PDA

View Full Version : all genestealers, all the time...

Lord Squidar
14-01-2011, 05:56
Hey Guys,

I am busy umming and ahhing about 40k again, and looking to start an army. I considered eldar greatly last year, but that phase has passed.

Now I am considerig if its possible to build a tyranid army, with only genestealers. The reasons for this are fluff based, I want to make a themed army of a vanguard brood that has infiltrated a planet and summoned the main fleet, and is now calling in the others.

I think I could make it purely lictors and genestealers, obviously using the ymargl special squad to give me some boost.

So FOC wize is it possible, it is going to survive in a battle? I know genestealers are good in CC. Would it be too much of an aliens rip off if I put in the old style hive tyrant as my other HQ (brood lord as the other) and painted my dudes with shiny black armour...?

Jonnycron
14-01-2011, 06:28
It is possible as you have genestealers in troop and elite slots but not in HQ, I can imagine it would be a fun list to play with as it would involve everything outflanking, infiltrating or appearing in cover but you would lack serious anti tank especially armour 13/14.

As with the HQ I'd got with a winged hive tyrant and hive commander so your reserves come earlier and you can deepstrike it to keep that 'where the hell are they coming from' vibe!

Lord Squidar
14-01-2011, 07:10
would it be worth it to have a single tervigon in the army, who spews out termagaunts. for the termagaunts, keeping with the genestealer theme, i could do guardsman hybrids. just using the cadian troops with genestealer heads, extra arms, guts hanging out, rippers coming out of chests... could be pretty cool too.

I like that everything will be in infiltrate, sounds like the army could be used to be very sneaky and tactical.

Jonnycron
14-01-2011, 07:35
Tervigon's are a very solid choice for any nids list, a high toughness multiple wound monster that spews out extra troops and can grant them FnP, what's not to like :-)

You guardsmen idea sounds pretty cool aswell.

The only problem you may find is that if you go with a tervigon and all genestealers in reserve it will leave just one thing for your enemy to shoot at which could result in a dead tervigon.

I'd suggest having a little play around with lists and see what tickles your fancy, also if you have a look at the tactics threads theres usually some
Good advice to be found there.

Silent_Moebius
14-01-2011, 07:38
When you want all stealer, your only problem is the HQ. You can take 3x Ymgarls as Elite and 6x Genestealers as Troops. Include the Broodlord and you have a hard hitting unit.

The thing with the tervigon sounds really cool. You cood take a single Tervigon as HQ. To speak the truth, I don't think the Tervigon will do anything useful. Ok, he could walk to an objective and sit down there to spawn more scoring units. But when all of your army infiltrates, he is the only one who will start on your side.

If this is ok for you, I say, go with it. I find this very fluffy.

Dunklezahn
14-01-2011, 09:58
And it fits with your alien theme, Tervigon HQ as a brood mother/Queen holding your objective with her children while you swarm the enemy objective with hordes of Ymgarls and Infiltrating/outflanking Stealers. You might struggle against mech spam tourney lists but for casual play it should be fine and pretty cool.

madden
14-01-2011, 11:39
For hq you could use parasite of mortrex winged st 6 rending attacks so could deepstrike in use a cheap unit of gargs as sheild against shooting and still keep the infiltrate style. As the parasite has no model you could use a stealer body with garg wings to keep the look coherent give it a try and good luck.

Eldoriath
14-01-2011, 12:59
Sounds like a fun idea that could look great. But I'm doubtfull if the list will be very competitive although it should be able to win in non-WAAC games =)

DuskRaider
14-01-2011, 19:14
You could probably take a Tyranid Prime and model it as a Genestealer Patriarch or something as well... just an idea.

Clang
14-01-2011, 21:22
Yeah, using a Tyranid Prime would seem the best match for a genestealer themed army. Not keen fluffwise on a Tervigon and associated termagants, unless you change the theme to a genestealer Cult army.

Jonnycron
14-01-2011, 21:44
The only problem with a prime is if you put him with a group of genestealers then they loose infiltrate and fleet possibly ( don't have my codex to hand) and on it's own that's one easy kill point.

Shamana
14-01-2011, 22:01
What about the swarmlord? I think genestealers could infiltrate, and the swarmy has some nice tricks for a reserve game. Combined with the genestealers' outflanking and possibly furious charge, a lot of armies will have to choose between either packing themselves close and limiting their mobility or risking your genestealers ripping their outlying vehicles to shreds.

Moriarty
14-01-2011, 22:20
Hey Guys,

...?

What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

genestealer_baldric
14-01-2011, 22:43
i ran an army like this alot in the previous eddtion it dosnt half scare the oponent and is alot of fun to play. but you will either win very quickly or die , this armys are high risk and dont have alot of staying power since consalidating into units disapeared, BUT IT IS VERY FUN :D

iam also trying this army out again with the new codex and desipite the fact broadlords aint hq anymore:mad:

i think it can be done iam just buying a trevigon and sitting him on my obejective pooping out liitle nids purley for holiding an objective

while yes stealers will have a though time against AV14 i can count in 1 hand in the last 30 odd games ive faced a AV14, so unless you run the list every week and your mates catch on i think you will be ok plus a side note add in sporemines from fast attack and group them in the middle of the board to force the opoents to the edges in deployment which will help you close the distance and get noming.

nedius
15-01-2011, 00:17
Given that I have a genestealer themed army, I think I can help! Or at least, share my enthusiasm for your ideas!

If you want straight genestealers, I've actually found many opponents are happy to dispence with the HQ requirement for a sort of genestealer infestation purge scenario mission. I have enough genestealers to field 1500 points worth of just genestealers and broodlords. It's a fun scenario to play - I get to use loads of gnestealers, my opponent gets a challenging, but far from impossible, scenario quite different from the current mech heavy lists that seem everywhere.

However, with a bit of imagination and converting you can continue the theme into other tyranid units.

Give a 'fex crushng claws and scything talons and you have a huge, hulking genestealer. Lictors are not beyond the theme of a varient genestealer species either. I've even converted a 'genestealer' trygon, which in apoc games I count as a Haruspex - a 'crushing claws/scything talon' version of a trygon. In norml games, again, with player good will I've used it as a haruspex as well, or just a trygon.

As for HQ... well, there you really do have to either use your imagination or rely on other player's good wishes! A swarmlord is a CC monster - what a 'genestealer' hive tyrant should be. So, again, conversion comes to your aid. Covert a hivetyrant to be a giant genestealer and count it as a swarmlord. It's options are fixed, so once it is identified as a swarmlord, there should be little in the way of complaint.

However, to be honest, I've spent far more time modelling this army than I have playing it, so I won't talk tactics.

Laughingmonk
15-01-2011, 07:43
The Parasite might also be a decent HQ in such a "vanguard" list. She's fast, spawns some additional screens, and can puncture vehicles with her fairly high strength and rending. You could model her as a funky flying genestealer!

Clang
15-01-2011, 07:49
Hmm, I like the idea of modelling a swarmlord to look like an giant genestealer (possibly using a carny as a conversion base?) - seems fluffy and tactical for a genestealer list. Depends on your modelling skills though...

TheRatsInTheWalls
15-01-2011, 08:23
There was once an inquisitor scale genestealer. Here's a link to an old discussion which I have only skimmed: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115417
Perhaps you'd be able to track one down.

nedius
15-01-2011, 09:29
The Inquisitor genestealer is very hard to come across, expensive, and only really big enough to be a tyranid prime. Still, if that's the way you want to go, it's a good model.

Kulgur
15-01-2011, 15:58
What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

What is really best in life... (http://www.lemsite.co.uk/images/WhatIsBestInLife.jpg)