PDA

View Full Version : (why) Do GW hate NURGLE?!

jack da greenskin
09-01-2011, 10:24
Interesting one, IMO. I am thinking about doing a nurgle CSM army, which is a bad idea given the current dex but thats not important here. I have noticed quite a few things that make me think GW hate nurgle especially, and chaos in general. Reasons:

1) All the other chaos gods have plastic lesser daemons. (Tzeentch only in second wave, but still.) What would cost you £15 for khorne costs £32 in nurgle.

2) All the other lesser daemon kits look really good. (Tzeentch ones dont look as cool as the metals, IMO, but they still look cool.) The nurgle ones have some elements of coolness, but nowhere near as nice as say, Daemonettes, or the khorne ones.

3) poor one, but fantasy 8th sort of nerfed plaguebearers, and every army is getting FNP now.

4) Plaguebearers, 7 for £20. I know 7 is the number of nurgle and all that, but khorne beserkers get 12 for the same price.

5) The august '10 daemon prince kits dont have anything in that scream nurgle. They do khorne, and to an extent slannesh and tzeentch.

Why? I struggle to think why. The only thing I came up with is:
Nurgle is an army that begs for GS work, and customisability. This attracts veterans and experienced hobbyists over kids, and they want to be selling to kids.

Am I being a bit funny? GW isnt supporting CSM in general, really. But I find it slightly worrying that they can get away with 3 lesser daemon kits and 2 metal boxes.

DISCUSS.

Chaos and Evil
09-01-2011, 10:26
Interesting one, IMO. I am thinking about doing a nurgle CSM army
Then you should ask this question in the Warhammer 40k sub forum.

Earthbeard
09-01-2011, 10:32
If a typical Nurgle fan is like me, they'll buy them even if they're made of platinum :P

Of course that doesn't stop my dreams of plastic Nurgle daemons and other items.

Lord Damocles
09-01-2011, 10:36
1) All the other chaos gods have plastic lesser daemons. (Tzeentch only in second wave, but still.) What would cost you £15 for khorne costs £32 in nurgle.
Meh. So GW hate Dark Reapers?

2) All the other lesser daemon kits look really good. (Tzeentch ones dont look as cool as the metals, IMO, but they still look cool.) The nurgle ones have some elements of coolness, but nowhere near as nice as say, Daemonettes, or the khorne ones.
Subjective opinion is subjective.

3) poor one, but fantasy 8th sort of nerfed plaguebearers, and every army is getting FNP now.
40K =/= Fantasy. So what if most of the current style of 40K codeces have had access to FNP? You don't need super special unique rules for everyhting.

4) Plaguebearers, 7 for £20. I know 7 is the number of nurgle and all that, but khorne beserkers get 12 for the same price.
I assume you mean Plague Marines. Metal hybrid kits are metal.

5) The august '10 daemon prince kits dont have anything in that scream nurgle. They do khorne, and to an extent slannesh and tzeentch.
Nurgle has a Daemon Prince model all of its own.

GW hate nurgle especially, and chaos in general
Oh please. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.
Chaos gets VASTLY more support than most Xenos races (and some Imperial factions).

AlexHolker
09-01-2011, 11:14
The Daemonettes are not "nice". They and the Horrors are a massive step backwards from the previous iteration, which were the only ones that actually looked decent, IMO.

eldargal
09-01-2011, 11:16
Nurgle gave Games Workshops sister syphilis, that's why.

Shipmonkey
09-01-2011, 11:23
The Daemonettes are not "nice". They and the Horrors are a massive step backwards from the previous iteration, which were the only ones that actually looked decent, IMO.

Well, in the case of Daemonettes, they were a massive step back to a previous iteration. Deamonettes existed before Diaz put boobies on them.

jack da greenskin
09-01-2011, 11:31
Then you should ask this question in the Warhammer 40k sub forum.

I considered it but seeing as you can use the daemon models in both, I figured this would be the best place.

Subjective opinion is subjective.

True, but how many people would rather old metal sculpts than a new plastic kit?

I assume you mean Plague Marines. Metal hybrid kits are metal.

Sorry, yes, plague marines. I know they are a metal and plastic kit, but would it have been a bad business move to make a full multipart kit?

Nurgle has a Daemon Prince model all of its own.

Again, I'd rather a kit. The daemon prince has a model all of its own, that looks blindingly similar to the GW suggested way of making the plastic kit.

Oh please. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.
Chaos gets VASTLY more support than most Xenos races (and some Imperial factions).
Vastly? DE up until now, but currently, necrons is the only race that seems to get less than chaos. Eldar and Tau are sort of on par, all having had a 4ed codex, and models than need updating.

So maybe I am being a bit OTT about the nurgle thing. meh. I think they need to be supported better.

AlexHolker
09-01-2011, 11:46
True, but how many people would rather old metal sculpts than a new plastic kit?
When the new plastic kit looks like the Daemonettes, Horrors or Daemon Prince? I'd rather have expensive, metal but good looking models than no good looking models at all. At least that way the possibility exists that they'll be converted to plastic in the future by someone who won't screw it up.

Sgt John Keel
09-01-2011, 11:50
Well, in the case of Daemonettes, they were a massive step back to a previous iteration. Deamonettes existed before Diaz put boobies on them.

Yes; a step back rather implies returning to somewhere you were before. As for the breasts, I doubt much anyone would change their opinion of the current plastics even if they had decided to sculpt nipples all over them.

Anyway, on topic. Due to still having the sixth edition metal lesser Dæmons, Nurgle is the only god that has a decent looking troop unit and the plastic Dæmonprince looks nowhere near as good as the older Dæmonprince kits, so no loss there. Also, Nurgle/Death Guard has significant support from Forge World.

jullevi
09-01-2011, 12:08
Out of the four Chaos Gods, it was Tzeentch that used to be shafted. They didn't receive a single new miniature between 2002 Hordes of Chaos and 2010 Daemons second wave (unless you count the very limited release Lord on Disc). During that time period, there was at least four major Chaos armybook or codex revisions. All of them have featured new Khorne and Nurgle models, and most had Slaanesh as well.

Luckily for us, Forgeworld loves Khorne and Nurgle. While they don't offer much for Fantasy player (yet!), the models they have for 40k Nurgle players are outstanding.

I am going to ignore rules discussion, as I have not played 40k for years and I have yet to fully explore 8th edition yet. But from what I have gathered, my all-Nurgle Daemonic Legion is no longer as onesided and overpowered as it used to be, perhaps rightly so.

About lack of plastics. I would love to see what GW would come up with regarding plastic Plaguebearers, but I can live without them. Metal rank and file models are so much easier to assemble than plastics it's not even funny, and once you discover 2nd hand market you realise that they aren't too expensive either. I quit paying retail price for metal models once they exceeded £18 for 10 models about five years ago and after that my metal model collection has at least tripled in size. Meanwhile, I could have bought plastics at retail price and end up with less and inferior models.

jack da greenskin
09-01-2011, 12:21
When the new plastic kit looks like the Daemonettes, Horrors or Daemon Prince? I'd rather have expensive, metal but good looking models than no good looking models at all. At least that way the possibility exists that they'll be converted to plastic in the future by someone who won't screw it up.

I find plastic easier to work with and nicer to convert. The metal nurgle prince is nice, but I'd rather have a plastic one with a few nurgle bits in and make it my own.

Out of the four Chaos Gods, it was Tzeentch that used to be shafted. They didn't receive a single new miniature between 2002 Hordes of Chaos and 2010 Daemons second wave (unless you count the very limited release Lord on Disc). During that time period, there was at least four major Chaos armybook or codex revisions. All of them have featured new Khorne and Nurgle models, and most had Slaanesh as well.

Luckily for us, Forgeworld loves Khorne and Nurgle. While they don't offer much for Fantasy player (yet!), the models they have for 40k Nurgle players are outstanding.

About lack of plastics. I would love to see what GW would come up with regarding plastic Plaguebearers, but I can live without them. Metal rank and file models are so much easier to assemble than plastics it's not even funny, and once you discover 2nd hand market you realise that they aren't too expensive either. I quit paying retail price for metal models once they exceeded £18 for 10 models about five years ago and after that my metal model collection has at least tripled in size. Meanwhile, I could have bought plastics at retail price and end up with less and inferior models.

I'd rather plastic rank-and-file, personally. Cheaper, especially when I like to have a big force of models on the table. Hybrid kits take a lot of effort to make, which I'm not against, but I find them much more fragile than metal or plastic. I'm not against metal rank and file, mind. I'm currently making a praetorian guard army.

Plaguebearers arent even cheap on the secondary markets. Because of GWs prices, the prices are driven up by people who are wanting them cheaper, exactly the same as second hand codices.

I dont like the poses of the metal plaguebearers, and metal would make it hard to change that. I dont think you can drastically change the look of the bearers either, so new plastics wont look drastically different (ala Tzeentch horrors)

scarletsquig
09-01-2011, 19:28
You don't need models for nurgle, just green stuff a bunch of blobby fat and boils on to normal models to nurgalise them.

If you're looking for alternative models, heresy miniatures do some excellent plaguebearer alternatives, with a command option for them too: http://www.heresyminiatures.com/hv043.htm

Or you could use mantic zombies/ghouls for a much cheaper, but still nurgley-looking style, or just use them for conversion parts.

Also, warhammer forge is about to release an absolute ton of nurgle models, you might find something useful there.

Mannimarco
10-01-2011, 03:06
So to answer the question "why do GW hate Nurgle" the answer is they dont.

We might not have plastic plague bearers but we are still very well supported in other areas:

FW do a plague marine and terminator conversion kit, the only other god which has this is Khorne

FW have released 2 Nurgle daemon engines, 1 for Khorne and none for the other 2 gods

FW have released a daemon prince and herald (Mamon), Khorne has this, the others do not

During the Medusa world wide campaign GW released a Nurgle daemon prince, although he is metal he is the only god which has its own unique prince (not counting FWs Khornate one Uraka, he came much much later).

So we dont get plastic plague bearers but we still get a lot more than the other gods

checkmorale
10-01-2011, 04:13
Good topic, and I think the reason is that Nurgle is made for conversions.

1) Good point, and I think GW will redress this before too long. In the meantime, go without, and focus on the troops that -do- have plastics.

2) All Nurgle looks awesome, it just needs some work first. And yes, I'm aware that paying for the FW upggrade kit is lame.

Try getting hold of some Zombie heads, some misc Chaos bits from ebay, and go to town on your models. It'll soo sort itself out.

Korraz
10-01-2011, 11:15
Oh god, GW hating chaos, I spent five minutes laughing. Thank you very much.

Born Again
10-01-2011, 11:46
If you have the cash, I recommend FW's Death Guard conversion kit. I used them for my Plague Marine squad and they're just lovely models. Of course, I was only doing one squad and not a whole army, which would get expensive quick. They are, IMO, the perfect representation of Plague Marines though. In a perfect world GW would convert them to a regular plastic sprue with some Nurgle-d up legs and arms and sell them at plastic prices. But Thousand Sons and Noise Marines are in the same hybrid boat, so you can't really single out Nurgle.

As far as the daemon kits go, I have been wanting to do a daemons army for some time but, knowing it will be largely Nurgle, refuse to do so until I get plastic Plaguebearers. It would just be too expensive otherwise, and painting that much metal doesn't appeal at all. If they do plastic PB, I'm in. Give me a Ku'Gath model, and I'll likely drop everything (including my bank balance) to start it.

Zweischneid
10-01-2011, 12:09

I disagree on the Horrors.

The old horrors look funky close-up on CMON, but at arms lenght, on a gaming table, they look like a random molten piece of junk... and fall apart constantly too.

The new horrors are vastly superiour as a gaming-piece on the table.

sigur
10-01-2011, 14:06
Interesting one, IMO. I am thinking about doing a nurgle CSM army, which is a bad idea given the current dex but thats not important here. I have noticed quite a few things that make me think GW hate nurgle especially, and chaos in general. Reasons:

Why? I struggle to think why. The only thing I came up with is:
Nurgle is an army that begs for GS work, and customisability. This attracts veterans and experienced hobbyists over kids, and they want to be selling to kids.

Am I being a bit funny? GW isnt supporting CSM in general, really. But I find it slightly worrying that they can get away with 3 lesser daemon kits and 2 metal boxes.

DISCUSS.

.) Complaining about metal isn't a good idea. You'll get your plastic toys soon enough, just wait. Seriously, what's it with people feeling insulted over having to deal with metal miniatures and this general idea that they "deserve" a plastic kit (or a dedicated miniature box at all) for everything?

.) Nurgle armies in no way attract "experienced hobbyists over kids". Weird conclusion on your side.

About your questions:

1.) - 4.) So you feel insulted about Plaguebearers, eh? You're not forced to use them if you don't like their looks, the price or the rules (the latter in a different game nonetheless).
5.) You do know that GW released (for what reasons ever) a special Nurgle Deamon Prince kit, right?

Basically, you complain about the rules and miniatures of Nurgle miniatures and CSM in general. Did you decide it would be the best idea to start complaining about your army right before you start collecting it? It's not am imperative thing to do to be a CSM player, you know.

eyescrossed
10-01-2011, 14:07
Zweischneid: They're also vastly superior in looking ugly (in a bad way).

loveless
10-01-2011, 14:11
I feel I should go start the counter-thread "Why does Forgeworld hate Slaanesh and Tzeentch?"

Seriously, who cares? Nurgle has a ton of options with some of the best-looking models in their respective ranges (Typhus, especially, is one that just seems to get more epic with age).

Zweischneid
10-01-2011, 14:13
Zweischneid: They're also vastly superior in looking ugly (in a bad way).

Subjective opinion is subjective, as people tend to say around here...

Whitehorn
10-01-2011, 14:20
You don't need models for nurgle, just green stuff a bunch of blobby fat and boils on to normal models to nurgalise them.

Or the exact opposite and put the image of death into them.

Legion of the Damned, Vampire Counts skeletons, Mantic Zombies, all combined make you some excellent conversions.

Thanatos_elNyx
10-01-2011, 14:45
Really?

Tzeentch has traditionally been the least supported Chaos God.

Godzooky
10-01-2011, 14:56
Really?

Tzeentch has traditionally been the least supported Chaos God.

I'm sure that's all part of his plan.

Alaitoc
10-01-2011, 15:22
Isn't Forgeworld part of GW?

Doesn't FW have AWESOME looking death guard?

Nuff said...

DuskRaider
10-01-2011, 16:04
Uh... what? Nurgle is second only to Khorne in support from GW and / or FW. FW especially seems keen on him (only thing I can complain about is the lack of brass icons), you've got the entire Renegade Militia which is modeled to have a Nurgle feel, their TWO Dreadnoughts, the Death Guard kits, Plague Ogryn, Sorcerer, Blight Drones, Plague Hulks, Great Unclean One, all of the Death Guard vehicle upgrades... and the first Warhammer Forge project focuses on Nurgle, where most of THOSE pieces can fit just as easily into a 40K Death Guard and / or Daemons army! Open them eyes, buddy.

Ravenous
10-01-2011, 16:07
If a typical Nurgle fan is like me, they'll buy them even if they're made of platinum :P

Of course that doesn't stop my dreams of plastic Nurgle daemons and other items.

Exactly, coolness does not have a price tag. When you want to do something right cost means nothing.

eyescrossed
10-01-2011, 16:19
Subjective opinion is subjective, as people tend to say around here...

Yet yours isn't? :rolleyes:

TimLeeson
10-01-2011, 16:20

I agree here, I wish they still sold them, even if they were more expensive and dumped in the "Collectors" page...

Sgt John Keel
10-01-2011, 16:27
I agree here, I wish they still sold them, even if they were more expensive and dumped in the "Collectors" page...

Hopefully some clever fellow inducts them (and the Seekers) into the Hall of Fame.

I was rather perplexed that they didn't sell all the miniatures in the HoF, but then they (re)released the Cadian Officer and Gui le Gros so I think there's hope.

Hicks
10-01-2011, 16:38

Well, Nurgle CSM is one of the most powerfull builds, but it is kinda boring to play sadly.

Lesser daemons don't need to be Plaguebearers, you can use pretty much anything you want to represent them. Lots of people convert plastic Dryads into deamons for exemple.

I share your opinion on the quality of the Plaguebearers sculpts, but I am much more bothered by the terrible new Plague Marines and those should form the core of your force.

I don't really see this as a problem as much as every army getting stuff that kills PMs easily at an ever lesser cost and in ever greater numbers. :(

Metals are always more expensive than plastics, it's not just Nurgle that suffers from this.

I guess, but we do have an excellent metal deamon prince and even the normal ones can easily be converter to the plague father.

3) Why? I struggle to think why. The only thing I came up with is:

DISCUSS.

Nurgle units are easily converted and cost tons of points, so it's really not an army that costs too much and it's one of the easiest to convert and paint in a small amount of time.

The real drawback IMO is as I said before, they can be a bit boring to play.

Mit Gas
10-01-2011, 18:02
Nurgle and Khorne are the preferred ones actually! Just look at FW. If you're a Tzeentch player, you can wait half an eternity for FW stuff. And Nurgle got his very OWN Daemon prince. That's gotta count for something.

The new plague marines and daemons for Nurgle suck but you got FW. Those guys rock. And waiting for Plaguebearers isn't that hard now, is it?

ilikebmxbikes
10-01-2011, 18:28
from reading your comments it really sounds like you should Rename this thread to "Why Do I Hate Nurgle."

In all seriousness,

nurgle is a great army to make. I dont necessarily feel you need to be an experienced modeler to do them. Infact, I believe it the opposite. Nurgle are fairly easy to paint and I have seen many sloppy nurgle armies that just look good because they are supposed to look nasty. There is plenty of room to develop your green stuff skills on them, and like painting them, nothing has to be perfect with them and their are some amazing Nurgle forgeworld kits if you dont want to convert to much. Rhino and land raider doors, two great dreadnaughts, terminator upgrade kit, infantry upgrade kit and an amazing greater deamon.

Sure GW hasnt updated the Plagebearer plastics yet, but their pewter figures are great. I would go for it.

Plague marines are also really good in game.

Korraz
10-01-2011, 19:08
Yet yours isn't? :rolleyes:

Without taking sides...That the new Daemonettes have more details, are of better quality, are better technical sculpts and are easier to convert is an objective fact.
Aesthetic appeal is purely subejctive.

Alessander
10-01-2011, 20:02
Bah, Nurgle gets more attention by GW than any other chaos god:

40K has the only Chaos-god Specific Daemon Prince, for Nurgle.
Mordheim has a Nurgle-themed warband, there is no Khorne/Slaanesh/Tzeentch themed warband
BFG has a models for a Nurgle fleet, there is no Khorne/Slaanesh/Tzeentch fleet beyond generic chaos.
Blood Bowl has models for a Nurgle team, there is no Khorne/Slaanesh/Tzeentch variant
Warhammer Forge is making their first set of Chaos models... be Nurgle. The title character of their 4-book series is a champion of Nurgle.
Forgeworld made the Death Guard dread as the very first of the FW dreads.

Even when Plaguebearers already had a metal command squad, GW pumped out a new command squad just for Plaguebearers.

Ominous Anonymous
10-01-2011, 20:03
1) Buy Vampire Counts zombies and use them as Counts-As Plaguebearers/Lesser Daemons
2)?????
3) Profit!

Gatsby
10-01-2011, 21:59
my head hurts..... ow... OW...

gw...hate...nurgle? is that why they get all the broken rules? is that why they get forgeworld EVERYTHING? is that why they get a specific daemon prince? really? gw HATE nurgle?

DuskRaider
10-01-2011, 23:54
my head hurts..... ow... OW...

gw...hate...nurgle? is that why they get all the broken rules? is that why they get forgeworld EVERYTHING? is that why they get a specific daemon prince? really? gw HATE nurgle?

BROKEN rules? You're smokin' something...

Mannimarco
11-01-2011, 01:56
FNP and blight grenades are the epitome of brokeness doncha know, thats why every time a discussion about broken things comes up everybody asks "yeah but is it as broken as a plague marine?" ;)

eyescrossed
11-01-2011, 03:16
Without taking sides...That the new Daemonettes have more details, are of better quality, are better technical sculpts and are easier to convert is an objective fact.
Aesthetic appeal is purely subejctive.

I was actually talking about the Horrors exclusively. There's no need to convert them, they actually look better than the new models (subjective opinion) and fit the fluff more. The new ones look like malformed monkeys on steroids, not blobs of shapeless flesh where a mouth or arm will sprout at any moment.

The Inevitable One
11-01-2011, 03:40
A year ago I asked the question of as to why Games Workshop was redoing a fair amount of its Chaos Daemons line, yet not the Nurgle Plaguebearers. The manager replied with something along the lines of; 'because Games Workshop knows that even if they did not make them in plastic, they still would sell more than some of the other Daemon 'Troop Choices'".

Thanatos_elNyx
11-01-2011, 08:12
FNP and blight grenades are the epitome of brokeness doncha know, thats why every time a discussion about broken things comes up everybody asks "yeah but is it as broken as a plague marine?" ;)

In our groups its "Yeah, but is it as broken as Blood Angels/Space Wolves"

Mannimarco
11-01-2011, 14:21
hence the winking smiley

I was trying to point out in a humorous way that PMs (and Nurgle in general) arnt broken going by the fact we never hear any whining about broken Nurgle stuff.

DuskRaider
11-01-2011, 16:30
hence the winking smiley

I was trying to point out in a humorous way that PMs (and Nurgle in general) arnt broken going by the fact we never hear any whining about broken Nurgle stuff.

We USED to hear whining all of the time about how broken PMs were... but since the new codices have come along and made at least one Troop Choice the equivalent of a PM (albeit with better Initiative most of the time), people have hushed up.

Tae
18-01-2011, 19:23
Try looking at Forgeworld, they positively love Nurgle.

As opposed to Slaanesh and Tzeentch who, apart from a hugely expensive (and hugely massive!) Greater Daemon get absolutely sweet bugger all.

Oakwolf
18-01-2011, 20:34
I'd agree.

As for demons...Nurgle still got the pole position when it comes to troops. Plaguebearers are almost unilaterally used by "competitive" people because all others troops are subpar in resilience (objective holding).

Nurgle is also the only god which has an (small as it may be) incentive to play mono-god armies, with the tally from Epidemius.

Also...having models is great, but having ugly models is not better than none.

*looks at Fiends* :wtf:

*looks at new Demonettes* :shifty: (hurray for Diazinettes)

Ozendorph
18-01-2011, 21:22
I'd say if anything GW seems to love Grandpa Nurgle and all his offspring. Plaguebearers, Nurglings, and Nurgle Princes all make appearances in competitive Daemon armies. I use a Great Unclean One and he's amazing as the anchor of my offense - too tough to kill, too dangerous to ignore.

No, no Nurgle plastics currently, but the metals are good sculpts (imo) and the FW support has been excellent.

TimLeeson
18-01-2011, 21:50
I was actually talking about the Horrors exclusively. There's no need to convert them, they actually look better than the new models (subjective opinion) and fit the fluff more. The new ones look like malformed monkeys on steroids, not blobs of shapeless flesh where a mouth or arm will sprout at any moment.

The previous metal ones were probably the best looking demons with that Carpenters The Thing/HP Lovecraft style, and actually looked chaotic (shock horror!) - a crying shame they replaced them with those conventional and ordered looking cartoon ones. Should of just made a metal command group instead (with the banners and instruments being part of their bodies rather than seperate objects like the new ones). but I think thats probably too much creativity for GW.