PDA

View Full Version : Company Command Tank

Abbo
07-01-2011, 20:15
Okay then, Ive finally got 10 Leman russ of various builds
1 Fw vanq,1 GW Vanq, 2 GW demos, 4 GW LRMBT, GW 1 exe, 1 GW exterm
Now then my company command tank the gryphonne pattern vanquisher needs to stand out, I know the long barrel is good but it needs something. Using cadian colour scheme and have used minimal baggage to save transport breakages and because im a bit compulsive about the tanks being tidy (lol).

What can i do to make the command tank truely stand out,.

Abbo

ehlijen
07-01-2011, 20:17
Do you have access to the apocalypse command vehicle upgrade sprue? There's a neat satellite aquila/dish in there.

Have him be the only tank with a commander in the cupula and all the others with closed hatches?

Write a pompous name on the dozer blade/barrel?

Abbo
07-01-2011, 20:19
could do i guess, ive tried to avoid antenna and easily breakable parts, both my vanquishers have a tank commander in the cupola :(

Bunnahabhain
07-01-2011, 20:58
To avoid breakable antenna etc, there are a few easy solutions...

1) Magnetise them- stick a magnet in the turret, and one in the radio fitting...

2) Cheat. Use thin flexible wire for the ariels, and do what real tankers do- tie down the top bit. Means it isn't sticking up loose.

If you want to go with a paint scheme, barrel rings are a good marking for a command tank that don't compromise your paint scheme, e.g.

http://hosted.wargamer.com/Panzer/witt12.jpg

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 01:15
I made my command vehicles have a frame antenna like old WWII german recce radio vehicles.

http://www.scottishschools.info/Websites/SchSecNithsdaleAcademy/UserFiles/File/40kin40min%20web%20format.pdf

Look at my converted trojan on the left, this was just bent wire rod. I also built an internal crew area with maps out and a guy with binos poking out.

Garven Dreis
08-01-2011, 01:17
You could always do a different paint scheme, or give it markings or something else suitably awesome. Thats what I'm doing for my tank leader.

Chem-Dog
08-01-2011, 04:45
Recently GW have been messing about with the ident strip that usually gets painted on the front end of the tank, having some kind of dynamic design worked into the three coloured stripes, lightning zag from the first stripe (front most) into the second and from the cecond into the third ect. Easy as aces to do depending on the complexity you try for and your relative skill AND it can't get snapped off.

I've added a few example so you get what I mean....

Mannimarco
08-01-2011, 04:51
Tradtionally the Vanquisher has been the command tank and IIRC the identification band is different from the rest of the squadron.

Clang
08-01-2011, 04:52
Well, in the real world, command tanks do everything they can to NOT stand out, to avoid being targeted :) But anyway, let's assume your commander's faith in the Emperor outweighs such trivial concerns. Suggestions:
- if you haven't already made good use of the IG vehicle accessory sprue for the other tanks, see if there's anything unique you can do with mudguards etc, to make the tank look better equipped and maintained than others
- add some mounting holes and removable banners
- if you're a great painter, give the sides and/or front a real fancy paint scheme
- if you're a great modeller, add some sort of embossed sculpture, along the lines of the Sisters of Battle vehicles (Some Cities of Death bits are good for this)
- an entourage of brave Preachers etc riding on the back, shouting encouragement through megaphones
- keep the Cadian colour scheme, but add gold highlights to details

Galatan
08-01-2011, 07:13
I made my command vehicles have a frame antenna like old WWII german recce radio vehicles.

http://www.scottishschools.info/Websites/SchSecNithsdaleAcademy/UserFiles/File/40kin40min%20web%20format.pdf

Look at my converted trojan on the left, this was just bent wire rod. I also built an internal crew area with maps out and a guy with binos poking out.

Wasn't that pic in a WD way back in the day?

Ow and the easiest way to make a command tank stand out is a slightly different colour scheme (commissar tanks are even black for example), a tank command sticking out of the cupola and some guitar strings to make antenna's.

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 07:19
Yes it was,i used to very occasionally have the odd appearance in WD (five in five years as far as i remember so no great shakes). We'd sort of kicked off 40k in 40 mins in the events team thanks to a member of the Gaming Club Network suggesting the rules and as you can imagine it was *very* popular as we could all get in a quick game at lunch.

Che and I worked with each other on events and Games Day and were asked to submit our forces (that was 400 points of my 4000 point painted guard army that *all* looked like that and i still regret selling to replace with new plastic cadians!), Mark Wells was head of GW 'UK Sales' and our boss at the time.

The other thing i remember doing for 40k at the time was a bit on abhuman regiments with Andy Hoare and i did a load of the regiment conversions in the Guard collectors guide including the mutie riders :)

(oh and i've just remembered its my 'Iridian 9th' guard in one of the later Guard Collectors guides)

Pontiff
08-01-2011, 07:33
Also if you want to ape retro command tanks (seeing as 40k armour shouldnt really look like modern armour if you want the right feel) remember that wwi and wwii command tanks often had larger turrets with dummy guns so the turret space could be used for more radios and even stuff like small map tables etc. You could try enlarging the hull by raising it upwards... that feature carried on even to the end of the cold war with command APCs having raised superstructures.

See here command version of the m113 apc the m557

http://data.primeportal.net/apc/mng_m577/Dsc07991.jpg

and command version of the british Spartan, the Sultan

http://www.military-today.com/apc/fv105_sultan.jpg

compared to a regular spartan

http://www.dmkf.dk/gallerier/medlemskoretojer/images/Spartan_CVRT_PBR.JPG

And to go back to WWII

A command panzer I

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-265-0006-31%2C_Russland%2C_Befehlspanzer_1.jpg

A regular panzer I

http://legionarybooks.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Panzer_1.298174742_std.png

Abbo
08-01-2011, 07:55

that is one lovely trojan.

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Bunnahabhain
08-01-2011, 12:36
Well, in the real world, command tanks do everything they can to NOT stand out, to avoid being targeted :) But anyway, let's assume your commander's faith in the Emperor outweighs such trivial concerns.

Only some of the time.

For less well trained tank forces, and those without, or with very poor radios, it was common practice to make the command tank obvious.

Although there is an obvious threat from the enemy picking you off, the problems of your own unit not being able to identify you, so not taking orders, directions etc, or simply getting lost can outweigh them.....

" Yes sir, that's right we let the enemy destroy our logistics train, as the unit followed the lead tank down the wrong road for 15km....Why is the commissar fingering his pistol holster..."

Life in the the Red Army 1941-45 Guard might be hard and dangerous...

Red Army, Great patriotic war. Tank commanders were normally identified by a red ring around the base of the barrel; that and the hatch being open, and a guy with semaphore flags standing up in it. They actually kept using the flags, even after the radios improved, as they were simple, understood, and kept radio silence....

Clang
08-01-2011, 18:43
Yes, WW2 shows the advantages and disadvantages of 'obvious' command tanks. The German tanks mostly had radios, and tried hard to make their command tanks not stand out, often using normal Panzer III and IV tanks and turrets minus the main guns (to gain extra room inside) but adding dummy gun barrels to fool the enemy. Russian tanks tended not to have radios (at least early in the war) and so needed to be obvious to their own side (and unfortunately also therefore to the enemy).

Modellingwise and fluffwise, the 'obvious' versions are certainly more fun :)

Bjorn Hellhammer
08-01-2011, 19:02
Youy could always double track the tank like a Sherman Jumbo or reverse the tracks on a gun tank. Needs a bit of fettling, but not too much. The commisar tank on the left has a FW brass eagle behind the cupola, don't do it as it's a pain in the backside to store without it exploding :shifty:

Xepher
09-01-2011, 10:28
Congrats on the collection. Also recently found myself in the same position so have been pondering.

If you're willing to make put in the effort and going for the widened track option I quite like Penguin of death's version of the widened track Leman russ and am thinking of using it to represent my command russ. Think it will also work well with the lengthened Vanq barrel

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Guard/Pask%20Russ/DSC_5916.jpg