PDA

View Full Version : What's the obsession with Fenders?

Brother Smith
29-05-2005, 15:27
Why do people love Fenders so much?

After primarily playing Mavericks, Jacksons (now owned by Fender) and ESPs for years, I picked up a Fender a few days ago and I was shocked at the quality (for price) was compared to the previously mentioned companys.

So can someone who has played many kinds of guitar and still thinks Fender are the best, give me a good reason why?

Thanks,
Adam

Thud
29-05-2005, 16:04
I don't play guitar myself, but my mates who do mumbles constantly about it being a good all-rounder and whatnot.

Personally I'm more of a Les Paul fan, 'cause they look cool. :cool: :p

m1s1n
29-05-2005, 22:01
There are a couple things to keep in mind--
The cost of the guitar is going to really affect the quality. There really is a notable difference between a 5,000 dollar guitar and a 400 dollar guitar. Additionally, there are not a lot of guitar makers that provide both high and low end guitars. Gibson is a great example of this. Epiphone is Gibson's "Not made in the USA" brand--and can sound really good, and be really high in price. However, aside from Epiphone, Gibson does not provide a lot of guitars that are less than $1,000 to buy. In some cases you can find a low end Gibson Les Paul for around $800, but usually that is on special--and that is still more than most people are willing to spend on a "low end" guitar. To return to topic--Fender makes a great priced low-end guitar, at the same time providing more expensive guitars for more experienced players. One of their mid-end acoustic guitars, the GA-43 SCE (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0954305221) , has one of the best tones I have ever heard in a guitar for less than $800.

Additionally, it should be noted that a majority of the guitar fashions that we are familiar with have either been designed by Gibson or Fender. Because of this people create a brand-name association to the product. When people think Stratocaster (or Telecaster if you prefer) they will create an intertext relationship to Fender, who originally designed the guitar. The car company Eagle tried to copy Ford's design for muscle cars for years--however, it only lead to people mistaking the old Talon's for Mustangs, creating more familiarity to Ford.

As far as playability, Fender Strats are super light weight, and super comfortable to play. The body design sits just right on me and doesn't weigh me down when playing standing up. The super-sleak body not only looks cool, but does not feel intrusive in the slightest. I find with certain guitars--notably my Les Paul fake and my semi-hollow--that the body design hampers me from playing comfortably. Something I totally dig about Strats is the low action they provide. I've found similar actions on other guitars, but I am always comfortable with the action on a Strat. Additionally, in six-years I have never had to adjust the intonation on my Strat. In contrast, my Les Paul Fake needs the intonation adjusted with almost every other string-change.

My roommate plays an ESP LTD (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/516639/) which I find to be a lot less comfortable than most guitars. I like the sound when I throw up the gain and toss a crybaby on the line, but most of the time I find the sound to be a little flat. I think this is partially due to the fact that ESP makes prodominantly metal guitars--a style which I only "dabble" in.

Something I dig about Fender are these new semi-hollow graphite Acoustisonic Strats (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0139700338) they're making. I hear they also make a Tele version of the same guitar, but I don't like the Tele body as much. The guitar is CRAZY-light, and has the traditional Strat feel. The sound is similar to a plugged-in acoustic, and the knobs are well hidden on the bridge of the guitar.

I hope this explains why I like Fenders. I do know others that hate Fenders--however, they usually just prefer another guitar company instead (usually Gibson or Ibanez). Really I think the perfect guitar is the one that sounds best to you.

Ass Goblin
29-05-2005, 22:15
I don't like the tone Fender's produce. I like a Humbucker sound better than a Single Coil pickup and nearly all Fender guitars use Single Coil pickups. That's my main beef.

first_founding
30-05-2005, 06:28
I agree with m1s1n. Especialy with the copied bits.
For example, when I was looking to buy a my Les Paul I saw alot of copies.
All of them made me think of the GIbson version. Although Fenders may be cheap and light I still prefer the sound of a Humbucker and the look of a LP.
So yeh.

redemptionist15
30-05-2005, 12:51
Fenders tend to have a very high build quality, if you are buying a proper Fender you know you are getting a decent product.

I myself am not such a big fan, i like telecasters but not the strats, also the single coil pickups don't provide a beefy enough sound, or variety.

I have one of the early strat copys, but its loaded with 2 humbuckers so its ok!.

(Evil)Ash
30-05-2005, 15:07
I guess I'm a Gibson kinda guy. though for bass guitars I go for Ibanez.

greetz, :evilgrin:

Ass Goblin
30-05-2005, 23:08
Yo Ash. Next time your in a music store give a Warwick Bass a try. There like gods own Bass. Mind you they weigh a tonne.

arxhon
30-05-2005, 23:51
Yo Ash. Next time your in a music store give a Warwick Bass a try. There like gods own Bass. Mind you they weigh a tonne.

Warwicks rock lke...well, god's own bass. :cool:

The reason they sound so good is because they weigh a ton.

A heavier body generally implies a denser body, which makes for a better, thicker tone. There's a huge scientific thing behind why, but i don't remember it offhand. It's like why compression wound strings give a heavier, thicker tone than, say groundwound.

I once picked up an Aria Pro 2 5 string and played it for a couple of weeks to see if i wanted to buy it. It was super light (especially compared to my Peavy T-34 which weighs about 15 pounds, no joke) and it sounded like it was made out of cardboard. Totally wimpy, even with the same strings through the same amp (i swapped over my DR Handmades specifically to compare the sound the body made).

The T-34 was, iirc, a mid range model in '83, but the heavy tones it kicks out are far better than a lot of modern basses because so many modern basses are so light. It's even more surprising considering it's not a single piece body (2 pieces).

Odin
31-05-2005, 10:53
I like my Fender Precision Bass. So smooth it virtually plays itself. I would probably opt for a Gibson if I bought another guitar though.

(Evil)Ash
06-06-2005, 17:58

this one is totally awesome :evilgrin:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--WRWVAMP4

only I don't think it comes as a 5-string. and I'm a 5-string kinda guy :cool:

greetz, :evilgrin:

redemptionist15
06-06-2005, 22:12
The warwick corvette rockbass is a gorgeous bass. I love the natural finish one's, and they sound so very good, one of the few basse's that can give a low B string a decent tone.

Arxhon what bass do you currently play? 5 string?

Ass Goblin
07-06-2005, 10:01
I love the natural finish one's,

The slightly oil stained ones look wonderfull as well. My current bass is black and every little clip (Damm fingernail) Make it look worse and worse. With an oil finish chips don't do tiddly squat unless there really deep.

Eldacar
07-06-2005, 10:05
Personally, I prefer my Yamaha Pacifica. It plays just fine for me, so I don't really feel a need to buy another guitar.