PDA

View Full Version : which one

tezza21
15-01-2011, 21:48
hey guys i'm sick of painting orc's. So i'm going back to the chalk board out of high elves ,or empire any help is greatly needed i want a change from painting dirty dark mini's

ftayl5
16-01-2011, 03:38
Empire. Or High Elves.
Both are good choices, for different reasons.
Empire are a top tier army, have great fluff, nice models almost all of which are plastic (and look good), just about everything in their army is at least usable and with their artillery and hordes of cheap reliable troops, they're quite competitive.

High Elves are not so competitive, but not by much. Their guys are generally overpriced and only about half of their units are worth taking (for example Silver Helms aren't even nearly as good as Dragon Princes for only 8pts less and Great Eagles are few in their uses.). They recently got a heap of new plastic kits but some of their models are still old, ugly and/or metal.
What makes High Elves a good choice at the moment is the Island of Blood set, which has over $600 AU of savings. The set includes some beautiful models - all of which are quite good units too, Lothern Sea Guard generally being preferred to plain Spearmen or Archers.

Personally, I'd go with Empire as I prefer their fluff, models and rules but it's completely up to you.

TheYoungin
16-01-2011, 06:04
Go empire everyone seems to be doing high elves now.

Ratbeast
16-01-2011, 06:05
Go empire everyone seems to be doing high elves now.

Agree, with island of bllod out, everyone is doing skaven/high elves, if you want cheap models, follow suit, if not, id go empire

tezza21
16-01-2011, 09:58
yeah i'm gonna hit empire whats the bet route to go with them guy's ?

ftayl5
16-01-2011, 10:31
Battalion or 2, depends on how much you like knights but Empire knights in units of 5 or 6 are pretty good flankers and they're core which is always good.

2 Battalions will give you 20 crossbowmen/handgunners/10 of each
20 Greatswords which is another good unit
40 troops which you can make as 1 big horde of Halberdiers
Get a Warrior Priest too, gives +1 dispel dice, chuck him in the halberdier unit and suddenly they'll re-roll misses.

Then you'll need more state troops and then probably some more after that too.

tezza21
16-01-2011, 10:48
ooo nasty i love the warrior priest with great weapon that mini looks sweet what is the name of the special caracter warrior priest ?

ftayl5
16-01-2011, 10:53
Luthor Huss. Game-wise he isn't really worth it mostly because he has to ride a horse and really he'd be better in a big unit of infantry.

tezza21
16-01-2011, 11:11
good point is there rules for making a kislev army as i love the white wolf knights

Morkash
16-01-2011, 19:26
The White Wolfs belong to Middenheim, a city in the Empire. There was a list for them in the Storm of Chaos book, but you can give your knights twohanded weapons...

TheYoungin
16-01-2011, 23:12
Also,
you say your sick of painting dark greasy orcs, but are you sick of playing them? There a great army and if you tough it through three or four or however many more units you have then you'll be a much happier camper. Another thing who says orcs have to look all mangled? Just like in any society there is going to be the people who look cleaner and take better care of themselves, you could just have a bunch of fun and make Clean-orcs.