PDA

View Full Version : Cheesiest Army you've ever played?

eclipsed
04-01-2011, 09:08
I'm just curious what with all the hoohah about the game becoming "more competitive" and "less fun" what has been the worst army list you've ever faced off against. I'm talking about the most min/maxed unfairly boring absolutely unbeatable list ever.

For me it was a nidzilla list back in 4th edition with two flying tyrants, two min ripper squads and then the rest were dakkafexes. He hid the rippers in the back and If I remember correctly I don't think I killed a single unit. The game was loads of fun. :shifty:

What about you guys? (especially in the new edition)

cuda1179
04-01-2011, 09:27
I'm pretty sure you got cheated. Didn't the last Tyranid codex limit you to just one Winged Tyrant?

As for you question, there are tons of options.

The all-pathfinder Eldar list (It was worse in 3rd editon with the Craftworld codex).

Iron Warriors with maxed Obliterators and 4 heavy support

tezdal
04-01-2011, 09:55
Old Codex Iron Warriors.

insectum7
04-01-2011, 10:05
Those were pretty bad, but I think I disliked 3rd ed. Blood Angels more. Potential ~28" charges on the first turn.

PyroSikTh
04-01-2011, 10:51
Not necessarily cheesy, but my mate recently decided to field 3 Dreadnoughts with 2 Assault Cannons, 2 Missile Launchers and 2 twin-linked Autocannons between them against my new Dark Eldar after I told him I was playing with literally everything I had plus a few pointless upgrades.

I still managed to get a draw, but I felt a little cheated about him getting out 3 perfectly equipped dreadnoughts.

Isfimbur
04-01-2011, 10:57
I faced the same type of list the OP described a couple of times with my Armaggeddon black templars. It was more or less impossible to win against something like that with the dex of the time.

Tenzing
04-01-2011, 11:05
2nd Ed Space Wolves- Including 20 Cyclone/Assault Cannon Termies.

The cheese creep that's been occurring recently has slowed my GW gaming a little, but I'll bear it as long as they don't bring back the old wargear system from Dark Millenium!

SumYungGui
04-01-2011, 11:59
I only recently got back into the game with 5th edition so I don't have any old-school cheese. It's mostly Cheese Ang- I mean Blood Angels and Wall-of-Chimera IG that frosts my flakes.

Kaelarr
04-01-2011, 12:02
I dont really see a chees creep tbh, the last few codex's have all been reasonable, I havent seen an uber list come from them, they are ok, but amazing.

Worst lists were 2nd ed. The wolf guard termie army as above with a high level rune priest was balls. So was the all leman russ army led by Lord Solar in a tank.

So all those tanks can shoot me from off the table, then get turn 1 because of the Mac, and roll on and shoot me again?!

Valek
04-01-2011, 12:05
uh,

2nd edition chaos, lord of chaos, four marks, combatdrugs, deamon weapon, charging 24 inch and in cc summonning Bloodthirster end 20+ letters and dogs...

and oh yes 2+ rerollable save on 2D6 and immune to psychic powers...

Lowmans
04-01-2011, 12:43
Ork Pulsa Rokkit spam.....

Welcome to 6 turns of your army doing nothing but falling over and standing up!

Bestaltan
04-01-2011, 13:52
I made the mistake once early last year of telling a friend that I was going to test out a Bug list with lots of little guys in spore pods. Wanted to see how things like termagaunts and hormagaunts did when podded in.

Guy brought his Ork army........with over 27 burnas and skorchas.

Bergen Beerbelly
04-01-2011, 17:31
Chaos army with boatloads of Rhino's filled with Pink Horrors. The guy crashed them into stuff, the vehicles explode, all the pink horrors died, only to be replaced by twice as many blue horrors, which would then rush you..

ColShaw
04-01-2011, 17:43
I played in a Rogue Trader tournament once, back in 3rd Ed, where I was facing off against an IG army, with Daemonhunters allies. It used:

Ursarkar Creed in command (to get the reroll for first turn)
Callidus Assassin
Grey Knight Grandmaster leading 50 IG Conscripts (to give them Ld10 and a scary character; this was the ONLY GK character in the army!)
Lots of tanks

This was just unpleasant, as it was clear he was cherry-picking the 2 Daemonhunters units useful (this was before the requirement to include an Inquisitor to take an Assassin) and didn't care one bit about background or army composition.

On the plus side, I torched most of the Conscript unit and he actually failed his Morale test. They fell back and dragged the Grand Master with them!

MajorWesJanson
04-01-2011, 18:21
Doubles tournament not long ago. 1500 points per player, so 3000 team
Enemy was double Nids:
2 Winged Tyrants
1-2 Walking Tyrants with Guard
4 Hive Guard
4 Tervigons
2 Trygon
minimum sized squads of gaunts to get the tervies
2 Doom in pods
3 Zoans
Ymgarl Stealers
some other stuff

Mission was table quarters cap and control. Most demoralizing game ever.

Lord Damocles
04-01-2011, 18:38
3.5th ed. Iron Warriors infilrating tank hunting autocannon Havok spam
3.5th ed. Death Guard Infilrationg Plague Marine hoard
3.5th ed. twin infiltarting speed Lord 'Alpha Legion' (painted as Black Legion...
4th ed. Flyrant + Dakka Tyrant, 6 Dakkafexes, min Rippers Nidzilla
4th ed. flying Shard of the Monolith wielding Librarian Relictors (with min Scouts of course!)
5th ed. allied Nob Bikers/Jetseers doubles game

Bonzai
04-01-2011, 19:04
I'm a Necron player, so I handicap myself a little to start. However I have only come across 2 lists in 5th edition that I felt that I had absolutely no chance against. One was a space marine biker list. Ordinarily it wouldn't be THAT bad, but as a Necron player there is only so much 2nd story terrain to hide in, and assault means death. Even when it came to shooting, they were twin linked, with T5. It was just a really bad match up, not so much cheese. But the other....

Grimar
4x 10 Wolfguard with 2 terminator armored Cyclone missile launcher.
3x Longfangs w/ Missile Launchers.

For 23 Rocket Launcher shots a turn.

It's a tough nut to crack, and you really need to have the right tools to take it down.

Bunnahabhain
04-01-2011, 19:11
Guard, spamming the old FW Heavy Mortars. The old ones, that a hit caused any unit , even fearless etc ones, to fall back, even off the board...

Dtill
04-01-2011, 19:19
3rd Ed. chap approved seeding swarm.

Toldavf
04-01-2011, 19:28
3rd Ed. chap approved seeding swarm.

Was that the list with the stealers that could deep strike and charge?

ASSASSINAWOKEN
04-01-2011, 20:15
Doesn't it just boil down to a sour opponent whose tactics are weak and is eventually called cheesey?

There was a marine player who at a local shop near me would always bring a tech marine who would upgrade the armour or something along the lines for his dreadnaughts and he would place them in buildings for cover so they would get a 50% chance to avoid a damaging penetrating hit.

he was accused of cheating, though I am not sure what it was he was cheating on.

PapaDoc
04-01-2011, 22:20
Jetbike seer councol.

Deployment: Dawn of War

Mission: Killpoints

Fun level: 0.0001

cabowers
04-01-2011, 22:34
500 point game vs guard

I took 2 tactical squads and a dev squad (no hq as was store campaign)

He took IG Infantry platoon (HQ and 2 squads), vet squad, deathstrike with camo cloak and 2 griffon heavy mortars.

Very little I could do except run towards him and hope he kept rolling low for his deathstrike. Nearly salvaged a draw due to kill points but still not very fun

Bunnahabhain
04-01-2011, 22:45
You're calling a list blowing almost 1/3rd of the points on a death-strike cheesy? It's a piece of rubbish.

A 500pt guard list could be far, far , far nastier.... i.e. two squads of veterans in chimeras, and a russ.

DJ3
04-01-2011, 22:51
I'm talking about the most min/maxed unfairly boring absolutely unbeatable list ever.

Open up the current Daemonhunter book and have a look at a Psychic Power called Sanctuary.

Then, take into account that a full Daemon Codex actually exists now, although it obviously did not at the time.

Makes any objective game literally unwinnable. Not "oh no it's super hard and all my models are going to die!" but instead "it's turn 1 and I passed a Psychic test. I win."

(and yes, I've had someone do this to me)

Garven Dreis
04-01-2011, 22:55
To be fair, do we still think that the 3.5 ed. Iron Warriors list would be cheesy these days? Especially with some of the lists we have now..

Bunnahabhain
04-01-2011, 23:01
To be fair, do we still think that the 3.5 ed. Iron Warriors list would be cheesy these days? Especially with some of the lists we have now..

The topic is cheesiest army you've ever faced, so that 3.5 ed Iron Warrior list is to be judged against lists and rules of that time; I've not faced one of them since the slimmed down codex came out...

The hunt for the cheesiest combination of army list and rules set is a rather more complex one.

eclipsed
04-01-2011, 23:06
You're calling a list blowing almost 1/3rd of the points on a death-strike cheesy? It's a piece of rubbish.

A 500pt guard list could be far, far , far nastier.... i.e. two squads of veterans in chimeras, and a russ.

I played a 40k in 40min against that list with stormtroopers and minus the russ. (400 points) I killed one of the squads but eventually lost to the other's plasma guns.

I didn't think that list was particularly cheesy, but it was mobile, nasty, and it was a solid build for our tournament.

Dtill
06-01-2011, 05:09
Was that the list with the stealers that could deep strike and charge?

Ya. Same one with 8 shot str 8 deep strike fex.

Spectral Dragon
06-01-2011, 06:52
Tyrranid warrior list. (current codex)

Warriors, lictors, and a swarmlord.

I had necrons. I then tried my wolves, same result.

I don't know why you tyrranid players say your codex sucks after those two battles. You can have everything on the board with multiple wounds and psyche everything up around you with a swarmlord.

noobzilla
06-01-2011, 07:02
Tyrranid warrior list. (current codex)

Warriors, lictors, and a swarmlord.

I had necrons. I then tried my wolves, same result.

I don't know why you tyrranid players say your codex sucks after those two battles. You can have everything on the board with multiple wounds and psyche everything up around you with a swarmlord.

Because the whole instant death thing kinda ruins big multi wound models like warriors that are only t4.

the swarmlord can only really buff a single unit a turn as well, he's great no doubt but it's not like he can make the entire army invincible.

Enderel
06-01-2011, 14:49
Jetbike seer councol.

Deployment: Dawn of War

Mission: Killpoints

Fun level: 0.0001

I fail to see how this scenario is actually that scary or cheesey unless the person you were playing didn't know the rules for DoW.

Farseer = 1 HQ choice
Warlocks = 1 HQ choice

So one starts on the board or the other does. Still means you get shooting phase before they are fortuned up, might be in night fighting though.

He who is doom
06-01-2011, 14:50
i faced a chaos list that was unique.
it was
-chaos lord with nothing
-2 5 man chaos squads
-3 defilers
-3 dreadnoughts.
that was a 1000pts battle. and i was playing orks

airgee
06-01-2011, 18:05
craftworld ulthawe eldar 3rd ed
3 wraithlords with starcannons
4 guardian squads(starcannons)
10 dark reapers + mugan ra
10 howling banshees + wave serpant(stacannon)
pretty much all starcannon army with lets mop the few survivors with banshees
oh and ubbered up seer council with eldrad

Inach
06-01-2011, 18:11
I made the mistake once early last year of telling a friend that I was going to test out a Bug list with lots of little guys in spore pods. Wanted to see how things like termagaunts and hormagaunts did when podded in.

Guy brought his Ork army........with over 27 burnas and skorchas.
Quess your friendship ends that day? :rolleyes:

Dead Man Walking
06-01-2011, 19:54
The guard leafblower list is the worst, on turn one half of my space marine vehicles were destroyed and the other half was unable to fire, had no weapons left and immobilized/unable to move. My first turn my guys hop out and run for cover and objectives, started playing the surviving game, and turn 2 my tanks were completely removed from the game and I was reduced to one unit of infantry with 3 models in it, I hid in terrain again and by turn 3 I had nothing left. Game over. I caused absolutely no damage to his army. Nothing.

Pontiff
06-01-2011, 20:16
I used to hate 3rd edition assault armies versus guard... especially stuff like space wolves, it always felt that once you'd let them touch *one* of your models it was a chain reaction of death.

The most frustrating thing at the time IIRC was that you couldnt voluntarily leave a combat so I'd end up with ten guardsmen with absolutley *no way* of damaging a dreadnought forced to fight it for two or three turns while the leman russ crew 3 inches away could do *nothing* as they were not allowed to fire into a combat even against hopeless odds.

Reason why 3rd edition was utter bum roll #243 in an occasional series.. collect the set.

Zeroth
06-01-2011, 22:56
750 with Memphiston. However my army was even cheesier, so we had great fun. But I doubt that there are many others who'd enjoy playing our lists :p

Steel Legion for Life
06-01-2011, 22:58
The first 40k doubles tournament at Nottingham head office, which was run under the old "40k in 40 minutes rules" (I.e. 400pts, 33 max added AV for vehicles, nothing with 2+ save or 3 wounds or more), was meant to be fun... But people just ran off the deep end with it.

Among the armies were:

Saim-Hannah armies paired with 12 starcannon vipers (in 800 points - with three shot starcannons)

Ork army pairs with 2 grot mobs and 18 individual killa kans, as the rules said "no force org restrictions other than one troops choice" - no force org....means NO force org.

The worst of all was a paired IG list with 2 5 man Kasrkin squads and six basilisks. SIX basilisks. In 800 points. Now, that's cheese!

Pontiff
06-01-2011, 23:27
Its a shame that as that tourny was originally supposed to be, as you say, a fun one to get folk into as they could play with a mate, their dad or whatever and not need a massive painted army.

Looks like the events team failed there then, would that be around 2003 by any chance?

yabbadabba
07-01-2011, 00:45
This one again?

2nd Ed 1500pt Eldar army worth 0 vps. You could only hope to beat it if the scenario had objectives worth VPs and your opponent didn't wipe out too much of your army.

Draconis
07-01-2011, 01:44
the old IG armies that allowed you to double fire your ordnance? Imagine 9 basilisks getting 2 shots each on the first turn?

Angelwing
07-01-2011, 06:48
4th ed, pick up game in a store. 1500pts, I have a foot battle sister army with a couple of meltaguns and multimeltas. He pulls out the imperial guard armoured company with a creature design rules pimped to the max lizardman carnosaur model (with a guard guy sitting on top). I did manage cripple two of his sentinels, whilst my army was completely destroyed.
I challenged him to a rematch the following week and turned up with a tyranid list chock full of 2+ save monstrous creatures, including the tyranid design rule malefactor loaded with 5 rending claw raveners (minimum 24 inch charge range, up to 29), an exocrine and a barbed heirodule (gargantuan creature conveniently only taking up a heavy slot). I did of course only have the bare minimum ripper swarms for troops which amusingly tied up his sentinals. Terrible shame all his basilisks and battle cannons bounced off my 2+ saves, and I'd folded his army in 3 turns.
My opponent had the cheek to cry cheese afterwards. Yes, thats right my army was bearded to the max to actually have a good chance of beating your silly over the top army. Oddly enough he never played me again and continued challenging unsuspecting gamers in the store, not quite learning that it's not really sporting to have an armoured company for pick up games...

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 07:44
This one again?

2nd Ed 1500pt Eldar army worth 0 vps. You could only hope to beat it if the scenario had objectives worth VPs and your opponent didn't wipe out too much of your army.

That sounds mad, how did that work then?

edit: its over a decade since i've played a 2nd ed eldar force but would it be having no unit over 100 pts?

Serpent
08-01-2011, 09:45
Is this played or played against?

If played, then my example is from this passed autumn, when me and a friend played a Doubles Tournament (2x1000 pts) with a double SW list. I used two full Rhinos with Grey Hunters and a large unit of Thunderwolves, with a Warrior Born Thunderwolf Lord. He used two small units of Hunters, three units of Long Fangs and Njal.

We came in at 2nd place, the 1st nabbed by a Nob Biker/Lash+Obliterator list...

Worst list I've ever played against is the above combo, or the 2n Ed all-Assault Cannon SW list. No, wait. It's the double Jetbike Council, with three "scoring" Falcons (5 DA in each) in support.

Sky-Slasher
08-01-2011, 12:10
I played Long Fang w/ missile launchers and razorback spam. It was an unbelievably cheese worthy list. They just sat in the corner shooting my 'Nids to bits.

igwarlord
08-01-2011, 19:22
my current list is cheesy i guess is my 9 hydra flak tanks in my current IG list
all the De players cry cheese
its only funny cause they were in the list BEFORE the new DE book came out and everyone started up a DE list
sigh
i guess the cheese goes with the whine after all

kaimarion
08-01-2011, 20:52
I guess the cheese goes with the whine after all.

Indeed :p.

TBH I never really played against any truly cheesy armies, it has just been bad tactics or list building that has caused me to get tabled in the past.

yabbadabba
08-01-2011, 22:50
That sounds mad, how did that work then?
edit: its over a decade since i've played a 2nd ed eldar force but would it be having no unit over 100 pts? Yup. Every army mentioned on here can be beaten, this one could only be beaten if the scenario allowed it and it took a while for that information to get through to GWHQ and then back out to the gamers.

susu.exp
08-01-2011, 23:14
But anything except Characters under 50 points gave at least 1 VP for being destroyed under both 2nd Ed basic and DM victory point rules.

yabbadabba
08-01-2011, 23:19
But anything except Characters under 50 points gave at least 1 VP for being destroyed under both 2nd Ed basic and DM victory point rules. Initally it was 100pts. Then we had that, and all of a sudden Eldar armies became a 1VP army. Then it was finally fixed.

susu.exp
09-01-2011, 00:00
I still donīt see it. Under the Rulebook all characters units and Tanks were worth 1 VP when destroyed or killed. Under 100 points you got nothing for wounding, below half strenght and damaged, but that was all. If the Eldar could get all their units under 100 points, they basically gave of VPs like todays KPs (1 point per Character killed, unit wiped out or vehicle destroyed). Under DM it got a bit more complicated, but only Characters under 50 points would give away nothing even when destroyed. Could the Eldar field entire armies of characters?

yabbadabba
09-01-2011, 00:04
I still donīt see it. Under the Rulebook all characters units and Tanks were worth 1 VP when destroyed or killed. Under 100 points you got nothing for wounding, below half strenght and damaged, but that was all. If the Eldar could get all their units under 100 points, they basically gave of VPs like todays KPs (1 point per Character killed, unit wiped out or vehicle destroyed). Under DM it got a bit more complicated, but only Characters under 50 points would give away nothing even when destroyed. Could the Eldar field entire armies of characters? I seem to remember the books getting edited for later box sets mate.

fwacho
09-01-2011, 10:38
I faced a slaneesh double lash sourcer list with:
4 rhinos
4X6 man squad of slaneesh, most with champ with power fist
3 chaos dreads packing plasma cannons,
2 vindicators,
1 defiler.

oh and I missed a minor victory by a single miss on the last shot of the game with my deathwing.

Minsc
09-01-2011, 11:51
Oddly enough he never played me again and continued challenging unsuspecting gamers in the store, not quite learning that it's not really sporting to have an armoured company for pick up games...

I had a similar experience in 4th Ed.
Armoured Company back then was just moronic, and so was anyone playing it without telling their opponent pre-hand what they were fielding.

madprophet
09-01-2011, 12:48
personally, I don't believe in this idea of "cheesy" armies. If the army is legal then it is fair play to field it. Any list can be beaten, and I've found most of the so called "cheesy" lists are one trick ponies. Once you figure out the key they fold like cheap cameras.

Stealin' Genes
19-01-2011, 17:06
That Deathstrike in 500 points is pretty funny. Not in a derisive way, but in a "I think I would like the guy who fielded that" sort of way.

IcedCrow
19-01-2011, 17:41
3rd edition. 1500 point Eldar army with 16 star cannons in it at a tournament. It was the extreme of anti-marine lists and unsurprisingly placed like 2nd or 3rd out of 45 people.

FashaTheDog
19-01-2011, 17:50
my current list is cheesy i guess is my 9 hydra flak tanks in my current IG list
all the De players cry cheese
its only funny cause they were in the list BEFORE the new DE book came out and everyone started up a DE list
sigh

I disagree here. With the old Codex, Guard was the only even match up provided they built their list with Dark Eldar in mind. Even the take all comers lists that still anticipated a Dark Eldar player could still fit the bill. What did it was the Hydras, Valkyries, Al'Rahem, and Creed. By using the two special characters to outflank an infantry platoon along with a short ranged or hard hitting unit while the Valkyries do likewise under covering fire of the Hydras, the Dark Eldar lost a good deal of control of he game. It was by no means a shoe in for the Guard player against a good Dark Eldar player (which were all that there was at the time), but unlike auto-winning against MEQ (and tabling Terminator armies in record time) or auto-losing against Orks and Tyranids, the game really came down to dice and terrain layout. I personally enjoyed these games the most.

As to cheesiest lists, Dark Eldar can take that easily in 500 point combat patrol. With the current book, run a Raider with five Warriors in it and three Ravagers with Flicker Fields and Night Shields. The Ravagers will need a a few dark lances, but mostly disintegrators. In the old Codex, it was actually worse with a minimum sized Raider squad with a blaster and three Ravagers with a trio of disintegrators, and two of which with Night Shields. The nine S7 AP2 blasts from 36" away doubled as anti-tank weapons since the heaviest armor you faced was front armor 12 and that was uncommon. If you needed to move more than 6" and still shoot, then two of the three disintegrators on each Ravager could be fired at low power (24" S4 AP3 Heavy 3 each), to make them defensive weapons alongside the full powered shot.

Hashmal
19-01-2011, 20:57
I don't view any army as cheesy. Never have. Everything is within legal limits to take; some lists are just more competitive at achieving the objectives of the game than others. None of them milk an obvious oversight in the rules for victory while giving your opponent little to no recourse.

This one again?

Except that. THAT is cheesy. I didn't play second edition and I'm damn glad I've never run across such a thing.

The toughest armies I've faced/put together:

3.0 Dark Eldar Lance spam. Bane of vehicles everywhere. Since 1998.
3.5 Chaos Iron Warriors. Obliterator spam FTW.
3.5 Chaos Alpha Legion. HOW many dudes can infiltrate?
3.5 Chaos Word Bearers Demon Bomb in 4th edition. I hear you liek rending.
4.0 Nidzilla with 6+ scoring MCs. Tough to beat.
4.0 Eldar Falcon Spam. Before 5th edition, there was just no killing the DAVU Falcon.
5.0 Space Wolves balanced list. It's just a great codex. Grey Hunters are a little too cheap.
5.0 Imperial Guard, MeltaMechVets. List is insanely good in 5th edition; codex falls prey to old DE syndrome with a couple of no-brainer amazing awesome choices, a couple questionable choices, and some pretty awful choices.

I miss 3.5 Chaos, clearly. :cries:

Bestaltan
19-01-2011, 23:10

Funny how that works. For the past year I've gotten plenty of "Oh, Tyranids are very well balanced" as I watched Bug list after Bug list get driven into the ground. Now that I'm winning consistently with them, suddenly those same people are complaining about how OP Bugs are. :rolleyes:

mr_purple_9
22-01-2011, 00:33
Yeah armoured companies in pick up games were bad. Played a guy with 1500 pts of AC Vs. my Dark Angels.

I managed to take down 1 tank with my DA clustered in the middle of the table. But basically they got pummeled into tiny pieces.

However my DA Lord and his Assault Marines did a deep strike behind the tanks. Inevatibly they got smacked by a Battle Cannon and the Assoult Marines died. Thankfully i'd paid the the Artificer Armour upgrade on my Lord and he passed his 2+ save. He had a power sword but also melta-bombs...

He then took out 4 tanks blowing up one every turn that he could! I lost but at least it was just a minor one in the end :)

bossfearless
22-01-2011, 05:32
The one I will always remember was the awful 3rd ed Siren army that was built around a typo. The only model on the table was a single Daemon Prince with the Siren power, which forbade you from shooting or assaulting it. Not the usual "take a Ld test to attack this model," but a flat out "you are not allowed to target this model." All he did was walk up and summon his entire army of Daemons, which didn't scatter and could assault after deep striking. No fun at all.

owen matthew
22-01-2011, 06:21
Yeah armoured companies in pick up games were bad. Played a guy with 1500 pts of AC Vs. my Dark Angels.

I managed to take down 1 tank with my DA clustered in the middle of the table. But basically they got pummeled into tiny pieces.

However my DA Lord and his Assault Marines did a deep strike behind the tanks. Inevatibly they got smacked by a Battle Cannon and the Assoult Marines died. Thankfully i'd paid the the Artificer Armour upgrade on my Lord and he passed his 2+ save. He had a power sword but also melta-bombs...

He then took out 4 tanks blowing up one every turn that he could! I lost but at least it was just a minor one in the end :)

This kind of thing happened all the time when the opponent finally stoped whining and just got down to playing the game! The army was only as strong as its rear armour, and the oponents mental condition!!! I blew up my own tanks with scaters trying to knock the one squad that could hurt them off the back line. there was really no good solution for that. I frequently coached cry-babies on how to beat the army so they would have more fun playing against it, until I sold it.

eyescrossed
22-01-2011, 06:45
Erm. If you played it in pickup games without notifying them beforehand, I wouldn't call them "crybabies". That's pretty dog.

owen matthew
22-01-2011, 08:03
Erm. If you played it in pickup games without notifying them beforehand, I wouldn't call them "crybabies". That's pretty dog.

Tournamnets. I actually had guys whine and throw tantrums openly. I had a couple quit the round without playing.

Understandably, only a small amount ever wanted to play it in pick up games. I never turned it down myself, and played several people's armies againt it and did very well. Also, not very many people could pick it up on the fly and do very well with it... it actually takes practice to manage that much facing on the board, and make good target selection every turn.

Its really a mind thing.

eyescrossed
22-01-2011, 08:06
Hrm. Well if it was made clear that it was tourney legal, they were a bit...

What's the word? Whiney.

totgeboren
22-01-2011, 10:11
The most cheezy army I have played was 2:ed Nids. I sold them because no one was enjoying facing me.
Cheesiest army I have faced was actually 2:ed Eldar. I remember even getting my opponent to play his army as it was vs my Death Guards, but we skipped the psychic phase (the phase were Eldar really were king)!
Still got dismembered in 2-3 turns...

Stonerhino
24-01-2011, 06:36
Cheesiest army I ever fielded was 17 Wolf Guard Terminators w/assult cannons and powerfist + TH/SH Wolf Lord @ 2K points in second edition.

Scaryscarymushroom
24-01-2011, 07:00
4th edition Chapter approved wych cult.

I was also slightly upset by an illegal Tau list I played a while back. They had no troops. other than that, it was 5 squads of crisis suits and o'shovah with a bodyguard. All with as many plasma guns as they could carry. It wouldn't have been so bad except that the player neglected to note that crisis suits don't get to move 12" in the movement phase, and he treated the plasma guns as separate weapons. 2 full squads of crisis suits could shoot 24 plasma shots that didn't overheat. :/ my army went squish. Then I got home and looked at the tau codex.

And the Doom of Malan'tai is frustrating too.

I played a few games against horde armies and 3rd edition GKs where I had 8 heavy bolters in 750 to 1000 points. If you're clever about it, battle sisters can fairly reliably give their heavy bolters an ability similar to rending. Those 8 heavy bolters chewed through PAGKs, gaunts, hive tyrants, ork boys, etc. They could never handle daemons though.

PapaDoc
24-01-2011, 10:40
Of course there are cheesy armies and bad match ups. If you don't believe me then do this experiment:

1. Build a 1750 Chaos Space marine army.

2. Find the best IG player in your area. Tell him to build his best army.

3. Play him.

4. ?????

5. Post in this thread how big you lost.

Emperor's_Child
24-01-2011, 18:15
No army is really all that cheesy nowadays. I do remember though me playing against nothing but infantry Eldar with Swooping Hawks picking me off left and right, while he just had Fire Dragons and such. That was in 4E, but this was just a matter of me not having a large enough, nor good enough army at the tourny, so that's all my fault. :P However that 2E Eldar mentioned sounds ridiculous.

Lord Damocles
24-01-2011, 18:48
I find it a little odd that so many people seem to consider Armoured Company lists cheesy.

The 3rd ed. list was crippled by the Lucky Glancing Hits rule which meant Grots could take out Russes, and the 4th ed. list had the compulsary bajillion victory point Command/Ace tanks.

:cheese:

FashaTheDog
24-01-2011, 19:13
In fairness, a Krieg Armored Battlegroup list in Dawn of War against a player unfamiliar with what they are facing can be more than a little wrong if they deploy first. I mean how many armies can drop one HQ unit and two Troops units that can deal with seven Leman Russ? Granted the rest of the army will walk on turn 1, but unless they're focused on mobile shooting or any Dark Eldar army, much of their firepower will be limited from moving. That can leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Apart from that, the current tank list really isn't too powerful even with being able to run a Gorgon in regular 40K. Actually, for 430+ points for one, it really is too expensive for a platoon transport until you get to 2,000 points or so. That is a problem as the list does not have Chimeras, only Centaurs, so it's a Gorgon or hoof it for the infantry platoons (the only scoring units in the list), allowing only HQ and platoon command and grenadier squads cheap transport, of which none of the three are scoring. Then there is still the command/ace requirement in the current list. So unless someone got the wrong end of Dawn of War with the current Armored list, I have to agree completely with Lord Damocles.

lachlin
24-01-2011, 19:24
3rd edition feral ork army with 120 str 5 fearless orks, 3 t8 5 wound massive squiggoths with 3 kannons each and a Nob boarboy squad all armed with burnas and dishing out 45 power weapons attacks at INT 6.

With all three squiggoths turned to the side and lined up nose to tail, you could hide the entire army behind them.

Not the cheesiest I've seen, but definitely a pain in the ****.

S00N3R FR3AK
24-01-2011, 20:47
Rune priest heavy list shooting off that stupend int test spell every chance they get at my necrons. SW is really the only army I feel like I just have no shot at all against.

aka_mythos
24-01-2011, 21:06
In apocalypse I fielded a Daemonhunter army composed of 10,000pts worth of orbital bombardment... they couldn't touch me.

faithinanarchy
24-01-2011, 22:29
Fifteen years ago i had the Space Wolf beardy army, terminators with Assault cannons/cyclone missile launchers, teleport [as it was known then] and heaps of jump packs. it was my first army, but i got bored and started collecting other armies including orks, imperial guard, eldar, nids, chaos and eventually sisters. Each army has its cheesy squads and combinations like when SB could get four heavy flamers in a immolator, move 12, get out and shoot 5/6 heavy flamers but against any half decent opponent, they can deal with it, work around it, counter it, beat it.
I agree with those who say there is no such thing as cheesy armies, just sore losers without any forsight or strategy. Also, the game is based on dice, and dice can work against you.
I took an eight year hiatus and missed editions 3.5 and 4 so have no idea what kind of armies were around at the time but now play mainly Imperial guard. It's a tank heavy army, well within the rules and the problem with having some many is that i don't get a lot of upgrades but seem to have trouble getting a game out of those i usually play as i clocked up a lot of victories, a few draws and only one loss. equally, some of my opponents play with 2xwarlock/farseer on jetbikes, fire dragons, falcons etc which doesn't bother me as its within his codex, so why not play it. Again, our games came down to dice rolls.
Wars are to be won, not cried over.
On a funny note, the current army i play, i put up as a list on warseer a few months ago, and got heaps of people laughing, saying they would take it apart, yet here i am without opponents. well well well. thank ford for the elg or i'd be bored off my nut.
Its not the army, its the player. Talk is cheap over the internet.
There are no cheesy/beardy/cheating armies, again just unsightful players and sore losers.
here's a tip: Big monsters: special weapon them, lots of tanks: krak grenade them, heaps of troops: shoot them. if you lose, pick yourself up and try again and have some diginty.

When i was a boy, my step father was a champion chess player and i played him every week, mulitple times if he wasn't tired, and he beat and beat me for years. Every time he beat me, i learnt and wanted to play him again. I played and played until one day, i finally won a game. He told me on that day i finally knew how to play chess and shook my hand. i will never forget that, bless his soul. let that be a lesson to all the whingers out there.

Angelwing
24-01-2011, 23:27
I find it a little odd that so many people seem to consider Armoured Company lists cheesy.

The 3rd ed. list was crippled by the Lucky Glancing Hits rule which meant Grots could take out Russes, and the 4th ed. list had the compulsary bajillion victory point Command/Ace tanks.

:cheese:

The 3rd ed one wasn't too bad. The 4th ed one was just silly. Unless you tooled your force specifically to fight it, you would most likely be blasted off the board.
The armoured company list could be excellent fun, but only in a specific scenario, say 'attack the heavily defended bunkers, or tank duel against another armoured company, or battle against an all MC army. It was the fact that as a chapter approved list (ie an official add on to the game) it was supposed to be valid and balanced for the normal scenarios. It quite blatantly wasn't. Players took it upon themselves to think 'hee hee, look how many tanks I can crush my opponent with' rather than ' wow here's a cool framework to base big tank battles and special missions around.' :rolleyes:

senorcardgage
26-01-2011, 11:40
The 3rd ed one wasn't too bad. The 4th ed one was just silly. Unless you tooled your force specifically to fight it, you would most likely be blasted off the board.
The armoured company list could be excellent fun, but only in a specific scenario, say 'attack the heavily defended bunkers, or tank duel against another armoured company, or battle against an all MC army. It was the fact that as a chapter approved list (ie an official add on to the game) it was supposed to be valid and balanced for the normal scenarios. It quite blatantly wasn't. Players took it upon themselves to think 'hee hee, look how many tanks I can crush my opponent with' rather than ' wow here's a cool framework to base big tank battles and special missions around.' :rolleyes:

This is basically my sentiments exactly. If you knew that you were going to play against them, then you might be able to prepare and stand a chance. For regular pickup games, though, you were just screwed against an AC.

Shnerg
26-01-2011, 11:47
A guy fitted in 100 guardsmen at 600 points. (fp)

Justicar Alaric
26-01-2011, 12:29
The old Space Marines: In the Movies list back in an old White Dwarf, 2007 I think.

sliganian
26-01-2011, 17:43
The old Space Marines: In the Movies list back in an old White Dwarf, 2007 I think.

The "Movie Marines" were explicitly and clearly written as absolutely NOT legal for tournaments or pick-ups and were explicitly and clearly written as an amusing exercise in whimsy and excess. :D

FashaTheDog
26-01-2011, 20:17
Perhaps he thought the topic was referring to cheesy as in lame or corny as the Movie Marine rules were so much so that they were actually great fun because of it.

gorfang113
27-01-2011, 00:19
A while back I had a person I would regularly play against. He would usually bring up sisters, I would bring chaos daemons, fun times were had. Then once he brought his Dark Eldar (the old book)...... I think I killed a raider and some warriors. Lance spam and bad luck for daemonic assualt led to my worst game ever.

Vashanesh
27-01-2011, 09:41
most cheesy thing ever wasnt an army, it was a card...virus outbreak strategy card from 2nd ed

Lord of Divine Slaughter
27-01-2011, 14:34
Rogue Trader. Where I was unpleasantly surprised as my opponent had bought two orbital strikes (the ones that divided itself into 6 blast templates) of vortex grenades.

The barrage of black holes annihilated my army - and subsequently the entire battlefield :p