PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Confirmed

Pages : [1] 2 3

Khorneguy
10-01-2011, 09:31
GW have posted this article up on their website

https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=14300088a&_requestid=162873

You need to log in to see it but it confirms Grey Knights for April

Interestingly it makes reference to them being clad in Termimator Armour, as if that's the norm for them (ie. no power armoured GK's).

It also states in black and white that plastic kits are on the way

Daemon Primarch Lorgar
10-01-2011, 09:37
Very nice :)! Thank you!

Rick Blaine
10-01-2011, 09:39
Wheee.

A question pops to mind. Will it say anywhere that Codex: Grey Knights invalidates Codex: Daemonhunters?

I'm asking because I know a pair of cheesemongers who I'm sure will continue to use inquisitorial allies in their IG armies unless GW spells it out for them in an official publication that they can't.

Thanatos_elNyx
10-01-2011, 09:42
Have Grey Knights always used Sorcery in the past?

Khorneguy
10-01-2011, 09:50
Have Grey Knights always used Sorcery in the past?

They've always had psychic powers. Lets face it, psychic powers or psychically impregnated weapons are pretty much the only things that can reliably hurt deamons

Lord Khabal
10-01-2011, 09:57
Holy crap!!! Im the happiest man on earth!!! And it is codex: Grey Knights, which is a bit of a downer because I do like the Inquisition elements...

*does happy dance*

Now the question is: What the hell happened to the DEldar 2nd wave ?!

Asher
10-01-2011, 10:21
It's quite suprizing that they didn't get posponed afterall, despite credible sources saying so.

Although, aren't the WHFB Orcs supposed to appear in april as well?

Whitehorn
10-01-2011, 10:26
Interestingly it makes reference to them being clad in Termimator Armour, as if that's the norm for them (ie. no power armoured GK's).

Well, I for one would not mind them returning to the old ways, but I can see a huge backlash if they lack PA.

Hadriel Caine
10-01-2011, 10:28
I can't remember my GW login lol. good news anyway!

The_Dark_Raven
10-01-2011, 10:33
GW login, oh it's been a long time since I used mine.

Still, fantastic news. I hope these kits will have parts for me to steal from them and enhance my Chaos EC. Until I finally fall into this new CODEX.

dragonet111
10-01-2011, 10:35
I can't remember my GW login lol. good news anyway!

In the GK rumors thread someone post a copy of the GW message if you don't want or can't access the GW website.

Whitehorn
10-01-2011, 10:37
— Article by Adam Troke : https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=14300088a&_requestid=301808

As the Emperor prepared for his final confrontation with the traitor Horus, he granted one final gift to Mankind, a safeguard and protection against the horrors of the Warp - the Grey Knights. A brotherhood of warriors as elite as they are secretive, the Grey Knights are a shining line of silvered steel that stands between humanity and the Daemons of Chaos.

Trained as the mightiest paragons of mental fortitude and martial discipline in the Imperium, the Grey Knights maintain a vigilant watch for daemonic incursion, responding wrathfully against the scions of the Dark Gods, and those who dally with them.

Clad in baroque Terminator armour and wielding powerful weapons such as storm bolters and Nemesis force weapons, the Grey Knights tear through the enemy, unleashing an onslaught of psychic powers and sorcery to sunder the foe.

The Grey Knights are an unstoppable force, the manifestation of the Emperor's will, valiant warriors who willingly sacrifice their own humanity so that Mankind itself can endure.

This April Games Workshop releases Codex: Grey Knights, alongside a comprehensive range of fantastically detailed Citadel miniatures. Although details are being kept firmly under wraps for now, you can expect an exciting selection of plastic kits to enable you to build your own Grey Knights army.

Over the coming weeks we'll be releasing more details both here on the Games Workshop website and also in the pages of White Dwarf - to ensure you're the first to get the news, make sure you subscribe to the Games Workshop newsletter and keep an eye on the What's New

Hadriel Caine
10-01-2011, 10:40
Thanks very much! As I said before this is good news!

Vhalyar
10-01-2011, 10:56
One more point for the BoK rumors.

anselminus
10-01-2011, 11:02
yeahhhhhh daemon will die

BramGaunt
10-01-2011, 11:03
Wheee.

A question pops to mind. Will it say anywhere that Codex: Grey Knights invalidates Codex: Daemonhunters?

I'm asking because I know a pair of cheesemongers who I'm sure will continue to use inquisitorial allies in their IG armies unless GW spells it out for them in an official publication that they can't.

No Codex is ever "invaluated", you may always use it with a gentlemen's agreement. But I suppose they will stop the support for it, eG downloads, FAQs, etc.

Vhalyar
10-01-2011, 11:07
No Codex is ever "invaluated", you may always use it with a gentlemen's agreement. But I suppose they will stop the support for it, eG downloads, FAQs, etc.

And of course, no longer being tournament legal, if that's your thing.

Jonny100
10-01-2011, 11:16
Aww and there was me hoping that there was a small chance in hell it would be necrons in April :-(

Good news for all you GK players though! Hope it's a good'un!

Grimtuff
10-01-2011, 11:25

No, what is meant here is Rick Blaine's opponent's want to have their cake and eat it, they will still want to use codex GK AND codex DH at the same time.

Some people just won't get over losing their 2 Mystics... :rolleyes:

BramGaunt
10-01-2011, 11:30
Well, I for one would not mind them returning to the old ways, but I can see a huge backlash if they lack PA.

I see a huge wave up uprising rage, burning GW-stores and dark rituals across the World from the fanbase if the Power-Armour GKs become useless...

The Clairvoyant
10-01-2011, 11:31

This made me chuckle. After years of incoming! articles with the dark eldar players complaining that it wasn't their new book, now its cos its not their new models! :D

I apologise if you meant your post in jest (i'm glad you're happy about GK being done) but it just ticked me.

Lukaz
10-01-2011, 12:19
Why does April feel so far away!!! I can't wait

Ironhand
10-01-2011, 12:59
I'm glad to see that GK did not get postponed as had been rumored.

The blurb makes me wonder if GW hasn't turned the GK into an all Terminator force, with things like IST filling in the spaces.

No skin off my nose, DH was the only codex I had no interest in, and so never invested any money in. These boys on the other hand......:D

Maidel
10-01-2011, 13:14

Well, actually the 'old' way is with power armoured and terminator armour. It wasn't till second edition that they were terminator only. They had a full printed army list in rogue trader and they were 90% the same as any other marine chapter.

jt.glass
10-01-2011, 13:21
They've always had psychic powers.Actually quite the opposite. Their list in RoC (which I believe is their first appearance) said they were carefully screened to exclude all psykers. The the Red Book added psyker terminators, and it grew from there.

jt.

donFer
10-01-2011, 13:25
So they weren't pushed back after all. Great to hear they're coming in April! Excelent news!

Badruk
10-01-2011, 13:26
April Fool? In advance :)

Zweischneid
10-01-2011, 13:35
The blurb makes me wonder if GW hasn't turned the GK into an all Terminator force, with things like IST filling in the spaces.

Unlikely. I am pretty sure that people with PA Grey Knights will be able to use those models, even if GW should decide to de-emphasise them by (possibly, if unlikely) not updating the models and making them perhaps less-than-optimal in the new book.

At the very least, they should be in there like Powerarmour Calgar, Njal or stuff like Las/Plas-Razorbacks or Legion of the Damned.. all things that represent "old" models even as they're not "officially supported" anymore.

dala_karn
10-01-2011, 13:43
In this issue: Chapter 666: Hammer of Daemons

Incoming! Grey Knights

'We are the warriors of the Grey Knights, armoured in Faith, shielded by Devotion and armed with Purity of Purpose. But greater even than these, we carry the light of the divine Emperor of Man into the dark places to purge the daemonic wherever it may be found.' - Brother-Captain Stern of the Grey Knights, Prior to the Purging of Xoedic Binary 978.M41

In April the Grey Knights, an elite and secretive Chapter of Space Marines, will stand ready to fight the forces of Chaos and the horrors of the Warp with new reinforcements. Take a look at the Astronomican today to see the Studio's Incoming! article for more information about the legendary heroes that are the Grey Knights.

From the GW email.

Odin
10-01-2011, 13:43
It's quite suprizing that they didn't get posponed afterall, despite credible sources saying so.

Although, aren't the WHFB Orcs supposed to appear in april as well?

March for O&G I believe.

stevegill
10-01-2011, 13:51
I see a huge wave up uprising rage, burning GW-stores and dark rituals across the World from the fanbase if the Power-Armour GKs become useless...

Or not :evilgrin:

I'd be a little upset as I've got about 30 of them, but the terminators are MUCH nicer.

DeSnifter
10-01-2011, 13:56
Any pictures we have not seen yet included in the part on the GW page that you have to login for? Or should I not waste my time?

synack
10-01-2011, 13:59
Any pictures we have not seen yet included in the part on the GW page that you have to login for? Or should I not waste my time?

Ask and thee shall receive

Erwos
10-01-2011, 14:04
I would really not read too much into this announcement; the take-away is GKs in April, not what the composition of the army is.

Dio´Ra
10-01-2011, 14:06

Luckily there were never that much GK players to begin with :rolleyes:

Any way as many I had the problem of finding my password for the website :evilgrin: But when I found it I was a bit dissapointed by the actual article....they could have shown one spoiler picture of the models for all the trouble of logging in :rolleyes:

But atleast it's no official!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-01-2011, 14:20

I would reckon that the Grey Knights are in late April, with the Dark Eldar just before. Just my thoughts anyway.

Free Spirit
10-01-2011, 14:27
I don't think so. Standard release procedure is one release per month, be it new models, a supplement or a revamp of rules and models. Sometimes a few LotR models or mail order only models sneak in, but bigger releases get their own month, especially when they do the fully monty with new rules and everything.

So now we have Skaven in january, Blood Angels in february, Orcs and Goblins in march and Grey Knights in april. A good start of 2011 if i do say so myself. I'm already collectings bits, bases and other stuff to make the grey knights. Can't wait!!!

Lungboy
10-01-2011, 14:31
"As the Emperor prepared for his final confrontation with the traitor Horus, he granted one final gift to Mankind, a safeguard and protection against the horrors of the Warp - the Grey Knights."

So GK founded during the Heresy? That's new isn't it?

madden
10-01-2011, 14:32
Wrong way round grey knights April o&g in march.
Finaly grey knights the best looking marines of the lot let's hope the rule match the models (and hpoe they don't change them to much) as to power armoured ones I hope there still there I've got some and want to keep using them.

boreas
10-01-2011, 14:42
"As the Emperor prepared for his final confrontation with the traitor Horus, he granted one final gift to Mankind, a safeguard and protection against the horrors of the Warp - the Grey Knights."

Leads have been pointing towards loyal Space Marines from traitor legions having been the "geneseed" for GK. Flight of the Eisenstein has some clues in it, but nothing definitive.

Anything in the Garro audiobook?

Phil

Ivellis
10-01-2011, 14:42
Well, I've always absolutely LOVED the design of Grey Knights, but I've tried not to contribute to the over population of SM players and I still have yet to buy my Dark Eldar army that I've been waiting for since I started 40k. I have a dilemma here guys.

Azazyll
10-01-2011, 14:49
The sorcery comment is disturbing. That's a significant change in fluff. But perhaps it speaks to daemonhosts being in the book.

The comment that founding the GK was the emperor's last act before confronting Horus is a major revelation as well. It had perhaps been hinted at, but as far as I know it's never been put in quite those words before.

Aluinn
10-01-2011, 14:51
I'm glad to see that GK did not get postponed as had been rumored.

No skin off my nose, DH was the only codex I had no interest in, and so never invested any money in. These boys on the other hand......:D

I sincerely doubt it, because GW does go to great lengths (especially of late) to not render their own models literally useless. (I realize they do occasionally render conversions representing scrapped options from previous iterations of a 'dex useless, but stock models are a different thing, it seems.) Removing GK in power armor would be more or less like removing Grots, or Dire Avengers, or something. They were a core army choice with very specific models, in other words. I mean, you literally had to take them if you wanted to play an army of pure GK.

And, for this reason, I fully expect that, in spite of some rumors, there will still be a way to take units of Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. It may require a special character, they may have a different name, and they may not be a competitive choice, but I'd bet the farm that you'll still be able to use them somehow.

The emphasis on Terminators may be due to them being in Troops rather than just Elite, or being able to be taken as Troops with a SC, which has been rumored elsewhere.

synack
10-01-2011, 14:54
I don't see TAGK being troops without a SC, I don't know where that rumour came from, as it was clearly said that a SC was needed to take them as troops.

I want to find out about the army rules now, as thats what makes them different. They had the Aegis armour before and you had to roll to see them. Is that still in? Does each squad still have the ability to block a pshycic power if they are targeted. Etc, etc...

SkiddyRowe
10-01-2011, 14:59
Leads have been pointing towards loyal Space Marines from traitor legions having been the "geneseed" for GK. Flight of the Eisenstein has some clues in it, but nothing definitive.

Anything in the Garro audiobook?

Phil

:POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

A couple of hints, his armours grey now with no death guard symbols and he's collecting marines from both loyal & traitor legions for something.

Emeraldw
10-01-2011, 15:00
Heck yeah! Awesome! I am going to be broke come April.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-01-2011, 15:03
I don't think so. Standard release procedure is one release per month, be it new models, a supplement or a revamp of rules and models. Sometimes a few LotR models or mail order only models sneak in, but bigger releases get their own month, especially when they do the fully monty with new rules and everything.

So now we have Skaven in january, Blood Angels in february, Orcs and Goblins in march and Grey Knights in april. A good start of 2011 if i do say so myself. I'm already collectings bits, bases and other stuff to make the grey knights. Can't wait!!!

This would make Hastings wrong though, as he explicitly said that the Dark Eldar second wave is before Grey Knights. We can but see.

Dilgar
10-01-2011, 15:06
Thanks for the info!

Now this was what I waited for, confirmation!

Awaiting to finally cracking up some new stuff for my GKs :chrome:

x-esiv-4c
10-01-2011, 15:07
Didn't you hear? The Inquisition is a part of the Grey Knights...

Zweischneid
10-01-2011, 15:20
Well, I've always absolutely LOVED the design of Grey Knights, but I've tried not to contribute to the over population of SM players and I still have yet to buy my Dark Eldar army that I've been waiting for since I started 40k. I have a dilemma here guys.

Easy....

1. Buy a bucket of Wyches...

2. Buy some Grey Knight Terminators..

3. Paint them.

4. Play Space Hulk with them.

Bestial Fury
10-01-2011, 15:51

Well, maybe it's something new in between Termie armor and PA. If it is new, they won't make mere mention of it in the announcement.

AlexHolker
10-01-2011, 16:12
The sorcery comment is disturbing. That's a significant change in fluff.
More likely it's another guy forgetting that in 40k sorcery and psionics are not synonyms, like the guy that screwed up the story of the Council of Nikaea.

deadly claris
10-01-2011, 16:16
Well, maybe it's something new in between Termie armor and PA. If it is new, they won't make mere mention of it in the announcement.

GK vear Aegis Armour not the "normal" power armor

but think logical , if all the GK have termi armor it whoud be a really thin codex

GK termis are elites and AA GK are troops

I think we will se much more unit typs in the new codex not less

(man Im curious for whats in the Fast attack options )

Emeraldw
10-01-2011, 16:18

As a member of that overpopulation, I can tell you that the variety inside space marines is such that it really isn't an issue. Chaos, loyal and their variants all play differently and I suspect this one to be even more so from standard.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
10-01-2011, 16:24
Well, color me pleasantly surprised! What with Hastings comments I figured GK were pushed into the summer. I'm trying not to get too excited just yet (my favorite part of the army is the Inquisition) but at the same time it's nice to hear that my favorite army is finally going to get some attention.

jspyd3rx
10-01-2011, 16:27
When nids came out, we LOTD release at the same time in the month. A DE wave release at the beginning of the month followed by grey knights in the same month is very possible:)

deadly claris
10-01-2011, 16:33
When nids came out, we LOTD release at the same time in the month. A DE wave release at the beginning of the month followed by grey knights in the same month is very possible:)

Or DE wave in may ?
yeah 2 40K armys in a row ..whay not ..we hade 2(or even 3) fantasy realises in a row last year

silentsmoke
10-01-2011, 17:09
Bout time!!

WordBearer
10-01-2011, 17:38
There are forms of "sorcery" that are used by the Inquisition, or at least forms that are close enough that the difference between psykers and sorcery is academic in these cases. Hexagrammic Wards ain't exactly the shining light of the Emperor's secular truth, yanno.

Ominous Anonymous
10-01-2011, 17:45
You could say that psychic powers are...indistinguishable from magic. ;)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-01-2011, 17:50

That a very good point, I forgot about that. So I'm still believing Hastings.

Voss
10-01-2011, 17:57
Eh. Piggybacking LotR stuff is one thing. It happens. Dual 40k releases don't.

One thing that makes little sense now is the Chapter number. If this was something the emperor set up, then the chapter number should be 21, not 666, as the loyalist legions haven't been split yet. Ah, fun with retcons.

AlexHolker
10-01-2011, 18:02
Eh. Piggybacking LotR stuff is one thing. It happens. Dual 40k releases don't.
He said LotD (Legion of the Damned), not LotR.

GreenDracoBob
10-01-2011, 18:05
LOTD is Legion of the Damned, which is a 40k release. However, from what we've heard about the Dark Eldar second wave and the Grey Knight releases, I find it unlikely they'd be in the same month. Instead we could see something like the Fantasy releases last year, where from the rulebook release to the High Elves there was a Fantasy release every month, with the Daemon release in August being the only 40k release to break it up.

In any case, the rumor guys got something wrong here (or were misinformed or deliberately misled).

Brother Weasel
10-01-2011, 18:08
In any case, the rumor guys got something wrong here (or were misinformed or deliberately misled).

that's why they are rumor guys, not fact guys:)

daemonish
10-01-2011, 18:15
I'm a huge fan of the grey knights aesthetic. But i don't collect them, however i may have to buy some plastic box sets if they are good enough, might even buy a battleforce depending on if they release one and if its good value for money and of course contains some awesome miniatures. As for a release schedule is it possible we could see the WHFB expansion legendary battles or epic battle or what ever was rumoured post GK or maybe tomb kings.

Marsekay
10-01-2011, 18:17

iu believe it almost confirms a founding DURING the heresy yes.

i guess people can finally shut up about them being one of the 2 missing hcapters now!

stevegill
10-01-2011, 18:30
iu believe it almost confirms a founding DURING the heresy yes.

I think the Garro audiobook pretty much nailed that one down already

Erwos
10-01-2011, 18:30
Well, wait a second; just because he created the GK geneseed during the HH doesn't actually mean there were GKs during the HH. It's entirely possible that he created the geneseed, fought Horus, got wounded, and then the GK geneseed was implanted at the end of the Second Founding.

In fact, this would jive pretty well with the exploits of everyone's favorite DG loyalist. From what I recall, Second Founding chapters got help from their parent chapters to get them started out... but who would help the GKs? Maybe a bunch of loyalists from the traitor legions, men who would have experience seeing Chaos corrupt and have ideas about how to defend against it. This would even explain why the GKs might want to keep their origins a mystery - no sense proclaiming to the galaxy that their mentors were from THOSE legions!

laudarkul
10-01-2011, 18:33
Perfect timing. Until then I hope to paint 13GKT buy a month ago + 7 GKT who sit on the box, as well as 23 PAGK also buy two months ago. Only to find some money for some LRC and some doors from FW :rolleyes:....

Rolf
10-01-2011, 18:51
I think they'll be power armour marines in the GK list, for the reason that the Stormraven can't carry terminators (I can't check this so I could be wrong)

In Oath of Moment
Garrow is collecting psykers from other chapters under Malcador's instructions.

Shatterclaw
10-01-2011, 18:55
There is still Feb and march.. I'm not convinced that they can't tac on wave 1.5 on to some thing. Grant it, if the month after Codex gray knight is Dark Eldar wave 1.5, I'm still happy.

Either way as always with Gee Dub nothing is set in stone.

This made me chuckle. After years of incoming! articles with the dark eldar players complaining that it wasn't their new book, now its cos its not their new models! :D

I apologise if you meant your post in jest (i'm glad you're happy about GK being done) but it just ticked me.

WildWeasel
10-01-2011, 19:00
I think they'll be power armour marines in the GK list, for the reason that the Stormraven can't carry terminators (I can't check this so I could be wrong)
]

It can, TDA rules prevent them from being embarked into Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
10-01-2011, 19:04
Indeed. My current BA list is going to run a squad of Assault Terminators with an attached Sang Priest in TDA in each Squall Guppy. Fills up the carrying capacity nicely.

FerociousBeast
10-01-2011, 19:20
One thing that makes little sense now is the Chapter number. If this was something the emperor set up, then the chapter number should be 21, not 666, as the loyalist legions haven't been split yet. Ah, fun with retcons.
The Grey Knights have been chapter 666 since at least 2nd edition, when I first read about them. Their number doesn't have anything to do with their founding or the order of their creation.

Ominous Anonymous
10-01-2011, 19:23
Actually I thought the number did have some importance, that the Emperor did it on purpose to add to their mysticism or somesuch.

HereticHammer01
10-01-2011, 19:27
Can't see them getting rid of PAGK. These guys in plastic models should look awesome.

Cain1001
10-01-2011, 20:37
I have been dying to find as way to get a hold of the sweet Terminator models in the Space Hulk board game so if they release GK Termies with that quality it looks like I will be setting aside:

Black Templars
Necrons
Tau
Imperial Guard
Orks

and will be buying a new GK setup....................waiting for pictures now!!!!!!

Monodominant
10-01-2011, 20:40
666 is the numbers of words in the "Canticle of Absolution" ie the chant of the Grey Knights (current codex last page)

Free Spirit
10-01-2011, 20:44
LOTD is Legion of the Damned, which is a 40k release. However, from what we've heard about the Dark Eldar second wave and the Grey Knight releases, I find it unlikely they'd be in the same month. Instead we could see something like the Fantasy releases last year, where from the rulebook release to the High Elves there was a Fantasy release every month, with the Daemon release in August being the only 40k release to break it up.

Schedules change. ;)
But anyway, if it wasn't for our friendly neighbourhood rumor guys we would be stuck in the cold darkness of space.

The LotD was just a single box and some extra blisters. Same goes for most of the LotR releases, wich is often just a few blisters and sometimes a small box. Over the last few years there have been more releases in a month, but never a 2nd wave and another 'big' release like a codex revamp or another 2nd wave.

++ Speculation part ++

One other option is that the DE get one or two new things (for example a Talos/Chronos box or one/two blisters) as a small release instead of a proper big 2nd wave. But that's pure speculation. Also, who decides what a 2nd wave actually is. Sometimes it's a box and a blister, sometimes it's 2 or 3 boxes and a handful of blisters. It's still possible that the DE get some models in before the GK, but i would find it weird if they would put it in the same month as a release wich can be considered pretty big and long-awaited.

Voss
10-01-2011, 21:18
Schedules change. ;)

Actually, the lesson here is apparently they don't. Older rumours put them in for april, then recently (in the last week or so) we got 'GK delayed' and 'DE wave in april.' But instead the GK release seems to be sitting in exact same place.

Deamon-forge
10-01-2011, 21:24
hmm not leting me log in to see the picture, i want to see the pictures!

Ominous Anonymous
10-01-2011, 21:25
It's nothing new, if it helps.

Voss
10-01-2011, 21:26
hmm not leting me log in to see the picture, i want to see the pictures!

Check post 33 of this thread. There is only the one.

popisdead
10-01-2011, 21:30
Wheee.

I am confused. When does GW release a new book allowing the previous edition books to integrate rules?

- If your friends want to use new Grey Knight rules they use the new Codex and play 5th ed games.

- If they want to play an older style list (with allied inquisitors) for pickup games with permission from their opponent that is fine.

No law against using an old edition of a game at your buddies house (people still play third ed D&D campaigns).

If your friends are deliberatly trying to break the game, don't play them.

Free Spirit
10-01-2011, 22:05
Actually, the lesson here is apparently they don't. Older rumours put them in for april, then recently (in the last week or so) we got 'GK delayed' and 'DE wave in april.' But instead the GK release seems to be sitting in exact same place.

In that context you are correct, i remembered it wrong, thought the 'original rumored release month' was may, not april. But still, it's always possible something changes in a 6 month schedule.

Ominous Anonymous
10-01-2011, 22:05
Blood of Kittens had them listed as a March to May release, so that's something I guess...

burni
10-01-2011, 22:09

Frgt/10 said that April wouldn't bring the DE 2nd wave - just a few metal beast related models:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5208473#post5208473

I believe he's always been 100% accurate with his rumours (along with Hastings). While on the other hand, it seems as though the Warseer mods don't put much faith in a lot of SM's posts. But this is just a rough observation and is completely off-topic (sorry).

I'm hoping the new codex brings some nice plastic Storm Troopers tho :)

Idaan
10-01-2011, 22:12
Check post 33 of this thread. There is only the one.

Actually that picture is pretty old, I recall it being in GK Index Astartes.

AndrewGPaul
10-01-2011, 22:22
It's still the picture from the article, which is what was asked for. :)

johno
10-01-2011, 23:02
people still play third ed D&D campaigns

There is still a small UK tournament circuit for Wargames Research Group 6th Edition Ancients rules - despite the fact they have been superseded by the 7th edition, and five editions of an entirely different Ancients rules set from the same company!

johno

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
10-01-2011, 23:49
Heck, I've known people to play first edition AD&D.

Ominous Anonymous
11-01-2011, 00:10
Heck, I've known people to play first edition AD&D.

Yea, the point is that casual games are free game when it comes to use of editions - I'm definitely keeping my DH codex around for some of the scenarios in the back. It's when tournaments come into play or stuff like the use of Allies for the 2xMystic combo where things get murky.

BTW, Ashe, don't you think your blog could use an update right about now? :D

Lungboy
11-01-2011, 00:14
I am confused. When does GW release a new book allowing the previous edition books to integrate rules?

- If your friends want to use new Grey Knight rules they use the new Codex and play 5th ed games.

- If they want to play an older style list (with allied inquisitors) for pickup games with permission from their opponent that is fine.

No law against using an old edition of a game at your buddies house (people still play third ed D&D campaigns).

If your friends are deliberatly trying to break the game, don't play them.

I assume his point was that by changing from C: DH to C: GK the new codex is effectively completely new, thus allowing his friends to still use C: DH and the allies rules.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
11-01-2011, 00:24
BTW, Ashe, don't you think your blog could use an update right about now? :D

Yeah. But I figure since half the Blogosphere beat me to the punch already, I'll wait until I have something better to say than just "WOOOOOOOOOO!"

WordBearer
11-01-2011, 00:31
I assume his point was that by changing from C: DH to C: GK the new codex is effectively completely new, thus allowing his friends to still use C: DH and the allies rules.That's like arguing that "Codex: Tau Empire" didn't supersede "Codex: Tau" when it was published.

Ominous Anonymous
11-01-2011, 00:35
Yeah. But I figure since half the Blogosphere beat me to the punch already, I'll wait until I have something better to say than just "WOOOOOOOOOO!"

No excuses! :evilgrin:

Dooks Dizzo
11-01-2011, 00:42
I staked my proffessional reputation that GK's would NOT be coming out in April.

So happy to be wrong :)

blameless
11-01-2011, 04:15
that's why they are rumor guys, not fact guys:)

Hahahaha! This! Brilliant

MajorWesJanson
11-01-2011, 04:30
Well, guess I know where my Tax refund will be going...

It will be nice to get more fluff in the book. Maybe the Exorcists will be mentioned?

DE in April was an assumption based on news that GKs were pushed back, and then grew from there. DE in April was not an official rumor that I can remember. De are supposed to be done by June, so a few kits in April (beastmasters? if GK are short metal unit boxes they could drop in a DE one I suppose) then Either May or June we see the DE wave.

Can't wait to start getting model pics and better rumors of what kits will be coming beyond just PAGK and TAGK kits in a few months.

Given how nice and popular the metal GKs are, I'd guess that they will be shifted into Collectors when the plastics come out. People would still be able to get them and use them with the new book, even if most go with the new plastics.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-01-2011, 11:30
DE in April was an assumption based on news that GKs were pushed back, and then grew from there. DE in April was not an official rumor that I can remember. De are supposed to be done by June, so a few kits in April (beastmasters? if GK are short metal unit boxes they could drop in a DE one I suppose) then Either May or June we see the DE wave.

Nope, Hastings specifically said that the Dark Eldar wave is in April.

Then again he did say that Grey Knights were pushed back from April and now here they are. Maybe GW mucked about with the release schedule.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2011, 12:27
Nope, Hastings specifically said that the Dark Eldar wave is in April.

Then again he did say that Grey Knights were pushed back from April and now here they are. Maybe GW mucked about with the release schedule.

He did, but the evidence seems to indicate he may have been... mistaken.

Would it not be very unusual, given the amount of models expected in the DE second wave, if they were to share a release month with the launch of another codex, especially a space marine chapter.

- Deathwing -
11-01-2011, 13:39
Sweet. Can't wait for the first pictures. :)

Lusall
11-01-2011, 15:00
To say the least, I was happier than a pig in s-t to see this announcement. Made my day! At first...

Then I found my wallet with a bullet hole in a place that I had to assume was supposed to be its head.

Lordy...can't wait to see the new minis!!

mdauben
11-01-2011, 15:04
PErsonally, I'm waiting to see more specific details on the new list, as I don't at all care for many of the rumors that are floating about. Still, I'm sure the new figures will be fantastic, so if nothing else I'll pick up a few of them just to paint.

synack
11-01-2011, 15:23
I'll be collecting GK regardless, I'm not a huge fluff person, I'm getting into it, but I've had my GK for years and I simply can't wait to finally have a new codex for them, to the point that I don't even care that Cruddance is doing it.

Bestial Fury
11-01-2011, 15:25
Maybe GW mucked about with the release schedule.

Yup. Anything a rumor monger reveals may be invalidated within hours of a change by the development schedule. And this may never get back to the rumor monger.

Voss
11-01-2011, 17:58
Or a change in the release schedule may never happen, despite what the rumourmongers hear or assume.

Wait a tick. I think people are putting too much stock in the DE by June thing. Remember this comes from a casual conversation between a random guy and Jes outside Bugman's during a smoke break. Its not official by any means, and its worth some skepticism.

Stickmonkey
11-01-2011, 18:19
OK... :)

In August 2010...I originally commented on GK being Q1, and during that post I told you all that based on my knowledge jan/Feb wasnt likely...it "could be" March.

This month I said they had been delayed to later. (albiet I did say 'much' later :) ) And April is indeed later... So...was I "really" wrong???

Ha.

Well more is coming soon and I think the players who have been waiting will be happy.

I'm not breaking NDA to clarify what I've already stated in the past, so:

1. Expect a new codex which expands the fluff greatly.
2. Expect plastic Terminator GKs, in scale and compatiable with current plastic Teminators
3. Expect plastic power armor sized GKs, whether this armor is actually aegis, annointer, artificer, etc is a mute point, they will be in scale and compatible with all other standard sized marines
4. Expect new sculpts of existing metal character minis
5. Expect a few "new" plastic kits and metal blisters (for the specific rumored kits see the numerous other threads, I'm not going to reveal anything specific here)
6. This will be a wave release, not all of the units of the codex will be represented by models in the release or current ranges
7. IMHO, the models are some of the best sculpts I've ever seen out of GW.

Cheers...

PS: To my friends in Brisbane and Toowoomba, (esp: Baz, Lachlan, Wynter), and everyone at Battle Station. Stay safe, stay dry. And my God watch over your families. I wish I was there.

GreyishKnight
11-01-2011, 18:21
Or a change in the release schedule may never happen, despite what the rumourmongers hear or assume.

Wait a tick. I think people are putting too much stock in the DE by June thing. Remember this comes from a casual conversation between a random guy and Jes outside Bugman's during a smoke break. Its not official by any means, and its worth some skepticism.

An 'official rumour' sounds close to being an oxymoron.

I'd say a single second wave release each for WH40K and WHFB, in between each codex/army book release sounds more appropriate than trying to cram two or more and prolonging a bigger launch. Based on that, DE 2nd wave in June (with something for WHFB in May) sounds reasonable. If we've learned anything from all this just remembering that until GW confirms it we shouldn't bet on it being real.

Voss
11-01-2011, 18:26
In August 2010...I originally commented on GK being Q1, and during that post I told you all that based on my knowledge jan/Feb wasnt likely...it "could be" March.

This month I said they had been delayed to later. (albiet I did say 'much' later :) ) And April is indeed later... So...was I "really" wrong???

Ha.

I really wish you hadn't done this, partly because it feels like you are trolling the thread to get a response from the people criticizing you in the other thread.

Just to keep things tidy, here is the relevant part your post from last week

My sources are saying GK may be much later this year. Sources say that because the DE release was so successful, that's why we are seeing a shuffling to get more DE models out sooner. More a financial decision than production from what I'm hearing. Hope it's not true.

So, yes, it isn't an april vs. march thing.

Starchild
11-01-2011, 18:29
This month I said they had been delayed to later. (albiet I did say 'much' later :) ) And April is indeed later... So...was I "really" wrong???Technically, no. [pats Stickmonkey on back] :p

Can you give us any hints regarding which rumours are accurate, and which are false? Just enough to keep this thread going until the pictures start appearing? :D

Stickmonkey
11-01-2011, 18:38
Technically, no. [pats Stickmonkey on back] :p

Can you give us any hints regarding which rumours are accurate, and which are false? Just enough to keep this thread going until the pictures start appearing? :D

Done. See amendment, apologies to all to seeming to troll...not my intention...

Yak
11-01-2011, 18:39
Technically, no. [pats Stickmonkey on back] :p

SM has already said his NDA has kicked in with regards to GK, so we will have to look elsewhere until release.

Edit: but see above.

dashzed
11-01-2011, 19:03
thats too bad SM can't tell us more, i really am excited for this release. Even though i've got too many armies, i might pick up a box or two of plastic termies anyways.

Azzy
11-01-2011, 19:12
He did, but the evidence seems to indicate he may have been... mistaken.

Y'know, it's the first time I've ever seen Hastings wrong about a rumor. It's rather weird.

Would it not be very unusual, given the amount of models expected in the DE second wave, if they were to share a release month with the launch of another codex, especially a space marine chapter.

It would. I could seen DE releases along side of the BA stuff this Feb a lot easier than along side a codex release. I'd still hold to Jes's statement of 90% of all DE before June, though. So, while April seems unlikely, we'll see how the other months pan out.

ForgottenLore
11-01-2011, 19:58
I really wish you hadn't done this, partly because it feels like you are trolling the thread to get a response from the people criticizing you in the other thread
I see exactly the opposite. It's nice when one of the rumor guys jumps back on to clarify and reiterate what he actually said and cut through all the distortion that gets built up around these rumors.

So thanks SM

Skullking
11-01-2011, 20:28
I'm not breaking NDA to clarify what I've already stated in the past,

That's interesting, does you NDA specifically detail what things you can and can't talk about in a release, and do you get alerted when you're able to speak of specific things? All of my NDAs (sorry, not GW related) aren't very specific as to times and such, we just know we can talk about something when it hits the main stream, but even then, we're not supposed to go into any detail, and you have to know the breadth of what was shown vs, what hasn't been.

It's fun to get teased with snippets every once and awhile, I'm looking forward to seeing these grey knight models trickle in. :)

GreyishKnight
11-01-2011, 20:32
1. Expect a new codex which expands the fluff greatly.

Thanks Stick',

All the other points make logical sense to follow and the one highlighted above is something that has been there for the taking since their inception decades ago.
In a way I'm going to miss the enigmatic history of the Grey Knights. It suited them well. But with the continuing publication of Garro's adventures, it looks like it was going to be inevitable that we learn more of their origins. Let's just hope the writer really does a great job with the codex and makes us Grey Knight fans proud.

Glucksbar
11-01-2011, 20:52
2. Expect plastic Terminator GKs, in scale and compatiable with current plastic Teminators

ad 2) I just hope they won't get that overly hunched back and keep their upright pose.

ad 4) Since you're talking of minis in plural, I hope we see Stern AND Coteaz return.

Bobske
11-01-2011, 20:57
mmm,
I wanted my next army to be super elite
I have always found Grey Knights to be the coolest(after Nid of course), but to expensive to collect, I hate metal too
my 5.000 p nid horde is almost finished
my birthday is in April (lets ask for money because after 20 years in the hobby my family still won't buy the stuff :(
wait I'm getting my salary bonus in april
Very happy customer over here :)

Stickmonkey
11-01-2011, 21:05
That's interesting, does you NDA specifically detail what things you can and can't talk about in a release, and do you get alerted when you're able to speak of specific things? All of my NDAs (sorry, not GW related) aren't very specific as to times and such, we just know we can talk about something when it hits the main stream, but even then, we're not supposed to go into any detail, and you have to know the breadth of what was shown vs, what hasn't been.

It's fun to get teased with snippets every once and awhile, I'm looking forward to seeing these grey knight models trickle in. :)

I walk a fine line with regard to the specifics of my NDA, but so far have been given the leash to run with. When it turns into a noose, I guess I'll know.

And completely off topic, please ignore if you dont care for rumor politics, I just went back and saw the discussions in the now closed grey knight thread. My only comment to that is that I had no idea there was such polarization on the subject. DO NOT continue that debate here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I honestly have no personal beefs with anyone on warseer, no matter if they love or hate me, or what I bring to the forums. Peace and Love, brothers and sisters! :)

Cheers.

Ozybonza
11-01-2011, 21:34

PS: To my friends in Brisbane and Toowoomba, (esp: Baz, Lachlan, Wynter), and everyone at Battle Station. Stay safe, stay dry. And my God watch over your families. I wish I was there.

I just flew out of Brisbane yesterday....

To return home with GK being confirmed made a bad day tolerable :)

RedRen
11-01-2011, 22:56
3. Expect plastic power armor sized GKs, whether this armor is actually aegis, annointer, artificer, etc is a mute point, they will be in scale and compatible with all other standard sized marines
5. Expect a few "new" plastic kits and metal blisters (for the specific rumored kits see the numerous other threads, I'm not going to reveal anything specific here)

How different are these from the current models? Are they ornate and "blinged" out?

Ajatar
11-01-2011, 22:58
Man I can't wait to get my hands on this... But now I am faced with a hard choice... To start the army that got me into 40k eight years ago (DE) or start this one when the Codex comes out...

Ba'al Starslayer
12-01-2011, 00:43
I'd be happy with plastic versions of the current GK models; they already look awesome! Any advance on that would be amazing as long as they don't overdo it...

Valerian
12-01-2011, 02:19

It might very well be a retcon, if the new fluff has their founding during the Heresy. However, the Emporer's "gift" might simply have been that he set out a plan or set the wheels in motion then, that would lead to the eventual founding of Chapter 666 years later. We'll have to see. I definitely want to see expanded fluff, but I would hate for them to remove all of the mystery; some things are better left as an enigma for us to theorize and debate.

V

Jericho
12-01-2011, 02:37
I'd be happy with plastic versions of the current GK models; they already look awesome! Any advance on that would be amazing as long as they don't overdo it...
GW overdo it? In 40k? With a Space Marine chapter? Never... ;)

Ivellis
12-01-2011, 03:12
As long as I can also take an Inquisitor HQ and several different Inquisitor units I think I'll be starting Grey Knights. The Knights will satisfy my love of elite armies, knights and ornate armour. While the inquisitors will satisfy my need to give lots of unique character and fluff background to all my models.

Prefect
12-01-2011, 03:57
Isn't that article a copy and paste of the text in the original WD article that introduced the Grey Knights?

This could be why they comment on the Termi Armor.

Just occured to me while I was reading it.

Voss
12-01-2011, 05:43
Isn't that article a copy and paste of the text in the original WD article that introduced the Grey Knights?

This could be why they comment on the Termi Armor.

Just occured to me while I was reading it.

Can't be. GK were introduced in the first Realm of Chaos book (Slaves to Darkness), not a WD article. Moreover, terminator armour hadn't been introduced to the game yet.

Rick Blaine
12-01-2011, 08:40
That's like arguing that "Codex: Tau Empire" didn't supersede "Codex: Tau" when it was published.

Yes, it's the same thing in theory, but with one practical difference. There's no point for anyone to be using the old Tau codex whereas the old DH codex offers certain options the new GK won't, so to them it'll be worth arguing over.

synack
12-01-2011, 08:49
Anyone wanna pull out the old Sisters of Battle codex?

Ironhand
12-01-2011, 14:58
Yes, it's the same thing in theory, but with one practical difference. There's no point for anyone to be using the old Tau codex whereas the old DH codex offers certain options the new GK won't, so to them it'll be worth arguing over.

It's an argument they'll lose if they try it with my group.

ShurikenSerpent
12-01-2011, 15:29
It's an argument they'll lose if they try it with my group.

So you'd block someone from using an army they had bought, built and painted based on an older edition codex if they were unable to field it using a new one?

I'm glad I'm not part of your group.

Kurgash
12-01-2011, 15:34
So you'd block someone from using an army they had bought, built and painted based on an older edition codex if they were unable to field it using a new one?

Old codex for actual GK use, I'm sure he'd be fine with.

Using it strictly just to have mystics in a guard army? C'mon....

Obvious_Ninja
12-01-2011, 16:04
Sweet, hadn't been on in a while, but this made my New Year!!! :D

Emeraldw
12-01-2011, 16:07
Old codex for actual GK use, I'm sure he'd be fine with.

Using it strictly just to have mystics in a guard army? C'mon....

Which is about 90% of the reason anyone uses it anymore.

When the new book comes out, it will invalidate the old. Happens all the time. The only thing it might be used for is for people who run inquisition armies and don't like the new book for that.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
12-01-2011, 16:33

If they REALLY want an inquisitor and a mystic in their guard army, they can do what I do nowadays: Run your Daemonhammer toting inquisitor as Straken and take an Astropath mystic. Works surprisingly well, allows you to use your existing models and doesn't smack of cheese. Arguing that your guard army really truly needs an inquisitor (with minimal gear, of course) and two mystics on the table at all times for fluff reasons, for reals, doesn't fool anyone.

EDIT: As for the other inquisition options, we'll have to wait and see the new codex but it would be an uphill struggle. They would have to REALLY castrate the inquisition to make an argument for using the old dex. I'm not even talking Chaos from 3.5 to 4.0, as their options were still technically available in the codex, I mean Stormtroopers and Chimeras and whatnot would have to be completely absent. This is coming from a guy who got into Daemonhunters for the Ordo Malleus and has a Grey Knight detatchment, not the other way around.

Voss
12-01-2011, 17:04
I'm not even talking Chaos from 3.5 to 4.0, as their options were still technically available in the codex, I mean Stormtroopers and Chimeras and whatnot would have to be completely absent.

To be fair, you mean like cultists, basilisks and vehicles with sonic weapons?

N3p3nth3
12-01-2011, 17:22
I have been out of the game for a while, but have a bunch of metal GK termies stashed someplace. What exactly is the size relation change going to be? I have no idea what they've been doing with terminators of late (5-10 years...) ;)

Inquisitor_Tolheim
12-01-2011, 18:02
To be fair, you mean like cultists, basilisks and vehicles with sonic weapons?

Er... Yes, precisely. :)

Although since I'm too lazy to check, were basilisks ever in the codex proper or were they just a "see page X of the Imperial Guard Codex" unit? Because that would be more akin to the removal of allied units, which will almost certainly happen in the new Daemonhun... Grey Knights codex.

Ben
12-01-2011, 20:36
I think it was more the loss of cult troops, so no cult terminators but you could take cult marines that pissed everybody off. That and the codex just seems so lacking in flavour.

However 4th ed wasn't a brilliantly interesting edition, and the Ork codex was written with 5th ed in mind, whereas the Chaos codex was written to be even blander than the Dark Angels codex (where there were at least the Deathwing and Ravenwing options).

Hopefully Grey Knights will be fully awesome, and a new Chaos book with things like Cult Terminators, different army builds, fixed spawn, possessed and dreadnoughts and some more demon engines and better demon rules will be appearing on the scene next year, just in time for 6th edition (that has been confirmed for next year, hasn't it?).

I'll be building a Grey Knights force come April, but I'm digging out and painting my Worldeater contingent at the moment to field a Space Wolf counts as army. Should be fun, and will give me something to pit my GKs against come April.

onnotangu
13-01-2011, 03:44
Remakes of Stern and Coatez? SWEET! I hope they add better rules for those guys to make them worth taking. Currently Coatez sucks as being neither close combat nor ranged based.

Lord Khabal
13-01-2011, 15:46
What Im really looking forward to in this release is the TH+SS termies. I only have the NFW+SB minis.
Just please, please, please do not remove the psycannon option from inquisitors and B.captains and GMasters... I have all these converted :(

Shatterclaw
13-01-2011, 16:02
I'm not sure any one really knows the answer to that yet.. Only people who have seen the Plastic spures could really answer it. Going off of what was done for the normal marine Termies conversion to plastic.. which was they re did them in plastic, and there a great deal bigger then the former metal ones. Even the newer metal Termie captain is now dwarfed by the plastic termies.

I would say they would be about the same, or ten percent bigger. If memory serves me, the gray knight termies where larger then normal termies. Just speculation at this point, really. we should know in another month or so.

I have been out of the game for a while, but have a bunch of metal GK termies stashed someplace. What exactly is the size relation change going to be? I have no idea what they've been doing with terminators of late (5-10 years...) ;)

Shatterclaw
13-01-2011, 16:10
Okay, your looking at the first few codex that where in the transition to fifth,

what about the Space wolves, Blood angels and Dark Eldar codex? there not bland at all, far from it. Okay there is the naming thing with the first two.. but that can be lived with. I'm pretty sure we won't have Captain Grey, with his Psychic Grey powered Grey lances.. that aside..

Don't push for Sixth ed.... They made one mistake.. all be it a huge mistake.. they paided for it in reduced sales. Let them licked there wounds from that.

Thought if sixth comes out next year, There will be an organized assaulted on gee dub corp Hq..

I want to say that one of the designers has said there going to put out all the codex's.. before sixth.. also there has been a shift for the company from "gaming" to "models" "there a model company that has rules for a game.." was the new mantra last i heard.

I think it was more the loss of cult troops, so no cult terminators but you could take cult marines that pissed everybody off. That and the codex just seems so lacking in flavour.

However 4th ed wasn't a brilliantly interesting edition, and the Ork codex was written with 5th ed in mind, whereas the Chaos codex was written to be even blander than the Dark Angels codex (where there were at least the Deathwing and Ravenwing options).

Hopefully Grey Knights will be fully awesome, and a new Chaos book with things like Cult Terminators, different army builds, fixed spawn, possessed and dreadnoughts and some more demon engines and better demon rules will be appearing on the scene next year, just in time for 6th edition (that has been confirmed for next year, hasn't it?).

I'll be building a Grey Knights force come April, but I'm digging out and painting my Worldeater contingent at the moment to field a Space Wolf counts as army. Should be fun, and will give me something to pit my GKs against come April.

N3p3nth3
13-01-2011, 16:54
I'm not sure any one really knows the answer to that yet.. Only people who have seen the Plastic spures could really answer it. Going off of what was done for the normal marine Termies conversion to plastic.. which was they re did them in plastic, and there a great deal bigger then the former metal ones. Even the newer metal Termie captain is now dwarfed by the plastic termies.

I would say they would be about the same, or ten percent bigger. If memory serves me, the gray knight termies where larger then normal termies. Just speculation at this point, really. we should know in another month or so.

Yeah, I just picked up the WD with the Chaos battle report (from last spring, I believe), and at least within the Chaos troops, Abaddon was really dwarfed by the regular termies. Oh well, I'll see the difference in time, and then still have to decide if it affects me in any way... :)

Valerian
13-01-2011, 17:34
Remakes of Stern and Coatez? SWEET!

I seriously doubt the rumor that they'll be getting new models. What is the last metal special character model that was remade? Hmmm. I can't think of any. Njal got a new model, but it was because he now has a Terminator Runic Armour varient; his old 2nd Edition-era model is still valid for when he isn't wearing the Terminator version. Same thing with Marneus Calgar, he got a Terminator Armour version several years ago, but the really old 2nd Edition-era version in Power Armour was never updated.

Out of all of the really, really old special character models that were produced in the early '90's, I can't think of any that have been redone, with a single exception (that just came to me), which is Lemartes. There was a new Lemartes released last year, but I think they had to since the original was a complete embarrasment to the company.

The Stern and Coteaz models are actually quite good. There isn't anything wrong with either of them. Daemonhunters/Grey Knights players have bought both of those consistently, with no complaints. They don't need updates nearly as much as 90% of the old static models from the '90s.

If I am wrong, I am wrong, but I think the idea of an update for those two is almost laughable.

Valerian

AlexHolker
13-01-2011, 17:52
What is the last metal special character model that was remade?
Ikit Claw, being released tomorrow?

Lelith and Urien, released in November?

Azazyll
13-01-2011, 17:54
I seriously doubt the rumor that they'll be getting new models. What is the last metal special character model that was remade? Hmmm. I can't think of any. Njal got a new model, but it was because he now has a Terminator Runic Armour varient; his old 2nd Edition-era model is still valid for when he isn't wearing the Terminator version. Same thing with Marneus Calgar, he got a Terminator Armour version several years ago, but the really old 2nd Edition-era version in Power Armour was never updated.

Out of all of the really, really old special character models that were produced in the early '90's, I can't think of any that have been redone, with a single exception (that just came to me), which is Lemartes. There was a new Lemartes released last year, but I think they had to since the original was a complete embarrasment to the company.

The Stern and Coteaz models are actually quite good. There isn't anything wrong with either of them. Daemonhunters/Grey Knights players have bought both of those consistently, with no complaints. They don't need updates nearly as much as 90% of the old static models from the '90s.

If I am wrong, I am wrong, but I think the idea of an update for those two is almost laughable.

Valerian

Both of the special characters released for the first DE wave are remakes. Both Ghazkull and Yarrick were remade to replace their extremely outdated models. Your point is well taken though. The first two could be indicative of the complete overhaul of DE, and the other two may have been the first special characters for WH40k, or at least for their respective armies. Most special characters were made to a higher standard to begin with, and have weathered very well. I'm still proud to have the Phoenix Lords, and they were before I started

Brother Weasel
13-01-2011, 17:55
Both of the special characters released for the first DE wave are remakes. Both Ghazkull and Yarrick were remade to replace their extremely outdated models. Your point is well taken though. The first two could be indicative of the complete overhaul of DE, and the other two may have been the first special characters for WH40k, or at least for their respective armies. Most special characters were made to a higher standard to begin with, and have weathered very well. I'm still proud to have the Phoenix Lords, and they were before I started

lemartes was redone as well (as is stated in the post above, happens)

Kroot Lord
13-01-2011, 18:00
lemartes was redone as well

Did you read the post you quoted?

Valerian
13-01-2011, 18:09
Both of the special characters released for the first DE wave are remakes. Both Ghazkull and Yarrick were remade to replace their extremely outdated models.

Sorry, I should have made it clear in the original post - I was only thinking about Marines, specifically. I don't know anything about the Dark Eldar (old or new), so haven't paid them any attention, and wasn't even trying to think about Orks, or IG characters.

Regardless, I think y'all get my point. I very seriously doubt a Stern or Coteaz remake, for the reasons already stated. A model has to be exceptionally poor, or completely no longer fit with the current line for the given army (i.e. the complete revamp of both Orks years ago, and Dark Eldar recently) to get a remake.

V

razmuz92
I have waited ages for this, it looks like this is going to be a good reason to return to the hobby. I am so *********** exited!

Anyone who knows when the rumors use to pop up? (rules, images etc.)

must know. NOW.

Brother Weasel
Did you read the post you quoted?

what a guy can't miss a few words quoted in a other post? jeesh

dragonet111
13-01-2011, 18:18
A remake for Stern why not but I really like Coteaz http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1110103&rootCatGameStyle= I don't think it needs an update.

GreyishKnight
13-01-2011, 18:45
The models are fine. An example of the rules needing the upgrade more than the model here.
Grey Knights defintely need stronger special characters to bolster their profile. If they're similar in stature to the BA then I'll be proud enough. :cool:

rodmillard
13-01-2011, 19:02
A remake for Stern why not but I really like Coteaz http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1110103&rootCatGameStyle= I don't think it needs an update.

A re-pack, maybe, so you don't have to buy all the retinue to get the SC...

TBH I would imagine that will be the case with Stern as well (not remade, just re-released). By all accounts there are a lot more SCs to come, and it wouldn't make sense to remake the two existing models before the new ones get released (may even help sales of the newer figs...)

Stickmonkey
13-01-2011, 19:34
Surprised anyone would think Brother-Captain "Stop, In-the-Name-of-Love" Stern should not or would not get a new model. For models in Terminator armor, he is the smallest still available. GK terminators started out slightly larger than their vanilla marine brothers, and over the years have shrunk dramatically only thru their brothers growth.

Without confirming or denying BC Stern as a mini, wouldnt any of you expect a new model would be a thousand times sweeter if done as a character model today in scale with any plastic GK terminators that would also be released? I could virtually guarantee the mini would exude Bad-Ass-ery, and hopefully have the rules to back it up... The sculptors today are so much more skilled, even if it comes via CAD assistance, than the early years.

Whether a model stands the test of time is not the same as if the model could benefit from a remake.

By comparison, Coteaz is still in scale with other power armored models produced today...

laudarkul
13-01-2011, 19:43
Without confirming or denying BC Stern as a mini, wouldnt any of you expect a new model would be a thousand times sweeter if done as a character model today in scale with any plastic GK terminators that would also be released?

:D...Got it. And waiting;)..

AndrewGPaul
13-01-2011, 21:03
Surprised anyone would think Brother-Captain "Stop, In-the-Name-of-Love" Stern should not or would not get a new model. For models in Terminator armor, he is the smallest still available. GK terminators started out slightly larger than their vanilla marine brothers, and over the years have shrunk dramatically only thru their brothers growth.

I bet he's still bigger than Logan Grimnar and the Space Marine Captain in Terminator Armour, both of whom are wearing armour scaled to match the old 2nd edition Terminators. If they haven't had a resculpt in ten years, I doubt Stern will.

Morlu
14-01-2011, 06:55
Hey guys,

Don't think its been mentioned in this thread or the last but over in the storm raven thread ancient god claims to have seen the sprues and confirms that there are GK icons present in the Kit

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5238572&postcount=906

he goes on to describe them slightly

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5238616&postcount=909

I am imagining them to be like the god specific symbols in the chaos tank sets or the chapter symbols on the drop pod etc.

We were all pretty sure the storm raven was going to be in the book but this is a very nice confirmation :)

Lord Khabal
14-01-2011, 09:01
@Morlu: well, it is also nice to know that they havent changed the GK simbol :)

Although I (obviously) havent read the codex yet, Im failing to understand what is the point of the SR in the GK book... I wonder if it can carry the dreadknight?
However, IF the SR has GK crew, is psychic with that +2AV power, then I'll buy 3!!! :P

Valek
14-01-2011, 10:25
[QUOTE=Lord Khabal;5241404However, IF the SR has GK crew, is psychic with that +2AV power, then I'll buy 3!!! :P[/QUOTE]

I second that, but i doubt that be the case, that would make the raven quite op.
I just hope the model is convertable in construction, so you can make something distinct out of it.

GreyishKnight
14-01-2011, 11:56
Without confirming or denying BC Stern as a mini, wouldnt any of you expect a new model would be a thousand times sweeter if done as a character model today in scale with any plastic GK terminators that would also be released? I could virtually guarantee the mini would exude Bad-Ass-ery, and hopefully have the rules to back it up... The sculptors today are so much more skilled, even if it comes via CAD assistance, than the early years.

Whether a model stands the test of time is not the same as if the model could benefit from a remake.

By comparison, Coteaz is still in scale with other power armored models produced today...

Looks like the current Stern model will become a regular GM/BC/dwarf-like stand-in. Thanks stickmonkey. :D

To be honest, Stern isn't a 'Bad-Ass' at the moment. He currently stands in a niche role, fitting between GMs and BCs. He isn't even that iconic and nearly lost a duel to a daemon(prince) while an (admittidely top) Inquisitor dispatched a bigger, bad-ass Bloodthirster with much more, relative ease. :(
That's fair enough but after all that I don't know why the current codex writer is pushing to practically retcon his role to make him more awesome (as rumoured) rather than create a new character altogether to fit the 'superman of the chapter' role. I'm guessing this is because he is the only original GK character in the current codex and thus is the one GW feels GK players admire most. Oh dear... :rolleyes:

As for Coteaz, his model is still the stuff! As a human you'd expect him to be shorter anyway. ;)

rodmillard
14-01-2011, 12:57
[QUOTE=Lord Khabal;5241404Although I (obviously) havent read the codex yet, Im failing to understand what is the point of the SR in the GK book... I wonder if it can carry the dreadknight?[/QUOTE]

Might be the reason to take conventional dreadnoughts instead...

Vhalyar
14-01-2011, 13:11
Without confirming or denying BC Stern as a mini
You already did in 2010.

SamaNagol
14-01-2011, 15:06
Looks like the current Stern model will become a regular GM/BC/dwarf-like stand-in. Thanks stickmonkey. :D

To be honest, Stern isn't a 'Bad-Ass' at the moment. He currently stands in a niche role, fitting between GMs and BCs. He isn't even that iconic and nearly lost a duel to a daemon(prince) while an (admittidely top) Inquisitor dispatched a bigger, bad-ass Bloodthirster with much more, relative ease. :(
That's fair enough but after all that I don't know why the current codex writer is pushing to practically retcon his role to make him more awesome (as rumoured) rather than create a new character altogether to fit the 'superman of the chapter' role. I'm guessing this is because he is the only original GK character in the current codex and thus is the one GW feels GK players admire most. Oh dear... :rolleyes:

As for Coteaz, his model is still the stuff! As a human you'd expect him to be shorter anyway. ;)

I don't know if you are familiar with Warmachine, but consider the Stern in the Daemonhunters Codex 'pStern' and the new one as 'eStern'

It will just be Stern further along into his career as a Captain in the Grey Knights. A Grey Knight Captain should be the equivalent of a Chapter Master of a normal marine chapter in terms of abilities and status anyway.

And they completely ret-conned Lemartes' story, and you can't say that wasn't badass!

synack
14-01-2011, 15:07
I thought Stern was technically dead in the fluff?

dragonet111
14-01-2011, 15:13
I thought Stern was technically dead in the fluff?

Last time I heard of him was in the Apocalypse rulebook where he killed Abaddon in a battle report :)

GreyishKnight
14-01-2011, 16:38
I don't know if you are familiar with Warmachine, but consider the Stern in the Daemonhunters Codex 'pStern' and the new one as 'eStern'

It will just be Stern further along into his career as a Captain in the Grey Knights. A Grey Knight Captain should be the equivalent of a Chapter Master of a normal marine chapter in terms of abilities and status anyway.

And they completely ret-conned Lemartes' story, and you can't say that wasn't badass!
Never played it (as interesting as it looks) though I can understand the concept.

I actually really enjoy it when GW move story arcs along. It rarely happens enough. My problem is with how his role could be negated to make way for the fashionable trend of superhero SCs that are currently doing rounds. Stern works well as an underdog-level GK, destined to be harrassed by a daemon for the rest of his life. It wouldn't really be plausible if he becomes Sir uber-knight who pwns all daemons he encounters.

I thought Stern was technically dead in the fluff? Nop. That was a rumour that came out roughly the same time as the uber-Stern rumour. Of course we'll find out in April whether he really is suped-up, dead or both...

...mmm Super-zombie Stern.... :p

Ominous Anonymous
14-01-2011, 17:12
IIRC the rumors about Stern being dead were also part of the group of rumors that included NFW being Rending in addition to S6, an upgrade character for the Stormraven that gave it Scout, and being entirely false because the guy admitted to it within a week of posting it. Was funny to see everyone taking it seriously for a while, I think those rumors even made it into the OP of one of the previous Grey Knight rumor threads.

Dooks Dizzo
14-01-2011, 17:44
I agree with you on all points except one Sticky. Abbadon is the smallest Terminator armored character currently :)

Stern is practically a giant comparatively.

For models in Terminator armor, he is the smallest still available

Mr. Ultra
14-01-2011, 18:36
I think the current Stern background is dull and absolutely don't fit in the image of a great GK hero. Sincelery, Stern is a loser in his current incarnation. A retconned and super-badass Stern would be more than welcomed.

Brother Dragon XIII
14-01-2011, 19:05
I think for his pt cost, Stern is already a great character. His stats are currently not far off a GM but he's certainly a bad *** compared to the other Brother Captain. I'm hoping, however, that GW moves his story along a little and he becomes even better though. Hopefully, though, there will still be a unique BC that fits between the GM and regular BC in terms of points and value.

harlekin
14-01-2011, 19:28
To be honest, I think it's nice to have SCs with great strenght but also disadvantages, at best described with their back ground.
Maybe he should be badass in contemprary terms (I would welcome that too, epic heroes are, well EPIC) but he also should have a slightly less badass-nemesis.... of Malantai :P

But okay, maybe the hole SC-landscape dioesn't fit in that concept, so an badass-but- nerfing-your-army hero for grey knights would be slightly unfair in front of the other's armies "just-badass-heroes"

GreyishKnight
14-01-2011, 19:30
I think the current Stern background is dull and absolutely don't fit in the image of a great GK hero. Sincelery, Stern is a loser in his current incarnation. A retconned and super-badass Stern would be more than welcomed.
Why not do away with his boring yet uptight name as well then? It would be easier/more efficient just to kill him off, rumour or not and stop wasting valuable codex space...

Being more serious, Grey Knights deserve to have some great characters too but if they're all dynamite without some variety to even things out then that's what'll be - boring and monotonous.

Draconis
14-01-2011, 19:39
Last time I heard of him was in the Apocalypse rulebook where he killed Abaddon in a battle report :)

That was in the campaign. One game had a battle report with GK allied with some other marine chapter and necrons versus two chaos players and dark eldar or something like that. It was one stores bat rep where Chaos had almost won but Stern and a squad of GK termies finally rolled their reserves and ported onto Abaddon's titan/thing that blows open the cadian gate and killed him and his retinue.

Ben
14-01-2011, 20:01
I'm interested to see what GK characters we get. Could we see the Chapter Master of the Grey Knights, who will make Abaddon and Logan look like little girls?

And people keep saying dwarf like, but my metal GKs are the same size as the new plastic terminators, and they both tower over Rogue Trader/space hulk terminators. They lose a little height for not having the back plate cover their heads, but they are still a comparable size.

Will the new plastic GKs be bigger than the current plastic terminators?

Glucksbar
14-01-2011, 20:12
For gods sake I just hope they keep the look of the then old models. I don't like that big back plate anyways.

I really hope for some decent news about the list. I don't know if I should get a Landraider or Stormraven or both. Or if I should buy a Ven Dread, or hope for a first wave plastic Dreadknight (and cool rules for him - cool, not overpowered)
Terminators and PAGK will definatly get in my basket ;)

Not sure about the Ven Dread and the Landraider (perhaps GK won't need it.

Ben
14-01-2011, 20:27
Exactly the same here. I want to finish painting up a couple of GKT squads and 3 PAGK squads before the codex is released, and having a firm idea of whether there will be specific dreadnought bits, or what Storm Raven options you can have, will mean I could put those together and get them painted before the codex is released.

Does anyone know if there will be a GK battalion box?

killy666
14-01-2011, 21:11
Does anyone know if there will be a GK battalion box?

I think it won't, coz it's an small army. They won't be interested on making it cheaper to us.

AlexHolker
14-01-2011, 21:17
I think it won't, coz it's an small army. They won't be interested on making it cheaper to us.
I think it will, but not immediately. We might get one with the second wave releases.

Ironhand
14-01-2011, 21:52
I'm not buying anything until I've read and analyzed the Codex. I'm almost certainly buying some GKT, a Storm Raven, and some of the FW Land Raider parts, but beyond that I don't know.

Valerian
15-01-2011, 05:24
I don't know if you are familiar with A Grey Knight Captain should be the equivalent of a Chapter Master of a normal marine chapter in terms of abilities and status anyway.

Hell, with the exception of Orbital Bombardment, a regular codex Chapter Captain is the equivalent of a Chapter Master in terms of abilities (if not status). I'd be happy if the new BC Stern is at least as good as Ragnar, Seth, Khan, etc.

Well, considering that Lemartes was demoted from being the head Chaplain of the Blood Angels, and some new guy took his place...that's a little un-badass.

Either way, I'm still wagering he (Stern) won't get a new model. If Stickmonkey is right, and he does, then I'll find some appropriate penance for myself.

V

GreyishKnight
15-01-2011, 08:09
Thanks Valerian. The gripe here is not with BC Stern being SM Captain-level. He is, has been, and fits that level very well. I wouldn't expect anything less of a GK SC, unless they were maybe an upgrade character of sorts. However, the rumoured level of power he'll gain apparently borders on Mephiston-levels, which seems somewhat jarring. Don't get me wrong, a GK character or two on a Mephiston/Sanguinor level of bad-assness would be amazing but for an established warhorse like Stern? Seriously? :wtf:

Anyway, this is getting too ranty, especially for something only rumoured. The sensible thing to do would be to wait it out to see if the rumours are true and see if the fluff does justice to the changes.

MajorWesJanson
15-01-2011, 08:22
Thanks Valerian. The gripe here is not with BC Stern being SM Captain-level. He is, has been, and fits that level very well. I wouldn't expect anything less of a GK SC, unless they were maybe an upgrade character of sorts. However, the rumoured level of power he'll gain apparently borders on Mephiston-levels, which seems somewhat jarring. Don't get me wrong, a GK character or two on a Mephiston/Sanguinor level of bad-assness would be amazing but for an established warhorse like Stern? Seriously? :wtf:

Anyway, this is getting too ranty, especially for something only rumoured. The sensible thing to do would be to wait it out to see if the rumours are true and see if the fluff does justice to the changes.

I wonder if Stern will be like Culln or Lysander, and get a promotion in this book to GM, where more power would make more sense...

Ben
15-01-2011, 13:32
Stern isn't exactly awesome in the background as it is, simply coming up with an uber fisting greater demons to death character a la Calgar and keeping Stern as a mid level HQ choice at around 150 points might be better.

dragonet111
15-01-2011, 13:41
Maybe we will see the rules for Aurellian the Brother-captain during the First War for Armageddon. He was pretty badass to manage to banish Angron, He died doing it but this is just a detail:)

Iverald
15-01-2011, 14:17
Maybe Justicar Inquisitor Alaric? ;)

SamaNagol
15-01-2011, 14:19
I would love to see a model which looks like that painting off Deviant Art of the Grand Master with the Power Fist and grey hair

MajorWesJanson
15-01-2011, 14:23
Maybe we will see the rules for Aurellian the Brother-captain during the First War for Armageddon. He was pretty badass to manage to banish Angron, He died doing it but this is just a detail:)

I would love to see him. Lots of potential fluff, as the first war of Armegeddon will likely be a major event in the codex.

Besides, Tycho and Eldrad are dead but that doesn't stop anyone...

laudarkul
15-01-2011, 16:35
I would love to see a model which looks like that painting off Deviant Art of the Grand Master with the Power Fist and grey hair

Definitely I'll want more art like those from DA...
What will be the cost for a PAGK and GKT kits?

Ben
15-01-2011, 18:34
I imagine the same as the respective Space Wolf kits.

SamaNagol
15-01-2011, 18:59
I imagine you will only get 5 GK in Power Armour per box though, with all the special weapons options and a nice looking Justicar.

Xeones
15-01-2011, 19:41
I imagine you will only get 5 GK in Power Armour per box though, with all the special weapons options and a nice looking Justicar.

You're probably right about that. And I'm guessing if you are right, it'll clock in at about $33 USD like the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company sprues

Ragnar_Blackmane
15-01-2011, 23:51

Hey, wasn't that painting ordered and bought by GW for artwork reasons 1 1/2 years ago (before Sticky even released his first GK rumours)? Would be awesome if they used it for the Cover of the new Dex, I believe most of us are sick of the cartoonish covers of the IG and BA codices...

SamaNagol
16-01-2011, 00:46
I dont think they will use it tbh. Unless they suddenly decide to introduce GKs with Jump Packs completely without us ever hearing any rumours at all about them

Iverald
16-01-2011, 03:38
StTheo's gallery: http://sttheo.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48

While he has awesome ideas and truly mad skills, some of the poses are a bit off and his grandmaster is truly gigantic in comaprison with other marines.

As to the new unit concepts, I refuse to believe that their uniqueness will be diluted by introducing vanilla elements (if in the end any are present). I'd like to think that they still retain some of the usual chapter organisation and thus allow a number of diverse builds.

big squig
16-01-2011, 04:47
Cool for grey knight players I guess. I still think this is a silly idea for a codex though. A proper inquistion book would go so much further. This is like releasing a codex for plague zombie infestations and nothing else.

Drain
16-01-2011, 05:36
I have a friend that mains Grey Knights. I can't wait to show him this!

monkeyking
16-01-2011, 06:34
Cool for grey knight players I guess. I still think this is a silly idea for a codex though. A proper inquistion book would go so much further. This is like releasing a codex for plague zombie infestations and nothing else.

The problem is the Inquisition is primarily an organization for investigation, hence the need to call in actual armed forces to handle the problem if it moves beyond what the Inquisitor and retinue can handle. It's been a while since I've read through the fluff, but weren't ISTs simply for guarding fixed installations and bodyguards for Inquisitors?

The Grey Knights, being the Chamber Militant of the Inquisition, is the one that should get the codex, and having a few Inquisitorial units scattered with in as addition support makes more sense then an Inquisition-based codex.

TheRatsInTheWalls
16-01-2011, 07:35
...It's been a while since I've read through the fluff, but weren't ISTs simply for guarding fixed installations and bodyguards for Inquisitors?

The Grey Knights, being the Chamber Militant of the Inquisition, is the one that should get the codex, and having a few Inquisitorial units scattered with in as addition support makes more sense then an Inquisition-based codex.

If I recall correctly, they also perform the role of S.W.A.T. teams. It would make sense to have armies composed solely of IST but only for smaller games. Other Imperial forces would have to show up for anything bigger than a light skirmish.

andrewbwm
16-01-2011, 08:15
I really hope you can have a GK only army using the new codex. I'm not that big of an Inquisition fan.

Voss
16-01-2011, 09:19
Nah, no chance. Codex Grey Knights is going to be heavy on the radical inquisitors and have mandatory Inquisitor-led stormtrooper and Imperial Guard squads.

@Rats- most 40K games are a light skirmish. Only a few armies can put more than 100 models on the table in a normal game, and move into the rarified realms of moderate skirmish. For the scale of the Imperium, apocalypse games barely clear the realm of heavy skirmish.

Crazy Ivan
16-01-2011, 10:25
Nah, no chance. Codex Grey Knights is going to be heavy on the radical inquisitors and have mandatory Inquisitor-led stormtrooper and Imperial Guard squads.

:confused: While I would like to see Inquisitorial Storm Troopers in the codex (and plastic models, especially), I can't see Imperial Guard squads in the codex (best left to Apocalypse, IMO), and radical Inquisitors wouldn't go very well with Grey Knights, background-wise...

NixonAsADaemonPrince
16-01-2011, 10:55
:confused: While I would like to see Inquisitorial Storm Troopers in the codex (and plastic models, especially), I can't see Imperial Guard squads in the codex (best left to Apocalypse, IMO), and radical Inquisitors wouldn't go very well with Grey Knights, background-wise...

I think he was being sarcastic.

Crazy Ivan
16-01-2011, 10:57
Ah. Hm. Well, that would make sense. :shifty:

Please ignore me then... :o

Starscream24
16-01-2011, 11:21
I really hope you can have a GK only army using the new codex. I'm not that big of an Inquisition fan.

You could in the Daemonhunters Codex; A 'Grey Knight Hero' is a HQ selection.

Given this codex is to be named 'Grey Knights', its stands to reason there will be a GK HQ option (probably more like this is a GK army, but for some variation you could have a Inquisitor if you wanted) :)

Cheers

Dave

Lord Lorne Walkier
16-01-2011, 11:50
I just hope my =][= lord can have a force sword, Storm Shield, and Terminator Armour.......all else is meh..... oh and a Land Raider Transport....

Dux
16-01-2011, 12:00
I just hope my =][= lord can have a force sword, Storm Shield, and Terminator Armour.......all else is meh..... oh and a Land Raider Transport....

I hope that too. I want to use the awesome Hector Rex, even if i'm not allowed to use IA-rules. I would even use it as a Grandmaster if I have to. :cool:

GreyishKnight
16-01-2011, 12:44
Hmm, Inquisitors do look cool all geared up for a CQC ruckus. I love that picture of Hector Rex stood infront of a company of Grey Knights on Vraks. It's a shame that currently Inquisitors just can't do assault and that Rex is uselessly over-expensive. The problem being, that current DH Inquisitors are too reliant on upgrades and extra wargear, which in themselves are too geared towards being daemon-specific and nothing else.

We haven't had any news regarding the changes to the Inquisitor's capabilities, only their retinues and other unit allowances. But anything that will increase their own battle capabilities in this respect would really help. Seeming as their wargear is normally based on what GK/SM/IG already have changing their psychic abilities would be a good way to go.

Dux
16-01-2011, 13:13
Lets hope Lord Inquisitors get at least WS 5 and St4 or other stuff to help him wound big things. At the moment i only take one for fluff. He never wounds anything, thats worth using a forceweapon against, with his S3.

GreyishKnight
16-01-2011, 13:28
Most Inquisitors are only human so I can't see S4 or T4 by default, though going by the latest trends WS5/BS5 looks more likely imo.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 14:23
i think WS and BS 5 is a given, but then maybe they will get stat buffs depending on the henchmen they have, like in the current dex, possibly taking warrior henchmen will increase strenght... or there mite b a pschic power, hammer hand maybe or a varient that allows them to still wield weapons.

andrewbwm
16-01-2011, 14:43

Soothing sarcasm, possibly the best kind.

senso
16-01-2011, 15:01
Apologies if this has been posted before - the other rumour thread got locked, and I haven't seen it discussed in this thread so far, but in the link below, the user confirms the aliens that created digital weapons (Joacero?, Jochero?) will be in as a heavy support choice (around 7mins in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmLFsC3Ok4

I thought the idea was crazy, but given we got giant wolf riding space marines recently, it shouldn't come as a surprise that GW may introduce weapon forging space apes...

Messiah
16-01-2011, 15:54
StTheo's gallery: http://sttheo.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48

While he has awesome ideas and truly mad skills, some of the poses are a bit off and his grandmaster is truly gigantic in comaprison with other marines..

Too spiky for my tastes. Cool ideas though.

Apologies if this has been posted before - the other rumour thread got locked, and I haven't seen it discussed in this thread so far, but in the link below, the user confirms the aliens that created digital weapons (Joacero?, Jochero?) will be in as a heavy support choice (around 7mins in):

I thought the idea was crazy, but given we got giant wolf riding space marines recently, it shouldn't come as a surprise that GW may introduce weapon forging space apes...

Wait, what? Grey Knights cavorting with Xenos? That would be a lot odd.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
16-01-2011, 16:02

That strikes me as... Unlikely. I hardly have any rumor contacts of my own but the idea that the most xenophobic force in a xenophibic race would bring aliens to the front line is highly suspect.

Kervin
16-01-2011, 16:06
yeah I don't see that Joacero thing is way to far out there. And considering the fact that he is saying that the codex is rumored to be out in the old window and now we know that they are coming out in April. I listed to what he said but I will not hold my breath about them.

Emeraldw
16-01-2011, 16:13
I also have a hard time believing that aliens are in the codex.

But, if you are trying to create new armies for the codex, introducing subjugated races makes sense.

Azazyll
16-01-2011, 16:15
Still better than the BA codex cover, and mr tiny head with the double jointed neck

edit: somehow got the page mixed up - this made more sense two pages back. Also, while I don't see it happening in a million years, I would love to see Jokaero in the codex. Maybe they'll at least get in the fluff.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 16:21
i REALY doubt the aliens thing...digital weapons were a tiny mention in the wargear section of the codex, seems completly random to expand that section into a whole new unit of space apes equiped with mutating weapons, the link just seems way too weak :/

Iverald
16-01-2011, 16:23
Orangutans? AFAIK Terry Pratchett is not hired by GW (though it would be wone of the better ideas :angel:). Yet, if this pans out, I'll model one of my Justicars/Inquisitors as Rincewind with the obligatory "Wizzard" on his hat.

That strikes me as... Unlikely. I hardly have any rumor contacts of my own but the idea that the most xenophobic force in a xenophibic race would bring aliens to the front line is highly suspect.

IMO, that would be suspicious with Ordo Xenos, however no-one knows what the Radicals can come up with... :rolleyes: Dark Angels are also highly xenophobic.
Jokaero would only fit well with Tau or Rouge Trader armies.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 16:33
i dont buy it, if its in the book i will seriously question my veiws on how far GW are willing to go to create new units for us to buy, especialy if they're good, nothing IMO could be more un-GreyKnight then orangutangs with guns >>

GreyishKnight
16-01-2011, 16:38
I can just picture it - A posh and cavilier cad of a Grey Knight urgently demanding that his armourer pass him a nemesis force weapon only to have some orangutan screech and throw its dung at him instead. :D

Elhier
16-01-2011, 16:42
all i'm gunna say is that it would spoil a release i am very much lookiing forward to :(

Glucksbar
16-01-2011, 16:52
Well, as long as GW doesn't turn those apes into techpriests from Mars, I'm not believing it. Let's face it. Less focus on Inquisition AND allied Xenos? Sounds unbelievable.

Crazy Ivan
16-01-2011, 17:06
Agreed. If so, people will probably go completely Librarian-poo. :p

I could see a mention of Jokaero-manufactured digital weapons as Inquisitor wargear, however? Supposing Radicals with Daemonhosts are still in*, I'd deem that within the realm of possibility...

* Which is just a guess, in no way a confirmation or even a rumour, by the way...

Elhier
16-01-2011, 17:33
so suppose they end up in the codex, what role will they play in the army? the only role i can think of is to give grey knights a devastator squad eqiuvalent and there have got to be better, more fluff sound ways of doing it than monkeys.

another thing; where does any mention of these aliens come from, first i heard of them having names ect is here... in the current dex it jus says their made by aliens, full stop :S

razmuz92
16-01-2011, 17:37

WTF, the guy claimes that the nemesis force weapon have been nerfed from S6 to S4. Thats just insane.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 17:40
it is :/ but GK can take thunder hammers and storm shields... but i wud choose NF weps any day... :/

Kervin
16-01-2011, 17:41
WTF, the guy claimes that the nemesis force weapon have been nerfed from S6 to S4. Thats just insane.

Well that part has been known for a while, but one thing that I remembered was that he kept calling them C'tan Phase Swords, hmmmm mix stuff up much. :shifty:

Oberon
16-01-2011, 17:42

He also claimed that DE dark lances would be S9 ap1 (repeatedly), don't panic.

EDIT: S6 CCW or S4 force weapon, hmm...

Elhier
16-01-2011, 17:52
hope ur right, the force weapon is beginning to seem kinda pointless with the number of units becoming eternal warrior, just becomes a over expencive power weapon

Brother Dragon XIII
16-01-2011, 18:30
Well, it's only overpriced if GW fully adds the cost from PW to FW into the unit. However, I think the most likely result is that the unit as a whole will act as an orcestra (as they do in codex DH) and only the BC can use the FW power. If this is the case then the cost will essentially be figured as PW with only one FW for the BC. Ultimately, though, it really doesn't matter what they have provided GW properly balances the army against the other armies.

Edit: I'm not saying in the current DH codex the BC can use the FW power but that all powers are used by him with the rest of the unit acting as orcestra. To make my point through analogy: every GK is a psyker, however, only the BC can use the psychic power and thus GW didn't have to include the cost of 10 psykers in a 10 man but rather only had to add the cost of 1 psyker to that squad (the BC).

scarletsquig
16-01-2011, 18:34
Aliens in the army just wouldn't work with current mad-xenophobic background.

Would be perfect for an Ordo Xenos faction, or Codex Deathwatch, possibly as slaves, but I just don't see it for grey knights.

AlexHolker
16-01-2011, 18:41
Would be perfect for an Ordo Xenos faction, or Codex Deathwatch, but I just don't see it for grey knights.
Even there, it would be a mistake to assume that the sentient space apes are the best (or even adequate) choice for the position. It's not the 1980s any more, I'm sure GW can come up with (or steal :p) a better concept than that.

Oberon
16-01-2011, 18:46
Well, it's only overpriced if GW fully adds the cost from PW to FW into the unit.

Regular grey knights have only "normal" nemesis force weapons currently, S6 but they do not go through armour. So the move would be from CCW to FW, while dropping the str from 6 to 4 at the same time. Against space marines it would be an improvement, but what about others, and at what cost?

synack
16-01-2011, 19:18
He also claimed that DE dark lances would be S9 ap1 (repeatedly), don't panic.

EDIT: S6 CCW or S4 force weapon, hmm...

Just want to point out that DE did in fact get S9 AP2 lance weapons. They're on the voidraven. Yes, it's AP2, not AP1, but it's pretty damn close.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 19:19
against any horde army,nids orks this will be rly annoying, and against eldar of both kinds it will be an anoyance... but no longer will mr average gray knight b able to assault a WL and spam a victory :(

even +1 strength wud b nice...

synack
16-01-2011, 19:32
against any horde army,nids orks this will be rly annoying, and against eldar of both kinds it will be an anoyance... but no longer will mr average gray knight b able to assault a WL and spam a victory :(

even +1 strength wud b nice...

They are rumored to be able to upgrade the options on the NFW, so either +2S, +2I or a unknown 3rd option (my guess +2A).

Elhier
16-01-2011, 19:38
i realy hope so, being able to wound T4 models on a 2+ was a god send, but more importantly i feel its part of what makes them compensate for thier points cost, they didnt get power weapons so that strength was needed to allow weight of attacks to win through, mite not b so great now...

but i have to say this and the space apes is my only niggle with the rumours so far, i rly cant wait to b able to play my grey knights semi competively again nd the thought of new plastic minitures is jus beautiful :D

Irbian
16-01-2011, 19:49
Im worried about "how to fight hordes" with GK.

Korraz
16-01-2011, 19:55
You still have Storm Bolters and two attacks on your basic knight. From the current state, S4 Force wouldn't be that much of a difference, as you get still swamped, regardless of S6.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 19:56
atm its looking like mass incinerator spam and thn abusing the supposed in game no scatter teleport, so flame and run away nd flame and run away...

though possibly this GK MC dred thing may have a cool anti horde weapon ^^

monkeyking
16-01-2011, 19:56
i realy hope so, being able to wound T4 models on a 2+ was a god send, but more importantly i feel its part of what makes them compensate for thier points cost, they didnt get power weapons so that strength was needed to allow weight of attacks to win through, mite not b so great now...

but i have to say this and the space apes is my only niggle with the rumours so far, i rly cant wait to b able to play my grey knights semi competively again nd the thought of new plastic minitures is jus beautiful :D

Uh, the current rumors say that NFW are all force weapons, and all Force weapons are power weapons. For the most part, Force weapons trump +2S in most situations, like against MeQs say, not to mention the added benefit of denying FNP.

Advance response to the "But, force weapons don't make sense against daemons..." response: I don't care.

Elhier
16-01-2011, 19:59
Uh, the current rumors say that NFW are all force weapons, and all Force weapons are power weapons. For the most part, Force weapons trump +2S in most situations, like against MeQs say, not to mention the added benefit of denying FNP.

Advance response to the "But, force weapons don't make sense against daemons..." response: I don't care.

lol, i get ur point, i think i will make my final judgement when we get the dex, atm there are jus too many unknowns such as point cost ect.

TheRatsInTheWalls
16-01-2011, 20:03
@Rats- most 40K games are a light skirmish. Only a few armies can put more than 100 models on the table in a normal game, and move into the rarified realms of moderate skirmish. For the scale of the Imperium, apocalypse games barely clear the realm of heavy skirmish.

Forgive me for being unclear. I had meant by 40k standards, as in something on the scale of the old Combat Patrol rules.

Well that part has been known for a while, but one thing that I remembered was that he kept calling them C'tan Phase Swords, hmmmm mix stuff up much. :shifty:

While I'm pretty sure that was stated with knowing sarcasm, certainty never hurt anyone. He's talking about the assassin weapon which currently ignores invulnerable saves.