PDA

View Full Version : GW sneaky price rise!!

koran
04-01-2011, 08:16
As many across Britain know there has been a VAT (value added tax) rise on goods from 17.5 to 20%.

I have just been on the GW website and I noticed that they have actually used this to manage a cheeky price rise!!

The easiest way to explain this is to take something that was 20 (say a drop pod). So say we are buying 5 of these, that makes 100. Now what GW has done seems pretty sneaky as you might look at this and say "Oh a rise of 2.5%, that makes it 102.50. And that's what GW has done.

But if you actually split it that 100 was actually after the 17.5% VAT. So the value of the product is around 85.10 before VAT.

85.1 x 1.175 = 99.99

Subject that to the new VAT:

85.1 x 1.2 = 102.12

But somehow the new drop pod price is now 20.50, making 102.50, so a nice sly price rise of nearly 40p on every pre VAT rise 100 spent.

Now you might say that they were only rounding up but when the VAT went down they didn't round prices down to our benefit, so why should they be allowed to go the other way and make themselves some money?

Now some things arnt as bad, a tactical squad has also gone up by 50p to 23 making it a little better than VAT, but likewise products that were 17.50 have gone up 50p to, well above the VAT rise.

Well done GW, you have once again shown your willingness to try and screw with your customers.

(I realise there is a price thread already but thought this was a separate matter that warranted its own thread)

Darnok
04-01-2011, 08:33
We have a GW pricing feedback thread, which is here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209297). Please take your comments there.

Thread closed.

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquisition