PDA

View Full Version : What would cause you to...

Sinnertje
10-01-2011, 07:39
...stop playing Warhammer (40k) altogether?
Maybe your favorite army gets smashed into the ground.
Maybe the prices have gone too high.
Maybe they removed your favorite army from the game altogether.

It doesn't matter how unlikely it is to actually happen, but what would cause you to say "and now i am going to STOP playing this game"?

For me personally it would most likely be if the prices would go up, especially for the core units.

Bloodknight
10-01-2011, 07:40
Option c). Killing off the Dogs of War with 8th edition meant I stopped playing WFB.

Ultimate Life Form
10-01-2011, 09:06
Well, high prices, as it appears, won't stop me from playing as I already have most of the stuff I need (and a ton I don't), so the annual price rise doesn't really bother me anymore. It might, and in fact does already, prevent me from buying new stuff (starting 3+ new armies), so that's GW's loss which however doesn't really faze me.

To stop me playing, well, if they really screw up my army ('do the Beastman') or even drop it entirely (like Bloodknight's DoW), that would really disgruntle me, and as soon as the rules no longer viable due to power creep / edition shift then that would mean my models will henceforth solely serve decorative purposes (modelling/painting is more important to me than pplaying anyway).

MasterSparks
10-01-2011, 10:07
I don't know what happened in my case, really. I was a fan of 7th edition and the rumours of what the new edition was bringing had my hopes up high. Unfortunately I found out that, after half a dozen games and then some more, the changes made to the rules was not in a direction that I enjoyed. I went back to the older edition again - only to find out that I'm now finding it hard to appreciate that game as well. It is as if my disenchantment drove a spike through to the very foundation of my investment in the game and shattered it. Now I trawl through forums to keep myself in the loop even though I'm unlikely to ever put it to use practically, like a tragic ghost whose lingering emotional attachment to Warhammer won't let him rest peacefully. :cries:

To be completely truthful though, I've long had a sneaking suspicion that I was starting to grow apart from the game. The latest transition merely cemented it. The hobby and background aspects are altogether different though - I'm still hoping that one day, someday I will have a fully done miniature army, complete with background and everything. And it's not like there isn't other miniature war games where I could put my figures to use. I guess my entire situation isn't all that bad when it comes down to it. :angel:

sigur
10-01-2011, 10:40
Weirdly enough - hardly anything really. I stopped for 10 months once but then Codex Witch Hunters came long with these fabulous miniatures and artwork and I was back. As long as there's people who are fun to play with, I guess I'll be in this thing. There might be some game that will steal most time I'd otherwise used on Warhammer/40k but I don't think I'll stop within the forseeable future. Prices

Then again, I never *played* too much (2010 being a historical high point since early 3rd edition 40k with I think three or four games of 40k; trying to top that in 2011).

The bearded one
10-01-2011, 11:35
GW removing all the beards from the dwarf mini's.

I guess if they removed dwarfs or nerfed them into ridiculous oblivion I'd be shocked, but I still have other armies and dwarfs are a core army to the setting. I've got quite a lot of what I need anyway so, like ULF said, the price rises do not hurt me that much.

Wyrmnax
10-01-2011, 11:41

Both A and B
Or C

I have almost everything i need from my armies already, my yearly buy is very small. Especially with the prices hiking, my latest GW model is almost a year old. I can however still change around my armies a lot.

If both my armies got smashed to the ground to the point that i needed a new army to be "competitive" well.... id probably not be competitive. And would last with sub-par armies as long as my interest lasted.

If both of my armies got dropped, then i guess that would be a stopping point for me. I dont want to spend the amount of money i would have to start a new army.

Also, i play HE and WoC. I doubt both armies would be dropped / left in the gutter unless Warhammer was dying. They are just too popular.

Taking it all in consideration, i think the only thing that would stop me from playing completely is loosing interest.

Urgat
10-01-2011, 14:00
Option c). Killing off the Dogs of War with 8th edition meant I stopped playing WFB.

What's different compared to 7th ed for them?

Bloodknight
10-01-2011, 14:21
No errata.
People (i.e. the tournament circuit, which is what I was interested about) dropped the army like hot potatos and it isn't allowed at any bigger tourney here anymore. There are lots of issues with units that pay from more than one budget (i.e. Hero and Rare) and nobody knows how to handle it.

Kal Taron
10-01-2011, 14:51
8th edition. Well at least until I have the time to make a 7.5th edition with some friends.

BorderKing
10-01-2011, 15:36
I stopped playing 40k when they didn't FAQ DOW, and although I'm playing ogres now, I've lost alot of the enthusiasm I had for the game. I reckon that if GW doesn't do a good army book for the OK I'll stop playing altogether.

Torpedo Vegas
10-01-2011, 15:42
It would take some pretty severe changes in the rules. I have most of the stuff I need for multiple armies, so unless there was a complete overhaul of everything, I doubt I will stop playing, real life obligations take precedence, of course.

bluemage
10-01-2011, 16:45
Well 8th got me to stop playing warhammer. Tried several games, and I won't be playing it until my armies get updated and become competative again. I hate the idea of being dependant on my opponent bringing a weak list in order for the game to be competative.

The bearded one
10-01-2011, 17:11
Well 8th got me to stop playing warhammer. Tried several games, and I won't be playing it until my armies get updated and become competative again. I hate the idea of being dependant on my opponent bringing a weak list in order for the game to be competative.

which armies are you playing? One of the unfortunates called tomb kings and wood elves?

WarmbloodedLizard
10-01-2011, 17:36
probabaly sometime after GW completely steps over the theshold into the land of bad design. (I'm hoping that there will soon (2-3 years) be a 9th edition/serious errata that straightens out the problems 8th has.)

edit: bad design = lack of AB internal balance, lack of inter-army balance, too much randomness combined with too many big effects (some call it 'making the objective of the game to have "fun" instead of winning')

another reason would probably be external, like no more people around to play, or no more time because of work/family, nuclear winter, etc.

TMATK
10-01-2011, 17:51
If they ever split up O&G to 2 books, turning my nearly complete army into 2 useless ones. I know I'm pretty safe for now, but I also know they've done that type of thing before.

Morkash
10-01-2011, 18:03
Being someone who does not play much, the drop of the Dogs of War is still hard to swallow, but not as much as actively playing them, I think. The "Ignore all references to Dogs of War" in the OK Errata was nevertheless a strike directly aimed at the heart.
I suppose if the O&G book gets screwed up, I will drop out of the gaming part. As a few others here I am fortunate that I have so many miniatures, some necessary, most not, that buying new ones is rather rare, I prefer trading something for something else. Miniatures needing paint I have more than enough for years to come... :)

Hjiryon
10-01-2011, 18:06
I won't stop playing, but I'll stop being a source of income for GW when:

1: I find better models than GWs - I'm playing wood elves, so for a good part of that range, that's still not the case (actually, make that "in the case of core units, wild riders and wardancers, that's still not the case - everything else I have is non-GW models).

2: I find a better game to focus on - Wait, that already happened. I mostly play WM/H nowadays.

3: My local group of players stop playing WHFB altogether (it's pretty close nowadays, courtesy of WM/H and Infinity).

Spider-pope
10-01-2011, 18:14
Death. *grumble*stupid 10 character limit *grumble*

hashrat
10-01-2011, 19:10
40K died when 3rd came out.
Too much was lost, tanks (addressed slightly in 4th) psychic phase, grenades, guess range, wargear.
I dabbled in 4th, but it is dead to me, if i play again it will be 4th, I won't buy 5th.

WFB died for years when within a month of buying the entire Warhammer siege and Dogs of war range they dropped both.

I got back into WFB for 8th and love it.
Reading 40k 5th put me off even more sadly.

So robbing me or tearing half the core rules out of a fine game system does put me off.

someone2040
10-01-2011, 22:43
Price I guess.
I love the hobby, there'd have to be some pretty drastic changes to drive me away from it for good. While I have no issues with price at the moment (Well, they are outrageously high, but I can afford it living at home), it could change in the future that I need more money and can't spend as much on hobby.
Even then, I'd still have my existing armies. So it'd probably take something like, can't afford the hobby and my stuff being broken/stolen/etc for me to quit the hobby.

Lewis
10-01-2011, 22:50
the day I tried Warmachine and then tried playing 40k again afterwards.

This has already happened.

Geep
11-01-2011, 02:32
The only thing I can honestly see stopping me is if I had no one to play against. I'd probably still paint the occassional model here and there, but it'd be hard to keep up the enthusiasm.

I have enough armies (and varied armies in different games systems) that it's almost impossible to completely stuff up all things I play (although on the other hand I can usually guarantee at least one of the armies I play is in the dog house).

Price rises I get around by almost never buying from GW. The price of models in Australia compared to the rest of the world is just... wrong.

Brother Alexos
11-01-2011, 04:26
I will only stop playing Warhammer and 40K when GW finally realises that I have plans to make a Chaos army that all their units make complete sense in an organised manor, and have to send a retired KGB officer to kill me with a lemon cupcake and three hundred gallons of Organic Frosting.

Demrog
11-01-2011, 09:19
The only reason I'd stop playing is if for some reason both my armies were lost as I just couldnt afford to replace them :(

Lord of Divine Slaughter
11-01-2011, 09:39
Growing up stopped me playing 40K.

With three and a half armies for fantasy, I probably won't do a lot of buying for a long time, as I have all the minis I need, and have enough models awaiting paint.

I like the game, but I'm actually about to stop playing it ... by the book. 8th was a great fix after the travesty of 7th., but there are a lot of incompatibility with the 6th and 7th ed. armies transfer into 8th. So to make for better games, you need to make up some house rules. Also 8th is all about playing and not just gaming, so you need to screw with the rules, relax and just have fun. With this spirit I doubt, I'll leave Warhammer behind, it has seen a slow decline in the number of games I play, but that only serves to make the rest more memorable :)

TheLionReturns
11-01-2011, 10:16
Well back when I was at school I stopped playing and stayed retired from the hobby for 10 years. They had just updated the core rules and suddenly I was faced with the prospect of buying a new ruleset and new army books. Teenagers have a lot of distractions other than wargaming and other things/people to spend their limited money on. Quite simply it felt like GW were trying to rip me off by getting me to buy what I had already paid for, and it was very easy to be drawn towards those other distractions.

I have since made my peace with this constant updating of the rules. What is restraining my playing now is the price. My Wood Elves are in stasis at the moment. I have always liked warhawk riders but I do not consider them value for money. With 8th edition I need treekin, these also do not represent value for money for me. My playing is linked to my purchases. Whilst I have usable armies, the focus of the hobby for me is the collecting and painting. Playing is just something I do that goes along with this. I find that if I don't collect and paint, I lack the motivation to play.

At the moment I am rekindling my interest in skirmish games. The fewer models makes them cheaper to collect for, and also allows me to spend more time painting each model. The good thing now, as opposed to when I was at school, is there are so many alternatives to GW so I don't have to give up wargaming completely. Spartan Games' various games are interesting me as is mantic games' Kings of War.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2011, 10:29
...stop playing Warhammer (40k) altogether?

It doesn't matter how unlikely it is to actually happen, but what would cause you to say "and now i am going to STOP playing this game"?

For me personally it would most likely be if the prices would go up, especially for the core units.

I'm not sure what you mean really, rising prices would never stop me playing the game, it would just stop me collecting. I have 3 armies for 40K and 4 for WFB so if GW were to quadruple their prices tomorrow I would just continue playing the game at the current edition with the current army book. If things got that bad I doubt I'd have trouble finding people with the same outlook.

Also by the number of people that still play Chaos Dwarfs with the Ravening Hordes list I'd say your fav army getting squatted wasn't a sure-fire way to get knocked out of the hobby either.

Things that would actually stop me playing warhammer...
Being in a coma - probably
losing both arms in a freak accident - possibly
my wife threatening to divorce me unless i stop... I'll have to give that one some thought ;)

eldargal
11-01-2011, 10:32
Returning to the abomination that was 7th edition with its armies that could have fewer figures than an elite 40k army at the same point level.

Putty
11-01-2011, 11:26
i'm semi-retired to WHFB because of some blatant design mistakes in the new edition.

i like most of the revamped core rules... but its as usual a few things that ruined it for everybody else.

Went back to 40k with a 5th Ed codex... enjoying my stay there.

Haravikk
11-01-2011, 11:47
Going to university heh, just didn't have the time, but of course I've since got straight back into it, except now I have a degree :)

I dunno, GW has an uncanny ability to get lots of things wrong, but somehow lump it in with getting lots of things right, so you can never really expect any of the publications to be just right, and maybe that's on purpose so they always have a reason to make more heh.
You can always count of them to make good models though. I suppose if they were to going to ruin things they'd have to ditch one of my armies, though I don't think any of mine are really in danger of that, as Dwarfs are a staple of Fantasy, and Skaven, Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos are all deliciously unique. And Empire and Bretonnians I'll probably start at some point, Empire is unlikely to go anywhere ever, Bretonnians I don't think they'd drop as there's just something awesome about knights :)

WFB died for years when within a month of buying the entire Warhammer siege and Dogs of war range they dropped both.
You can still buy most of the Dogs of War and all the major stuff for Siege. My brother recently bought the fortress set; 50 is a bargain for it really, and it's dead easy to assemble. 6th edition siege rules still largely apply, and many parts can be simplified by applying some of the new building rules sensibly. So siege isn't exactly dead, and some of the models are still around, and Dogs of War can still be bought even if you just proxy them as whatever you like.
I really do hope Dogs of War isn't completely dead with 8th, I'm hoping Siege and Dogs of War might make a re-appearance as supplements.

bluemage
11-01-2011, 12:16
which armies are you playing? One of the unfortunates called tomb kings and wood elves?

Yeah, both Tomb Kings and Wood Elves :(. I painted up some Orcs and Goblins during the release, but didn't really enjoy the army. I'll try them out again with the new book. Anyways I've started up 40k in the meantime.

bonertron
11-01-2011, 16:49
8th edition is getting me very close to quitting. I have 8 armies, and about 32,000 points worth of models... so I keep hlding on, because it would end up as a huge waste of money. Every 8th edition game I play, I end up hating the new rules more, and end up one step closer to quitting. There is always some stupid grey area, not explained well enough loop hole to make the game dull, or even worse, something that is an OBVIOUS loop hole that should have been caught in play testing. I have my fingers crossed that GW will come up with some sort of 8.5 edition edit.

bert n ernie
11-01-2011, 20:09
Well, I might not quit entirely, but if I was in an area where I knew people who played any other game. Right now if I want a game it has to be 40k or warhammer. It's difficult to introduce new games to people who mostly don't have English as their first language.

I have almost quit 40k entirely. I never play to win, or try to use tactics as I don't see much scope for either with my favoured army (all infantry guard).
I used to play Lost and the Damned and since the list was invalidated I've probably only gotten 5 games of 40k in.
That completely put me off.

Another thing that might make me quit Warhammer Fantasy specifically is if I couldn't go to comped tournaments.

Arliens
12-01-2011, 04:02
I still play warhammer 40k under 2nd edition rules and sometimes Rogue Trader with a certain gaming group. Warhammer Fantasy Battles I still use 6th edition rules. I play just with friends for the most part. Nothing would stop me from playing as I just make the game what I want it to be, although i find myself drawing more into historical gaming.

tezdal
12-01-2011, 04:10
Well I don't buy GW stuff anymore really, but I do game with my Brets....I guess when I run out of folks to play 7Edition with I suppose. GW prices are wayyy to high for me, loving on Historical plastics and GZG stargrunt minis right now.

Note: If they brought out any new stuff for Warmaster or BFG I'd really, really tempted, otherwise meh.

chieftainskritchskritch
12-01-2011, 05:03
I have collected, painted and played with nothing but Skaven for the past 10+ years. I dont own anything else GW-wise. Needless to say, 10+ years devoted to a sole army means that you obtain a lot of minis for that army.

I would only stop playing Warhammer if I lost all of my Skaven mini's in a house fire or something, or if GW sent them the way of the Squats and cut them from the fluff/range entirely. After so long devoted to a single army I just wouldnt have the heart to start again with something new.

Sparowl
12-01-2011, 05:13
8th pretty much has done it. I played quite a bit when it first came out, and have slowly been cutting back, as I find I get angry when some crazy stupid thing happens that completely changed how the game was going, without either person having planned on it. And it seems to happen far more in 8th then it did in 7th, in my experience.

Every month someone convinces me to play a game of 8th, after which I'm reminded why I've more or less stopped.

I'm waiting to see what the army books look like, but I doubt that'll change my opinion about the core system.

Anthony Case
12-01-2011, 09:29
Yeah 8th pretty much did it for us too. I generally prefer to play smaller-ish games but now there's just too many rule incentives to use a few big blocks of units instead of a bunch of sensible sized units, so there's not much variety in our games any more. That and magic pretty much doesn't work at all unless you go with the now 'standard' 3000 point games. Really not sure what to make of the whole "expect a whole different kind of army book" either, probably just a way for them to pimp some legendary battles rules so games get even bigger.

So yeah, I'll still dabble in smaller games from time to time but we've been looking at other games like Kings of War and have been playing around with our rules.

Gromdal
12-01-2011, 09:50
So many angry about the bad stuff GW has done. So many have stopped both here and in our gaming groups.

I stopped playing my dwarfs very early (my favorite army) when it became clear to me that they ran like little schoolgirls if outnumbered by a band of weak gobbos and being attacked in the flank. Also the viable lists were gunlines.

I went over to brets and played them for a long time but finally stopped playing when my need to field the DOORFS were never met.

Now im waiting to see the new dwarf army book and might get a new dwarf army from scratch if its good (even though i have my old army somewhere still). Gimme stubborn lords that confer the status to warriors! Gimme some real cc power and nerf the shooting and I will play.

There is also a chance i pick up my old bret army if their book seems fun when it comes but i want start a new one from scratch then.

cool-kid-on-the-block
12-01-2011, 10:56
so many people seem so angry at 8th ed for some reason (well not some reason, many reasons) but is just going ' *hands up* done!' really neccessary when you have played a game for so long. ive played fantasy for 7ish years and the 8th ed rules are by no means great but it wouldnt stop me playing altogether.

saying this. the gaming aspect of any miniatures hobby seems less and less of a major part of the hobby for me nowadays. it seems more of like a happy byproduct to modeling which inclines me to want to play 40k with its fewer models so i can spend more time on individuals. the only thing that stops me is the lack of 40k players where i am.

if it was anything that stopped me playing wargames in general it would have to be a freak accident like a fire etc. or loosing an arm or something equally horrific.

touch wood it doesnt happen.

hashrat
12-01-2011, 11:12
You can still buy most of the Dogs of War and all the major stuff for Siege. My brother recently bought the fortress set; 50 is a bargain for it really, and it's dead easy to assemble. 6th edition siege rules still largely apply, and many parts can be simplified by applying some of the new building rules sensibly. So siege isn't exactly dead, and some of the models are still around, and Dogs of War can still be bought even if you just proxy them as whatever you like.
I really do hope Dogs of War isn't completely dead with 8th, I'm hoping Siege and Dogs of War might make a re-appearance as supplements.

I just repainted all my pikemen and crossbowmen, aswell as some heroes, so my Empire army grew immensely, and I use the tower(s) for the scenario, scenery.

At the time though it was justification enough to quit.
Even my Slayer pirates ended up being usefull as my Dwarves had none, granted I have to ignore the pistols, but how much are 20 proper Slayers these days? 60?

20 Hammerers and an anvil and their done, Empire now only need some Knights and a Monster and their done too.

At least my DOW proved usefull for something. :)

The bearded one
12-01-2011, 11:42
So many angry about the bad stuff GW has done. So many have stopped both here and in our gaming groups.

I stopped playing my dwarfs very early (my favorite army) when it became clear to me that they ran like little schoolgirls if outnumbered by a band of weak gobbos and being attacked in the flank. Also the viable lists were gunlines.

I went over to brets and played them for a long time but finally stopped playing when my need to field the DOORFS were never met.

Now im waiting to see the new dwarf army book and might get a new dwarf army from scratch if its good (even though i have my old army somewhere still). Gimme stubborn lords that confer the status to warriors! Gimme some real cc power and nerf the shooting and I will play.

There is also a chance i pick up my old bret army if their book seems fun when it comes but i want start a new one from scratch then.

Did you stop dwarfs in 7th, or 8th? Because 8th boosted them beyond imagining. I am going to replace 24 shieldwarriors and thane for a horde unit of 35 great weapon warriors. Those guys slaughter their way through everything, you should try it :) A CC dwarf army is immensely viable now. If you're interested for a sample list with the models you have you can PM me, or alterntively try on bugmansbrewery.com

TMATK
12-01-2011, 16:19
... Gimme stubborn lords that confer the status to warriors!...

You have that now; stubborn characters make the unit stubborn. I'm not sure what you can do out the army book to make the lord stubborn, but I assume he can take the crown of command.

The bearded one
12-01-2011, 19:02
You have that now; stubborn characters make the unit stubborn. I'm not sure what you can do out the army book to make the lord stubborn, but I assume he can take the crown of command.

He can't.

Dwarfs can't take BRB items.

We can make our lord stubborn for a rune costing 100 pts though -.- That's why we just stick them in units of hammerers who are stubborn by themselves.

RanaldLoec
12-01-2011, 20:08
The end of the world.

Might stop me playing but I'm a bit stubborn so is be calling my friend saying

"fancy a game on Monday"

My mate replies

"WTF the worlds ending"

Me

"yeah so its my last chance to squeeze a game in"

Malorian
12-01-2011, 20:47
If anyone paid me $1,000,000 I would quit the hobby in a heart beat :D

Any takers? :shifty:

Jericho
12-01-2011, 22:26
Let's think about this Mal. If you had a million dollars, you could afford to not work for a while. Which means nothing but time on your hands. Do you really think you could avoid GW with a cool million dollars in your bank account and nothing but free time? ;)

Anyway, the two things that threaten my desire to play games is the lowering of standards and in the case of 40k, a general change in style away from what attracted me to the game in the first place (ie. fluff that hasn't been raped by rabid furries and Twilight vampires).

I spend way way way more time painting than gaming right now, it's been that way for a few months. I have no real desire to play with unbuilt/painted armies right now, and the lax standards GW has propogated combined with radical 180 in army list building under 8th means everybody has a pile of half built plastic and empty bases that they are calling an army. The armies that are being painted are way too often just 2-3 basecoats dipped in Devlan Mud. Not terribly inspiring, but hey I'll take this in a heartbeat over bare plastic.

When you spend enough time on your rank and file that you can enter them in Golden Demons like I have in the past (and took home trophies, no less), it sucks seeing this on the tabletop. Simply no fun.

StormCrow
12-01-2011, 22:38
Well if tomb kings were my only army I would have stopped playing by now.

I think for me it would be a lack of support for my chosen armies or an outdated ruleset, which sadly the tomb kings have both of. Another issue that frustrates me is the the needless background changes made to some armies. If I had my time over I wouldn't have bothered collecting Dark Elves as their background has degenerated into a bunch of 'Hills Have Eyes' style freaks who live in the snow listening to the Cure, claiming they're hard and being worse than the High Elves at...EVERYTHING

Eldoriath
13-01-2011, 00:39
Prices would be the definitive killer for me. That is if I would have to continue and buy more stuff then what I already have collected that is ^^

Oh, and this provides that there won't exist any other company that makes good models to use for a decent price.

RanaldLoec
13-01-2011, 00:41
Stormcrow did Hollywood teach you nothing.

The bad guys look cool the good guys look like girly fairys but they always win.

So your Darkelves may suck compared to their cousins with questionable sexuality but they look badass in black while losing.

spiderman5z
13-01-2011, 02:57
the only thing that would stop me from playing warhammer or any form of tabletop game would be if the US government outlawed tabletop wargames... But then again if they did do that I'm sure there'd be underground gaming clubs where people get together and play warhammer clandestinely :D

Thruster
13-01-2011, 05:34
I stopped 40k because my 5,000 pts Tyranid army became useless with the current rules.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-01-2011, 07:26
I did stop playing 40k for several years during the revolution from 2nd to 3rd edition, as did everyone else I had ever known playing.

I did stop Fantasy for half a year after getting massacred a dozen or more games in a row, and simply not knowing what I could do differently.

Evil Hypnotist
13-01-2011, 09:03
Seconded, the change from 2nd to 3rd killed 40k for me. Necromunda is the only thing I play from that universe now. I'm not opposed to change but I hated how simplistic they tried to make it, where in actual fact you had to remember even more rules. Fantasy is my hook now, although I do have some Space Wolves to paint as I love their Nordic look.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-01-2011, 10:31
I've got an SW and an IG army, and both are of a considerable size but I haven't touched them for a year or so except for selling excess stuff on ebay. Now that has of course nothing to do with the aforementioned change of editions ;) but everyone in my neck of the woods who used to play 40k is playing nothing but Warmachine.

So I guess a lack of players/lack of general interest does cause me to stop playing!

nanktank
13-01-2011, 10:40
Lack of a gaming group for me, its hard to play 40k by yourself

Tymell
13-01-2011, 11:08
What would stop me collecting/playing? Absurdly high pric-oops! Too late :p

I still love the setting, take interest in the game and releases, think the models are (for the most part) ace, but continuing to buy only affirms that prices can keep going up without negative effect.

ColShaw
13-01-2011, 13:12
The only things I can think of are blindness or dementia.

bert n ernie
14-01-2011, 14:29
so many people seem so angry at 8th ed for some reason (well not some reason, many reasons) but is just going ' *hands up* done!' really neccessary when you have played a game for so long.
If the car is a Lemon do you keep fixing it, or buy a new car?
I don't see the game as that bad yet, but some really do.

The only things I can think of are blindness or dementia.

I actually know someone who is partially sighted who plays. If it every happens I would suggest Bloodbowl both because it's on a smaller area(can lightly feel the minis without having to move around the table to do so) and because it's on a grid, so is easier to visualise.
However if you can still see the rough placement of the models, even if they are very blurry you can play. 8th ed premeasuring (and a friendly opponent) helps this greatly.

IcedCrow
14-01-2011, 14:47
I was a huge player for many years. I started in 5th edition for fantasy and 3rd edition for 40k.

What got me out of the hobby was the overall attitude, at least in my area, where tournaments came first, and the tournament mentality was predominant. It just wasn't much fun for me. I am a campaign gamer.

I'm getting back into it now after about four years off (I've played here and there once in a while but I just now bought the 8th edition rulebook) with some friends who are just starting, but I have no plans to be anywhere near competetive play again.

Watching grown men throw tirades and tantrums over bad dice, cheesy opponents, people mocking others for their poor gamer level, just the general overall poor sportsmanship of a lot of people I ran across in tournament enviornments etc... it was a big turn off for me.

There were a lot of cool people but really all it took was to have to play that one guy in a tournament to ruin your entire day or weekend. You know what one guy I'm talking about too... we all run across them.

TwoBitWriter
14-01-2011, 15:51
So many people going on about how horrible the rules in 8th are, but nobody is providing any specific examples. Just saying "broken rules" isn't a very good defense in my book.

Admittedly, I play Dwarves, but I really like 8th Edition on the whole...

I don't think I could quit WHFB, ever. My wife would flip her lid if I quit a hobby after investing the time and money that I have...

IcedCrow
14-01-2011, 15:53
I've read 8th edition rules. I don't see how they are broken. ?

asphodel
19-01-2011, 18:10
Complete fluff overhaul for me. GW makes gradual changes, some of which bug me but I can make my peace with it. But if I ever pick up a RB and find that the setting has been changed too much, or if one of my preferred armies was changed beyond recognition, then I would seriously consider dropping it.

Really though, I have an on-again off-again relationship with GW and WFB that I think will last indefinitely (I hope...)

Jack of Blades
19-01-2011, 19:23
In my case it's more like what's stopping me from collecting.

1) The army books, those I'm interested in are just not well designed enough - I'd grow bored with the army pretty quickly for various reasons (usually hulk smash and little unit flexibility). I have to force myself to ignore the bad points of the army books I like in both the short and long term to buy any army I like right now.
2) The prices. They would almost be okay as a one-time investment kind of thing, if there was any army book that I'd really like to invest in - that's not the case.

So really I'm waiting for them to release more army books, when they do that and one catches me I'll start getting into it with models bought at non-ridiculous prices.

Nubl0
19-01-2011, 21:13
I almost stopped playing when they split my hordes of chaos army into 3 books... I was left with some useless beastmen, far too few woc to make a list with and a daemon army that no one would play against because it was to cheessy and I was a filthy power gamer for playing them (despite playing them for ages). However they then released the new daemon plastics so I was like *sod it* and played a daemon army and crushed all the whiney gits.

Fishslapper
19-01-2011, 22:19
I did stop playing because it cost too much. I came back and buy them again but I would buy more and directly from GW if it cost less.

I'm unimpressed that the WE, OK and TK not having had new books because it was around that time I did play and I seem confused about what exactly has been happening the last few years...

I am mift about the Dogs of War thing, because if there is something I love; it's playing different, individual and varied armies with lots of styles to choose, while I read a lot of posts that say "if you want to win pick x, x, x and x" and it just seems boring...

Yeah a further price rise may make me buy them so infrequently that my army takes 3 years to where I'd like it to be at the end of the year, but to stop then there would have to be a good enough alternative which has a place I can go easily and when I want (ie. a shop), enough players and high enough quality models. Those are the best things about GW anyway.

DeeKay
19-01-2011, 22:21
Lack of interest and/or opponents.

With regards,
Dan.

Idle Scholar
19-01-2011, 22:32
Warhammer 8th, just not enough tactical gameplay to make it worth putting my models out.

40k 3rd. After getting all my anti tank killed in a round by a IG tank heavy army. OK I was a kid and there were ways around that sort of thing, but it put me into fantasy and my few forays back just bring up the same problem I have with 8th.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
19-01-2011, 23:03
Stop playing Warhammer :eyebrows: ? I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You phrase it as if it were possible.

freddieyu
19-01-2011, 23:23
Only if the hobby interferes with work, which thankfully has not happened yet.....

Pman94
19-01-2011, 23:40
I actually did quit when I was 14 or 13 for about 2-3 years, the prices were getting out of hand for a early teen like myself and to be honest I wasnt the coolest kid in school at the time cuz of it. I quit and went into high school and joined wrestling and football and really turned my life around socially and physically but now that I got all my past issues out of the way and will soon have a disposible income (Im 16 now, the only thing I spend money on is snacks and gas). I just started looking into GW again but the main point is...

Prices is what made me quit originally along with a little social pressure

tank_santa
20-01-2011, 01:09
I actually did stop 40K for good. The models are awesome but the game got too dumbed down and simple. Got to the point where whoever had the first turn won. So 40K will never be played again for me.

Fantasy I have played since 5th edition, and currently I am loving the look of the new 8th edition. My one current complaint is my favorite army (Tomb Kings) is now absolutly no good until they are updated. I feel since the charge no longer garuntees first attack or an auto break with outnumber and fear, undead are terribly overpriced. IMO.

Pman94, social pressure is really lame and 90% of girls could care less that you do this sort of thing anyway. In 3 years you will laugh at all those high school knobs. I also played football through highschool by the way. Been there, know how you feel lol.

madprophet
20-01-2011, 01:17
I already own a considerable amount of figures (Empire, Orks, Goblins, Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, and Dwarves for WFB and Imperial Guard, Chaos Marines, Tau, Tyranids, Daemonhunters and Orks for WH40k) so rising prices are of little concern - I can live without ever buying another figure.

Rules changes don't bother me much, there are always house rules and there are lots of supplements and other ways to play.

If GW bit the big one, I might move on to other rules systems but being I have stuck to relatively generic armies that are setting independent I could do that easily.

theorox
20-01-2011, 13:03
Stop playing Warhammer :eyebrows: ? I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You phrase it as if it were possible.

Exactly this. :D I can't think of anything stopping me right now. I need to play Warhammer.

Oh! I finally understood the Eyebrows smiley! It always looked like a little Limefruit who's gotten beat up and had a huge bump hanging down over his eye. He looks so sad. Poor Lime. :wtf:

Theo

Brother Ranz
20-01-2011, 13:15
My fantasy armies have been sold off, though my Daemon army can do double duty. 7th edition was bad and 8th Edition is Candyland with rules even more dumbed-down than previous editions. Not only did I get out of Warhammer, but my brother and i sold our store in part due to 8th Edition. I could not push that on people and, after a couple months of league play, I felt that doing anything else was more fun. I started playing Warhammer in the late 80's and the Old World calls to me, but now that the Iron Kingdoms have been around for many years, the Old World nostalgia is not so great.
The constant dumbing-down of rules, the crazy power imbalances in codecies, the shifting of the burden for poor rules from the designers to "cheesy" players, and power creep as a sales technique, are the reasons for my getting out and likely for good. Having painted armies for Warhammer and 40K is kind of like having kids in a bad relationship and staying together "for the kids." "Battered Gamer Syndrome" is real and we've all been victims thereof. Give Warmachine a try and you will not regret it. eBay your armies and play a game where the company takes the blame for and fixes rules problems, where the codecies are all designed and tested at the same time and released within a few months, a game with sweet metals and plastics and the best competitive environment in the industry. The fluff is cool too.

Brother Ranz
20-01-2011, 13:23
Warhammer 8th, just not enough tactical gameplay to make it worth putting my models out.

That is a very good one-sentence description of how I feel about it.

theorox
20-01-2011, 13:27
My fantasy armies have been sold off, though my Daemon army can do double duty. 7th edition was bad and 8th Edition is Candyland with rules even more dumbed-down than previous editions. Not only did I get out of Warhammer, but my brother and i sold our store in part due to 8th Edition. I could not push that on people and, after a couple months of league play, I felt that doing anything else was more fun. I started playing Warhammer in the late 80's and the Old World calls to me, but now that the Iron Kingdoms have been around for many years, the Old World nostalgia is not so great.
The constant dumbing-down of rules, the crazy power imbalances in codecies, the shifting of the burden for poor rules from the designers to "cheesy" players, and power creep as a sales technique, are the reasons for my getting out and likely for good.

Very well. I feel the opposite way, and i can't believe how much i love 8th! Blaah blah, finally infantry, bluh, a smooother-running match...more fun...wacky randomness...no less tactics than 7th...

We can both play this game of unfounded comments that we can take in any direction we want. :D

Here's a serious question, with wich i mean no offense (Seriously, i hope you don't take it the wrong way.); Why are you still here? For 40K?

Theo

Brother Ranz
20-01-2011, 13:33
40K has no real competition in what that game does. The game does not allow pre-measuring and the models are cool. The rules are not what they were in previous editions, but they are ok. There is a big group around here and the game is fun at small and large scale. I love the novels and I still play. Warmachine and Hordes are a brilliant replacement for WFB, but for scifi, 40K is still on top.

I come here for more frank discussion of Warmachine as some of the posts would be improper on the company's own forum and when I click "New Posts" potentially interesting threads like this turn up. :)

rodmillard
20-01-2011, 13:48
I've already pretty much given up on 40K - my IG army is a modelling project which occasionally gets wheeled out for campaign weekends, but outside that context I don't see the point. Given that both my armies are all metal (SoB and Arbites themed guard), if I'm going to spend the evening rolling dice I'd rather save myself the hernia and play Yahtzee.

I have yet to be convinced by warhammer 8th - Although I'm in the lucky position that all 3 of my armies are usable in both Warhammer and Kings of War (although since the switch to % my High Elves are no longer a legal warhammer army). At the moment I play either, depending on what I can get an opponent for, but I have to admit I am finding KoW to be by far the better game, and if enough people at the LGS go over to that then I may just drop WFB all together.

yabbadabba
20-01-2011, 13:57
Nothing is going to stop me playing - why should it? And I would question why should anyone unless they have stopped enjoying the game altogether, or never got into it at all. I might play less, but such is the wonder of life.

After all there will always be an edition you liked. As all new wargames rely on word of mouth promotion between friends and opponents then there is no reason to stop playing any version of any games, especially GW.

However, stop buying.....

Tower_Of_The_Stars
20-01-2011, 14:12
I echo what various posters have said in this thread. The price of GW models has not, and will not, stop me playing as I have enough models for two 2500 point armies already. If the prices were cheaper I would probably buy more models directly from GW but those purchases wouldn't be a necessity. As it stands, any additional purchases will be made from ebay and online discount websites, though at some point in the future, I suspect I will be priced out of the latter of these two too.

I think that I would stop playing if I wasn't able to get enjoyable games (duh!) and I believe this scenario could occur for a number of reasons, namely: lack of a player base, not enough time or a general loss of enthusiasm the game or any combination of the three.

With regards to what you have yabbadabba, you seem to assume that everyone has friends that also enjoy the game. I do still have some thankfully, though many more have grown out of it.

DaemonReign
20-01-2011, 14:16
If/when I quit Warhammer it's because
a - a bunch of kids pop out of the ground and there's no time
b - the wife forces me to move too far away to have decent contact with my gaming-crew
c - a combo of the above

In other words, I don't think GW could screw up badly enough for me to abandon them. Fantasy I mean. I am fairly certain I will never go into any other system, not even 40k.

Before the IoB set I would have said that I'd quit if they killed DoC (made them an axis in an "All Chaos" book, or just took 'em out) but now that I've decided to start a High Elf army not even that catastrophy would warrant setting fire to my collection.

rodmillard
20-01-2011, 14:21
However, stop buying.....

Yeah, I should point out that my only GW purchases in the last year have been LotR and specialist games (even my current undead project uses a mix of Mantic and LotR minis). Plastics for the core games are just too expensive.

That's my other objection to 40K - my main army (sisters) has been neglected for nearly a decade, and there's no way I can afford to buy a new army from scratch (however much I might like the look of space wolves, or the forthcoming grey knights). Maybe a new sisters' codex would bring me round, but at the moment I just don't see any point in p(l)aying.

yabbadabba
20-01-2011, 14:41
With regards to what you have yabbadabba, you seem to assume that everyone has friends that also enjoy the game. I do still have some thankfully, though many more have grown out of it.Logic suggests that GWs games are designed to be played with others, unless someone has come up with a successful solo play approach. Therefore if you have no one to play you and want to play, you are left with one option - find someone. Again, like so many other wargames before and probably after GW, this is how it starts.

Not an assumption, but a necessity? Btw this only applies to play of course.

theorox
20-01-2011, 15:03
I come here for more frank discussion of Warmachine as some of the posts would be improper on the company's own forum and when I click "New Posts" potentially interesting threads like this turn up. :)

Very well, thanks for the answers. :)

Theo

Tower_Of_The_Stars
20-01-2011, 15:32
Logic suggests that GWs games are designed to be played with others

Naturally, it's a multiplayer game.

Therefore if you have no one to play you and want to play, you are left with one option - find someone...

I agree, though you have to appreciate that this option is not always possible.

Not an assumption, but a necessity?

Isn't it both? The two aren't mutually exclusive in this case.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to get at is that you said

And I would question why should anyone unless they have stopped enjoying the game altogether... After all there will always be an edition you liked. As all new wargames rely on word of mouth promotion between friends and opponents then there is no reason to stop playing any version of any games, especially GW.

but actually lots of people would stop precisely because they have no friends to play with, regardless of edition! There are two ways of looking at this.

yabbadabba
20-01-2011, 15:33
but actually lots of people would stop precisely because they have no friends to play with, regardless of edition! This is a perfectly valid reason for having stopped playing the game altogether!I disagree, but I am not sure of the why would derail the thread.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
20-01-2011, 23:21
I disagree, but I am not sure of the why would derail the thread.

I am sorry that you feel I have derailed the thread, though personally I don't think I have. Indeed, you quoted me saying why I felt some people would stop playing. That is hardly off topic.

Also why I empathize with your disagreement - you probably don't know anyone that has quit first hand for this reason - I can assure you that it does happen.

Ironhand
20-01-2011, 23:26
I've stopped playing both 40K and Fantasy at different times, most recently Fantasy when I became totally disgusted with what 7th Edition had evolved into.

Basically, I stop playing when I don't like the rules or the way the meta-game evolves, and I just wait until a new edition I like comes out.

Armies never enter into it for me, I'm not that dedicated to any one of them.

yabbadabba
21-01-2011, 06:24
I am sorry that you feel I have derailed the thread, though personally I don't think I have. Indeed, you quoted me saying why I felt some people would stop playing. That is hardly off topic.I meant I feel my explanation would derail the thread.

Also why I empathize with your disagreement - you probably don't know anyone that has quit first hand for this reason - I can assure you that it does happen.I know people who had quit on this basis. I disagreed with that reason.

Belakor
21-01-2011, 06:33
I would stop playing/Buying WFB/40K if I found something better that my friends and I enjoy.

To date, I have not.

TheYoungin
22-01-2011, 19:30
I would only stop playing if I had noone to play with even in my city. But that wouldn't happen cause my brothers already starting his second army.

tmarichards
22-01-2011, 19:47
I'm rapidly getting that way with fantasy... without wanting to start another 'which is better thread', I'm simply not enjoying fantasy as much as I used to. That's not to say I don't like it, but more and more I'm just not finding the game fun to play. So, the next step is to sample 40K, although I suspect the plethora of space marines, badly painted armies, special characters and tanks that dog my local GW will soon put me off.

The next step after that is to trial WM/H, as I have only ever heard good things about Privateer Press and their games.

bork da basher
22-01-2011, 21:33
when i no longer enjoy the game i suppose. theres so many games out there that i'll always play something whether or not its GW related is upto them and whether they ruin future editions of the games.

Skyth
22-01-2011, 22:16
I already quit when 5th edition 40k came out. I don't care for the gamey rules-changes and the local group has a significant holier-than-thou one right way to play group that makes it a hostile environment if you enjoy playing any way that isn't thier way of playing.

I don't really care for 8th all that much, but I've been having fun games with my friends.

cool-kid-on-the-block
22-01-2011, 22:48
i find it hard to play 8th with a serious face on . all I seem to be able to do is guide my units into a big roullette wheel of randomness and hope for the best.

playing with friends that realise and embrace this make it playable enough.

Dwarf Longbeard
23-01-2011, 03:18
I've completly stopped playing 40k altogether, whilst I like some of the background and armies I find the game itself just to simplified and boring where I can't even be bothered to play a game anymore - ok 2nd edition had a lot of problems but at least it was entertaining and not completly dominated by space marines.

My gaming group continue to play warhammer but with a modified ruleset basically based on 8th edition but we've spent some time tweeking the rules so some units (DOW) are still able to be used; but there I find the beauty of the game that if your gaming groups ok with it rules can be altered to suit you all

yabbadabba
23-01-2011, 08:22
but there I find the beauty of the game that if your gaming groups ok with it rules can be altered to suit you all I find that in strange contrast to your comments on 40K :D. I don't see an edition going out of print as a reason to stop playing, especially if it is GW where the vast majority of their stuff can be tracked down via ebay, or has already been ripped off - something I don't condone no matter how much GW charge.

Brother Ranz
23-01-2011, 15:23
I'm rapidly getting that way with fantasy... without wanting to start another 'which is better thread', I'm simply not enjoying fantasy as much as I used to. That's not to say I don't like it, but more and more I'm just not finding the game fun to play. So, the next step is to sample 40K, although I suspect the plethora of space marines, badly painted armies, special characters and tanks that dog my local GW will soon put me off.

The next step after that is to trial WM/H, as I have only ever heard good things about Privateer Press and their games.

Do yourself a favor and try Warmachine first. If you like it, it will cost you less to build your army and will not take so long to paint. I have played everythng. The only game I enjoyed as much as Warmachine was Chronopia, though they are very different. Wargods is nice too, but good luck finding anyone with whom to play. Warmachine is the best.

ReveredChaplainDrake
23-01-2011, 19:29
A couple of things actually happened to me that gave me a falling out with the hobby. I don't really play the game anymore. I just own and store the models, occasionally breaking them out on the rare occasion I get to play a game.

First off, the prices. Because I've been collecting miniatures for over a decade (except for about the past year, roughly) so I was largely insulated from the price hikes. The only things I bought recently were the Trygons, and TBH, those guys are so big that I would've been surprised if it actually cost less. But it really hit me in the face when I tried starting up Dark Eldar for my birthday. On a generous budget of about $200, as well as about $150 saved up from months upon months of hoarding, I thought about Dark Eldar to the point where I bought the Codex from the first store that sold it retail that I could find. But then, after flipping through it, I realized that they function largely on an MSU system. Not only is this horrible for Kill Points, but it means I need to buy a ton of kits for on average of $40 each. Suddenly, $300-350 (though more like $270-320 at that point; do army books / codecies really go for $30 now?!) didn't seem like it would go far enough for an army. Plus I reeeeeeally wanted to upgrade my PS2 and get a PS3, and I never thought I'd see that kind of money again this side of an improved economy, so I went with the PS3. Christmas came and went, and all I asked for were more PS3 games. Because when expensive games go for about $30 at a secondhand game shop, it makes anything sold by Games Workshop seem obscene.

Another factor is store closings. Not only did the Glen Burnie Battle Bunker close down, but another store in a nearby mall is shutting down completely, never to return. Though there's thoughts the Battle Bunker will return, it will probably move to someplace too far away for me to drive to consistently, as Saturday is the only day I can go down to play, and even Saturdays are overly busy. While I wait for Maryland's Battle Bunker to find a new home, I've been cruising around to other stores once every few weeks and found that they're all:
(1) further away than I care to drive,
(2) have horrible parking,
(3) make-shift day care centers (why does it physically pain me to see an 8-year-old attempt to paint a Jes Goodwyn miniature by dipping it in the paint pot?),
(4) have next to no gaming space,
(5) cater more to Fantasy than my preferred system of 40k (what happened to your skirmishers?!),
(6) insist on Apocalypse-style megabattles,
(7) have jerk staff, or
(8) some combination of the aforementioned seven.

:cries:

So long Games Workshop, and thanks for the carpel tunnel syndrome.

DeathlessDraich
23-01-2011, 20:20

That is a very good one-sentence description of how I feel about it.

i find it hard to play 8th with a serious face on . all I seem to be able to do is guide my units into a big roullette wheel of randomness and hope for the best.

I empathise with these statements as I too have felt that way after a few months of 8th Ed.

Stopped playing for just over a month now and I have lost the enthusiasm needed to return but I've got other more interesting pursuits at the moment.

I'm hoping that talking about it might rekindle my interest.

Crovax20
23-01-2011, 21:21
GW is underway in making me stop playing for the following reasons

Prices. I don't want to buy more and more and more and more for ever increasing prices just to have a competitive army.

Certain armies, like Lizardmen, Vampire Counts, Dark Elves. I really hate playing against these armies, even though I win my fair share against them. Simply put where is the fun in this uber unbreakable army of cold bloodedness with a battle standard bearer. Add an Engine of the Gods and some Slann and I get proper pissed off playing against them. Its just not fun.

Dark Elves, he is paying less points for his command groups than my night goblins do:wtf:. Severly undercosted army pointwise, and that makes it stupid when you play against them. Similar troops with similar effects yet he pays less.

Vampire Counts, why the F can they raise above unit starting size? Why the F can he raise his bloodknights back, its not like they are the least survivable troops on the board or anything. When you finally poke one down with your weight of goblin/statetroop attacks he happily raises him back next turn. And they cut through units pretty well still even in 8th edition.

Thank god for the likes of non gunline empire, dwarves, orcs & goblins, bretonnia etc. Else I would have stopped last friday.

cool-kid-on-the-block
23-01-2011, 21:41
i totally agree with you Crovax20 with the certain armies thing.

the ballance issues mean that my beastmen are forced to play specific armies in order to not get utterly crushed by armies that have better and cheaper troops than mine somehow?