effects or rules BUT it should not require ANY additional rules to implement (IE it should fit in the current USR pages) besides the USR itself. But that's not to say you can't use it to try and fix something you think is a problem in the game.

3: No fiddling with existing USR's.

4: Play nice.

I'll start the ball rolling.
Daemonic. Creatures that are Daemonic have certain vulnerabilities (and Invulnerabilities).
Essentially it ports the Daemon rule from Codex: Chaos Daemons and applies it across the board to anything that is subsequently designated as "Daemonic" be it a Vehicle, Infantry or Monsterous Creature. Also allows effects that target Daemons and their ilk to simply "Effect any model that has the Daemonic USR" rather than laboriously list vulnerable targets and subsequently have units immune when they logically shouldn't be JUST because they were created AFTER the unit that they should be vulnerable to was.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 06:17
I like Daemonic. It's nice.

Trigger Happy: A variant of Rage. A unit with this USR can always premeasure for shooting, but if in range they will always shoot the nearest enemy unit. If a target is in range, they will be unable to run as the urge to pull the trigger is just too great! They can still move and assault as normal, and, if they have multiple ranged weapons with range capability to shoot, they can choose which to fire.

AlexHolker
04-01-2011, 06:44
This is a rule I suggested be added to Sarissas (give it to Kroot, too):

Bayonet charge: Units with this rule may use Rapid Fire weapons and assault in the same turn.

Lord-Caerolion
04-01-2011, 06:54
Terror Troops: Enemy units are at -1 Ld in combat with a unit with this rule, unless they are Fearless.

Ultrasmurf
04-01-2011, 07:10
Tactical insertion- The models entering the game on the 1st turn through deepstrike may choose to reroll failed scatter dice roles

Formerly Wu
04-01-2011, 07:58
I rather like Daemonic. An elegant way to simplify an obscure but irritating problem. As for my contribution:

Cannon Fodder
Units with this rule do not count toward any victory conditions. They may not claim objectives (although they may contest), and they do not give the enemy Kill Points when destroyed.

Kurisu313
04-01-2011, 08:06
Brutal Assault (X)
When a unit with Brutal Assault (X) assaults, instead of the regular +1 attack, they gain +X attacks. X may be a D3 or D6.

Nothing flashy just unifies a rule that's quite common.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 08:24
Brutal Assault (X)
When a unit with Brutal Assault (X) assaults, instead of the regular +1 attack, they gain +X attacks. X may be a D3 or D6.

Nothing flashy just unifies a rule that's quite common.
I wouldn't specify that it has to be d3 or d6. That way the Space Wolves can use it for their +2 attacks on charge rule.

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2011, 08:58
Tactical insertion- The models entering the game on the 1st turn through deepstrike may choose to reroll failed scatter dice roles

How does one 'fail' a roll that has no success/failure condition? I would assume you mean 'may choose to re-roll if a hit is not scored, but must accept the second result'

I like the notion of adding 'Daemonic'. And Cannon Fodder sounds pretty good.

I think we need 'Super Killy': A weapon or unit with this special rule may inflict Instant Death on units with Eternal Warrior USR.

Also, Trigger Happy would be pretty awesome, but make it so they have to fire all their weapons, not just pick and choose, so Heavy Weapons and Rapid Fire weapons must be fired. After all, if they are trigger happy, why wouldn't they?

And Bayonet Charge should be called something else, but I agree there should be a rule like that. Only, it should be given to Space Marines and NO ONE else. And it should be called Bolter Drill. Why? Because, back in 2nd Ed. Space Marines had this nifty special rule that allowed them to stand still and fire their Boltguns twice. Now, EVERYONE has this rule because Bolters are 'Rapid Fire'. Space Marines train day in and day out with the Boltgun. Their Boltguns are also of a different manufacture than everyone else's. I think they need to drop Combat Tactics and give them back Bolter Drill.

Ultrasmurf
04-01-2011, 09:08
Lothlanathorian thanks about that
Tactical insertion-the units that enters the 1st turn of the game through deepstrike may choose to reroll if a hit is not scored but must accept the second result.

AlexHolker
04-01-2011, 09:10
I think we need 'Super Killy': A weapon or unit with this special rule may inflict Instant Death on units with Eternal Warrior USR.
Absolutely not. The last thing 40k needs is this kind of Special Rule arms race.

And Bayonet Charge should be called something else, but I agree there should be a rule like that. Only, it should be given to Space Marines and NO ONE else. And it should be called Bolter Drill. Why? Because, back in 2nd Ed. Space Marines had this nifty special rule that allowed them to stand still and fire their Boltguns twice.
So what you're saying is that the rule should be called something else and not given in the instances I suggested, because the Space Marines once had a completely different rule?

Not to mention Space Marines already get both bolters and bolt pistols for precisely this purpose?

USABOB
04-01-2011, 09:24
It's a vehicle not a bunker
Vehicles count defensive weapons as strength 6 and under.

One that I wouldn't mind :p.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
04-01-2011, 09:50
And I counter with:

It's a bunker not a vehicle
These vehicles treat no weapons as defensive. :p

jack da greenskin
04-01-2011, 10:33
Feel no pain - Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. Save a wound on 5+.

That should sort out a fair few meta-armies.

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2011, 10:37
Absolutely not. The last thing 40k needs is this kind of Special Rule arms race.

Take tongue. Plant in cheek. Reread.

So what you're saying is that the rule should be called something else and not given in the instances I suggested, because the Space Marines once had a completely different rule?

Not to mention Space Marines already get both bolters and bolt pistols for precisely this purpose?

Also, tongue was planted firmly in cheek for this.

No, Space Marines don't have them for this purpose. They have them so they can shoot ONE shot, not fire a rapid fire weapon. And yes, I do think Space Marines should have a special rule that allows them to fire their Bolters and then assault the same turn.

And, honestly, I like your idea, but I wouldn't call it 'Bayonet Charge'. I think 'Gung Ho' or something along those lines. Having a bayonet =/= fire rapid fire+assault in my head. Otherwise, though, I think a USR similar to Relentless, but not including Heavy Weapons would be a good idea.

And, for my own addition: Walking Fire Support: A unit with this USR may move and fire heavy weapons, but may not assault after doing so.

Korraz
04-01-2011, 10:45
Sniper - Trained individuals are able to pick their exact targets even in the fray of battle.
Models with this rule may pick a model as their specific target when shooting at a unit. All wounds dealt by the shooter are dealt to the chosen model, ignoring usual wound allocation rules.
All Sniper Rifle Weapons confer this special rule while used. (Yes, you have to actually shoot with it. Carrying one won't make you magically better at shooting rockets at people's faces.)

Lothlanathorian
04-01-2011, 10:59
Is the sniper rifle's special rule already called 'sniper'? Perhaps 'sharpshooter'?

Bunnahabhain
04-01-2011, 11:18
Expendable.
If all the friendly units in a combat have this USR, then you may shoot into the combat. When shooting, a blast or template may be placed over the unit.

There are plenty of units that the commanders of that races consider virtually worthless- grots, conscripts, gaunts,...... lets codify that, and make it a virtue.

AlexHolker
04-01-2011, 11:49
Expendable.
If all the friendly units in a combat have this USR, then you may shoot into the combat.

There are plenty of units that the commanders of that races consider virtually worthless- grots, conscripts, gaunts,...... lets codify that, and make it a virtue.
I'd agree to this rule with one important change: both units in the combat count as a single complex unit, and the defending player can allocate wounds to either unit as he wishes. Otherwise this rule is stupidly good, with no reason not to abuse the hell out of it at every opportunity.

Born Again
04-01-2011, 12:10
There's some really good ideas in this thread. Someone send it off to GW. I particularly like Daemonic, Bayonet Charge, and Expendable.

If I was to make any contribution, I would begin with this:

Stand & Shoot
When assaulted by an enemy, the unit may forgo all it's close combat attacks that turn to make a shooting attack instead. This is made as soon as the charge is declared and assaulting unit is found to be in range, before and models are moved. The shooting unit counts as stationary and all models that may normally shoot can do so. The shooting attack never forces a moral or pinning check for any reason. After the shooting is resolved, survivors make their assault moves and attack as normal. When determining the assault's winner, the unit that shot counts as having scored HALF the wounds inflicted by shooting.

Seems fairly chunky in that it's a lot of text but I think it could be a cool rule. Obviously, if would fit great on Tau Fire Warriors, and could also go to things like Guardsmen, and some other units, like Dire Avengers maybe? Basically showing them opening up and blazing away in a last ditch effort to stop a horde of Orks sweeping towards them. Their combat score being only half the casualties they inflict is to stop them becoming combat monsters that aren't afraid of getting charged.

shandy
04-01-2011, 12:25
Left the Iron On- if the unit has this special rule and has successfully rolled to come on from reserve the player may choose to have them come it at the start of their next turn instead (no additional role required)

hungry hungry hormagaunt
04-01-2011, 14:15
Agile Warrior: In melee, this unit hits vehicles that moved at Cruising Speed on a 4+ and vehicles that moved Flat Out on a 5+ (including with grenades).

neko
04-01-2011, 14:41
Stand and Fire:
When charged, this unit may forgo their first round of hand to hand attacks in order to fire at their attackers as they charge in. This firing is resolved after the attackers have been moved, and the firing unit counts as moving.

alternatively...

Stand and Fire:
When charged, this unit may forgo their first round of hand to hand attacks in order to fire at their attackers as they charge in. This firing is resolved after the attackers have been moved, and the firing unit may only shoot with weapons that they would normally be able to fire before charging.

Basically, same idea as Born Again's offering (I just couldn't be bothered writing out the fine print), but the firing unit should at least count as moving. They're trying to squeeze out a few last shots before they receive a charge after all.

Mojaco
04-01-2011, 14:43
Horde
The unit strikes with massive numbers, overwhelming the enemy not in quality but in quantity. Severe losses are expected and meaningless. Units with this USR do not count negative modifiers in close combat for casualties, or when fearless, do no take addition wounds for losing combat.

And an adjustment to Eternal Warrior (because I can)
Units with this special rule can survive the most hideous wounds. When hit by a weapon with a strength (more then) double their toughness, the model suffers one wound instead of instant death.

neko
04-01-2011, 14:50
Isn't Horde close to stubborn in nature anyway? I'd be tempted to try something along the lines of:

Horde:
This unit fights with quantity over quality, and severe losses are both expected and meaningless. When in an assault, enemy units count wounds caused against this unit as being half as many wounds for the purpose of combat resolution.

ehlijen
04-01-2011, 15:37
Cumbersome: Weapons with this rule always apply a -1 to any to hit roll made with them. (Meant for AT weapons like lascannon)

Large Target (x):
Any shot at a target with this USR gains x as a bonus on the to hit roll. (Most vehicles and MCs would have Large Target 1, a Monolith and superheavies might have Large Target 2 or even 3. Other units, such as broadsides or Nid warriors might also have this rule.)

Those rules are obviously meant to go together.

Xeones
04-01-2011, 16:15
Orderly Retreat: Units with this USR that lose a close combat automatically fail their morale test to stay in combat, but roll 2D6 and pick the highest value for their initiative test in the subsequent sweeping advance.

unheilig
04-01-2011, 16:36
Orderly Retreat: Units with this USR that lose a close combat automatically fail their morale test to stay in combat, but roll 2D6 and pick the highest value for their initiative test in the subsequent sweeping advance.

neat idea.

Dead7
04-01-2011, 17:06
imo stand and shoot shoot would do too much damage in the hands of things like guardians, and make horde assault units a bit useless. what would gaunts want to assault? maybe it should be one shot only and only assualt and rappid guns.

Navar
04-01-2011, 17:57
And an adjustment to Eternal Warrior (because I can) Units with this special rule can survive the most hideous wounds. When hit by a weapon with a strength (more then) double their toughness, the model suffers one wound instead of instant death.

Wait Eternal Warrior doesn't protect against double strength?

Korraz
04-01-2011, 18:09
I think he just removed the other cases, "Having ones Soul sucked into the Warp", for example.

PreacherBoyRoy
04-01-2011, 19:04
Just a standard flee mechanic for the skirmish type units

Run Away!: After an enemy declares a charge, and moves his models in base to base contact. A unit with the special rule "Run Away!" may opt to run away as if they had just lost combat.The initiative test is then taken as normal, if passed they move 6d in any direction. if failed they are cut down in a sweeping advance.

lanrak
04-01-2011, 19:16
Hi all.
Re-Write.
This forces the game developers to stop mucking about adding loads of abstract counter intuitive rules to patch up a inapropriate set of game mechanics!
And makes them write a NEW well defined, intuitive and elegant set of rules to unleash the full potential of the 40k universe... .:D

TTFN

Born Again
05-01-2011, 06:54
Bring back a golden oldie:

Dispersed Formation

Units with this rule may have a unit coherency of 4".

Bathawk
05-01-2011, 07:50
Overkill

If a weapon with this rule causes an unsaved wound against a model that is subject to the instant death rule, this weapon scores an additional automatic hit

If this weapon strength is triple that of the units toughness (Ie, a S:9 lascannon vs. a Toughness 3 Eldar Guardian squad) each unsaved wound scores 2 additional hits

additional hits cannot in turn generate more additional hits

this rule cannot apply to blast or template weapons

.................................................. ........................................

I like this rule as it makes Eternal Warrior more relevant, and makes low shot, high strength weapons like lascannons scarier to units, and not just monstrous creatures/vehicles

Baragash
05-01-2011, 10:19
Sniper - Trained individuals are able to pick their exact targets even in the fray of battle.
Models with this rule may pick a model as their specific target when shooting at a unit. All wounds dealt by the shooter are dealt to the chosen model, ignoring usual wound allocation rules.

I think you need to be more clear, are these wounds allocated before or after any other wounds inflicted at the same time, otherwise you just have Telion confusion again?

Crube
05-01-2011, 10:24
One from me, not so much a USR, but I'd bring back the Movement stat, to get rid of a few USR....

Korraz
05-01-2011, 10:45
I think you need to be more clear, are these wounds allocated before or after any other wounds inflicted at the same time, otherwise you just have Telion confusion again?

I never had a problem with Telion, but okay. Before. But for the usual allocation, it counts as having 0 wounds allocated.
Example:
A unit of 5 Marines shoot at a unit of 3 Crisis (1 of them is differently equiped).
One of the Marines is a "Sniper", he nominates and wounds the differently equiped Crisis. The other 4 Marines wound 3 times. These three wounds have to be allocated as usual, taking the "Sniper" wound not into account. Which means that the different crisis gets 2 wounds.

Spectral Dragon
05-01-2011, 11:41
Sharpshooter: When wounds are allocated, the player who controls the model who shot allocates the wounds taken from the model with this rule, and may allocate them in any way he wishes. For example, he can put all wounds on a commander, or a wound on someone with a special weapon and another 3 on a IC.

Stand and shoot: A model with this rule and a shooting weapon classified as an "assault" weapon may make a stand and shoot reaction against models charging at them. You may only do this against the first squad that charges you in combat each turn, and may not us this USR if you were already in CC at the beginning of the turn. When a squad stands and shoots, make a leadership test in the squad, if passed the squad may fire their weapons at the squad rushing them instead of making a CC attack next round. If the squad making the charge is charging through cover then they may make a 6+ invulnerable save, or their armor save, whichever is better.

Defender: A model with this rule knows the weakness of it's own armor and how to use cover to better augment his defenses. Before armor saves are taken, the model gets a 6+ "cover" save from each wound allocated. After these saves are taken, armor saves may be taken as normal.

Focus Fire: (scatter) A model with this rule knows the advantages of focusing on a target to better hit what he intends to with a blast weapon. Any model with this rule firing a weapon that uses a template that scatters may forfeit it's shooting attack for one turn. You must announce that a model or squad is using focus fire before the end of your player shooting phase that you are having them forfeit their shot, as well as what is being shot at. On your next shooting phase when you fire the template weapon you roll only 1 D6 for scatter and a scatter dice, both of which can be re-rolled. He may not shoot at another target on the turn after he declared focus fire, even if the squad was slaughtered the previous turn, and he may not move from his position unless the target was destroyed. A unit that is using focus fire is counted as fearless in Close Combat. Focus Fire remains in effect until the end of the subsequent player shooting phase after it was declared. Note that squads that can split their fire may still focus fire if they do so.

Focus Fire: (Heavy Weapons) A model with a weapon classified as "heavy" in it's profile and with this special rule may forfeit half it's shots this player turn to "focus" on an intended target. In this and the next player turn, the model gains +1 to hit. Note that half the shots are taken out ONLY on the first turn the model is focusing, and that the model MUST fire at the same target in the next turn as well unless the target is destroyed. He may not shoot at another target on the turn after he declared focus fire, even if the squad was slaughtered the previous turn, and he may not move from his position unless the target was destroyed. A unit that is using focus fire is counted as fearless in Close Combat. Focus Fire remains in effect until the end of the subsequent player shooting phase after it was declared. Note that squads that can split their fire may still focus fire if they do so.

Resolve: A model with this rule may automatically pass a leadership test once per game.

Lucky: A model with this rule may pass one characteristic test per game (including leadership!) Only one characteristic test can be automatically passed, no matter how many different characteristic tests your opponent makes you take!

Some of these are modified from what others have said. Of late, I have been working on my own expansion for 40K so lots of ideas rolling around besides these ;)

Str10_hurts
05-01-2011, 19:08
How about reinstating true grid.

And a rule that gives rapidfiring weapons an extra attack in combat --> kroot and the likes

The Swooping hawk hawire grenade rule but with a change, rolling to hit on vehicles never gets worse than a 4+.

A rule that makes removes a unit from the game if they fail Ld tests --> grots

And the same streamlining to random rolling units that loota's have.

Lord Inquisitor
05-01-2011, 19:40
Hi all.
Re-Write.
This forces the game developers to stop mucking about adding loads of abstract counter intuitive rules to patch up a inapropriate set of game mechanics!
And makes them write a NEW well defined, intuitive and elegant set of rules to unleash the full potential of the 40k universe... .:D

TTFN

Yeah dream on!

I'd certainly prefer more use of USRs to the proliferation of unique special rules, and use of basic mechanics to use of USRs, but meh. :(

Anyway, on topic, an obvious USR that really IS needed is some form of repair vehicles rule. All Space Marines, Orks, Imperial Guard all have techs that can do this and there have always been possibilities of other races having "techs" (such as bonesingers, etc). The two elements required are a repair rule and some kind of bonus for servitors, servor arms and the like.

Repair vehicle: If a model with this ability is in base contact (or inside) a vehicle at the start of the shooting phase, it may attempt to repair instead of shooting or running. Roll a D6, on a roll of 6, one weapon destroyed or immobilised result is removed.

Menial (+X): The presence of a model with the Menial USR adds a value to any Repair rolls in the same unit, normally +1. Multiple Menial bonuses are cumulative, to a maximum of +4.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
05-01-2011, 23:47
I'd just change the name Menial to Mechanic.

Jerrus
05-01-2011, 23:57
I agree with Lord Inquisitor, and while thier at it they should make the "Killing Blow" rule that Korsarro Khan and Captain Al Rehem (pehaps others aswell) have into a USR.

Chem-Dog
06-01-2011, 00:16
Trigger Happy: A variant of Rage. A unit with this USR can always premeasure for shooting, but if in range they will always shoot the nearest enemy unit. If a target is in range, they will be unable to run as the urge to pull the trigger is just too great! They can still move and assault as normal, and, if they have multiple ranged weapons with range capability to shoot, they can choose which to fire.

Nice. Kinda like the Ork Tank Bustas (or whatever they're called).

Cannon Fodder
Units with this rule do not count toward any victory conditions. They may not claim objectives (although they may contest), and they do not give the enemy Kill Points when destroyed.

Cool. Already happens in a few cases so deffinitely easy enough to implement.

Expendable.
If all the friendly units in a combat have this USR, then you may shoot into the combat. When shooting, a blast or template may be placed over the unit.

Potentially broken but I agree there should be a way of firing into combats against expendable units. The chance of awarding a KP to the enemy by blasting your own guys should be enough of a ballancing factor.

Stand & Shoot
When assaulted by an enemy, the unit may forgo all it's close combat attacks that turn to make a shooting attack instead. This is made as soon as the charge is declared and assaulting unit is found to be in range, before and models are moved. The shooting unit counts as stationary and all models that may normally shoot can do so. The shooting attack never forces a moral or pinning check for any reason. After the shooting is resolved, survivors make their assault moves and attack as normal. When determining the assault's winner, the unit that shot counts as having scored HALF the wounds inflicted by shooting.

I'd be tempted to make this a shooting alternative to counter attack. Unit has to pass a Ld test to keep blasting away. I'd also make it an all or nothing result with the shooters counting as scoring ZERO kills in the combat, it's a last ditch attempt and it should be a foregone conclusion as to the result if it fails.

Horde:
This unit fights with quantity over quality, and severe losses are both expected and meaningless. When in an assault, enemy units count wounds caused against this unit as being half as many wounds for the purpose of combat resolution.

I would finish that paragraph with..."and the subsequent Ld test."

Cumbersome: Weapons with this rule always apply a -1 to any to hit roll made with them. (Meant for AT weapons like lascannon)

Nooooooooooooooeeeeeeeessssssssss :cries: I have trouble enough hitting things with my lascannons ANYWAY.

Large Target (x):
Any shot at a target with this USR gains x as a bonus on the to hit roll. (Most vehicles and MCs would have Large Target 1, a Monolith and superheavies might have Large Target 2 or even 3. Other units, such as broadsides or Nid warriors might also have this rule.)[/QUOTE]

+/- hit mods....those were the days....Nu40K equivalent would drop their cover save by the appropriate value I suppose, which is pretty logical, a Carnifex is not going to have all that much luck avoiding fire by squatting in a crater, after all.

Overkill

If a weapon with this rule causes an unsaved wound against a model that is subject to the instant death rule, this weapon scores an additional automatic hit

If this weapon strength is triple that of the units toughness (Ie, a S:9 lascannon vs. a Toughness 3 Eldar Guardian squad) each unsaved wound scores 2 additional hits

additional hits cannot in turn generate more additional hits

this rule cannot apply to blast or template weapons.

Not really a USR as it's applying to all applicable weapons (at least how I read it). My slight problem with this is the way it'll make AT weapons far more useful, it's always been the case that a Lascannon (for example) was a poor choice against infantry because it would only ever kill one guy per turn, that guy would be REALLY dead but just that one guy, if you have a Lascannon able to wax three targets at T3 and two at T4 every marine army will be bringing Lascannon Devs as they will be far more useful as anti infantry guns (one hit = 3/2 XS9-Ap2 shots).

Feel no pain - Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. Save a wound on 5+.

And an adjustment to Eternal Warrior (because I can)

You two gentlemen score a zero for following the rules :p

3: No fiddling with existing USR's.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
06-01-2011, 00:45
For Expendable: I'd say that any 1's to hit will hit your own guys instead. Possibly require a Ld test if they suffer any wounds instead of 25% casualties.

Chem-Dog
06-01-2011, 02:38
A couple more...

Spite: Wether it's a last gasp shot with a pistol, a grenade primed by a dying trooper, a booby trap with a dead man switch or even some bizarre alien death spasm this unit truly dies hard.
Models removed from play during a round of combat inflict a single automatic hit immediately after any inititative 1 attacks have been resloved. This hit is resolved at the base strength of the model, normal wound allocation rules apply and armour saves are allowed.
Any unsaved wounds inflicted by these attacks count towards combat resolution.
A unit can't use spite in any turn in which it has charged.
Spite applies even if a unit is wiped out.

Giant Slayer: These warriors have a natural aptitude for engaging creatures many times larger than themselves, surviving against the odds and surprising any who witness the feat.
When fighting in a combat with a monsterous creature a roll of 6 to wound will always wound, additionally no wounds inflicted by the Monsterous Creature on a unit with this rule count towards combat resolution.

Void Reaper
06-01-2011, 03:07
Wow guys, great thread!

Here's my contribution:

Combat Engineers:
This unit carries heavy demolition charges, bangalore torpedoes, or bizarre and fantastic alien equivalents, which they can quickly deploy against enemy troops and fortifications. Once per game, it may make a single Assault S7 AP 5 Large Blast attack against any target within 6" of at least one model in the unit. The attack does not deviate (no scatter die), ignores cover, and always attacks a vehicle's rear armor.

Bathawk
06-01-2011, 03:26
{Quote}
Not really a USR as it's applying to all applicable weapons (at least how I read it). My slight problem with this is the way it'll make AT weapons far more useful, it's always been the case that a Lascannon (for example) was a poor choice against infantry because it would only ever kill one guy per turn, that guy would be REALLY dead but just that one guy, if you have a Lascannon able to wax three targets at T3 and two at T4 every marine army will be bringing Lascannon Devs as they will be far more useful as anti infantry guns (one hit = 3/2 XS9-Ap2 shots).

[/QUOTE]

exactly ;) and while it is worded as a weapon description, it works as a USR... a monstrous creature with few attacks could score multiple kills in close combat (CHOMP)

konate
06-01-2011, 04:31
Immune to Poison: Does what it says. Puts the fear back into wraithguard.

Immune to SW Cheese: Does what it says. Puts the fun back into 40k.

Meriwether
06-01-2011, 05:10
A few off the top of my head:

Null. Units that are Null are immune to psychic powers.

Horrifying. Fearless units that lose combat to Horrifying units do not count as Fearless until the end of the turn. (So they can be destroyed by sweeping advance... This would apply to ATSKNF as well... Although TBH, I'd rather just see them get rid of Fearless altogether.)

Terrifying. Units that lose combat to Terrifying units reroll any successful leadership checks.

Inspiring. Units within 12" can use their Ld.

Monster Killer. After all saves, FNP, etc, are taken, all wounds dealt by a model with Monster Killer count as two wounds.

Split fire. Because if anyone can do it, everyone should be able to do it.

autarch dsaliuvid
06-01-2011, 05:16
two handed strike: unit may strike at +2S but does not gain the benefit of any bonus attacks for charging or second c.c.weapon.

AlexHolker
06-01-2011, 05:33
Horrifying. Fearless units that lose combat to Horrifying units do not count as Fearless until the end of the turn. (So they can be destroyed by sweeping advance... This would apply to ATSKNF as well... Although TBH, I'd rather just see them get rid of Fearless altogether.)
The problem with Fearless has never been that the rule exists, it's that the rule was overused. Creating a new USR that negates Fearless (even when it shouldn't) is just compounding the problem. A better way would be to boost the maximum Ld to 12 and start using that in some cases that currently use Fearless.

Lothlanathorian
06-01-2011, 08:48
The problem with Fearless has never been that the rule exists, it's that the rule was overused. Creating a new USR that negates Fearless (even when it shouldn't) is just compounding the problem. A better way would be to boost the maximum Ld to 12 and start using that in some cases that currently use Fearless.

No, the problem with Fearless is that it exists and is punishment for any unit unlucky enough to have it. And, instead of boosting Ld higher than 10, using Stubborn instead of Fearless would be a better fix.

Hellebore
06-01-2011, 11:39
Psychology
All units in the game get this.

If they possess the Stubborn rule, psychology turns it into the following:
Any roll of a double counts as insane bravery so long as it was equal to or less than the unit's Ld value. eg Ld 8 -4 for combat, rolls double 4. Passes test.

If they possess the Fearless rule it becomes the Grizzled rule, psychology turns it into the following:
Ignores any Ld modifiers for making Ld tests.

Immune to Psychology:A rule that only tyranids under the hive mind, necron warriors and maybe some daemons (khornate frenzy). They ignore morale tests and don't suffer no retreat.

[ok so I basically just used this as an excuse to rerwite some already existing USRs...]

Fear: Units with the Fear rule can scare the enemy into inaction. Whenever a unit attacks an enemy that causes Fear, whether in melee or range they must take a morale test. If the fail they must reroll any successful to hit rolls (ranged and melee).

Units that cause Fear:

Any model with the Monstrous Creature Unit Type
Any model with the Daemon special rule
Any Walker Vehicle
Any Superheavy vehicle
Specific units with Special rules

If a model possesses two or more of these rules then they cause terror. A terror causing unit counts all the wounds it caused as double for determining who won the combat (but not for Ld modifiers).

Two fear causing units fighting each other have no effect. A Terror causing unit causes Fear in a Fear causing unit.

As an aside, if a unit that loses combat and doesn't run suffers no retreat wounds in general, then the fearless rule wouldn't seem so dumb.

After all, if you're outnumbered, take casualties and fail to flee, then you're in exactly the same position as a unit that's out numbered, takes casualties and can't flee.

Hellebore

magath
06-01-2011, 13:06
My addition would be:

Slap: If your opponent acts like a tool, you can slap them. This also gives you a victory point, therefore multiple slappings are most effective.

ehlijen
06-01-2011, 15:16
No, the problem with Fearless is that it exists and is punishment for any unit unlucky enough to have it. And, instead of boosting Ld higher than 10, using Stubborn instead of Fearless would be a better fix.

Fearless is not a drawback. You ignore morale tests from shooting and pinning weapons. Those are good things to have. In combat, if you win, there's no difference. If you lose, instead of a chance to lose the unit, you have a chance to lose a few models. Those are still advantages.

It's harder to get the best outcome (you stand and fight with no further casualties) but it's also a lot harder to get the worst outcome (the unit dies). Fearless is a good thing for a unit to have, even though it does not make you entirely immune to the morale rules.

Ultrasmurf
06-01-2011, 15:47
Fearful-Units that are fearful suffer -2 to their leadership if they are within 6" of a Monstrous creature or vehicle that isn't a skimmer And will always flee if they lose a close combat against the Monstrous creature.

Sureshot05
06-01-2011, 16:41
Scoring - This unit counts as a scoring unit for objectives and the like, but in Kill point games counts for 2 KP for units with ten or less models and 3 KP for units with 11 or more models.

Non-scoring - This TROOP unit does not count as scoring.

Non-contesting - This unit cannot contest objectives and does not count towards kill points.

These three are just meant to be tags that can be applied to certain units in order to give them a bit more character. For example most swarms would gain non-contesting and penal guardsmen would gain Non-scoring. Conversely, I believe most armies have an elite unit that would deserve the Scoring rule. Terminators, Storm troopers, immortals, Incubi, Lootaz I can all see fitting such a rule. However, it would need to be implemented very carefully and not spammed across all new units.

Sai-Lauren
06-01-2011, 17:26
Assault Armour:
Any failed armour saving throw from an attack from the models front arc may be rerolled.
Any succesful armour saving throw from an attack from the models rear arc MUST be rerolled.

I got the idea thinking about Mk3 power armour, designed for tunnel fighting with heavy plates at the front and weaker plates at the rear to keep the weight roughly the same.

One from me, not so much a USR, but I'd bring back the Movement stat, to get rid of a few USR....
And weapons doing multiple wounds to get rid of instant death, so we can also lose the strike last rule too and Power Gloves can stop being an anvil on the end of terminators arms. ;)

And not a new USR, but I'd upgrade lance to have a similar effect against infantry as well as vehicles.

Krovin-Rezh
06-01-2011, 20:40
Exceptionally Fleet:
The model has the Fleet special rule and rolls 3D6 when running.

Nimble:
The model is able to consolidate 2D6" after resolving a close combat in which it was on the winning side.