PDA

View Full Version : Assault on Black Reach

strewart
12-01-2011, 06:31
I'm fairly sure, but just wanted to confirm... AoBR doesn't come with any terrain does it? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the set, or just ebay the mini rulebook. It is a great set and good value, but from an objective point of view I'm never going to start an Ork army and I have about 4000 points of Marines I don't use much already.

Colonel Alexi
12-01-2011, 06:48
No it doesn't come with any terrain.

jt.glass
13-01-2011, 13:28
I'm fairly sure, but just wanted to confirm... AoBR doesn't come with any terrain does it? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the set, or just ebay the mini rulebook. It is a great set and good value, but from an objective point of view I'm never going to start an Ork army and I have about 4000 points of Marines I don't use much already.No terrain, and the tactical marine models are terrible (unless you want to do a parade-ground vignette, maybe). The terminators and captain are a bit better, and the dread is fine.

OTOH, the mini-rulebooks seem to go for ridiculous amount of money on eBay...

jt.

Grand Master Raziel
13-01-2011, 21:20
The Tactical Marines aren't that bad. Their poses are a bit static, but they're nice looking minis. I've seen worse. Heck, I've still got worse in my collection. Just intersperse them with more dynamic Tac Marines you build later. The only mini in AoBR I have issues with is the sergeant. What the heck is he supposed to be pointing at? That mini would be way better if his face was looking at what he's pointing at.

Complicity
13-01-2011, 21:25
The Tactical Marines aren't that bad. Their poses are a bit static, but they're nice looking minis. I've seen worse. Heck, I've still got worse in my collection. Just intersperse them with more dynamic Tac Marines you build later. The only mini in AoBR I have issues with is the sergeant. What the heck is he supposed to be pointing at? That mini would be way better if his face was looking at what he's pointing at.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! the only occasion anyone uses that pose is when a referee sends off a player and points off the pitch...

carldooley
13-01-2011, 21:27
The only mini in AoBR I have issues with is the sergeant. What the heck is he supposed to be pointing at?

ooh, can we have a caption contest? mine is for;
"Shoot that coward!"

ODINM4
13-01-2011, 21:37
mine is

you fools shoot them daemons not those spikky marines probie

strewart
14-01-2011, 00:40
No terrain, and the tactical marine models are terrible (unless you want to do a parade-ground vignette, maybe). The terminators and captain are a bit better, and the dread is fine.

OTOH, the mini-rulebooks seem to go for ridiculous amount of money on eBay...

jt.

Yeah its pretty much a case of mini rulebook on ebay for ~$30 inc postage, or full set for ~$75 inc postage. The full set is obviously better value, but if I don't need the extra stuff I might as well save money.. Are the marines as bad as the 'statue' marines that came with the old paint set? Hands molded to gun just clipped onto chest for those guys.

Mini77
14-01-2011, 00:46
The marines are static poses but they are quite varied with different types of armour and helmets. They're not all identical. Its also fairly easy to convert that sergeant into something more appropriate.

The only model in the set that's not particularly useful is the captain.

Asur_phoenix
14-01-2011, 01:10
I found the set a good start to my Space Marine army. I also bought another tactial squad off ebay (very cheap) the 2 squads fit in just fine with the rest of the squads. The is a nice amount of different armour types and some of the bolters have slings which is a nice touch. As for the sergent GW has made a number of minis in all ranges that have odd poses, this is not the first sergent that is pointing off to the side... Lets not get into powerfists punching up into the air....

I think the set is great value and you can always swap the orcs (go to a store and ask around who has just bought a set) or sell them on ebay.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
14-01-2011, 03:01
Yeah its pretty much a case of mini rulebook on ebay for ~$30 inc postage, or full set for ~$75 inc postage. The full set is obviously better value, but if I don't need the extra stuff I might as well save money.. Are the marines as bad as the 'statue' marines that came with the old paint set? Hands molded to gun just clipped onto chest for those guys.

Unless you collection is REALLY ecclectic, 4000 points of marines should have more then enough for you to take whatever you want in any game. With that in mind, save your money and just pick up the rulebook. The Marines are snapfits, better then the old paint set but significantly worse then what you would find in a tactical marine box.