PDA

View Full Version : Are Chaos Daemons a fun army to play *against*?

Azulthar
09-01-2011, 15:42
I'm thinking about starting daemons, but I fear the army is a bit boring to play against. What are your experiences with fighting daemons? Are they as fun as the other armies out there, or would you prefer fighting "normal" armies?

Assume all other things are equal...of course your opponent and his list are more important factors, but that's not what this topic is about.

PapaDoc
09-01-2011, 16:49
Chaos deamons are hilarious. You can practicly bet that every game won't be the same. They also have very little special rules except from USR and are an "honest" army. They are hard in assault and do little shooting. When you shoot them they die.

I really enjoy playing against them.

The Laughing God
09-01-2011, 17:07
They're fun to play and play against. Their randomness makes for some funny and epic situations.

bigcheese76
09-01-2011, 17:12
They really are a different army to play against. Your usual deployment tactics go out the window and you have to be ready for them to appear anywhere.

DJ3
09-01-2011, 18:47
Even if you play the hardest Daemon armies physically possible, I can guarantee your opponent will still have fun 1/3rd of the time when we get Daemonic Assault flipped.

(until about Turn 4, at least)

bluemage
10-01-2011, 01:30
I've enjoyed all the games I've played against demons so far.

Jackmojo
10-01-2011, 09:27
They really are a different army to play against. Your usual deployment tactics go out the window and you have to be ready for them to appear anywhere.

This right here is the cornerstone, so long as I'm feeling like being innovative they're fun (so 90% of the time for me) but if I want a 'normal' game of 40k they're not really set up to deliver it, either playing with or against.

Daemons are almost like Planetstrike or Cities of Death, fun, but not necessarily the same fun as one expects from a normal game of 40k.

Jack

Bathawk
10-01-2011, 09:50
I have a mostly complete daemons army, haven't had much of a chance to use them though

My motivation is in building a daemon army, I'm also investing in a WHFB army as well

Lord Khabal
10-01-2011, 10:03
Daemons are very random, which lead to very wacky games. I like to play with and against them

I just dont like it when my bloodcrusher unit that costs 300+ pts appears inside a rock or tree... :(

Erwos
10-01-2011, 13:09
My primary objection to daemons is that they're a bit TOO dependent on scatter rolls and terrain. If your opponent has an excellent list and doesn't blow the scatter rolls, there's very little you can do to recover. Similarly, too little terrain can sometimes hand CDs an IG-like advantage in power, since they'll be able to avoid those teleporting mishaps.

kungpung
10-01-2011, 13:14
What makes a game fun is the armycomposition and the player playing the armies. A list with a variety of things are always more fun to play against and not a force where you only rely on good dice rolling to win the battle.

Deamons is really not the strongest codex out there, but it have some metagame impacts;
First off it made Chaos space marines into regular marines = boring.
second, it bugs up the game if the opponent has the first turn. Even if the game works, its more like a special scenario rather than a 40k battle. It feels like a situation that was never intended. There is also some bugs with force weapons not working etc..
Third; The almost complete lack of shooting weapons make the game into a one sided battle, the opponent manuvering to avoid charges and the deamon player trying to mass the objective to win.

The deamon army lacks the variety, and in the end it comes up to how good the deepstrike where and how well those charges where denied.