PDA

View Full Version : Ork Tinboyz - what did they do?

Herne the hunter
05-01-2011, 23:10
I remember the minis in my catalogue reprints but not being a player I never really questioned what they were for back then. Were they supposed to act as infiltrators or something?

Clanrat
05-01-2011, 23:21
actually truth is far weirder... the orks made them (if i recall correctly ) pretty much in order to really get on everyones nerves....literal parodies designed to infuriate the enemy and give the boyz a right old laff :)

they were mek built robots that "just happened" to look a bit like the ladz enemies.

as i never had the two ork books from back then i cant really comment on gameplay imk afraid, suffice to say they were pretty much the 40k version of the Spitting Image puppets.

the1stpip
05-01-2011, 23:39
Didnt some have bombs, so they could walk into an enemy camp and blow up?

Pontiff
06-01-2011, 05:10
I'll dig out 'ere we go' and 'waagh the orks' and have a look for you.

chromedog
06-01-2011, 05:53
Tinboyz were just a type of Ork robot.

From " 'Ere we go" (RT ork codex) P92.
"Ork robots are sometimes called 'Tinboyz' -reflecting the fact that they are designed to look like metal versions of living creatures. It is traditional to make Tinboyz which look like the Space Marines, Eldar and Squats, but whose exaggerated features and gawky movements imitate and mock these races."

Wicksy
06-01-2011, 13:11
now that is class! i had no idea they existed. The ork codex needs something like than :D

Easy E
06-01-2011, 14:00
There was also a Runtbot that looked a bit like a tiny stompa. It had powerful force field generators to protect the snotling and Gretchin hordes as they moved forward.

I couldn't find a picture online, because the FW Runt Bot was hogging all the glory.

Born Again
06-01-2011, 14:48
^ Do you mean this one? http://solegends.com/citcat911/c2067orkinventshunz-h.htm

Herne the hunter
06-01-2011, 17:12
actually truth is far weirder... the orks made them (if i recall correctly ) pretty much in order to really get on everyones nerves....literal parodies designed to infuriate the enemy and give the boyz a right old laff :)

Neat. It was nice to see things like the Shokk Attak Gun and Kaptin Badrukk make a return as a nod to the days of yore but I think there's always room for more retro. It'd be nice to see some new fancypants versions of these guys to see how they'd play out nowadays. Also Madboyz.

On a semi-related note I found the old Brewhouse Bash board and rules whilst rumaging through my White Dwarfs the other day and great times were had by all.

1.6blackout
06-01-2011, 22:14
i think the new ork codex needs 4 things added to it

1) looted carnifex

2) looted void ray

3) looted inquisitor

4) looted retinue

Drasanil
06-01-2011, 23:27
3) looted inquisitor

4) looted retinue

That'd be epic, orks with the ability to dakka deep strikers:)

Khorneflakes
07-01-2011, 06:37
ive got one of the marine tin boyz, didnt know about the others haha

adeptusphotographicus
07-01-2011, 08:31
they were basically another strange unit. Ork Robots.. that simple. FW made a new version of the unit for the 2010 show model.

the "walk into camp and explode" robots were the old RT era robots.. if you picked a small robot you could make a "bombbot" essentially a walking bomb.. march it into the enemy camp and BOOM.
it was a imperial unit tho..
the fluff story which went with it talked about a firefight and one survivor staggering about.. as the orks go to invesitgate the survivor simply says " you are green" and .. well the story ends about there.

Wicksy
07-01-2011, 13:08
i think the new ork codex needs 4 things added to it

1) looted carnifex

2) looted void ray

3) looted inquisitor

4) looted retinue

5) Looted emperor :D :cool:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs18/f/2007/169/6/9/Looted_Golden_Throne_by_Jaekyu.jpg

hungry hungry hormagaunt
07-01-2011, 14:59
6) Looted webway portal. You open it in the middle of a battlefield and an irate Haemonculus sticks his head out to see what all the noise is about, then sends some Grotesques to go and stamp on people. It's an excellent weapon for the Orks, serving two vital purposes: an area denial weapon, and a way to troll the Dark Eldar.

Tapok
07-01-2011, 16:11
So let me get this straight

In the early editions, the Mekboyz made robotic dopplegangers... purely to troll everyone? That is awesome.

Problem, Astates? :trollface:

IJW
07-01-2011, 17:58
it was a imperial unit tho..
Nope, robots, like most units of the time, were available to everyone - it's just that the commonly-available models were Imperial.

In the early editions, the Mekboyz made robotic dopplegangers... purely to troll everyone? That is awesome.
Yep. :)

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 07:42
Nope, robots, like most units of the time, were available to everyone - it's just that the commonly-available models were Imperial.

Bit of a weird one that though. While stuff like the dread rules had allowancws for every race the robots article was most definitly imperial centric with the way they were made and no reference at all is made in the text to any other races. Given that in the previous issue it was stated that Eldar 'robots' were vampire class spirit warriors and the smaller protowraithguard assasin and executioner class they's already set out that eldar didnt use robots in that way.

Add the eldar harlequin list saying imperial robots were used by them and programmed to dance awkwardly etc I think the implication was very much that robots were only *manufactured* by the imperium but that others armies used loaned, captured and looted ones.

Thats my feeling on it anyway, i never saw the intention of the robots article and the build rules to be for anything other than Imperial robots as most of the tech described in the article was cutting edge for the admech, beyond orks and primitive to the eldar.

IJW
08-01-2011, 11:24
You're right, I was getting confused with the earlier Dreadnought article.

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 12:13
yeah i wasnt trying to be clever or now it all there btw i think it actually was very underdeveloped the concept of other races robots and it always seemed a shame you could design your own imperial ones but not ork/eldar/squat ones.

IJW
09-01-2011, 16:21
We used those rules for all races, which is probably why I didn't remember them being Imperium-specific.

AndrewGPaul
09-01-2011, 16:51
Are you referring to the infamous "build your own flowchart" rules for robots? That article was titled "Imperial Robots", and the sample stat blocks were for the four Imperial designs, but the article also covered Ork and Eldar robots, with some slight tweaks to the rules (Eldar robots were faster, Ork robots couldn't be as miniaturised as Imperial or Eldar robots).

And on page 103 of the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium is this picture caption: "The cortex: structured globs of bioplastic, products of lost technology. Some members of the Adeptus Mechanicus, operating in liaison with Administratum officials, spend their entire service careers working through the Oephyrius library-system on information retrieval assignments." So, at that point, the Imperium did use organic biological components in their computer systems, but they were still constructed machines, not simply brains in jars.