PDA

View Full Version : Is this postage right?

Reflex
14-01-2011, 16:26
So here is the short of it:

I live in australia, GW stuff is rudly exspensive here so some of us order from overseasI went to order stuff from the GW brit website like i have in the past only to see that the price of postage was ridiculous. normaly it was about 15 or so percent of the items, but not its just insaine.

as an example, if i wanted to buy 9 ork kannon models, it would cost 145 pounds for the mdoels and 100 pounds shipping.

now, most of the time i order stuff from maelstrom because of thier free shipping, but direct models i have usually got from GW england.

so whats the deal? it this a typo and that its just an estimate that would acutally get sent with a more resonable amount of postage or is this how much they would charge?

cheers

ctsteel
14-01-2011, 21:32
I just logged in and tested an order of 9 ork kannons from the UK GW site (shipping to Melbourne), it came to 139.50 pounds for the models, and 55 pounds for shipping. I took the order all the way to the final confirm screen so it calculated correctly for shipping to my address and handled GST properly etc.

Perhaps try again, and check that you have the correct address and get all the way to the final confirm screen (without proceeding further) to make sure it has fully applied the correct values.

Shipping can add up when the weight of the items increases dramatically - I remember when Space Hulk came out, I was going to order from the UK as the price was about half that of Aus, but the shipping was actually more than the cost of the game! And would have ended up costing more total than getting it from Aus GW so I ordered locally.

Shipmonkey
14-01-2011, 21:36
I'm in the same boat. I use to order from GW UK because with the VAT and the exchange rate it was cheaper than ording from GW here in the US. When attempting to place a recent order I noticed that they have had a massive increase in rate for international shipping. It looks like they are trying to make ordering from the UK as inconvient as possible for the foreign customers.

stroller
14-01-2011, 22:41
Maybe I'm missing something here.... GW make something in England. (So far as I know production is still in Nottingham). They then ship it halfway round the planet to Australia, where, surprise, surprise, it costs more. Why would they make it cheaper NOT to use the local store by keeping Australian postage costs down when they have already incurred a shipping charge?

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-01-2011, 02:16
Maybe I'm missing something here.... GW make something in England. (So far as I know production is still in Nottingham). They then ship it halfway round the planet to Australia, where, surprise, surprise, it costs more. Why would they make it cheaper NOT to use the local store by keeping Australian postage costs down when they have already incurred a shipping charge?

They also have a huge factory in the US, Memphis Tenessee I believe. If im wrong im shure some one will correct me.

Rhamag
15-01-2011, 02:47
The US factory doesn't make anything. It's a condition of their post-911 insurance that they have a 2nd factory overseas. The place is moth-balled. Apparently.

Reflex
15-01-2011, 02:59
I thought most of the plastic stuff was now made in china?

blongbling
16-01-2011, 19:16

plastics are mad in Nottingham as are the metal products for Europe. GW also has facilities in the US for the North markets

Kroot Lord
16-01-2011, 20:36

Nope- just the Citadel stuff, generally (paints and such).

dominic_star
16-01-2011, 21:05
UK mail order retailers must be licking their chops at the extra slice of the overseas Market they are about to help themselves to...

Narf
18-01-2011, 14:04
...and then fainting when the postage they pay goes up as well.

remember that fuel prices have increased, along with some import/export taxes and VAT and equivelants. This means haulage, flight and see transport will have gone up in prices as well.

Yes GW does rip people off on on price, and this can mean it is cheaper to order from the UK when living outside it, but with oil / transport prices going up (and VAT in the UK) it may not be as good a deal for long for overseas customers

bluemage
18-01-2011, 14:24
All that happened is that GW discovered a loophole allowing people to order stuff at a discount, and is now getting rid of it.

plantagenet
18-01-2011, 16:16
Not really with VAT in UK up to 20% the goods are still 30 to 40% cheaper than buying locally in Europe.