PDA

View Full Version : Power Stone history

AMWOOD co
16-01-2011, 14:09
I was told some time ago about a controversy that cropped up with the rules for a power stone back at the beginning of 6th. Now, I'd never heard about this, so can anyone clarify for me what it was, what the major mistake was, and what the correction was? I'm curious.

Note: Rules for the powerstone are on p154 of the 6th edition rulebook.

Leogun_91
16-01-2011, 14:24
I don't know, it could be the same change that went from 6th to 7th though, that in 6th you couldn't get irresistible force with it and in 7th you could.

WusteGeist
17-01-2011, 07:25
More than likely it was folks thinking at first that a power stone would let you toss more than 6 dice at a spell max. As time went on folks read the rules a lil closer and learned that no you can not throw more than 6 dice at ANY spell. Unless you play dark elves then you can throw all 12 if you want.

decker_cky
17-01-2011, 21:35
I think in 6th edition, it was uncertain whether you needed basic dice to use with the power stone. That's the only issue I remember from 6th edition.

AMWOOD co
18-01-2011, 00:32
I don't know, it could be the same change that went from 6th to 7th though, that in 6th you couldn't get irresistible force with it and in 7th you could.

That's spelled out quite clearly in the last paragraph.

More than likely it was folks thinking at first that a power stone would let you toss more than 6 dice at a spell max.

You're thinking 8th edition, this was back in 6th. At the time, maximum number of dice was Wizard Lvl +1. Stayed that way through 7th, as well.

I think in 6th edition, it was uncertain whether you needed basic dice to use with the power stone. That's the only issue I remember from 6th edition.

That could be it. My buddies and I have done that a few times. The second paragraph kind of gives it away as it implies that you can cast spells using only the power stone. Thanks, though, that seems to be the answer.

enyoss
18-01-2011, 03:03
You're thinking 8th edition, this was back in 6th. At the time, maximum number of dice was Wizard Lvl +1. Stayed that way through 7th, as well.

Not this has a huge amount to do with anything, but the Lvl+1 limit was introduced in 7th. I don't think there was any cap in 6th (it might have been 6 dice though).

I can't remember any big to-do about Power Stones myself, but I never played in the competitve scene.

AMWOOD co
18-01-2011, 03:54
Not this has a huge amount to do with anything, but the Lvl+1 limit was introduced in 7th. I don't think there was any cap in 6th (it might have been 6 dice though).

The little box on the bottom left of p136 of the 6th edition book confirms what I said.

I wasn't on the competitive scene then either (it's an 8 hour drive to the nearest Canadian GW store), but I was playing with my buddies pretty much every week by the end of 6th. We had several rules arguements, but the Stone never came up.

Tregar
18-01-2011, 05:02
One controversy in 7th edition (that may have originated in 6th and never been fixed) was whether you could have a power stone AND a dispel scroll AND one more arcane item. As most people took a wizard with a dispel scroll and an arcane item it made it seem like the problem element was the power stone itself, when the stone and scroll both were equally at fault.

Otherwise, no idea!!

enyoss
18-01-2011, 07:45
The little box on the bottom left of p136 of the 6th edition book confirms what I said.

Ah, I can't check but you're no doubt right after all. Thinking on it again I'm sure I was confusing the lvl+1 maximum casting dice rule with the rule stating that wizards could only use their own generated dice (+pool), which was brought in with 7th. Apologies!

One controversy in 7th edition (that may have originated in 6th and never been fixed) was whether you could have a power stone AND a dispel scroll AND one more arcane item. As most people took a wizard with a dispel scroll and an arcane item it made it seem like the problem element was the power stone itself, when the stone and scroll both were equally at fault.

Yeah, I took a Dispel Scroll, Power Stone and the Silver Wand right up to the end of 7th, even posting it in lists on here (and boasting about how awesome those cleansing flares were), and never got rumbled :shifty:. When I found out I stopped doing it, but kept it to myself to avoid my group members stripping me of my pathetic win tally. I'd do it again too, I'd do it again in an instant I tell you!