PDA

View Full Version : Your first time.

TheYoungin
04-01-2011, 08:56
Hey, I've been gaming for around 5 years now, and thinking back I can still remember walking into games workshop with my dad when i was around 8 years old and looking around at all the cool models. 4 years later when I was twelve I bought the 6th ed starter set and started playing orcs.

So my question is to you, what's your very first experience with warhammer.?

dragonet111
04-01-2011, 09:10
I began with the RPG.

My friends were already playing Fantasy Battle and they bought Mordheim, I bought a band of Marienburger but soon change my mind for Sisters of Sigmar. I instantly loved the game and choose to start Fantasy Battle. I choose Bretonnian but the army was way to expensive for me so I started my second choice army, Realm of Chaos. Never regretted that choice.

djpringle
04-01-2011, 09:12
I actually struggle to remember how I got into all this :( I do remember getting the old Citadel box sets in the early 80's and using the minis for D&D and such like. How Warhammer 2nd edition turned up I don't know? Might have been a present but it certainly opened the flood gates for figure buying, painting and gaming in general afterwards. My first army was orcs as well but cannot remember why I went down that route, think they were in a Citadel sale or something.
I actually tend to remember the board games from the 80's better than Warhammer :)

Evil Hypnotist
04-01-2011, 09:32
Dusting off a box of 40k 2nd ed. from my mate's shelf and asking "What the hell is this?" :P A read of the books and purchasing Ezikiel of the Dark Angels not long after got me hooked.

dragonet111
04-01-2011, 09:39
I have to add that my favorite game is 40k. I started 40k maybe one year after starting Fantasy Battle.

tezdal
04-01-2011, 09:46
Well, I was a wee lad, and my brother got interested and bought the boxed set to start a Lizardmen force, and since the other folks in the 5th edition box were Brets that was the force I got....yet still play em.

Isfimbur
04-01-2011, 09:52
My first contact with miniature games of this kind bust have been HeroQuest. I remember painting and playing HeroQuest with my older brother and his friends. Much later when I was wisiting my stepbrother I found the 3rd edition Space Marine codex in his room. And thats when I became a Black Templar player. I guess I was a templar player even before the armageddon codex came out. I guess thats something thats not to common.
Later on thou, I tried fantasy after alot of nagging from my friends. That was... 10 years ago? I still play. But I always concidered 40k to be the kewler game.

Mystic_Weasel
04-01-2011, 10:01
I was round a friends house, and his younger brother offered a game of warhammer fantasy as i was into the roleplay game, heroquest, and space crusade. Played a game with the high elves, and goblins from the game plus metal models replacing the card board cut outs.
I remember very little about the actual game now, i am sure i was battered pretty badly though (go high elves!)

Just after I got into the shadow of the horned rat game when it was first released, and at the same time my friend had parts of a skaven army to sell because he wanted Dark elves.
Which was fortunate because i had fallen in love with the rat-things randomness.
Got about 20 of jes's first storm vermin, the screaming bell and 8 (!!) of colin greysons?? plaguemonks added a few boxes of the clanrats (single pose all diagonally facing = crab formation), and really havent looked back since.

Alltaken
04-01-2011, 10:18
I've know about fantasy and 40k in general since '02 approximately. I was in school and buying toys via internet was a little expensive, so we played mordheim like crazy with the minis we had. Around '08 I finally had my credit card, a good enough salary and a PO box and thus came the lizardmen. Now I'm trying to get them painted, and then my WE who will know such sweet slumber till the next update.

Colonel_kex
04-01-2011, 10:48
Started out with RPG's and fantasy books.. a guy at school noticed me reading some old Shannara books and introduced me to warhammer. I've never looked back

Finn Sourscowl
04-01-2011, 11:02
Heroquest in 1990. Followed by all things 40k (RT/2nd Ed. and Space Marine) while swearing blind I'd never play Fantasy - then a couple of friends and I started playing around with Dwarfs (in 4th ed.) and that was that. 17 years later, my Dwarfs are still going strong :)

madden
04-01-2011, 11:45
Heroquest then a local toy shop having a sale so got the regiment of 30 empire halberders space marine(the one with the scouts) and the one with nid warriors with the drumstick death spitters, then epic called space marine, then walking home up portabello Market saw a large box of dwarfs got tgem and still use them, ahh what a day I don't remember prices but they were cheap. My first mini soilders was airfix ww2 figures.

shelfunit.
04-01-2011, 11:56
Same as most here - Heroquest --> Free painting guide --> WD --> Advanced heroquest --> WHFRP --> WHFB.

Vashta
04-01-2011, 12:05
The local GW came to my school to showcase Necromunda shortly after it was released and i've been hooked ever since!

Lorcryst
04-01-2011, 12:19
Oh my, that takes me a long time ago ...

I was hooked on RPGs by the age of 12, and used some Ral Partha and Citadel models to represent my characters during the campaigns ... two years later, I discovered in my local RPG shop that they had a system of rules to play games with the miniatures I had ... very small affairs with maybe 10 models per side, it was closer to Mordheim than anything else ... those were the days of 2nd Ed 40K (just released) and 4th ed FB ... I've been collecting since, and I'm now almost 37 ...

Galatan
04-01-2011, 12:39
Knew about GW since 1995. Played Gorkamorka back in 1997/1998. Switched over to 40k 2nd ed just before 3rd ed came out (1998). Played first fantasy battles somewhere in 1999 and collected some lizardmen, empire and skaven.

Those were the days :) . Even though all the mini's and stuff are way better now :P .

mrtn
04-01-2011, 12:46
I was into RPGs and painted (and cast) Prince August miniatures. I bought a blister of Citadel chaos dwarf crossbowmen, and a dwarf warmachine. Then it took me 20 odd years before I started playing Mordheim, and later WFB.

Crube
04-01-2011, 13:09
I first went into a GW store when I was very young, and the Nottingham store first opened in theBroadmarsh shopping centre (yes, that's a long time ago). I got given the specil Robin Hood Dwarf mini to celebrate the opening!

I didnt actually start playing though til about 5/6 years later, when a new guy at school brought in a couple of models he'd painted - I remember his Orc Boarboy - it was amazing, and I was enthralled. I found out he lived just at the bottom of the road form me, and a group of mates all decided to try this WFRP thing... Every sunday for 6 years followed, and it gradually turned into WFB, 40k, BB, Epic, Dungeonquest, Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest.... and so on and so on...

dominic_star
04-01-2011, 13:25
A guy at school had White Dwarf. I then asked my dad for a copy of Risk, thinking it would be similar. He said don't be daft and took me straight to a toy shop that had Warhammer 4th edition and bought me that. 23.99, bargain. Bit of a fluke as he knew nothing about war-games either.

Nuada
04-01-2011, 13:26
Started with FF books. Those books were huge at our school, nearly everyone read them. Then i heard of a lot of kids were cycling up to eastwood and getting free things they were throwing away. They were coming back with amazing tales of ..."i got a bag of 50 dice and some free figures" (it seemed good at the time) So i joined in and discovered GW through free samples.

Then i went into GW and purchased games like talisman, dungeonquest, Judge Dredd RP, block mania, rogue trooper, etc ....the list goes on

I was more into RP games and used to buy Merp modules from GW as well. Didn't buy any figures until years and years later in late 80's when a friend started buying them.

amysrevenge
04-01-2011, 16:29
For me, back in 1998-ish, I decided to start painting miniatures with a RPG focus. I quickly found that buying plastic WFB starter-set models was a lot cheaper than buying individual metal RPG models, so I picked up a couple of sets of Lizardmen (from the Brets vs. Lizardmen starter box), intending to learn how to paint on those before buying too many metal models. It wasn't long before I was buying Stegadons and Temple Guard and Slann...

Odin
04-01-2011, 16:54
Started with Heroquest, just like pretty much everyone else in the same generation.

My first Warhammer battles were pretty silly. It was early in 4th edition, and we misunderstood the deployment rules. So we had a playing area 8'x4', and set up our armies 12" on from the short table edges. My chaos army (consisting almost entirely of infantry) had to walk 6' across the board to get to my Empire opponent's cannons. Took several games to work out what we were doing wrong. It's amazing that I kept playing really!

My army was pretty haphazard, and probably not legal even then. It was something like this:

Khorne Lord

2 Heroes of Khorne

Slaanesh Hero

Great Unclean One

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch

9 Warriors

8 Daemonettes

8 Plaguebearers

12 Beastmen

3 Chaos Knights

10 Chaos Thugs with bows

Urgat
04-01-2011, 18:00
Got to know Warhammer thanks to Shadow of the Horned Rat, an old windows 95 game. Best warhammer game ever, too, it captured the spirit and the mood of Warhammer brilliantly. fantastic musics and cutscenes back then, too, a great plot and probably the first 3D rts too :) Also I heard about the game in a PC game magazine which added a couple pages about the tabletop game to the review of the PC game itself. So I found the videogame awesome, the pictures of the minis were cool, of course I would try and get infos on it :)

Malorian
04-01-2011, 18:02
Well I didn't know it at the time, by me and my brothers loved hero quest.

It wasn't until I had been gaming regular GW stuff that I learned they had anything to do with it.

As for regular warhammer, since it's in the mall I would pass it all the time and look in on the cool models. My gf/wife wouldn't let me in however as she was worried I would get hooked (oh how right she was). Eventually I had to learn as her cousin wanted someone to play against.

As for my first game, it was basically me reading the rules for a couple of days, doing some mock battles against myself, and then walking my cousin through it. I remember me having to call his fire warriors 'snipers' so that he would stop rushing them forward and into combat all the time...

RMacDeezy
04-01-2011, 18:35
Got to know Warhammer thanks to Shadow of the Horned Rat, an old windows 95 game. Best warhammer game ever, too, it captured the spirit and the mood of Warhammer brilliantly. fantastic musics and cutscenes back then, too, a great plot and probably the first 3D rts too :) Also I heard about the game in a PC game magazine which added a couple pages about the tabletop game to the review of the PC game itself. So I found the videogame awesome, the pictures of the minis were cool, of course I would try and get infos on it :)

shadow of the horned rat FTW! my older brother worked at a videogame store, so the owner would let me borrow whatever game i wanted provided i brought it back in the condition i found it. so while i was looking for something to fritter away my weekend i came across it and if you've ever seen the cover, you'll know that at 11 years old there is NO WAY i'm leaving the store without that thing. i grab it, get hooked, get all my friends hooked, and then my best friend tells me about a store that sells models from "that one game." we checked it out and 12 years later we're both 3 armies deep and going strong!

Urgat
04-01-2011, 18:42
Ah yeah, the cover :) You see that orc about to swing his axe at bernhart? You see the axe, the big blade that's like a bit of a quarter of circle? I had to give it to one of my black orcs (the first orcs I ever bought, the clone plastic blorcs, I converted each one of them excepted one), so this axe is the source of my very first conversion :) It's still there if you check my plog, hah, those were the days ^^

the_slosh
04-01-2011, 19:18
picked up the 5th edition starter after thinking the cover was so awesome (was 12 years old), saw Dwarfs in the Battlebook and never looked back :)

someone2040
05-01-2011, 04:18
Back about 12 years ago, in the last week of year 6 in Primary School, two guys from Year 7 were bought in their Warhammer 40k stuff and were playing a game. It got me interested, and the next year I picked up some Lizardmen, and some of my friends picked up various things.
Had a friend who had High Elves, another with Orcs and Goblins. My younger brother got Dwarves. We didn't really game much, just painted them really as we didn't really understand the rules (Didn't have the main rulebook, just some other book which I've still got at home somewhere that gives more of a brief look at things). I remember we ignored armour because we couldn't work out how it was meant to go!

But yeah, that was my introduction really. In High School, Fantasy kind've waned a bit as my High School friends were into 40k. Until actually an old friend from Primary school came to my school, and got everyone hooked on Fantasy instead. Then we moved into Mordheim as well.

Koll
05-01-2011, 04:49
With the hobby as a whole it was back when I was 12 and I got given the space hulk board game as a gift. 14 years later and those space hulk Terminators are still in my Blood Angels army :D

With Warhammer (fantasy) it was back when Mordheim was first released I bought the Mordheim boxed set and my interest in the Warhammer fantasy world grew from there.

enyoss
05-01-2011, 06:41
My first GW experience was in the Meadowhall store around 1990. I walked in with my dad and the staff member (there was only one, it was a tiny store) immediately came over with an enthusiastic `Hey! How about these Dwarfs?... they've all got big axes!', and I turned right around and walked out. In hindsight I think he was no doubt being friendly instead of hard-sell pushy, but even as a 9 year old I had a deep suspicion of salesmen.

On a brighter note, my next experience was in the Hull store around 1994 and that was a really enjoyable day, and although I only managed to go about 3 or 4 times a year I always looked forward to it (Martin and Mark are the only names I remember, but the whole crew were really great).

Jacktheripper34
05-01-2011, 09:34
Funny that I saw this tonight (its 4am here in new york), anyway me and my friend finished a 40k game a few hours ago and after our usual post battle discussion about what we feel we did right, what we did wrong, and what we could do better we delved into exactly this conversation. how it all began.

My tumultuous relationship with GW (WFB and 40K) began when I was 11. There was a GW store in the mall by my home and i remember the deal was if i behaved then my dad would let me go look in the figure cases before we left, but never actually go in the store (man was certain I would break something). Finally one day he said we could go in and see what all of this was really about, we walked in and were greeted by the ever friendly staff, he gave his pitch and then offered to let me see the contents of the starter box for WFB. He opened that big red box and all i saw were a bunch of unassembled unpainted models. My dad politely told the man no thank you, and that maybe i would be back in a few years. I was crushed, and determined to prove to him that i was not too young.

That summer I had the nanny take me to the shop, spent my life's savings (roughly 100 dollars) on an 80 dollar box set of 40k (which had stolen my heart at the time, although now I am a more avid fantasy player) and some paints. The next day I walked into the kitchen during breakfast, slapped one of those fully assembled (shoulder pads on the wrong way :rolleyes:) fully painted ultramarines (smurfs) down on the table in front of my dad and said "see, i can do it." and he has supported me in the hobby ever since. when i went to college he took one of my guys (a vampire I used for Mordheim) which now sits on his desk and for Christmas this year asked me to paint him up the winged vampire lord, which i did, and better. Gave my old man a paint brush, a box of skeletons, some primer, rule book, army book, and some paints. Figured after ten years it was time about time we shared the hobby.

kyussinchains
05-01-2011, 10:37
my first experience of GW was back when GW leicester first opened, there was a store down the street who sold GW stuff before there was a store, and as they couldn't compete, they sold all their GW stuff off at 50% off, my mate got chucked out of GW for telling people not to buy things there as they were cheaper down the road..... :)

Dejay
05-01-2011, 11:04
Walked into a GW in 1998 I saw the Brets and Lizardmen from the starter set all laid out on the table. One of the guys there gave me an intro game. I think I waited until my next birthday and got my own starter set. (3rd Ed 40k :D)

ExquisiteMonkey
06-01-2011, 04:13
Back when I was ten, a mate brought a painted Marine to school and got me hooked. A high school filled with a flagging interest level later, I started doing open shifts at maccas, and through a random offhand comment to the manager (or from, can't remember), we worked out that we both enjoyed wargaming. A few week's later I dropped into his house and saw a room dedicated to Warhammer Fantasy.
Not having looked over the fence into that particular yard at this stage, I started to read some of his army books and was hooked on Dark Elves.

Then, when I got my first full time job around the corner from a GW, became friends with the manager and ended up buying things as they took my fancy, which almost killed my enthusiasm for the hobby as I am very slow to paint, and things would sit around for ages. then 7e Dark Elf book launched and i really wanted a proper army, so i talked to the manager and was able to return a bucket load of mini's, still in shrinkwrap and from the current range, to swap over for Dark Elf models (despite not having receipts, or even being purchases several years old).

I'm still slowly chugging through these models.....and am nowhere near completion.

autarch dsaliuvid
06-01-2011, 04:32
Back in the ancient past(1996) I saw some guys playing a game of fantasy(4th ed)in the shop were i played dnd and wasted money on M:tg cards. I thought it was really interesting so a week latter i bought the rules and thus my one and only fantasy army(high elves) was started. For the next 4 years i spent every afternoon crushing my friend who would use chaos (sometimes with O&G or undead allies).Then i found 40k and my bank acount started crying blood.

morkchop
06-01-2011, 09:29
One Christmas my uncle got me a Golden Demon (or was it daemon?) book full of all these beautifully painted models. My eyes literally popped out of my head. I wish I still had it but it must have disappeared somewhere in the hurly-burly of life.

Kees
06-01-2011, 10:00
around 2000 one of my friends got introduced to the hobby by his mothers boyfriend. As i spend a lot of time at his place I got interested as well. I remember he had some space orks and I think that's how i got into the green madmen, but for some reason I can't remember I decided to start fantasy.
So when my birthday came around I got a couple of presents, and my mom gave me: a diskman... I was happy with it, but the treu present came from grandma; a box of 10 lizardmen. Although it wasn't the race I wanted I did not stop playing with the little guys until I had to go to bed. When eventually the hollidays came around ("SInterklaas" for the dutch guys among us) I got the glorious WHFB starter set and my very own WAAAAGH was born, and still growing since.

A couple of years ago my mom told me that if she knew back then what warhammer would come to mean to me she would have gotten me that box om my birthday.

good times, good times...

Idle Scholar
06-01-2011, 10:30
My dad used to play WRG 10 mm games when I was really little, and I remember being bought a space marine from a market stall that sold 2nd hand miniatures at about age 6. My first proper introduction was being bought 2nd ed 40k for my 10th birthday :)

Lord of Divine Slaughter
06-01-2011, 11:43
Started playing D&D in '87, and my group got hooked on painting minis to use for the game. Then one day one of them showed the rest of us a big book with all of these awesome space marines shooting guns all over the place, and then showed us some of his new fangled 40K models, and we were immediately hooked.

When high school came the gang drifted apart, I tried picking up WFB with some new mates, but suddenly there were all these new things to spend our money on, like booze, deodorants and girls/boys... So the hobby came to a grinding halt.

Then 16 years went by, I got tempted a couple of times, but never had the time or the money, so I stuck with RPGs. Untill my boyfriend. got hit by cancer, which meant a lot of hospitalization, where I had the choice between nervously biting my nails, getting drunk and crying at bartenders - or get a new hobby to distract myself. At the time my RPG group had just picked up the Warhammer RPG, and one of the group had an old empire army stashed away that we used for battles, so after a few looks I mustered a Horde of Chaos and is on my fourth army in 3 years :p

BTW: The boyfriend got cured, but is still a little confused where all those toy soldiers are coming from :D

The bearded one
06-01-2011, 13:10
My first time..?

Well, my first time was with this cheerleader and... what? O, sorry, I misunderstood the question ^^

I started with the LotR game, with a sort of weekly magazine + models thingy. My dad knew about a local GW so he took me there one time and it peaked my interest in fantasy. Checked out the old UK site a lot and eventually bought a few things. I wasn't really a player. Not for lotr nor fantasy. I got the BFSP set a year or so after and learned the rules and started playing small games in my local GW and it grw from there to where I am now, supplanting the LotR stuff 3-4 years ago.

hashrat
06-01-2011, 13:46
Dusting off a box of 40k 2nd ed. from my mate's shelf and asking "What the hell is this?" :P A read of the books and purchasing Ezikiel of the Dark Angels not long after got me hooked.

2nd Ed and DA ftw!

As for warhammer I don't know, 11 years ago I think, most likely more.
Was more into Necromunda and 2nd Ed 40k and epic back then.

enyoss
06-01-2011, 17:25
So we had a playing area 8'x4', and set up our armies 12" on from the short table edges. My chaos army (consisting almost entirely of infantry) had to walk 6' across the board to get to my Empire opponent's cannons.

I seem to be quote stalking you a bit at the moment (sorry!), but we did exactly the same thing with our first proper game. The only difference was that we had a ton of dwarf artillery instead, with King Kazador and Ungrim Ironfist leading a couple of pathetically small units, hiding behind hills for defence from spells, to finish of the stragglers. And this was in the days when an Organ Gun was basically 5 cannons strapped togther, costing 35% less than a single cannon on its own :wtf:.

Urgat
06-01-2011, 17:41
My first "game" was on the floor of my brother's room, we had no armybooks, just the default rules, so we both took the same profiles from the Battle book (I think we took orc warriors and goblin archers profiles actually), deployed kinda randomly on the ground about one meter from each other, and fought like that. We did find it fun :p

papabearshane
06-01-2011, 17:53
A Good friend of mine introduced me and a few others to Mordheim and 40k, When he passesd away (RIP Bart) I kinda got into it as a fun way to remember him and the fun of the game just sucked me into the world of fantasy battle.

Now Im an addict and proud of it.

ColShaw
06-01-2011, 18:39
My first time. I was in my dorm room at college, and there was this beautiful blonde...

*ahem*

Right, first Warhammer game. Summer 1996. A local gamestore's proprietor was thinking about starting to carry Warhammer stuff. I didn't know what it was (I was there to play MTG), but some of my gaming buddies suggested all going in on the hobby together. There'd be a couple of rulebooks bouncing around (two starter boxes got bought), and we'd all just learn it together. So this was an unusual situation where NO ONE was a veteran. I bought a 2000-point boxed O&G army, figuring, in for a penny, in for a pound (and I've NEVER had all my models painted since that day) and I paid for it with, among other things, $26.00 in quarters that I had in a coin bank on top of my dresser. 104 quarters is a HEAVY thing to carry. :) Anyway, we opened up our boxes all together the day the first shipment arrived, busted them off the sprues (breaking more than a few), and started rolling dice. We had no idea what we were doing, and we were playing it completely wrong, but we had a blast. As I recall, my first opponent was Chaos, with a large Beastman detachment. I don't remember who won.

pkain762
06-01-2011, 19:31
my friends were looking through the 3rd edition 40k main rule book. Everyone was going through there armies and what they have and wanted.... i remember looking at the range of models....

It was the awesome how amazing these models were.... I watched them play a game later that night.... and from that point on i was hooked

40k nerd since 2000

Fruhauf
06-01-2011, 19:41
Going to secondary school as an 11 year old, a group in my class were already playing fantasy and as I had no friends at the time I hung around with those guys and they introduced me to Warhammer. I picked up Wood Elves (and masses of those identical archers) I believe this was 6th edition although the rules we played certainly didn't come out of the rulebook!

I moved schools the following year and picked up LoTR instead because I loved the films, but I didn't game with any models I just painted. By the time I hit around 14 I'd pretty much stopped all warhammer, but when I was 16 I decided to check out a Games Workshop and see how the hobby was doing. I walked out with a Chaos Battalion.

ftayl5
07-01-2011, 05:12
it would have been 6 years ago that I first walked into a GW store and looked at the models on display. I wouldn't actually start the game 'till 2 years later when a friend of mine convinced me to start playing despite what I called 'ridiculous' expenses. I then bought a Tomb Kings battalion, I didn't have my first game against another person for a while but I think it was against another friend of mine that started playing just after I did.
And then me him and the guy who got me into it originally started roping our other friends into it, we must have gotten GW thousands of dollars when you think of it.