PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new skaven warmachine(s)

Grimstonefire
11-01-2011, 16:40
Looking at the various ways you can build the warp lightning cannon/ plagueclaw catapult, I realise that it's going to be great fun for skaven players.

So many ways to build them, without even doing basic conversions. I can think of 8 different ways.

As an example, I don't like how tall the WLC model is on the website, so I've done a computer mock up of how I will build mine, simply by flipping the cannon part upside down.

It wouldn't be that hard to scrape off the wood grain either, making the machine entirely metal.

Torpedo Vegas
11-01-2011, 16:45
I don't care for it, is too...I dunno, I think it just looks awkward. I think it looks like someone kit-bashed a screaming bell and an old lightning cannon.

Haravikk
11-01-2011, 16:53
I think they're okay, though I did really like the old design of the warp lightning cannon and had hoped to just see a bigger, plastic version of that.

Still, it's a decent model, I think it looks better as the plagueclaw catapult, but I'd probably build mine with the sides placed as shown in that picture, and painted to have the counterweight as some nondescript regular stone.

TheZombieSquig
11-01-2011, 17:58
Mine arrived earlier today, along with the magic cards. I really like the kit as it ties in well with the doomwheel and the screaming bell kits and, as mentioned, there are many ways of assembling it. There's also six heads to choose from for the crew. I'm very happy with it.

Odominus
11-01-2011, 19:24
Cool, I didnt think those were coming out till the 15th...

OldMan
11-01-2011, 19:40
I think about buying 1-2 of these.
Is the kit easily convertable? ( the recent realeases tend not to be) I am thinking about building a heavy plague-wind mortar from catapult and Empire mortar but often what seems a good idea while looking at photos, often turn out to be not so good while looking at actuall sprues.

de Selby
11-01-2011, 19:46
It does seem to have a lego-like potential for re-building. The finished models do look a little awkward but they are solid enough in themselves. I like your version, Grimstonefire.

feeder
11-01-2011, 19:48
No sir, I don't like it. How do they drag those things through the tunnels of the Under-Empire?

Jind_Singh
11-01-2011, 20:23
I thought they looked awesome! When you view the kit in person it's great! And it's huge! All of the new skaven stuff has been home runs all the way

logan054
11-01-2011, 20:28
Looking at the various ways you can build the warp lightning cannon/ plagueclaw catapult

While it might not be fun for skaven players I think as a Chaos player I might have a lot of fun making a hellcannon out of it :D

TheZombieSquig
11-01-2011, 20:46
Cool, I didnt think those were coming out till the 15th...
That's the release date. I advance-ordered them directly from GW website and they usually arrive a few days early.

Is the kit easily convertable? ( the recent realeases tend not to be) I am thinking about building a heavy plague-wind mortar from catapult and Empire mortar but often what seems a good idea while looking at photos, often turn out to be not so good while looking at actuall sprues.
The frame fills a chariot base so it's possible to fit the mortar inside it. Might be a tad big for a weapons team though...

minionboy
11-01-2011, 20:49
I'm a fan of the new Warp Lightning Cannon, not a fan of the catapult though.

Schmapdi
11-01-2011, 20:57
It's ok - but I feel like the frame is too large, making both the weapons look too small.

TheZombieSquig
11-01-2011, 20:58
Regarding the ratapult, I also think it looks pretty rubbish on the box picture. But check out what it looks like when you rotate the frame. I think they look much better when not in the upright position.

BorderKing
11-01-2011, 21:16
I didn't know you could change it like that Zombiesquig. I might buy one to convert into a scraplauncer now.

Dark Aly
11-01-2011, 21:20
My orcs may purchase a couple of these for rock lobbas- i think they can look cool with a little work

loveless
11-01-2011, 21:24
Regarding the ratapult, I also think it looks pretty rubbish on the box picture. But check out what it looks like when you rotate the frame. I think they look much better when not in the upright position.

I'd say the middle build looks the best in both instances. Makes the Plagueclaw not look like a tacked-on bonus to the WLC-kit.

Thanks for sharing.

Navar
11-01-2011, 21:39
I agree with Loveless. I will be building both my Catapults as the middle design.

I have the metal WLCs and they are better IMHO.

decker_cky
11-01-2011, 21:39
I was surprised how small the kit was for the WLC/PC. Only 3 frames worth of stuff on it (aka, 15 clanrats worth of sprue).

PC will get a lot of improvement for using plague monks as the crew alone, and giving it a proper counterweight will make it look very good IMO. It's not too complex, but it doesn't have to be.

I won't be using the frame for the WLC.

edit: Love the alternative positions for the PC too.

OldMan
11-01-2011, 21:49
Thanks for response on conversions.

I must say that i find the models medium at best.
I like the cannon itself, tough all this wood around it seems unnecessery. It should me monted in similar way old one was.
The catapult just looks poor.

I must say that many so many ways the models can be assembled is a big plus. It allows some skaveny humor - imagine a battery of WLCs in which each cannon is mounted on different height.

Am I right? For powergaming purposes, everyone should use the hightest version, to allow shooting over clanrats heads.

kyussinchains
11-01-2011, 22:23
the catapult looks okay but the main failure of the thing is that it attempts to make two completely different war machines from a single kit, and as a result, neither is as good as it could have been as a stand alone model....

I've said before that I think with a bit of creative conversion, you could build both machines out of a single kit (something I fully intend on trying in a few weeks when I pick mine up)

I think that the plague monk crew from the screaming bell are perfectly positioned to be heaving the firing arm into position on a long chain for example.... then they would actually be plague monks as specified in the rules and background, rather than clanrats in gas masks... the gask masks would be nice for PWG conversions too.....

kitbash time!!

decker_cky
11-01-2011, 23:06
the gask masks would be nice for PWG conversions too.....

kitbash time!!

Forgot to mention this. Unlike the doomwheel, the Gas masks on the catapult are scaled similarly to clanrats, so PWG galore indeed!

rollthebones
11-01-2011, 23:31
I agree about the middle two designs looking the best. I can't see how the other two catapult versions could do anything other than topple forwards in an explosion of splinters and dead skaven the moment they fired....

The Oakenshield
11-01-2011, 23:50
I love the models, especially the cannon, but i don't like the catapult with the Warpstone counterweight, it just looks weird.

sknich
12-01-2011, 00:06
At first i was amped just to have a model for the Plagueclaw catapult, but after looking at it it really doesnt fit in well with the rest of the army, IMO. I think ill just convert mine to look like a stolen and warpstone infused grudge thrower. Those models are much more "skaven-sized"

The bearded one
12-01-2011, 00:07
Forgot to mention this. Unlike the doomwheel, the Gas masks on the catapult are scaled similarly to clanrats, so PWG galore indeed!

Way ahead of you. Before the model even came out I bartered 2 gasmask heads with a staffmember who had the kit so I could finish my PWG, in return for some other fancy bit.

My blog is in my sig, where you can see my other 2 attemps without such lovely premade gasmasks.

theunwantedbeing
12-01-2011, 00:42
Honestly?
The Warplightning cannons "stand" seemsa bit silly, looks okayish though.
Aside from how impluasably difficult it would be to turn to face a target. I was hoping for something closer to the previous model.

The plagueclaw catapult on the other hand, very poor.
Far far too simplistic, not enough extra bits to make it look decent.

I was personally hoping for something more like a proper trebuchet, with a giant vat of the stuff it fires sitting under it that it reaches into and then hurls at the enemy, using a dropped weight attached via cables at the front of the machine.

But that wouldn't have made a kit that would easily be turned into a Warplightning cannon.

TheZombieSquig
12-01-2011, 06:19
It's worth mentioning that there's twice as many again poses for the cannon/ratapult because you can turn the armament round so it faces the other way. That makes the PCC look less likely to fall apart when it fires.

I'm using furnace crew and chains for mine, as someone else suggested as well, and I think it's working out nicely.