PDA

View Full Version : Some cool ideas for Tyranid conversions from nature...

Nezalhualixtlan
05-01-2011, 20:58
Amazing World of Insect-Wing Color Discovered (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/01/insect-wing-color/)

"A closer look at seemingly drab, transparent insect wings has revealed realms of previously unappreciated color, visible to the naked eye yet overlooked for centuries.

Until now, the wing colors of many flies and wasps were dismissed as random iridescence. But they may be as distinctive and marvelous as the much-studied, much-celebrated wings of butterflies and beetles."

I just thought this was pretty cool. I went with an metallic theme for the carapace on my own Nids based on nature (was a bright metallic damselfly I saw while hiking once, sort of like what you see in the last picture), but this gives me even more ideas for wings. Just figured I'd share, I thought it was a pretty awesome article.

ChaosTicket
05-01-2011, 21:10
It would be a good idea, until you realise that the Tyranids need large, leathery(and waterproof) wings. It would be great for Skyrippers as they all small enough that fragile wings wouldnt be as much of a problem.

Colorwise, go with any color you want.

Nezalhualixtlan
05-01-2011, 21:22
Well, they wouldn't necessarily need to be leathery, though we often see people model them that way. Insect wings are often membranous chitin, and for a creature the size of some of the winged beasts in the Hive, especially Tyrants, that would be woefully insufficient. Except, there's nothing to say that they couldn't have evolved thicker chitin wings, capable of providing the thrust necessary for movement with sufficient power behind it. It wouldn't be the armor plate-like chitin they have surrounding some of the rest of their internal structure, but something thin but strong enough, and maybe somewhat flexible to act as wing material. With directed evolution like the Hive Mind provides, there are a lot of possibilities. All that's necessary is that the wing be mostly transparent, or translucent, with the layers of it causing the light bouncing around off them to produce the color.

Col. Tartleton
05-01-2011, 22:19
This is pretty cool. Poor flies have been unappreciated by ignorant scientists forever. I always thought with their shiny metallic bodies and such they'd be pretty if they weren't eating poop... now that I've seen their wings they're definitely a good looking bug...

Your nids are great btw.

Geep
06-01-2011, 01:30
Poor flies have been unappreciated by ignorant scientists forever
Off topic, but ow! This comment is so wrong it hurts me.

On topic-
The colours of the wings and body usually change depending on the angle viewed- managing to replicate this on a model would be very cool, but very difficult.

Nezalhualixtlan
06-01-2011, 15:08
I've been thinking of experimenting with some of those color shifting paints. The issue of course is cost, they aren't cheap, but if it's possible to get the stuff the put on pimped out cars, and it's not so thick it destroys the detail on the model, then it could be a neat way to get that iridescent shifting color, all you'd need to do is have a couple types and figure out a pattern to use them in.

Kurisu313
06-01-2011, 17:22
This is pretty cool. Poor flies have been unappreciated by ignorant scientists forever.

...Huh? Unnappreciated in what way?

You are aware that flies are the biologist's best friend, right? Used in all manner of experiments and studied inside and out? For a couple of centuries?

OT

I think fly wings can look very cool on nids, but i'd be wary of strength issues, particularly on larger bugs.

dragonet111
06-01-2011, 18:36
I like your idea.

One of my favorite movie is Starship Troopers and the green flying bug are really good for gargoyles.